Renegade-27

J97 and PHRF

I'm considering moving to a J97 from a larger cruising boat.  Singlehanding and overall reduction in sail handling compared to a 35 footer is the objective.

How does the J97 do under PHRF?

I would be sailing with an older, cruising fleet scratch boat by at least 40 sec/mi, but there are also a ton of J80s around to race with.

Thanks in sharing your experience!

From 2015 So Cal PHRF, You can go to https://www.phrfsocal.org/the-boat-rating-process/ in the ratings menu go to the Rating Database and choose Look up by sail number. Then you can see all the info 

Sail Number  GBR5997

Mfg Type  J97

Area  A1 (Santa Barbara)

Designer  JB Composites

Year Built  2011

Hull No  33

Reg No  1243156

Course Type1

W/L

RLC

OWC

Regional Rating

Area A1 Rating

I've wondered the same about the 97. Knowing the rating doesn't really help; its more about how it sails to them. I take solace in the fact that most j-boats do a pretty good job of sailing to PHRF numbers. But YMMV.

Any other info out there on the 97 ? lm also interested in finding out how its rating has worked out. How many in the states? Thinking of moving to boat with interior space to cruise with the family. Currently J109 and J97e are on my short list. Moving from J-100 

No idea about sailing under phrf but otherwise I have three seasons of experience so ready to answer some questions if needed

62D949FA-F0CA-415E-9B00-1C0CE76E833A.jpeg

They sold so few of them in the US that there isn't a large body of PHRF results.  I suspect they would be very competitive if sailed well.  I've never been especially impressed with the way that I've seen them sailed, but they do OK even then.  PHRF is in line with its other handicaps under IRC for example, and its a very competitive boat in that range under IRC.

I really like them, especially the E version.  Just stupid expensive for a 32 footer (in the US market, at least).

4 hours ago, Dacron said:

They sold so few of them in the US that there isn't a large body of PHRF results.  I suspect they would be very competitive if sailed well.  I've never been especially impressed with the way that I've seen them sailed, but they do OK even then.  PHRF is in line with its other handicaps under IRC for example, and its a very competitive boat in that range under IRC.

I really like them, especially the E version.  Just stupid expensive for a 32 footer (in the US market, at least).

Agree.  About the perfect size for a family cruiser and Wed. night PHRF boat.  Saw a used one for sale for just under $200k. Uh, no thanks.

The one here stinks up the race course compared with 105s, 80s, 24s, just about anything. Sad cuz it's truly pretty vessel.  Under-canvassed?

On 9/6/2020 at 2:00 AM, JimBowie said:

The one here stinks up the race course compared with 105s, 80s, 24s, just about anything. Sad cuz it's truly pretty vessel.  Under-canvassed?

We have no problems beating 80´s on the water, no 105´s around. Compared to 109´s we are slightly slower upwind in DH setup(97 is perhaps a bit more sensitive for weight on the rail), slower on jib reaches due to waterline but equal downwind.

In general she seems to sail up to her ORC handicap.

12 hours ago, Nubben said:

We have no problems beating 80´s on the water, no 105´s around. Compared to 109´s we are slightly slower upwind in DH setup(97 is perhaps a bit more sensitive for weight on the rail), slower on jib reaches due to waterline but equal downwind.

In general she seems to sail up to her ORC handicap.

What's your typical wind range?

On 9/7/2020 at 9:21 PM, JimBowie said:

What's your typical wind range?

Light wind in the Baltic sea. Today though 20kts breeze, outsailed J/80s and J/92s upwind.