Sign in to follow this  
2slow

Thankful my kids don't like country music

Earlier today my wife and I were counting our blessings; we are healthy as are our children, we both have jobs, a house over our head and our children don't like country music.

I haven't seen the polling but it would not be surprising if the only group that supported tRump in larger numbers than motor boat owners was counrty music fans.  

2 minutes ago, 2slow said:

Earlier today my wife and I were counting our blessings; we are healthy as are our children, we both have jobs, a house over our head and our children don't like country music.

I haven't seen the polling but it would not be surprising if the only group that supported tRump in larger numbers than motor boat owners was counrty music fans.  

Seems like the majority lean that way, or it may be that they assume their potential pool of fans lean that way.

A number do not, such as Garth Brooks and of course the Dixie Chicks.

- DSK

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 2slow said:

I suspect there's a lot of overlap in that Venn diagram.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2slow said:

Probably a very high correlation between country music and NASCAR fans

4 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

I suspect there's a lot of overlap in that Venn diagram.

like a double struck coin

Of course you know when you play country music backwards,

You git your girl back.

You git your dog back.

You git your truck back.

You git your guns back.

You git your drinking problem back.

Have I missed any?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Navig8tor said:

You git your girl back.

You git your dog back.

You git your truck back.

You git your guns back.

Have I missed any?

You get your brain back and throw away all that shit.

Hey, Like you I used to be a snob about country music.

I quite like some of it these days.

Steve Earle is my favourite long drive music :D

You just reminded me to watch Ken Burns' "Country Music" doco.

1 minute ago, Ishmael said:

I love me some country music.

love it , thanks :)

I'm still learning 

16 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Is this country?

It depends on what country.

I can tell you're not from around here

- DSK

If you've got a decent sounding system or headphones, this song is worth a listen at a reasonable volume.

These guys live just down the river from us, they do a great show

"Let's play some barbeque music"

I guess one thing you have to understand, barbeque is a religion all it's own through most of America (and the Caribbean) but it means different things in different places.

- DSK

• Like 2

One of my favorite albums - Dolly, Linda Ronstadt and Emmylou Harris (please don't call me because I will pull up stakes and be there in a heartbeat m'kay)

Its from their Trio II album. Those women can sing. Ken Burns does a great job, I grew up listening to country and never cared for it, studied classical, played rock and roll, and now realize I like anything that is well done and from the heart. Now? Some old George Jones, sure. Willie Nelson? While I still favor Beethoven, Mozart and classic Jazz there are ones like this - imo an incredible talent from song writing to expressing some heartfelt feelings

• Like 2

Emmylou is a national treasure.

• Like 2

Bluegrass musicians hate that fucking orange fuckstick 

• Like 2

New country eats dick. 

This is where it’s at. 

• Like 1

I think where and when I grew up, country music was just Slim Dusty and Johnny Cash and "standing by your man".

All that sentimental Tammy Wynette stuff.

Not a fan.

Of course, "The Blues Brothers" has a lot to answer for :D

Doug Sahm. The guys got armadillos embroidered on his shirt FFS ! 

I kinda prefer listening to the David Allan Coe version but Steve Goodman and John Prine wrote it.

I've always had a soft spot for Bluegrass. There's even a group Gangsta Grass that sounds pretty good. 

So...what type of country is Patsy Cline, tammy wynette dolly parton, johnny cash etc?

I grew up in a household with jazz and classical, in a region where there was nothing but country music, in an era when country music was schlocky, totally repetitive crap.

But wait! Here and there were some guys doing old-time stuff, some folk musicians, mountain music... bluegrass was a new invention, and this kind of stuff began gaining a foot hold, and the sound made some inroads into 'pop' country.

Ken Burns' documentary on Country Music was great, although it would have been better IMHO playing the songs thru at least a second verse, more times. My wife was amazed at how much of the musicians, and the songs (remembered the words) that I knew although she should not have been because our first non-sailing date was an Emmy Lou Harris concert.

Some more Molasses Creek-

These guys have deservedly burst out of "local band" status, they do a little of everything (I've seen them do songs from 'Oklahoma' and follow up with a medley from 'South Pacific'). They're great musicians and they're fun.

5 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

So...what type of country is Patsy Cline, tammy wynette dolly parton, johnny cash etc?

Johnny Cash is one of the definitive everything-country musicians. Hell, he was married to June Carter. There was a period where he was not that popular, between his war protest songs and his hanging out with black musicians, the mainstream pop country world didn't just turn it's back on him, they spit on his shadow. But he made a comeback and made enough money that they pretended to kiss and make up. You are probably most familiar with the early Nashville sound of what I consider pop-country, nasal accents and twangy guitars and cowboy hats on guys that can't tell a horse from a porch swing.

- DSK

I grew up in a house where music was Carmen Jones, South pacific, Burl Ives and gene pitney with a little Chopin Grieg and Tchaikovsky (Musta been popular if one wanted to appear "respectable"

Then I started hanging around with the high school band 

Shocking musical snobs..they even scorned ACDC :D

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

You git your girl back.

You git your dog back.

You git your truck back.

You git your guns back.

Have I missed any?

Your trailer home doesn't get hit by a tornado or divorce 

3 minutes ago, warbird said:

Your trailer home doesn't get hit by a tornado or divorce 

Joke - what do a Tennessee divorce and a Texas tornado have in common?  Somebody's gonna lose a trailer in both.  Emmylou is a treasure and has likely done more duets than any singer on the planet - her voice is so clean and pure. Melts my heart every time.  I was never a fan of top 40 of any genre - especially country an rap. Some people consider John Prine to be country - there is a thread in GA that features a bunch of his great stuff. There are some little known gems out there like this woman who died way too soon.  I love any music that is from the heart so my music list is pretty eclectic to say the least.

That includes some George Jones and Hank Williams and Johnny Cash. Willie Nelson. And since this PA will close with this

1 hour ago, d'ranger said:

One of my favorite albums - Dolly, Linda Ronstadt and Emmylou Harris (please don't call me because I will pull up stakes and be there in a heartbeat m'kay)

Its from their Trio II album. Those women can sing. Ken Burns does a great job, I grew up listening to country and never cared for it, studied classical, played rock and roll, and now realize I like anything that is well done and from the heart. Now? Some old George Jones, sure. Willie Nelson? While I still favor Beethoven, Mozart and classic Jazz there are ones like this - imo an incredible talent from song writing to expressing some heartfelt feelings

Townes Pancho and Lefty seems undeveloped compared to Willie  and Merle (?), different strokes?

7 minutes ago, warbird said:

Townes Pancho and Lefty seems undeveloped compared to Willie  and Merle (?), different strokes?

he wrote it.

Under produced. I like it that way.

My favourite Townes song

Played it for the kids at Dads funeral.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, warbird said:

I started to post a clip of just him talking and playing, really raw and simple and my favorite. He was an amazing yet little known talent and revered by Willie, Merle and a lot of the greats. Just never tried to be commercial, it may be an acquired taste. He does an interesting version of the Stones Don't Send Me Dead Flowers - one of the few he didn't write.

Oh what the hell, here it is.  Somebody once asked him why he didn't do any happy songs and replied those are the happy ones.

You got me on a Townes run now :)

Pipped me :)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

I started to post a clip of just him talking and playing, really raw and simple and my favorite. He was an amazing yet little known talent and revered by Willie, Merle and a lot of the greats. Just never tried to be commercial, it may be an acquired taste. He does an interesting version of the Stones Don't Send Me Dead Flowers - one of the few he didn't write.

I will not question his talent.  Willie  broadcast it  with a full development (?).  We are on the same page here.

• Like 1

I couldn't remember it before but check out Townes Live at the Old Quarter - he was a Texas boy and this was recorded not far from me. If you just listen to one make it Tecumseh Valley.

• Like 1

Hippies playing country music is tough to beat. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

he wrote it.

Under produced. I like it that way.

My favourite Townes song

Played it for the kids at Dads funeral.

is the best edition of it by him, imo

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Al Paca said:

Hippies playing country music is tough to beat. 

4 hours ago, 2slow said:

Bigot much? 

2 minutes ago, Venom said:

Bigot much? 

Get used to it. I'm bigoted against racist losers like Trump too.

2 minutes ago, Navig8tor said:

Proof it’s a bot, no fucking sense of humour.

It's not a bot, it's a fucking stupid human.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

It's not a bot, it's a fucking stupid human.

Autoerotic asphyxiation accident left him with severe brain damage.

19 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Well that's looking on the bright side. BTW- I don't listen to country music either. 

25 minutes ago, Venom said:

Bigot much? 

Now this was a nice bipartisan thread until you came along.

Bugger off.

• Like 1

Just now, Shortforbob said:

Now this was a nice bipartisan thread until you came along.

I take it you don't like country music much either. :D 

It's the same as all popular music genres: 5% inspired brilliance, 15% well-produced good stuff, 80% varying degrees of dross.

NashVegas Brocountry "product" is 99% shit, but it's beautifully produced and the players are great.

I don't like much country but Willie and Townes are great. White man's blues at its best.

Top bluegrass players are several levels scarier than Hendrix. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Venom said:
7 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Well that's looking on the bright side. BTW- I don't listen to country music either. 

Well, that's one of country music's bright spots

- DSK

11 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Is this country?

This might help explain things.

• Like 2

We all need a little Stevie.........

• Like 1

What Texas lacks in politicians we make up for it with musicians. Willie Nelson of course, Bob Wills, Ernest Tubb, Buddy Holly, Lightin Hopkins, for a look at a group that had 7 million people tuning in every week in the early 40s. https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/o-sister-where-art-thou/

Story about the Goree Girls who formed a group when they realized that the men at Huntsville Prison Rodeo got special privileges,  story written by my favorite writer Skip Hollandsworth.

Accompanied by the Rhythmic Stringsters, yodeler Mozelle McDaniel leads the Goree Girls at the prison rodeo.

In the early forties, eight inmates of the Goree prison unit formed one of the first all-female country and western acts in the country, capturing the hearts of millions of radio listeners. Then they nearly all vanished forever.

Now for something humorous from one of Texas current treasures

Robert Earl Keen is a mainstay at San Francisco's Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival.

3 hours ago, Jules said:

This might help explain things.

14 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Is this country?

And Western.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Fat Point Jack said:

14 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Is this country?

And Western.

And cuz your from Chi, the base of the bridge they jump over has/had the best smoked fish store around.

12 hours ago, Venom said:

I take it you don't like country music much either. :D 

Country music is kind of like hip hop, some people hate it precisely because others love it.

But the music is obviously awesome, everyone from George Jones to George Strait, Kenny Rogers to Kenny Chesney. So "alternative country" is marketed and produced that aims to a new demographic. This thread is full of alternative country, some of it is pretty good, too.

But enjoying country music without Johnny Cash or Chris Janson is kind of like enjoying Christian Hip Hop without Tupac and Nas.

• Like 1

Gotta admit, I thought the thread was going to be about Michael Harriot's recent tweet:

On which note: are the Gourds considered Country?  Pretty sure it was someone on here that introduced me to this most excellent band...

RE Townes, I always thought he was someone you just couldn't cover & do justice to, until I heard the Be Good Tanya cover  Waiting Around to Die...

But my current obsession' is Rhiannon Giddens

• Like 1

Nice clips Frenchie - had not heard of Rhiannon - the fretless banjo certainly fits the period style of music she does.  Makes up for Mikey's clip which illustrated what 2slow is thankful for.

See this is what I don't get.

Country singers like Tammy Wynette, Johnny cash, Dolly, sing completely different stuff than the likes of the Be Good Tanyas. 

The Dead South are worlds away from Townes V and Stevie Ray? (I wouldn't call his style country at all isn't he a blues guitarist?) .

Steve Earle is nothing like patsy cline.

So  

There must be some sort of sub genres?

Surely the BGT's are folk?

Is bluegrass really "country music" or is it folk music?

Maybe one could call the sounds of Dolly and Tammy Country pop?

Agggghhhh!

and what is the "Western" bit :D Chris Christopherson?

There's a bit of crossover to everything.

2 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Country singers like Tammy Wynette, Johnny cash, Dolly, sing completely different stuff than the likes of the Be Good Tanyas. 

The Dead South are worlds away from Townes V and Stevie Ray? (I wouldn't call his style country at all isn't he a blues guitarist?) .

So  

There must be some sort of sub genres?

Surely the BGT's are folk?

Is bluegrass really "country music" or is it folk music?

Maybe one could call the sounds of Dolly and Tammy Country pop?

Agggghhhh!

and what is the "Western" bit :D Chris Christopherson?

So in the beginning a bunch of Euro folks migrated to 'Merica and brought their music with them. Then the trouble started.  Bluegrass is just bluegrass, Folk is folk, Country is Western unless it isn't.  Blues and Jazz originated here. So with that in mind if you can work out how to categorize all these you will be famous.

And it's Kris K.  :)

2 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

So in the beginning a bunch of Euro folks migrated to 'Merica and brought their music with them. Then the trouble started.  Bluegrass is just bluegrass, Folk is folk, Country is Western unless it isn't.  Blues and Jazz originated here. So with that in mind if you can work out how to categorize all these you will be famous.

And it's Kris K.  :)

nOrbRdu3JWH8IJ2lthUrKEjFS22q4Nj-eu4JvVzx

• Like 1

C&W is white man's blues.

But the white man hasn't got the roots of oppression to pull it off, which is why his wife leaves him, his dog dies, and his pick-up truck breaks down.

Let’s not forget about Alt Country which I’m gonna guess most of you know nothing about.

• Like 2

On 7/29/2020 at 7:38 PM, 2slow said:

Shit like that and you suggest that others have intentional bias? Bite your damn tongue!

23 hours ago, d'ranger said:

Outta likes, but a big country Hell Yeah from this AC/DC, Van Halen, Buddy Guy, Al Di Meola loving SOB. 

23 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

But the white man hasn't got the roots of oppression to pull it off, which is why his wife leaves him, his dog dies, and his pick-up truck breaks down.

Well, OK, but he is fundamentally useless. Why would any being beyond a crawfish put their future on the line with that specimen? There's a reason he's portrayed as

redneck.jpg

32 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Well, OK, but he is fundamentally useless. Why would any being beyond a crawfish put their future on the line with that specimen? There's a reason he's portrayed as

Does he need a haircut, Ishmael or is it that you don’t like the color of his skin, truck or was it the straw in his mouth that got you so angry and triggered?

You’re a fat ass bigot Ishmael.

7 hours ago, d'ranger said:

Nice clips Frenchie - had not heard of Rhiannon - the fretless banjo certainly fits the period style of music she does.  Makes up for Mikey's clip which illustrated what 2slow is thankful for.

She's sort of a musician's musician, I guess?  She's played with Seeger, and T-Bone Burnett...  

And a music historian... (did you know? The banjo's originally from Western Africa; slaves contributed that instument to the American musical tradition.  I didn't know that.) 

I came across a youtube vid of her singing in Gaelic, or something, with a european orchestra...    

Also used to lead an alt-country band called the Carolina Chocolate Drops:

And they've played the Opry  -   which settles any question about whether she or they qualify for the thread.

7 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

I know what you mean, because I was a bit surprised to see Samantha Fish in this thread.  In my mind she's "electric blues", like Stevie Ray, not "country". 

But music classification isn't exactly an exact science.  People try to segregate things, but genres cross-fertilize all the time.  My 2 favourite covers of Sam Cooke's A Change is Gonna Come (a classic "soul" song) are by Billy Bragg (a British "folk punk" singer), and Beth Hart (an "electric blues" singer).  And they're as different from each other as they each are from the original:

Music's an actual, real, Melting Pot.  Trying to fit musicians into segregated classifications is doomed to failure, they're constantly miscegenating...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Venom said:

Does he need a haircut, Ishmael or is it that you don’t like the color of his skin, truck or was it the straw in his mouth that got you so angry and triggered?

You’re a fat ass bigot Ishmael.

Speaking as a woman..He looks like a dufus. Don't care for the hair, the skin colour (where's the working man's tan) the straw (there are things called toothbrushes now) or the truck. And don't even ask about the beard.

9 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Speaking as a woman..He looks like a dufus. Don't care for the hair, the skin colour (where's the working man's tan) the straw (there are things called toothbrushes now) or the truck. And don't even ask about the beard.

Looks like a goddamn hippy with a mullet. :angry:

On 7/30/2020 at 8:35 PM, Mrleft8 said:

Plenty of white men years ago know about oppression.   They fled it.

On 7/31/2020 at 3:42 AM, Shortforbob said:

So you are judging based on skin color, hair style, etc.  what’s the term for doing that?

5 minutes ago, Rok Dog said:

So you are judging based on skin color, hair style, etc.  what’s the term for doing that?

perceptive .

Just now, Shortforbob said:

perceptive .

What if the skin color wasn’t white, the vehicle not a pickup?

On 7/31/2020 at 6:42 PM, Shortforbob said:

Speaking as a woman

giphy.gif

13 minutes ago, Rok Dog said:

What if the skin color wasn’t white, the vehicle not a pickup?

r/KnowYourMeme - [INTERVIEW] We Sat Down With Zach Downey, The Face of "Almost Politically Correct Redneck"

much mo betterer.

Zach Downey

n Halloween night all the way back in 2003, Zach Downey, who was 30 years old at the time, arrived home from work and cut his hair into perhaps the most famous mullet to ever grace the internet in the span of just five minutes. As the seemingly insignificant photo began to spread online, it slowly morphed into the Advice Animals meme known as “Almost Politically Correct Redneck,” depicting Downey as an ignorant hillbilly who attempts to voice his opinion on various issues, only to miss the mark considerably. Now, over 16 years later since he snapped the image in 2003, Downey works as an immigration document technician for a university in Colorado where he lives with his wife. We managed to track him down and ask him about the meme, what he’s been up to and how he feels about being the face of a controversial meme format.

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/almost-politically-correct-redneck

45 minutes ago, Rok Dog said:

Shhhh, she got no mirrors in her house and don't know what ugly is.

• Downvote 2

6 hours ago, Rok Dog said:
On 7/30/2020 at 9:35 PM, Mrleft8 said:

Plenty of white men years ago know about oppression.   They fled it.

So they could inflict it on others.

- DSK

8 hours ago, Rok Dog said:

Registered Republican. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Al Paca said:

Registered Republican. 

Ding, ding, ding

We have a winner