Alaris

That’s... uhh... one way to install a traveler

16 minutes ago, Alaris said:

Seen on Facebook822BCE75-6EEF-4237-90B6-A55595574C2F.jpeg.0d007e0b31c5375bf78296ef50c8ce60.jpeg 

it will do the job... has enough length... and will quickly get several negative names from hurt crew members ... 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, AnotherSailor said:

Each time I see something like that I am thinking: wtf did you do that to the future owner (could be many of us)

It was no easy install either! Look at all those posts. 

7 minutes ago, Alaris said:

It was no easy install either! Look at all those posts. 

No easy install, but easy to create some holes that will lead to a rotten core....

I thought some sort of award should go to the you-tuber's boat that has the traveller integrated into the dry exhaust pipe - 

A little hard to see here but I'm not going to scrub through video to find a better pic.

6wytlSWLZOekXguiTU0lJCLwyHkmqoXkxYmcdjFr

Sunfast 3200s and Ofcet 32s have been built within the last 10 years with that sort of arrangement- just to name a few. 

They’re not intended for crews and re install - no one is installing those posts in cores without overfilling with epoxy. 

American workmenship man differ. 

Traveler hell;  look at those ankle breakers along either side of the cockpit.

This skipper must hate his crew or is an orthopedic surgeon in need of work.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, daan62 said:

it will do the job... has enough length... and will quickly get several negative names from hurt crew members ... 

Talk about making a High Mass out of a Hail Mary!  That is so overbuilt, it's ridiculous!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Alaris said:

"Mannerberg 38 built in Sweden 1995."  Only Swedish boats I'm familiar are the Swede 55, Folkboat and Hallberg Rassy's.  All cool, well designed and built boats, but not serious racers like this.  I still say it's way overbuilt for the task at hand.

48 minutes ago, billy backstay said:
14 hours ago, daan62 said:

Talk about making a High Mass out of a Hail Mary!  That is so overbuilt, it's ridiculous!

Hey you want wimpy stuff that breaks?

Also it makes a DEFINITE dividing line to keep the grubby crew on -their- side.

FB- Doug

8 hours ago, Geff said:

Just thinking of all the added weight in the arse end.

Its a fence to keep crew weight forward.

• Like 1

I wonder what size would be recommended for mounting unsupported between the coamings?  Maybe this process goes something like: "Well, here's the size we'd need to use it unsupported between the coamings, so let's bump that up by one to be safe, then let's add a bunch of supports in the middle to be extra safe."

The clown must own a welding shop. Wayyy too much welded tubing for a race boat. Even the tailpipe. A tube farm. Is there a sweet race boat under there somewhere.

That traveller would certainly be strong enough to span unsupported. It's a tiny boat. I wouldn't think the deck especially stiff at those points...but maybe there is more tubing under the deck.

Perhaps the doofus that polishes the swim ladder could learn to coil lines...

That traveler, the ankle breakers, and the swim ladder operate as a warning system:

"Yes, I need crew and if you talk sailing words you can any job on the boat you want, but sailing with me is a nightmare and you're likely to be injured"

I understanding the Oh Shit granny rails on the cockpit sole for hiking, but if you need to install 2 stanchions to support your traveller, then you need no traveller.

Did you notice the instruments over the companionway.

Someone just likes to mount things on posts.

• Like 1

Somewhere out there will be pictures of a Peterson 46 (?) frac rig out of San Fran that had a raised curved travelor that ran gunnel to gunnel, about 12' wide Early '80's vintage

Keerist, it looks like a movie set for the Thunderbirds. Was expecting to see Thunderbird 2 landing near the suspension bridge whilst the monorail hurtles towards towards certain doom.....

1 hour ago, Zonker said:

I just noticed the wee stub posts on the deck too.

image.png.64b222a37e1f5801ec7f6594208248ed.png

To a hammer everything looks like a nail.

1 hour ago, longy said:

Somewhere out there will be pictures of a Peterson 46 (?) frac rig out of San Fran that had a raised curved travelor that ran gunnel to gunnel, about 12' wide Early '80's vintage

Would that have been a radiused, curved traveller? I know they were popular in the late 60’s on keelboats and a few 1/4 tonners from some of the boats I’ve seen.

7 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

Would that have been a radiused, curved traveller? I know they were popular in the late 60’s on keelboats and a few 1/4 tonners from some of the boats I’ve seen.

They werre allso bigge in Littelle Americas Cup.

I am not a fan of sheeting in by easing the treaveller.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

And the Big Americas Cup too.  On Gretel 2 the hydraulic vang was mounted to a car on a curved track,  curve was "squashed" in at the ends due to boat being too narrow for an even curve.

20 hours ago, Tropical Madness said:

Built like a monorail track. Geezus....also makes sure nobody is hiking out behind the helm...

Did someone say Monorail?

If nothing else it should stiffen up the aft portion of the hull.

5 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Whaa?! They stole the Kenyon traveller setup from  Everett Pearson? Bastards!

On 7/31/2020 at 5:58 PM, Albatros said:

at least it will live up to its' name, question is if there is some real gain.

By having the traveler up higher his mainsheet can be ten feet shorter, so he saves both money and weight for the line. It also serves as a barrier to keep crew weight forward while making it absolutely clear who the afterguard are, since only they are allowed back there.  What you don't know is that the aft sections of this boat were really underbuilt.  Under spinnaker in waves  the two sides of the cockpit begin to splay, going out of true by about two feet.  The "traveler" is actually a structural beam (almost an ama) that serves to hold the boat together when it blows more than 12 knots.   Since it is obviously carbon, its weight is negligible, and the different roles it plays make it invaluable. 

• Like 4

WTF are those section of ss pipe on the cockpit sole? Did anybody notice that the stern light is on a little ss post. All of the instruments are suspended above the cabin house with .... ss pipe. 

I’m thinking this guy is a stainless fabricator that bought a boat, somebody bought himself a mig welder and a few 10’ sections of 3/4” tube for Christmas or a rigger who has lost his mind. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PaulK said:

By having the traveler up higher his mainsheet can be ten feet shorter, so he saves both money and weight for the line. It also serves as a barrier to keep crew weight forward while making it absolutely clear who the afterguard are, since only they are allowed back there.  What you don't know is that the aft sections of this boat were really underbuilt.  Under spinnaker in waves  the two sides of the cockpit begin to splay, going out of true by about two feet.  The "traveler" is actually a structural beam (almost an ama) that serves to hold the boat together when it blows more than 12 knots.   Since it is obviously carbon, its weight is negligible, and the different roles it plays make it invaluable. 

It's also not your grandfather's roller bearing traveller, with all that old fashioned rope 'n shit.

THIS traveller is paired linear actuators, digitally controlled via an AI scanner which montors speed, heel, helm angle, and dilation of the skipper's eyes. It automatically adjusts to accelerate the boat out of tacks, not just according to the boat's polars but the AI learns the skipper's routine and expectations and gets better with each tack.

The only problem is, it's secretly in love with the vang.

FB- Doug

• Like 3

6 hours ago, CaptainAhab said:

WTF are those section of ss pipe on the cockpit sole? Did anybody notice that the stern light is on a little ss post. All of the instruments are suspended above the cabin house with .... ss pipe. 

I’m thinking this guy is a stainless fabricator that bought a boat, somebody bought himself a mig welder and a few 10’ sections of 3/4” tube for Christmas or a rigger who has lost his mind. 

Don't forget the flaccid exhaust pipe 

Should have made it longer.

Would have eliminated the need for outriggers when reaching with three headsails.

This boat is the equivalent of those cars that Crome trim everything. This person just used Crome pipe everywhere. That tailpipe is hilarious. 

Reminds me of Fazisi, the more you look around the more you scratch your head. 

What horrible traveler-related accident did this owner experience that led him to vow, "never again!".

I don't think it's about the traveler. I think he's terrified that his open transom is structurally unsound and the boat is at risk of splitting in half.

"There, that'll fix it. Two birds, one stone."

• Like 1

Adds a whole new dimension to the phrase “beam ends”

Wonder what the drag of that beam is?

Looks like a highly effective air brake.

On 8/1/2020 at 10:12 AM, ALL@SEA said:

Its a fence to keep crew weight forward.

I was thinking of just the traveler and all the hardware putting it together and holding it in place.  Wasn't clear enough about what I was referring to.

59 minutes ago, Shu said:

What horrible traveler-related accident did this owner experience that led him to vow, "never again!".

Or if his mom was scared by a traveler while pregnant with him

FB- Doug

another way to do it......and with the right off wind headsails you really only need the traveler except for sail shape, twist, fullness at the bottom, etc. up to a broad reach- 22.5 degree swept spreaders. 

DA9F1C6B-6B57-479B-8CFC-36CC2E0A121C.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Amati said:

another way to do it......and with the right off wind headsails you really only need the traveler except for sail shape, twist, fullness at the bottom, etc. up to a broad reach- 22.5 degree swept spreaders. 

DA9F1C6B-6B57-479B-8CFC-36CC2E0A121C.jpeg

Nice, you can actually see some Nordic 40 and some FT-10 there.

2 hours ago, See Level said:

2 hours ago, See Level said:

Great Auntie & Mama Kitty!  To do a self tacking jib track in the same style, though.....$$$$$$.  But stubbing toes on the Exposed Selden or Harken bracket hardware seems bloody....

14 hours ago, rbridges007 said:

Reminds me of Fazisi, the more you look around the more you scratch your head. 

I saw Fazisi in Newport.The halyards were rusting steel cable with meat hooks. It’s amazing no one died on that ride. 

Functional.... Just like the Toilet cubicle and handrail upgrade all the parts came from.

In this part of the world, the word “Traveller” has another meaning, in addition to the boat part.

I recommend that you look it up and you will then discover a) why I’m reluctant to provide it and b) how funny this thread can be using that other meaning.

• Like 1

Class 40's don't even have that much structure, even IMOCA's don't. With all that stainless steel foot rests and support brackets, the metal fab guy's T-top business must be slowing down....

• Like 1

Remember that $10 bet we made about me modding my boat so I wouldn't need a vang??? Pay up.

16 hours ago, CaptainAhab said:

I saw Fazisi in Newport.The halyards were rusting steel cable with meat hooks. It’s amazing no one died on that ride. 

Well, except for the 1st skipper sort of.

On 7/31/2020 at 3:36 PM, Zonker said:

Should have ordered the custom form fitting version.

image.png.5b16ebcfea597adde207bde7ff603e4b.png

OK, here is an original shot from when I first got the boat. I do not share this much.
Notice the old traveler? Dual light weight cars pinned together.
I had it replaced by Bam Miller at Oyster Bay with a new medium size bent to match track and a windward sheeting car. He even had some short spool of line for the traveler car that he threw in...........BAM
Works like a charm Bam. Thanks so much.

If you wanna play you gotta pay, or know someone.

deck.jpg

New shot, make sure to zoom in.

dock1.JPG