Sign in to follow this  
nmanno

Broken Marstrom mast for free

Hi guys,

I have a broken 20m long Marstrom rotating wing mast that broke in 2 with some delamination where the breakage occurred. It was used on a 40ft racing trimaran. The breakage occurred between the 2 spreader pairs. I haven’t measured it but I would guess at c.8m height. The spreaders are damaged and the carbon standing rigging is shot. Apart from the breakage the tubes are in decent shape.

I have the drawings of the mast when new. I can also send pictures.

The mast is currently stored in Hong Kong and will be cut into pieces and disposed off if no-one cares. 

Whoever is interested in saving these 2 pieces, pls pm me. 

uhmm, if this was i little bit closer, i'd be tempted...

• Like 1

Hmmm, a 14m section would be great for my 30'er, but I don't think getting it to Aus from HK is feasible for me :(

Don't cut that thing up. A Marstrom mast is like gold.

• Like 1

I’ve got a broken marstrom mast in oz. pm if interested. 18.6m off an extreme 40.

• Like 1

I have a broken in half Marstrom spar also, it's around 35' long - seems like a lot of broken Marstroms.

Ok, why is no one fixing them? I thought it was a legit option.  I am guessing it's a combo of weight gain, loss of structure/performance, ability to  do and certify repairs/ cost... But I would love to hear some specifics.

Lot’s of broken Marstrom carbon rigs out there now. Where were they when I needed one? Depending on where they are broken they can be easy to fix. I’m sailing mine now with the splice at my spreaders an it’s fine. Would have loved a Marstrom though. 

10 hours ago, iSprucie said:

Ok, why is no one fixing them? I thought it was a legit option.  I am guessing it's a combo of weight gain, loss of structure/performance, ability to  do and certify repairs/ cost... But I would love to hear some specifics.

It can be because of the nature of the break and having to lose some length and all of the complexity that goes with that, but I'll bet it's more because everyone nowadays has their insurance company buy them a new one.

On 8/1/2020 at 8:16 AM, boardhead said:

I have a broken in half Marstrom spar also, it's around 35' long - seems like a lot of broken Marstroms.

Is it a beach cat mast or could the section be appropriate for a G-32? 

• Like 1

was your mast built before or after Marstrom changed hands?

• Like 1

On 8/1/2020 at 11:16 AM, boardhead said:

Photos? Dimensions?  What is it off? Where is the break?

2 hours ago, Russell Brown said:

RUSSSELLLLLL. ...................You have the perfect mast on your G-32. Moving right along!

43' keeler race boat boom?

1 hour ago, Raz'r said:

43' keeler race boat boom?

That's a great call. Any of these on the U.S East Coast?

6 hours ago, Russell Brown said:

4 hours ago, basketcase said:

Photos? Dimensions?  What is it off? Where is the break?

So it's 33' of 10" x 4" teardrop with around 1/8" wall, too light for the Gougeon or much else save a short lived, oversized beach cat.

Not sure why all the enthusiasm for Marstrom, looking at the break the fiber orientation is screwed up and the layup looks questionable given the delamination.

Depending upon the nature of the break the repair does not necessarily have to shorten the spar. This mast could be spliced back together and with some additional external longitudinal and hoop laminate start a new life on a heavier, more powerful platform but is it worth doing?

Right now it's destined to become light, stiff, aerodynamic bimini supports!

The I - word, Insurance is what stops most of us from going down this path. Would love to replace the overweight alloy juggernaut on my F31R with one of these or some others I know that are lying around, but an assessor looking at the black pieces scattered on the deck further down the line would easily deduct they were not original. Good luck finding anyone to sign off on a survey of a sleeve-repaired Marstrom/Omohundro/SpaceX mast. I still shed tears when I look at pics of the perfect Omohundro I sold with my F28R, a realistic replacement value figure for it would be at least 30k AUD. Lump in throat now, have to go for a walk.

Peter 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, boardhead said:

So it's 33' of 10" x 4" teardrop with around 1/8" wall, too light for the Gougeon or much else save a short lived, oversized beach cat.

Not sure why all the enthusiasm for Marstrom, looking at the break the fiber orientation is screwed up and the layup looks questionable given the delamination.

Depending upon the nature of the break the repair does not necessarily have to shorten the spar. This mast could be spliced back together and with some additional external longitudinal and hoop laminate start a new life on a heavier, more powerful platform but is it worth doing?

in a short while, im driving through your state, from rhode island, to new mexico..... i may be interested in it.

Boardhead, your mast must be from a Marstrom 32, of which many have broken but they are super light. 

Don't worry Wayne, my mast is fine, but there are other G-32's out there with relatively heavy noodles for masts.

Plywoodboy (I'd have called myself that if you hadn't taken it first), my G-32 mast started as an Omohundro blank for an F-25. I bought 2 of them way back when and cheap because the bolt rope track was messed up. It is pretty good for my boat as it's hell for stout at about 60 lbs. 

12 hours ago, plywoodboy said:

The I - word, Insurance is what stops most of us from going down this path. Would love to replace the overweight alloy juggernaut on my F31R with one of these or some others I know that are lying around, but an assessor looking at the black pieces scattered on the deck further down the line would easily deduct they were not original. Good luck finding anyone to sign off on a survey of a sleeve-repaired Marstrom/Omohundro/SpaceX mast. I still shed tears when I look at pics of the perfect Omohundro I sold with my F28R, a realistic replacement value figure for it would be at least 30k AUD. Lump in throat now, have to go for a walk.

Peter 

I walk past it every week and share your pain........

On 8/3/2020 at 3:52 PM, boardhead said:

What is the removal bounty for someone to come remove this piece of trash from your property?  :-)

• Like 1

On 8/1/2020 at 7:25 AM, solosailor said:

Broken rig laying around the SF Bay Area also.

Please tell me more! I could use a 30' section for my Newick Outrigger 26, it's light, and low volume floats, might not need too much reinforcement to be strong enough. I live near the bay area.

On 8/1/2020 at 8:16 AM, boardhead said:

Are you thinking of getting rid of it? wanna sell a 30' chunk of it? How much would it cost to ship it to California?

I would be happy to sell you a 30' chunk!

You are correct that the low RM of the Outrigger 26 would not overload the section, but you should certainly make the rig rotating. The 34' overall would leave plenty after discarding the broken ends and making an internal splice for a 30' spar.

PM me.

20 hours ago, boardhead said:

I would be happy to sell you a 30' chunk!

You are correct that the low RM of the Outrigger 26 would not overload the section, but you should certainly make the rig rotating. The 34' overall would leave plenty after discarding the broken ends and making an internal splice for a 30' spar.

PM me.

The current rig is an oval, not even a teardrop, and is rotating. I have read that the oval is actually not as bad as you might think, aerodynamics can be counterintuitive, but it's also fairly heavy for what it is. I am only just now getting into it, and it is still possible that the prototyps is not a good boat, but I have hopes, and if it is, a nice light stick would be a great addition to its usefulness and speed. The hulls are very light and narrow, so efficiency is the name of the game. The amas are small, but the boat is 21' wide, so it won't puch on them very hard. There would be a pitchpole risk at high load, as the floats are short, narrow and banana shaped, compared to more modern designs but that is down to the skipper to manage with reefing and careful seamanship. It is a historic boat, and I can't wait to get it out on the water and see what she'll do!At worst, she'll probably be a great light wind boat, but I am in SF bay so...