SF Woody Sailor

Video editing & "quick cuts"

So what is up with video editing these days? It more or less doesn't matter what the video is (sailing or otherwise), but if it is professionally produced each shot lasts about two seconds. This is nowhere near enough time time to enjoy what is happening let along take a look at what kinds of blocks and clutches the good guys are using. Maybe I can understand this at the AC level, but the competitors have spies so what do they think they are hiding? Why would a promotional video be intentionally annoying? After trying to watch some of these MedCup videos hoping to use a stopwatch to marvel at their string takedowns at the leeward mark I want to go out and find the video editor and, very, very slowly, lower him into a vat of boiling tar. 

Does everyone have ADD?

Did everyone start taking blow while I was having Dark N Stormies?

Is the world out to get me?

(the last one is a rhetorical question, I know the answer is yes)

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

Does everyone have ADD

Yes

• Like 2

It's not about the subject, it's about how it makes you FEEL! - hi tech sports equals adrenaline, tough guys looking tough, DYNAMIC!, ACTION!

Hence the short cuts... nobody wants to waste time actually seeing what is going on...

Well apart from us old farts here... So apparently we're not their target market...

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, alphafb552 said:

So apparently we're not their target market...

Except we are the target market. How many of those 20 year old adrenaline junkies are in the market for life insurance? Or natural gas derivatives? Or commercial aircraft? Or $2000 purses?

• Like 1

Don't know about life insurance, but the natural gas guy just wants to FEEL YOUNG! DYNAMIC! That's more of a vanity thing.

Lots of 20 year olds are in the market $2000 purses, they just convince someone else to pay for it, someone who wants to FEEL YOUNG! DYNAMIC!

It depends where you are consuming the footage...
If it's on facebook or Instagram then it's people won't watch more than 15 seconds, so it's edited for that.  

Youtube / Vimeo on the other hand gives a lot more scope longer cuts and longer videos. 

Furthermore, advertising is not about the product, its about brand awareness, and projecting the values that the brand wants to be associated with

Especially where sailing sponsorship is concerned, precious few products have a direct link with sailing, so basically it is ALL about the brand

49 minutes ago, alphafb552 said:

Furthermore, advertising is not about the product, its about brand awareness, and projecting the values that the brand wants to be associated with

Especially where sailing sponsorship is concerned, precious few products have a direct link with sailing, so basically it is ALL about the brand

I have spent years in the advertising business and understand the idea of projecting brand values and attributes. As far as I can tell the attribute they are projecting is MASSIVELY ANNOYING.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mozzy Sails said:

It depends where you are consuming the footage...
If it's on facebook or Instagram then it's people won't watch more than 15 seconds, so it's edited for that.  

Youtube / Vimeo on the other hand gives a lot more scope longer cuts and longer videos. 

I don't have an Instagram account or use FB.

I am referring to videos I see on the FP of this site, promotional videos for the MedCup or Ocean Race, America's Cup teasers, etc. The cuts are so fast you can barely read the boat names let alone the sponsor names. Random individuals aren't likely to watch these videos only sailors, and presumably the sailors would like to see what the fuck is happening rather than get epileptic seizures.

My racing videos are all short because:

1. instagram only lets you post 60 sec clips

2. any longer than that and you’d see our fuckups

26 minutes ago, Salona said:

My racing videos are all short because:

1. instagram only lets you post 60 sec clips

2. any longer than that and you’d see our fuckups

A single 60 second shot is great. If it is a good weather mark rounding or leeward mark rounding I might learn something. If it is a shitty rounding I will definitely learn something. 

What I can’t stand is 30 X 2 second shots spliced together. 

You are now a square peg in a round world.  Want to win a video award?  Get clicks?  Get money and swag?  Then bow to the masses and produce video clips like this one.

These are clips of the GoPro Million Dollar Challenge.

3 hours ago, Morgan Crewed said:

You are now a square peg in a round world.  Want to win a video award?  Get clicks?  Get money and swag?  Then bow to the masses and produce video clips like this one.

These are clips of the GoPro Million Dollar Challenge.

I don't mind being a square peg. I don't want to win a video award or get clicks or money or swag.

What I would like would be, for example, an overhead shot of a TP52 start from the five minute gun uninterrupted through the first cross. Some audio from the boats at the pin and boat would be nice. Some expert commentary would be gravy. A tactician who knows his shit not some moron who is explaining what leeward is to other morons. However, it would still be interesting with no audio.

1 hour ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

I don't mind being a square peg. I don't want to win a video award or get clicks or money or swag.

What I would like would be, for example, an overhead shot of a TP52 start from the five minute gun uninterrupted through the first cross. Some audio from the boats at the pin and boat would be nice. Some expert commentary would be gravy. A tactician who knows his shit not some moron who is explaining what leeward is to other morons. However, it would still be interesting with no audio.

5 hours ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

A single 60 second shot is great. If it is a good weather mark rounding or leeward mark rounding I might learn something. If it is a shitty rounding I will definitely learn something. 

What I can’t stand is 30 X 2 second shots spliced together. 

8 hours ago, alphafb552 said:

How about a 10-second clip of the grampa from the simpsons raising a fist from his walker to shake it at the sky? Or a tenner of me, clicking onto google and looking up "shouting into the wind"?

The world sucks everything's shit and people are awful*, welcome to 2020.

*no one knows how to drive Trump's president the planet's literally dieing my generation can't even afford to have kids the right has basically embraced open fascism and the American left party's prescription for it is a liberatory movement fed through the verbal fart-machine of a corporate HR department set to "maximum academic" the economy's fucking fucked did I mention the way people drive** landlords are increasingly empowered to create mini-fiefdoms everyone talks and acts like they're twelve while the absolute worst people win at literally everything like some kind of holodomor where you only survive if you're willing to eat your own children or kill your neighbor, and on and on.

**seriously slow. the fuck. down.

2 hours ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

SF Woody,  I too am a square peg in a round whole world.  I am a scuba diver and drifted away from underwater, still photography and now into video.   Been taking webinars to learn video editing and all I see are a series of 3 second to 5 second clips spliced together to match the beat of the music.  No story telling or explaining what you are seeing.  Guess I am a documentary type guy.

On 7/31/2020 at 4:20 PM, Breamerly said:

**seriously slow. the fuck. down.

Please stay to the right (if you are in the US) so you aren't in my way.

3 hours ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

Please stay to the right (if you are in the US) so you aren't in my way.

Car culture can't die soon enough.

4 hours ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

As long as you stay in the right lane we can coexist happily.

Guys who think the roads are their personal racecourses always think they have special skills and reflexes that make it safe for them to drive the way they do. Until they wipe out a family of four, or mow down a kid on a bike.

When I see zippy shits in my mirror I camp in that left lane with the gusto of a viking cracking a soup bone and drinking the marrow.

4 minutes ago, Breamerly said:

When I see zippy shits in my mirror I camp in that left lane with the gusto of a viking cracking a soup bone and drinking the marrow.

I hope you get the ticket you deserve for doing that. Meanwhile, I will be passing you on the right.

15 minutes ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

I hope you get the ticket you deserve for doing that. Meanwhile, I will be passing you on the right.

That's a clever strategy, but it assumes the right lane is open.

1 minute ago, Breamerly said:

The ticket I deserve? For driving the speed limit?

Yes.

In California Vehicle Code 21654: "Notwithstanding the prima facie speed limits, any vehicle proceeding upon a highway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time shall be driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction."

Almost every state has a similar law. You should study it so you can pass a DMV test before dispensing your incorrect, self-aggrandizing and moronic advice.

31 minutes ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

Yes.

In California Vehicle Code 21654: "Notwithstanding the prima facie speed limits, any vehicle proceeding upon a highway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time shall be driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction."

Almost every state has a similar law. You should study it so you can pass a DMV test before dispensing your incorrect, self-aggrandizing and moronic advice.

Who said anything about moving at less than the speed of traffic?

The fact is speed kills, and speeders kill, but they're too wrapped up in how it makes them *feel* to consider the impact of their actions on others. Instead, they're chasing their own satisfaction while putting everyone around them at risk - the epitome of selfish rot.

If that doesn't apply to you, don't be offended.

1 minute ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

The ticket I deserve? For driving the speed limit?

Are you under the impression that speeding is legal (or safe) in the left lane, because you're "passing"?

It's cool. I know endangering everyone around them makes the zippy boys feel like race car drivers or fighter pilots.

Also, you won't be passing on the right if I'm next to, say, a semi.

25 minutes ago, Breamerly said:

Who said anything about moving at less than the speed of traffic?

You have been editing your posts in a, so far useless, attempt to appear less moronic. Before you edited and reordered your posts you implied you couldn't get a ticket for driving the speed limit. In California (and almost every other state) you can definitely get a ticket for driving the speed limit if you are not in the right lane. In clear weather during daylight there is basically nobody doing 55MPH in a 55MPH zone except uphill when some buses and concrete trucks labor. If you drive 55MPH in any lane but the right most lane it is very dangerous, and YOU are likely to cause a multi car accident. Very, very few accidents are caused by sober drivers exceeding the posted speed limit. Germany, which has much faster highway speeds, has much lower fatalities per million miles traveled. Speed alone doesn't kill. Bad driving (like your threat to camp angrily and resentfully in the left lane) does kill.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

You have been editing your posts in a, so far useless, attempt to appear less moronic. 

I edited my posts as I went for length and simplicity, each before you replied, but whatever.

8 hours ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

you implied you couldn't get a ticket for driving the speed limit.

I was referring to driving the same speed as traffic, in the left lane, and briefly enjoying the sensation of blocking someone trying to drive *faster* than everyone else. But again, whatever.

8 hours ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

Very, very few accidents are caused by sober drivers exceeding the posted speed limit.

If you care about actual data, you can read NHTSA's cause analysis of 6,900 case study crashes (both fatal and non-fatal) : speed or aggressive driving was the root cause of 1-in-7.Screenshot_20200803-090454.thumb.png.85a9aaaf33ddb371fd5e59ff36c00339.png

Your claim that alcohol is to blame for most of those is easily debunked: an NHTSA sample showed intoxicated speeding was responsible for around 15% of fatal crashes, whereas speeding alone was closer to 20-25%. 

Other NHTSA data found 57% of all at-fault drivers in fatal speed-related crashes were sober. That duplicated results from previous years, btw.

Again, if it's not you, no need to be offended.Screenshot_20200803-083600.thumb.png.f661e6a5fdef25d8eed329a0abf020d5.png

Screenshot_20200803-082258.thumb.png.5fb935e9f00f9c5a2dceb445cb9d484b.png

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/812687&ved=2ahUKEwizrYCxrf_qAhVMa80KHaxbCoQQFjAaegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw2i37PqsSsSqJosL4dCnYMm

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/811059&ved=2ahUKEwi_gLejp__qAhWUZs0KHSasCtUQFjAJegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw1oez6lwa75ymtCkyewURZI

5 minutes ago, Breamerly said:

I was referring to driving the same speed as traffic, in the left lane, and briefly enjoying the sensation of blocking someone trying to drive *faster* than everyone else.

Actually, your words were "The ticket I deserve? For driving the speed limit?"  Yes, you deserve a ticket for driving the speed limit in the left lane if the prevailing speed in the left lane is faster than the speed limit.

You said "When I see zippy shits in my mirror I camp in that left lane with the gusto of a viking cracking a soup bone and drinking the marrow."

That would constitute 1) Distraction 2) Daydreaming 3) Illegal maneuver 4) Aggressive driving behavior and 5) driver error. Together these constitute the cause of 30.9% of accidents in your 13 year old NHTSA study. That study did not include any percentage attributed to driving in excess of the posted speed limit. 

Have a nice day. Please stay to the right.

On 7/31/2020 at 2:47 PM, SF Woody Sailor said:

You're confused in thinking that any of us are the intended audience for these videos, zoomer or boomer. 

These are vanity projects of old man trying desperately to feel young and full of spunk. 

• Like 1

One might argue that passive aggressive driving can be more dangerous than aggressive driving.

Clogging the left lane intentionally is an idiotic move that leads to multiple dangerous situations as an after effect. In Germany, where the barrier to entry(6 months to get your license)is more stringent , both clogging the left lane and passing on the right are ticket offences.

Try driving on the Autobahn (or what’s left of it) at 100 clicks in the left lane with a big merc barrelling down on you at more than double your speed.

Good luck.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

your 13 year old NHTSA study

The old Distract-Attack-Repeat, eh?

The numbers are consistent over time, as evident in the other study I cited, from 2017, but fine - I can see that what's important to you is maintaining your own personal narrative.

Personally, I can admit my actions aren't perfect. But there's also a reason you don't see PSA's everyday saying 'occasional left-lane camping kills.'

Anyway, have fun making threads about how the kids don't do video right and then monitoring it 24/7. Car culture can't die soon enough.

27 minutes ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

44 minutes ago, Breamerly said:

I edited my posts as I went for length and simplicity, each before you replied, but whatever.

I was referring to driving the same speed as traffic, in the left lane, and briefly enjoying the sensation of blocking someone trying to drive *faster* than everyone else. But again, whatever.

If you care about actual data, you can read NHTSA's cause analysis of 6,900 case study crashes (both fatal and non-fatal) : speed or aggressive driving was the root cause of 1-in-7.Screenshot_20200803-090454.thumb.png.85a9aaaf33ddb371fd5e59ff36c00339.png

Your claim that alcohol is to blame for most of those is easily debunked: an NHTSA sample showed intoxicated speeding was responsible for around 15% of fatal crashes, whereas speeding alone was closer to 20-25%. 

Other NHTSA data found 57% of all at-fault drivers in fatal speed-related crashes were sober. That duplicated results from previous years, btw.

Again, if it's not you, no need to be offended.Screenshot_20200803-083600.thumb.png.f661e6a5fdef25d8eed329a0abf020d5.png

Screenshot_20200803-082258.thumb.png.5fb935e9f00f9c5a2dceb445cb9d484b.png

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/812687&ved=2ahUKEwizrYCxrf_qAhVMa80KHaxbCoQQFjAaegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw2i37PqsSsSqJosL4dCnYMm

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/811059&ved=2ahUKEwi_gLejp__qAhWUZs0KHSasCtUQFjAJegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw1oez6lwa75ymtCkyewURZI

Annnnnnd You went to the police academy to learn the skills to properly determine what "Driving Aggressively" is and how to stop it.  Or,Your extensive knowledge gained from years on the police force gives you the skills necessary to safely control multiple cars going 55 MPH + in close proximity with your 4 ton automobile.  Or, Your Intense study of High speed collisions and fatalities has given you the ability to make a split second decision that could affect multiple cars, family and Pets around you all while driving a 4 ton auto at 55+.  One of these must be true for you to unilaterally decide that anyone passing in the left lane is. a psycho and your job is to stop them by any means necessary.  

Take the bus please, you don't deserve a license let alone free reign on our highway system.   

Entitlement. I can do what I want, legal or not, dangerous or not, inconsiderate, rude or not (camping in left lane, speeding; add in making a 5 ft inner harbor wake (eat shit M/V Aphrodite), 85 dB party at 0230 (eat shit neighbor), unmasked, MAGAts). It’s what’s driving the US to shithole status. 

Re speeding, karma sucks. On my routine 16 m trip to Uni you’ll pass me at 70 in a 40, jam on your brakes at the toll, and be exactly 10 feet in front of me 14 miles and three traffic lights later. Until you’re ticketed, then I’ll get there sooner.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Breamerly said:

Personally, I can admit my actions aren't perfect. But there's also a reason you don't see PSA's everyday saying 'occasional left-lane camping kills.'

Car culture can't die soon enough.

This thread is about the current fad for video editing consisting of very rapid cuts of short video segments. I don't know if the editors or old or young, but it really doesn't matter because the current fad is counterproductive to the target audience of sailors who might be interested in the Med Cup or America's Cup or whatever.

If you wish to have a thread devoted to your bullshit sanctimonious advice about driving please start a thread on PA. In the meantime, the 55mph speed limit was not brought in for safety reasons. It was brought in for fuel economy reasons during the OPEC embargo, and with oil at $40/barrel nobody drives 55 anymore. I was on 101 a few minutes ago. Five lanes, broad daylight, visibility to the horizon. The right "slow" lane was going 75. If you put yourself in the left lane going 55 with the "gusto of a viking cracking a soup bone and drinking the marrow" then you will either get a ticket, cause a serious accident or provoke a road rage incident from someone as moronic as yourself. If you no longer have the reaction time to drive safely and the wits to follow the keep right law you should really reconsider whether you belong on the road.

If you wish to have a thread devoted to your bullshit sanctimonious advice about driving please start a thread on PA.

I mentioned it in passing, as a tiny part of an obviously jokey post. You're the one who started picking the bone - it's poor form to get pissy because I fired back.

the 55mph speed limit was not brought in for safety reasons

Yeah this is right along with "but the autobahn!". Kinetic energy increases with the square of speed, and stopping distance isn't linear either - 55 is markedly safer than 75. This is all very well documented.

Frankly, I mentioned camping basically as a troll - I mean, sure, I may have done it a time or two out of pure spite - but your insane reaction really proves my point about the way speeders view the world and personal responsibility. Rather than deal with the evidence, you're most interested in justifying continuing to do whatever you want. The epitome of the car/fossil fuel/entitlement culture that is literally destroying our planet. Hence my original joke post - welcome to 2020. Have fun while it lasts.

*edited to make less snarky and add context

Well many of us just prefer to abide by the law.

If you want to lower speed limits and pass on left laws then get lobbying.