Captain Bastard

Craigslist Boat-Just because you can doesn't mean you should

It’s hideous, but at the very least, it’s finished far better than the average Craigslist special. It seems to be an example of terrible ideas done well. 

• Like 2

It actually looks well built. The finish work on the inside is nicer than some production boats. 

but I love the second picture. Sail up, anchors booms out with anchors deployed. Nothing says fast like dragging an anchor through the water 10ft to windward. 

3 minutes ago, Lightfoot said:

but I love the second picture. Sail up, anchors booms out with anchors deployed. Nothing says fast like dragging an anchor through the water 10ft to windward. 

That’s a combination out/down rigger.  He’s trolling 

Love the shape of the "big" heady,  bet the sailmaker didn't put his logo on it!

Just checked can't see logos on the other sails either,  not surprised.

And I bet it is fun with the big heady around that radar mast (?) on port tack.

2 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

That’s a combination out/down rigger.  He’s trolling 

More like he’s internet trolling... da dum diss...

I’ll see myself out.

Tough to avoid sea sickness with all those ribbony fiddles & handrails.

I got woozy just looking at the pics.

Very custom. Knew what he wanted. Built it, 'Ran out of time'. Zero texts given. 

Not my thing, but... wow... respect.

<Insert Robert Perry quote about client requirements driving design here>

I like that the ad specifies "Crypto currency OK." This is definitely a boat one would buy with Bitcoin if there ever was one

Cost to build $500,000 plus 18 years building the perfect boat.

Guys, this is sad.  

• Like 2

Not my style at all, but this seems like a powerboater who is aware of windage and sailing. He put up a mast because it's fun and a little romantic, but has no illusions about actually relying on the sails to get the boat from place to place.

Filling up the 550 gal tank with diesel may put a stop to ambitious youtubers though.

ive seen a lot of varying types of nips in my day, but those are very odd looking nips. pass.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, See Level said:

I wonder what happens when his paravane breach's?

00W0W_8voL5pjHSUB_0vQ0l7_1200x900.jpg

So many questions:

what is the balance like going to weather with the mast 2/3rds of the way aft.

Is she having trouble going to weather since the main sheet is 2 blocked with no more adjustment or because it needs a larger main sheet track (anyone know where he can get a beefier main sheet traveler track????).

Does that swim platform to make it easier for an octogenarian to get into a dink, or trying to extend the waterline like the 87 AC boats with oversized sugar scoop transoms?

In the ad, picture 1 has forestay with furler going to bow, while in this action shot, the headsail is bolted amidships.  Cannot say I have seen such engineering before. Or is the bow canvas work actually a furled deck umbrella?  So confusing.

are those deck supports or dual stripper poles the old buck installed in the saloon?

370 amps of charging/welding while the motor is running. do not find that on most 49 footers.

49' length, 10 foot beam and 3 foot draft.  .Are there seatbelts when sailing in wind with a large any seas?

Exactly what world does this thing world cruiser cruise in?

I see a future as a derelict boat that some homeless dude lives on in the Keys until he abandons it.  Hope I am wrong..

load it with cheese and off you go, would be fun picking the dream team crew

5 hours ago, See Level said:

Something with torpedoes and, I don’t know, Scrabble?

Don’t bogart that...

8 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

This thread needs

012_1000.jpg

Better be careful, yoou could put your eye out with those things.

In fact you could could both eyes out simultaneously.

FB- Doug

2 hours ago, ROADKILL666 said:

Are we forgetting the hideous color 

I'm trying to forget the hideous color, will you stop talking about it?

FB- Doug

"Designed and Built by an extremely experienced cabinet maker"

I can't help but wonder if he studied 10,000 designs before this monstrosity was built?

I'm going to comment on the potential weather helm issue then go back to those tits.

We don't know if the boat has a salient keel, skeg or just rudder(s).

Maybe even with the aft mast she has lee helm? The windward paravane would tend to pull the bow to weather.

Now, those tits. They are not symmetrical therefore not unlike an offset companionway. I'd brave it though. Take one for the team, as it were.

012_1000.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Better be careful, yoou could put your eye out with those things.

In fact you could could both eyes out simultaneously.

FB- Doug

are these safer?

huge-saggy-tits-285.jpg

19 hours ago, Captain Bastard said:

If M.C. Escher and Dr. Sues smoked peyote and designed a boat, this would be the outcome.

https://sarasota.craigslist.org/boa/d/sarasota-49-very-custom-world-cruiser/7156947993.html

Thisse coude be home awaye frome home, an SA club boate, foure SA mebberes gettawayes and gettogetheres.  Thick "The Aparttemente"                           :)

Certainly agree with this:

18 hours ago, StoMo said:

Very custom. Knew what he wanted. Built it, 'Ran out of time'. Zero texts given. 

Not my thing, but... wow... respect.

<Insert Robert Perry quote about client requirements driving design here>

Interesting to imagine what he was thinking. Circumnavigator, so he has experienced some things. I see many very good ideas. The aesthetics of course are totally blown, but I find most people are poor at creating beauty from scratch.

Interesting idea: Using "fish" for dynamic stability. These are probably more effective than DSS -- they automatically adjust angle of attack based on load, just like a moth foil -- but much more dangerous! Imagine when they surface! Those fish are dangerous on a trawler, they might be deadly on a sailboat.

Good concepts: the interior layout seems pretty good. Double berth close to center of motion, good engine access, big galley, round corners.

The rig etc is bogus, but I think that is because it is really a motorsailer. Which is a reasonable choice for someone who would be quite old come launch date. Having the traveller high above deck is good for safety, and is good so that same structure can be used as a crane to pull things aboard the swim step. So odd, but maybe not bad.

It is long and thin and light, with a single simple diesel that is easy to access, which is certainly a very good idea for a long range powerboat.

Very high stability at 90 degrees even if un-ballasted, due to the deck design. Un-ballasted because he uses dynamic stability (those fish). There might be some ballast, not stated, but I think that was the point. Ballast is slow except when needed for stability.

4 hours ago, Autonomous said:

I'm going to comment on the potential weather helm issue then go back to those tits.

Maybe even with the aft mast she has lee helm? The windward paravane would tend to pull the bow to weather.

Now, those tits. They are not symmetrical therefore not unlike an offset companionway. I'd brave it though. Take one for the team, as it were.

012_1000.jpg

Even her tits have tits.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Even her tits have tits.

look closely the tits, tits have tits

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, toad said:
12 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Even her tits have tits.

look closely the tits, tits have tits

Abbe Normalle growthe, to saye the leeste..................              

21 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Even her tits have tits.

On 8/5/2020 at 5:27 AM, Steam Flyer said:

Better be careful, yoou could put your eye out with those things

The criticisms of these beauties earns a hearty 'l.m.a.o.'

It's like a handful of teenagers on the side of the road in a broke-down Pontiac Aztek offering their opinions on a 959 as it zips by.

"Look at those silly round headlights, what a loser!"

2 hours ago, Breamerly said:

It's like a handful of teenagers on the side of the road in a broke-down Pontiac Aztek offering their opinions on a 959 as it zips by.

"Look at those silly round headlights, what a loser!"

Oh I don't think they're silly at all. I think they are one of the most excellent combination of beauty and function I've seen since I saw the future Mrs Steam's beauties.

I'm just advocating for due caution, after all if you put your eye out then your future enjoyment will be lessened.

FB- Doug

• Like 1

Fractal tits,  those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, those tits have tits and then those tits have tits which in turn have tits and those tits have tits and those tits have tits which in turn have tits, and on the very tippy end of those tits are really tiny cherries.

• Like 1

49' Very Custom World Cruiser. Designed and Built by an extremely experienced cabinet maker

you want rutters, we got rutters

Articulated Rudder that will turn the boat in its own length

Somehow I like the companionway entrance.  Should I hit myself with a mallet or is it cool in a wierd way?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

picshell18101a.jpg

Shell Schooner Catamaran

A boat for the Bowman that never felt comfortable being aft of max beam!

- Stumbling

On 8/6/2020 at 1:18 PM, Breamerly said:

Criticism?

Who?

Where?

On 8/4/2020 at 7:10 PM, See Level said:

Calling Squeaky and Gomer, we have your boat, no unreasonable offer refused.  Maybe you can trade KaKaw for partial payment.

On 8/5/2020 at 11:14 AM, Autonomous said:

012_1000.jpg

God I love puffy nipples.

• Like 1