ModernViking

Why we were all wrong about covid

Interesting input from someone who knows about this.
I am not posting this as a COVID denier (my dad died from it in March), but it is an interesting contribution.
Mostly I think it is interesting in the context of our reaction to this, compared to how we react to future viruses with far mor deadly potential.

https://medium.com/@vernunftundrichtigkeit/coronavirus-why-everyone-was-wrong-fce6db5ba809

• Like 1

“So: Sars-Cov-2 isn’t all that new, but merely a seasonal cold virus that mutated and disappears in summer, as all cold viruses do — which is what we’re observing globally right now. Flu viruses mutate significantly more, by the way, and nobody would ever claim that a new flu virus strain was completely novel. Many veterinary doctors were therefore annoyed by this claim of novelty, as they have been vaccinating cats, dogs, pigs, and cows for years against coronaviruses.“

hows that working out ? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dacapo said:

“So: Sars-Cov-2 isn’t all that new, but merely a seasonal cold virus that mutated and disappears in summer, as all cold viruses do — which is what we’re observing globally right now. Flu viruses mutate significantly more, by the way, and nobody would ever claim that a new flu virus strain was completely novel. Many veterinary doctors were therefore annoyed by this claim of novelty, as they have been vaccinating cats, dogs, pigs, and cows for years against coronaviruses.“

hows that working out ? 

Thank you for cherry picking a paragraph, and with regards to that - honestly not too well, in terms of postive tests.
So in that regard not very well :/

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ModernViking said:

I am not posting this as a COVID denier (my dad died from it in March), but it is an interesting contribution.
Mostly I think it is interesting in the context of our reaction to this, compared to how we react to future viruses with far mor deadly potential.

https://medium.com/@vernunftundrichtigkeit/coronavirus-why-everyone-was-wrong-fce6db5ba809

Sorry to hear of your Dad.

1 minute ago, Bus Driver said:

Sorry to hear of your Dad.

Thanks Bus Driver 
He was otherwise healthy, but 88 yo. - a couple of weeks earlier he said to my mom "Well, this is what gonna kill me" and he was right. He was a great sailor and raised us well.
My mom cought it too, but faired quite well, but it was tough on her to be sick while dad died.

• Like 3

Meh, rightwing populist paper that defends racist SVP trash does rightwing populist bullshitting. I’d be interested to compare the original German & the translation, but I’m not good enough to do so.

Condolences for your dad - at 88 he beat my dad by ten years but it's never long enough. As to the article written on June 10th, the author might want to revisit it.

Why everyone was wrong

The coronavirus is slowly retreating. What actually happened in the past few weeks? The experts have missed basic connections. The immune response against the virus is much stronger than we thought.

1 minute ago, d'ranger said:

Condolences for your dad - at 88 he beat my dad by ten years but it's never long enough. As to the article written on June 10th, the author might want to revisit it.

Why everyone was wrong

The coronavirus is slowly retreating. What actually happened in the past few weeks? The experts have missed basic connections. The immune response against the virus is much stronger than we thought.

Thanks - yes - when reading it I thought the same, but still think it has some merit.
Not that I think it should be taken lightly (obviously), but compared to other pathogens and what is in store, I still think that it is relevant to read. 

10 minutes ago, ModernViking said:

Thank you for cherry picking a paragraph, and with regards to that - honestly not too well, in terms of postive tests.

I immediately cherry-picked the same paragraph since it is so woefully misguided. The author also indicates his comments only apply to Switzerland. I think we should stick to that. PA needs a Switzerland COVID thread.

Sorry to hear about your father.

1 minute ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

I immediately cherry-picked the same paragraph since it is so woefully misguided. The author also indicates his comments only apply to Switzerland. I think we should stick to that. PA needs a Switzerland COVID thread.

Sorry to hear about your father.

Thanks Bristol, and yes country is relevant.
The US is certainly in  a lot of trouble, and I suspect that it is related to the obesity, which is now well known to be a very significant factor in these kind of virus infections. :/

23 minutes ago, ModernViking said:

How about deaths?

7 minutes ago, ModernViking said:

The US is certainly in  a lot of trouble, and I suspect that it is related to the obesity, which is now well known to be a very significant factor in these kind of virus infections. :/

Nah, it’s related to a large number not treating it seriously. This was entirely preventable, it was a policy & political choice.

theres a bunch of purple prose about John P A Ioannidis that may, or may not, be warranted

Just now, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

Nah, it’s related to a large number not treating it seriously.

That too - but don't disregard obesity - it is a big factor.

Just a suggestion MV - it would be helpful if you gave more detail on your take on this rather than expecting us to dig through it.

48 minutes ago, ModernViking said:

And yet you continue to post "nothing to see here" bullshit from sell-out pseudo scientists.

The article is counter to the facts.

You know, I'm starting to think you are bullshitting about your dad, you bullshit about everything else.

Just now, astro said:

You know, I'm starting to think you are bullshitting about your dad, you bullshit about everything else.

I have no doubt that you do, but it says more about you, than it does about me.

48 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

Why everyone was wrong

Huh?

It's been part of the medical literature almost from the beginning that many patients suffer a "cytokine storm" which is a hyper immune response.

It would be nice to see numbers justifying the statement "coronavirus is slowly retreating." The evidence suggests otherwise.

I'm guessing that unless there is something that is more accurate than the bolded statement above, it's dreck from a Mikey-wanna-be figure.

- DSK

32 minutes ago, ModernViking said:

I have no doubt that you do, but it says more about you, than it does about me.

Nuh, you are a lying cunt.

No one who lost a father to the virus would spend time here saying "nothing to see here".

Either way you are morally bankrupt.

disclaimer on the site

Anyone can publish on Medium per our Policies, but we don’t fact-check every story. For more info about the coronavirus, see cdc.gov.

Top highlight

8 minutes ago, astro said:

No one who lost a father to the virus would spend time here saying "nothing to see here".

You have a point.

7 minutes ago, astro said:

Man you are a cunt - fuck you.

Just now, ModernViking said:
9 minutes ago, astro said:

Man you are a cunt - fuck you.

HHhahahahaaaaa

I can pick a steeeenkin shill from the other side of the planet.  The stench ... oh the stench.

847eed2503bf544f997b97a76a573cde.gif

8 minutes ago, astro said:

HHhahahahaaaaa

I can pick a steeeenkin shill from the other side of the planet.  The stench ... oh the stench.

Wow that is pretty sick - you hit a new low 

Time-out !
This post was never meant to be about the death of my dad, please don't use that in your responses.
It was not a major point, and I should not have included it - to the ones who think it was fair game to bring it up as dispute (probably not correct english) - fuck you.

Best thing is to just put Astro on ignore, after he was flicked and came back he was doing OK, but like all returds is resuming his previous behaviors.

• Like 3

Anyone who doesn't adhere to the echo chamber and pants shitting protocol, will be greeted with child like responses.

1 minute ago, Hatin' life said:

Anyone who doesn't adhere to the echo chamber and pants shitting protocol, will be greeted with child like responses.

Dude, you and Astro are 2 sides of the same coin.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

Best thing is to just put Astro on ignore, after he was flicked and came back he was doing OK, but like all returds is resuming his previous behaviors.

I know - this place is just the one place where I don't use the ignore function - I like to see all sides of the debate, but yeah, this is is over the top :/ 

3 minutes ago, ModernViking said:

I know - this place is just the one place where I don't use the ignore function - I like to see all sides of the debate, but yeah, this is is over the top :/ 

Let’s face it we weren’t “all wrong about COVID” at least not in the manner to article posits.

It was a poorly considered post.  If your father passed from it you have my condolences.  It’s a terrible virus not to be taken lightly.

17 minutes ago, Hatin' life said:

You are a big doodie head!

- DSK

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fakenews said:

Let’s face it we weren’t “all wrong about COVID” at least not in the manner to article posits.

It was a poorly considered post.  If your father passed from it you have my condolences.  It’s a terrible virus not to be taken lightly.

Thanks again, and I was wrong to put that in the post I can see. 
I don't think it i wrong to post the article though, and of course it can be disputed. and certainly up for discussion. 

He bullshitting.

"I'm not a COVID denier BUT ... read this denial stuff!!!!"

EDIT: He's either a total cunt for talking down the virus that killed his Dad, or he is lying about it to be a denier.  I' go for the lying theory.

6 minutes ago, astro said:

He bullshitting.

"I'm not a COVID denier BUT ... read this denial stuff!!!!"

EDIT: He's either a total cunt for talking down the virus that killed his Dad, or he is lying about it to be a denier.  I' go for the lying theory.

Ok back off, you’re the one being a cunt.  I’ll take him at his word till his body of posts says I shouldn’t. 

1 minute ago, Fakenews said:

Ok back off you’re The one being a cunt.  

What ... you say that as it it's a bad thing?

• Like 1

Viking,  I wish it faded in summer.  If we didn’t live in air conditioning it might have done better.  I am not a biochemist but took enough classes and post training to get by.    I’m also not an immunologist.   I do have practical professional experience in infectious disease.    

I agree it’s premature to say nobody had any learned immunity,   More correctly, a disease that cross reacts with it enough to provide immunity has not been identified (cowpox for smallpox analogy).    Innate immunity does exist.   That is believed to be why children shrug it off.   Us old guys poison our bodies with booze, worry instead of sleeping, etc, etc.   We get sick.   I forget which Anarchist physician discussed metabolic syndrome, but I think he’s right.    

Divide the immune system into learned and autopilot divisions.   The learned part gets stronger with age.   The autopilot part gets weaker with age and lifestyle (alcohol, fatigue, poor diet, amazingly even insufficient exercise).   I’m drinking wine as I type this, it isn’t a lecture.   The learned part includes antibodies (proteins targeting known invaders) and T cells, (hunter killer cells that also target invaders through different mechanisms).   The immune system also has local vs systemic responses.   It’s an amazing cobbled together mess.   It’s probably proof of evolution.   It’s multiple systems work amazingly well but it’s not a system a sane deity would design unless he was a committee of gods drinking lots of vodka in an all night jam session.  

Anyway, the problem with the ‘smart countries’ that took aggressive action is they are forever vulnerable to new waves.   The problem with third world countries and the US is immunity’s duration is uncertain.   It’s evident a lot of people have to die before herd immunity is reached, maybe one in 600 in fat America?   IMO it isn’t all gloom and doom.   I think most who get it and fight it off will have partial protection should they meet the virus in the near term, even if we don’t have a lot of antibodies (T cell).   We will keep surviving repeat infections, possibly with minimal illness.   We  may eventually weaken to the point we are unable to fight it off, if we don’t die of something else first.   Damage from prior bouts cause permanent damage and may make us less likely to survive the next round, like a seawall facing yet another storm.   If a survivor in France isn’t exposed for 20 years he may be screwed, an older, weaker, again naive person unable to fight it off a second time.   It will be endemic (continually present) somewhere in the world for the foreseeable future.    

Forever is a very long time.   Viruses often become less destructive, selected for versions that spread easily because they cause less illness.   Infectious asymptomatic carriers were questioned by Dr. Stadler.   Perhaps some mild signs exist.   Big deal, if symptoms overlap allergies or a smokers cough,   For all practical purposes, apparently healthy people make other people die. 

This isn’t end of days,   It isn’t trivial either   Sometimes the human experience changes.   

Random.   A proper cunt is a great thing,   You’re acting like the fishy smelling stale beer tainted urethra that gives cunts a bad name.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ModernViking said:

Many medical professionals like myself were not wrong at all. Its just folks like you didn't listen. 

Oh well. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Clove Hitch said:

Many medical professionals like myself were not wrong at all. Its just folks like you didn't listen. 

Oh well. 

Why do you think I don't listen?
I would like to hear your input on this, but you didn't offer any so far.

I’m trying to understand which parts of this article are 

-logical arguments (Extensions?) based on existing knowledge, and

-which conclusions are repeatable?  

The former seem to be grist for study and experiment, while the latter are not really presented?  

Am I wrong here?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ModernViking said:

Wow that is pretty sick - you hit a new low @astro

Get a room

4 hours ago, ModernViking said:

It hit me right in the face. 
my deepest condolences to you and your family. 

seems unaware that summer ... in the northern climes .. is .. winter in the southern ones

so its never going to disappear .. although locally the season does seem to mitigate it to an extent

it hit us going into summer and probably was a large factor in why nz and aussie got very few cases

we both had a different approach to it .. but were substantially tracking the same

then came winter

Seems like this virus loves Summer.

4 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

I think it just loves people.

When just a few people (like 2 or 3) can take a city with 5 million people from 0 new cases to thousands in a few weeks, the season seems to be kind of irrelevant 

16 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

I think it just loves people.

When just a few people (like 2 or 3) can take a city with 5 million people from 0 new cases to thousands in a few weeks, the season seems to be kind of irrelevant 

The deniers still play the “will go away in summer”

1 hour ago, Raz'r said:

nope

its biggest fan is applied stupidity

( it has to applied cause you cannot achieve that level of dumb without trying )

7 hours ago, ModernViking said:

Why do you think I don't listen?
I would like to hear your input on this, but you didn't offer any so far. 

So do you think that your Father would approve of you posting COVID denial material here?

People want to know.

9 hours ago, Lark said:

Random.   A proper cunt is a great thing,   You’re acting like the fishy smelling stale beer tainted urethra that gives cunts a bad name.

Too many words, no one reads a rant like that.  No fucking way I did,  skipped to the end to find the above.

I kinda like that smell, WTF is wrong with you?

brad-pitt-tyler-durden-laugh-gif.gif

12 hours ago, ModernViking said:

It's not cherry-picking when it's part of the argument's premise.  He gets to have his own opinion; he doesn't get to have his own facts.

If you want a different example: The models weren't wrong, from what I've seen anywhere.  They were misrepresented in the media.  He needs to provide at least one example that holds up. 

Consider, also, sentences like: this one:

I have also not yet understood why epidemiologists were so much more interested in the number of deaths, rather than in the numbers that could be saved. 

What does "saved" mean, besides "didn't die or suffer longterm damage"?  That it's okay if more people die, so long as we end up also with more immune people?  Because that's all the sense I can wring out of it.    

A bit later, he conflates being infectuous with being sick, and claims

If a virus is growing anywhere in the body, also in the throat, it means that human cells decease.

Which is a sack of oversimplification and overgeneralization.  What, he's never heard of HIV?  He live in a fucking cave?

And then proceeds to accuse people of trying to divorce disease from symptoms... what the fuck. 

I stopped there.  Unless it gets better, it's pretty dumb. 

Sorry about your dad. Hopefully not too late, but: don't fall into the denier rabbithole.  That kinda shit doesn't help.  It just takes time.

12 hours ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

Meh, rightwing populist paper that defends racist SVP trash does rightwing populist bullshitting. I’d be interested to compare the original German & the translation, but I’m not good enough to do so.

Germany has its share of deniers.

12 hours ago, ModernViking said:

Obesity affects your odds of surviving it if you catch it.  It doesn't increase your odds of catching it. 

Gullibility and Stupidity and Media Bubbles, affect your odds. 

10 hours ago, ModernViking said:

I hear what you're saying, but I can't recommend judicious use of the feature, enough.  I only have 5 people on ignore (three of whom haven't posted in months), and it's a vast improvement. We don't have many shitposters, but the shitposters we have, post a lot. 

This one can be a bit obsessive.  Once he's decided you're a shill, and starts making memes about you... you don't really have a choice.  Just do it.

I don't have him on ignore, but he doesn't make memes about me.

• Like 2

Looks like Frenchie struggling in the COVID-19 world.

or on the sauce, but that's ok.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Does this guy have a history of covid denial, or are you just hungry for a shill?

Edit: it's 7am here.  I'm drinking English Breakfast.

13 hours ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

Stadler is just a right wing edgelord. His business model is provocation. He contradicts himself all the time (there is not going to be a second wave; it's going to come back in winter). His language is disgusting in the german original. It is arrogant and condescending.

Edit for an example:

He wants to see a lack of common sense in his opponents. The german term for common sense is gesunder Menschenverstand. This is not the same concept as common sense is in english. It literally means healthy human reason. Saying someone lacks it in german, is way closer to calling someone mentally ill, than it is in enlish.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Raz'r said:

The deniers still play the “will go away in summer”

Just wait until Summer, and Florida's numbers will suddenly drop.

Oh, wait.....

2 hours ago, frenchie said:

Does this guy have a history of covid denial, or are you just hungry for a shill?

Try smoking it.

More intense but doesn't last as long

- DSK

15 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

If this is retreating, what the hell would advancing look like? It is worse now than EVER here :o

No, actually it's not.  But discussing COVID-19 based on the actual facts doesn't get far.  Every days statistics are viewed as the start of a trend.

The idea of flattening the curve is working as originally intended.  Somehow, a lot of folks seem to think that meant that the rates of infection and death were supposed to keep going down to zero.  That was never possible and not a reasonable expectation.

The issue of immunity is also a little hard to work on.  There are a lot of different strains of this disease.  Look at the Phylogeny chart at https://nextstrain.org/ncov/global

Strains that kill their host don't get to spread and are failures as a virus.  The strains that don't make their host sick don't spread.  The ones that just get people sick enough to spread the disease are successful and are the ones that will continue to live with us much like the Flu.

We have developed protocols for treatment which reduce the number of deaths per infection.  But we also have a bunch of fools who are making sure that the infection spreads.

6 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

The idea of flattening the curve is working as originally intended. 

Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 10.09.23 AM.png

2 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 10.09.23 AM.png

See? That graph not only proves that deaths are going down, but that it's a lie the US is worse off than Europe or Canada.

All you have to do is slurp up the cream of mushroom, and BEE-LEE-EE-VE that Trump is telling the truth and everybody else is lying. Bazinga, suddenly your eyes adjust and filter everything you see as PROOF the goddam libby-rulls are the ones LYING!! And that's all yo need to do, to do more or to know more is to be suspected of falling under the sway of that goddam faggot libby-rull Democrat reality.

I can see the appeal of it, the real world sucks.

- DSK

9 hours ago, frenchie said:

He has a history of climate change denial.

All the known shills are doing that pair.

One of the few positive results of the Covid crisis is that the climate change noise has gone away. They're all busy being internet virus experts now.

42 minutes ago, Happy said:

One of the few positive results of the Covid crisis is that the climate change noise has gone away. They're all busy being internet virus experts now.

Onto the next thing the advertising whores will use to sell us shit.

1 hour ago, astro said:

Oh. 

Carry on, then.

3 hours ago, frenchie said:
4 hours ago, astro said:

Oh. 

Carry on, then.

This should give you a feel for it his Climate Denial from way back.  CLICK HERE

Modern Viking Says:

On 1/28/2018 at 5:14 AM, random said:

Ye I am taking it seriously, just not taking you seriously.

I listen to scientists rather than anonymous posters on the interweb.

Thanks for that. It is safe to say, that you don't take it seriously.
I don't either, compared to that scale I must admit. It made me think.
You just continued to spew second hand information behind your computer without giving it a thought.
Not that I think anyone is surprised.

On 8/2/2020 at 9:10 AM, astro said:

So do you think that your Father would approve of you posting COVID denial material here?

People want to know.

I think that my dad would agree with me that you are a special fucking evil cunt.
To suggest that what I posted is denying COVID says more about you than it does about me.
Think about it.. he died of COVID-19, so how am I denying it?
And to @frenchie - that you find it OK to carry on with the memes, based on a link to a climate debate is just sick.

You have been posting Climate Change Denial material here.

You have been posting COVID-19 denial material here, like this thread.

So either you are a lying shill about your father dying of COVID-19, or you are a special kind of evil cunt that we have to create a new category for.

So which one is it?

tenor.gif

7 hours ago, ModernViking said:

I think that my dad would agree with me that you are a special fucking evil cunt.
To suggest that what I posted is denying COVID says more about you than it does about me.
Think about it.. he died of COVID-19, so how am I denying it?
And to @frenchie - that you find it OK to carry on with the memes, based on a link to a climate debate is just sick.

You misunderstand.  My earlier advice to you still stands: put him on ignore. 

Trying to talk sense to him just revs him up worse.  I'm not one for feeding trolls, so I just nod and say "yes, dear, whatever you say dear," and move on.

Good to see Frenchie encouraging a COVID denying climate change denying shill who has sold out his dead dad.

Good work Frenchie, shills really do fool the fuckwits after all.

giphy.gif

It took me a while, but Frenchie finally gets it.

I love it when a plan works out.

giphy.gif

Ignoring this sick fucker has made this site a lot better. How his family copes with this level of sickness is beyond me.

Thank you for convincing me Frenchie.

The three biggest lies in the world ...

1. I promise I won't come in your mouth
  2. Trust me, I will only put the head in
  3. I have him on ignore

giphy.gif