38°59'N

NKE boat speed set to SOG

In a new to me boat, boat speed is set to SOG.  Even with the paddle wheel in the boat, boat speed shows SOG, allowing for differences in damping.  I might have thought it would be easy to find this setting, and it may well be, but it escapes me.  I've tried through the multigraphics and every menu I can access and also by logging into the HR Processor via the boat computer.   Has anyone else here had something similar? Any tips on where to find the setting?   Over here in the Solent, it makes a big difference.

You mentioned paddlewheel, do you have an ultrasonic speedo? Are you sure it's the HR processor and not the standard processor? Is it (paddle wheel) physically working? A paddle wheel might not be compatible with the HR Processor unless it was something semi-custom NKE did or very new. Have you verified it works on it's own by disconnecting the cable to the processor, setting a MG as the master? Just remember to set the address back to 0 before you plug back in the processor and then give it an address once the processor has finished booting up.  

It's been a few months since I logged into a processor HR, what version are you using? There are slight differences in the menu's between V3.7, V3.9 and V4.0

From the Multigraphic, you should be able to adjust the SOG filtering, what version of the Multigraphic do you have? 

Can you send me the main events log? 

38°59'N,

I confirm what RImike said: the nke Reg@atta Processor or HR Processor do not work with a paddlewheel speed sensor. To my knowledge (and since I worked with nke - 2008), only one boat's bus was modified for the paddlewheel to work with a processor. Long story short, the paddlewheel was embedded in the canting keel. Results were not satisfactory and the owner finally changed it with the Ultrasonic speed sensor.

By default, the config file of your processor is set to switch to the SOG if the SOW (speed over the water) fails or isn't available. By doing so, the TW information are still available in the bus without any interruption (which is key when sailing using the autopilot).

In other words, if you have a paddlewheel on the boat, you might as well remove it and replace it with the blank. It can be replaced by the Ultrasonic Speed Sensor.

You can try however, to change the speed back to the speed over the water: using your multigraphic, simply go in the Autopilot Settings Menu, then to Speed and change it back to speed over the water. If the system doesn't work (the TW information will not show), then you have to switch it bak to SOG.

Where is the SOG coming from? Is the boat equipped with the nke High Frequency GPS Antenna?

To troubleshoot, and help, I would need to understand the architecture of your bus. If you have an internet connection on the boat, I can also connect via TeamViewer to check your topline bus and processor settings. Making sure that all sensors and displays are up-to-date is also key for the processor to perform properly.

Feel free to contact me. 

Jerome - S A I L U T I O N S 
jerome@sailutionsusa.com
+1 310-500-6216 (PST)
IM, Skype, WhatsApp,...

Thanks to you both.  Fortunately, in my case, it was even simpler.  I heard that with the HR processor (which I do have), you can in fact do this from the multigraphic.  For posterity:  In the sensor menu -> Processor Speed -> Surface Speed or Ground Speed.

Have only been out once since adjusting and it does seem to have worked though I need to redo the calibrations.  

It really is just a paddlewheel (with a Raymarine part number on it even though the label says NKE).  So, at least in my case, the paddlewheel does seem to work with the HR processor.  On the second bus, I have the regatta processor, but that is separate, I believe.

Should I consider an ultrasonic sensor instead?

5 hours ago, 38°59'N said:

Thanks to you both.  Fortunately, in my case, it was even simpler.  I heard that with the HR processor (which I do have), you can in fact do this from the multigraphic.  For posterity:  In the sensor menu -> Processor Speed -> Surface Speed or Ground Speed.

Have only been out once since adjusting and it does seem to have worked though I need to redo the calibrations.  

It really is just a paddlewheel (with a Raymarine part number on it even though the label says NKE).  So, at least in my case, the paddlewheel does seem to work with the HR processor.  On the second bus, I have the regatta processor, but that is separate, I believe.

Should I consider an ultrasonic sensor instead?

38°59'N,

Is this a class 40? what's the number? Once I have that I can talk to nke in france and we will have all the info regarding your bus.

If it is a class 40,  we need to know which one to make sure the ultrasonic speed sensor will work.

You also mentioned a "Raymarine" speed sensor...I assumed you meant Airmar. In addition, on some boats, the paddlewheel was installed with its own speed interface (meaning separately from the depth sensor, which was itself connected to its own interface). I therefore take away what I said earlier: the paddlewheel can work on the Regatta and HR processors in that configuration (just more expensive, and not necessary more accurate...).

It would be easier if we could talk...feel free to reach out at 310-500-6216.

yes, a class 40 - #144.

you're right.  the paddlewheel is an airmar.

3 hours ago, 38°59'N said:

yes, a class 40 - #144.

you're right.  the paddlewheel is an airmar.

ok. let me check what I find out. Alternatively, please give me a call so I fully understand what the issue is. I am not often on the computer...

thanks.

NKEs can be a bit strange to work with. You have to be nice, but not too nice or they get supercilious. Best approach is ot stroke all the menu options, stop, smoke a Gitanes, and come back a little later when the unit is in the mood to co-operate.

An NKE system becomes part of the crew, you give it a name, praise it when it does well and there are occasional cuss words when it fucks up.

On 8/22/2020 at 9:56 AM, Wet Spreaders said:

NKEs can be a bit strange to work with. You have to be nice, but not too nice or they get supercilious. Best approach is ot stroke all the menu options, stop, smoke a Gitanes, and come back a little later when the unit is in the mood to co-operate.

Unless your accent is too far off, which it will refuse to understand.   French....