Alaris

Clipped Swan

There is something weird going on with this rig, right? Has it been sectioned together from a larger mast?

739E26E1-5AB0-415E-BBFE-CD37765CFD6A.thumb.jpeg.121c1d888e447eb23bb8987fd0aa57d0.jpeg

Just below the spreader there is some stuff by the tree line. Looks like foam or somethimg. That boat should have a double spreader rig.

• Like 1

The runners really threw me for a loop. 

For scale, I believe the boat next to it is a Swan 38. I think this one might be a 44 (46?) yet the rig is the same height as the 38. Truly strange looking. 

All the older Swans were massively over wicked to ensure high speed planing in even 12 knots of breeze.  This is just an attempt to bring the massive SA/D within safe margins.  Everybody knows this. Thank god somebody put safety over performance for once. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, gullwinkle said:

There is a mast going into the original mast.  May be temporary for a delivery.

That is a lot of rigging to set up for a temporary rig. You may be right. But still. 

Been there done that. Running in the Windward Passage rolled the mast out of Jemel a Chance 44 swing keel ketch off Cuba back in the 70s.  The Haitians in the repair shop in GETMO spliced a much smaller broken junk mast into our stump. Made for a fine sail back to Fort Lauderdale using anything that would fit flying.

image.thumb.jpeg.91077a1c9ac9c3452f33c3a1e9524e7f.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr Moab said:

All the older Swans were massively over wicked to ensure high speed planing in even 12 knots of breeze.  This is just an attempt to bring the massive SA/D within safe margins.  Everybody knows this. Thank god somebody put safety over performance for once. 

bahahaha! good one.

Looks like a stick replacement and what was available at the time was a sturdy fractional rig off something smaller that probably came with a decent sail wardrobe and cheaper than replacing or repairing with original rig spec OR

they lost the top section and rerigged it fractional....Perhaps a sailing school vessel that doesnt need a full rig. ?

It’s a temp rig used to get the boat from Tortola to Annapolis.  The boat had a cell phone tower fall on it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, alphafb552 said:

I'd think the boat lives behind a fixed bridge so the owner shortened the rig for easy access to sailing water

The bridge clearance here is 75’. I took the photo. 

4 hours ago, USA190520 said:

It’s a temp rig used to get the boat from Tortola to Annapolis.  The boat had a cell phone tower fall on it. 

Aha! Mystery solved

7 hours ago, USA190520 said:

Can you hear me now?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Alaris said:

There is something weird going on with this rig, right? Has it been sectioned together from a larger mast?

739E26E1-5AB0-415E-BBFE-CD37765CFD6A.thumb.jpeg.121c1d888e447eb23bb8987fd0aa57d0.jpeg

40 minutes ago, Donms said:

Two boats side by side.

You can see the blue bow of the other boat at the transom. Also you can see the foil on the headstay. The boat in the background appears to be missing it's boom (maybe in the shop for repairs? The blue awning is over the Swan's cockpit.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, USA190520 said:

Where I live you would have to go inland aways and up a decent hill to get a cellphone tower to fall on your boat .  

19 hours ago, DRIFTW00D said:

Been there done that. Running in the Windward Passage rolled the mast out of Jemel a Chance 44 swing keel ketch off Cuba back in the 70s.  The Haitians in the repair shop in GETMO spliced a much smaller broken junk mast into our stump. Made for a fine sail back to Fort Lauderdale using anything that would fit flying.

That's a cool looking boat.  Sort of a baby Equation?

Had to rig Matrero, a 1971 50 foot Frers just like that, after the mast broke just above the second spreaders on our way from Azores to Cadiz. Not a pretty sight!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matrero said:

Had to rig Matrero, a 1971 50 foot Frers just like that, after the mast broke just above the second spreaders on our way from Azores to Cadiz. Not a pretty sight!

Vicky Agote skipper? 

Jury RIg ...or a low bridge on the way into the harbor.....(Ice the owner) ... he won't know anything till we get back offshore....Hey boss we hit a squall ...but we are all ok.

9 hours ago, Donms said:

Two boats side by side.

yyeeaahh...

you see, that is not the problem here.

23 hours ago, USA190520 said:

The conspiracy theories were right all along. 5G IS dangerous!!

• Like 5

On 7/29/2020 at 10:02 PM,  DRIFTW00D said: 

On 7/30/2020 at 5:06 PM, Ned said:

That's a cool looking boat.  Sort of a baby Equation?

Same idea canoe hull swing keel yet the 1971 Equation was a Yawl, Jemel was  Ketch.both ior.

Equation - Director Delivered the 61' Britton Chance designed ocean racing yawl

1971-Equation.jpg?resize=819%2C389&ssl=1

Put out the garbage on the wrong day, cuz a dinger neighbor did?

PVC pipe only comes so long and after putting a bunch of sections together they probably ran out of glue. 

19 hours ago, DRIFTW00D said:

Same idea canoe hull swing keel yet the 1971 Equation was a Yawl, Jemel was  Ketch.both ior.

I had always heard Equation referred to as a Ketch. 

Knew about the smaller later daggerboard boats starting with Resolute Salmon. 

The mizen is way to far back when launched to be a Ketch.

I liked the early 70s 1 toner winner 1974 SORC Ted Hoods Robin Too 2  had a board in her keel and a extension in her hollow rudder that slid out. shoal draft with lots of grab with deep draft when needed. 

For those who were debating the boat next to it I took another pic on my way out today. Also note the giant gouge on the starboard aft quarter that supports the “large object falling on boat” theory. 

B27777A4-7DE8-4235-9B24-04B8246CFD58.thumb.jpeg.10e1a131dce4cdb1fea6372be952a42c.jpeg

On 8/1/2020 at 5:59 PM, DRIFTW00D said:

Close to a yawl, but its a ketch.  Mizzen mast stepped forward of rudder post.

1 hour ago, Alaris said:

For those who were debating the boat next to it I took another pic on my way out today. Also note the giant gouge on the starboard aft quarter that supports the “large object falling on boat” theory. 

B27777A4-7DE8-4235-9B24-04B8246CFD58.thumb.jpeg.10e1a131dce4cdb1fea6372be952a42c.jpeg

Hi,

Looks like an S&S Swan 57?

The 57 and the Swan 47/48 were the prettiest Swans ever built I think. Pure class.

37 minutes ago, trisail said:

Hi,

Looks like an S&S Swan 57?

The 57 and the Swan 47/48 were the prettiest Swans ever built I think. Pure class.

She is indeed a 57, after a cursory google search. If her factory rig were still intact, I do not believe she would fit here (75’ clearance). 

3 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Close to a yawl, but its a ketch.  Mizzen mast stepped forward of rudder post.

Not according to the Derecktor Shipyards History Page.

Whos going to call them to make the correction if needed? B)

Equation - Delivered the 61' Britton Chance designed ocean racing yawl

Yah, I saw her just once at work, 1974 new  out of the box when launched at Ross Yachts yard in Clearwater, Florida for the One Tun Cup that year,. Never knew how great she was that year till yesterday. Great Name, jib trimmers area cutout and the hollow rudder and keel were stand outs in the yard .