Alaris

Has anyone actually ordered water ballast on a 99?

Or is this feature still exclusive to the 121 in practice?

There are two in the Pacific Northwest.

There is one in Toronto but I don't know the owner. I spoke to one of the crew and he said the commissioning process was slow due to the water ballast set-up which was the only reason I knew.

4 hours ago, jackolantern said:

I saw one with a Wheel the other day... looked odd

Does it look as strange as the 97 with a wheel? If it’s not recessed, I imagine it would. 

DB07A0DA-90AA-4EC4-ACF9-8898656388B3.jpeg

10 hours ago, jackolantern said:

I saw one with a Wheel the other day... looked odd

I had the same thought when I saw one.

On 7/28/2020 at 8:34 PM, Alaris said:

Does it look as strange as the 97 with a wheel? If it’s not recessed, I imagine it would. 

DB07A0DA-90AA-4EC4-ACF9-8898656388B3.jpeg

The wheel option is recessed on the 99

4 hours ago, JL92S said:

Thank god. That 97 looks stupid as hell. 

On 7/28/2020 at 6:27 AM, danstanford said:

There is one in Toronto but I don't know the owner. I spoke to one of the crew and he said the commissioning process was slow due to the water ballast set-up which was the only reason I knew.

I'm the owner, the ballast pump needed to be below the water line to function properly (wasn't from the factory), and the lines used to open the valves had way too much friction. I believe mine — hull 33 — was only the 2nd with water ballast so I guess they haven't worked out all the kinks yet.

On 7/29/2020 at 3:54 PM, JL92S said:

The original concept was to have a recessed wheel, but I guess J/boats decided it was too costly/difficult so one of the first wheel-equipped boats came non-recessed, closer to the 97 wheel, which was way too small for such a beamy boat. The owner of that 99 and myself had a larger diameter wheel custom fitted and recessed. J has since changed the option because other dealers were asking how to do the same.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, evandinsmore said:

I'm the owner, the ballast pump needed to be below the water line to function properly (wasn't from the factory), and the lines used to open the valves had way too much friction. I believe mine — hull 33 — was only the 2nd with water ballast so I guess they haven't worked out all the kinks yet.

The original concept was to have a recessed wheel, but I guess J/boats decided it was too costly/difficult so one of the first wheel-equipped boats came non-recessed, closer to the 97 wheel, which was way too small for such a beamy boat. The owner of that 99 and myself had a larger diameter wheel custom fitted and recessed. J has since changed the option because other dealers were asking how to do the same.

She sure is pretty!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, evandinsmore said:

Mind posting some photos of your wheel setup? I have never seen a photo of a 99 with a wheel. Curious about how much of the water ballast system is visible as well. 

18 hours ago, Alaris said:

Mind posting some photos of your wheel setup? I have never seen a photo of a 99 with a wheel. Curious about how much of the water ballast system is visible as well. 

Sure, the only tell for the water ballast system are the control lines in the companionway and the vents in the cockpit.

This was the original wheel spec shown in the manual, you can see the similarity to the 97 wheel:

5A34A6D2-8551-4C97-873F-C4BF63B8D331.thumb.jpeg.12db3bf9d638cfeab2abbf3828b57d5c.jpeg

Here’s my wheel install:

F0ED2366-12C6-4A72-A855-764BCC1607E0.thumb.jpeg.2a6903e17aa85b8add05ea1b1cd47926.jpeg
And I believe this is the new stock wheel, after several J dealers were asking to replicate the recessed wheel of the two Toronto boats:

8F5D74B0-4F45-4D37-B9D4-C700999F717A.thumb.jpeg.1b422eb7370ee60555ea8bd0f97ecb1e.jpeg

I still like mine because I have the chartplotter on the pedestal, but this is much better than the original.

Also here’s a diagram of the ballast system:

2EFD7E59-5E56-47F9-BF43-45611AB967D4.thumb.jpeg.36e8b266f8e0c78de6df823332c0a3c5.jpeg

• Like 1

That looks great! I like yours for the reason you noted (chart plotter) but the J solution is slick as well. I’m a wheel kind of guy, so despite those who protest that the 99 should be tiller steered it looks just right to me with a wheel.

• Like 2

How does that work with the chart plotter?

I hardly ever stand behind the wheel (only sometimes when going downwind in heavy weather).  I normally sit beside or in front of the wheel.  So doesn't make is more sense to mount the plotter with the screen facing frontwards or make it pivoting so you can turn it around depending where you sit/stand?

Given that it’s narrower at the bottom, I suspect the chart plotter pedestal version will need some kind of fabric barrier going across the boat to stop lines getting sucked into the recess / wheel. 

5 hours ago, ZeeZee said:

I hardly ever stand behind the wheel (only sometimes when going downwind in heavy weather).  I normally sit beside or in front of the wheel.  So doesn't make is more sense to mount the plotter with the screen facing frontwards or make it pivoting so you can turn it around depending where you sit/stand?

Looks like he has at least 3 displays to view....

5 hours ago, ZeeZee said:

I mostly use it for charts, choosing waypoints, engaging autopilot, and other brief interactions, so it’s easy access from either side by standing up. I have H5000 and 20/20 displays for viewing instruments/other info.

4 hours ago, Snowden said:

Given that it’s narrower at the bottom, I suspect the chart plotter pedestal version will need some kind of fabric barrier going across the boat to stop lines getting sucked into the recess / wheel. 

Haven’t had a problem so far, and the J version doesn’t fully cover the recess at the sides where there’s more potential for problems. I have accidentally put my foot in the recess and stopped the wheel but that’s user error :)

That ballast system looks very much like mine.  I have a Mount Gay 30.  Is the pump electric?

What handicapping rules are you racing under, and how do they deal with water ballast?  

My sailboat is ashore this year but I hope to do some racing on Lake Ontario next year.  

Nice looking boat!

17 hours ago, Jeff F said:

What handicapping rules are you racing under, and how do they deal with water ballast?  

I'm racing under PHRF-LO. I believe water ballast is rated on a case by case basis. In the case of mine, which only really replaces 2 people on the rail, and isn't much use in course racing where there's a lot of tacking, there's no rating hit.

And yes, electric pump and gravity transfer.