irlsailor

Farr 30 irc modification

Thinking about doing the above.

I will put a prodder on but what are the do's and don'ts. Does anyone have any experience?

Cheers

6 hours ago, irlsailor said:

Thinking about doing the above.

I will put a prodder on but what are the do's and don'ts. Does anyone have any experience?

Cheers

There is a sprit designed by Farr, I think 5'10". Not stiff enough for a C0/J0, which sucks.

Look at Indra Farr 30 out of Marblehead.  It is ex "surprise" and has a custom  sprit. There is an archived forum "fixed carbon bowsprit" that has some images.

I recently helped a friend do this change to his Farr 30.  He bought the Farr designed sprit from CCI in Canada.  It took a surprising amount of work to get the bow plate to fit the boat and again more work to get the sprit to fit the bow plate.  The sprit also just started to split in half and I just did that repair too.  That said, he's happy with the performance.  He just bought a top down furler and the ease of use has been great. 

60962065350__58513DC9-F89A-4286-95A4-B233E57BF37A.JPG

• Like 2

Also got the one on the boat I sail from CCI. We had similar issues with the bow plate. the bow also had to have relatively substantial reinforcement added. No issues with splitting, but might be worth reinforcing anyway.

14 minutes ago, Tubes said:

Also got the one on the boat I sail from CCI. We had similar issues with the bow plate. the bow also had to have relatively substantial reinforcement added. No issues with splitting, but might be worth reinforcing anyway.

Besides the repair that I did to the outer face on the lower flange, I also put reinforcement inside of the sprit both inside of the lower flange (the part that turns around the bow) but also some reinforcement inside on the top and bottom to support the seams.  I put some kevlar in all three locations to help avoid any further splitting.

The reinforcement inside of the boat wasn't too bad.  The hardest part, as I'm sure you know, was getting a tool in there to cut out the old core.  The G10 went in easy and then covered with glass.  I made G10 "nuts" that we can eventually bond to the inside as well so that the bolts only have to thread into those, no nuts on the inside anymore, so it only takes one person to bolt the sprit on.

3 hours ago, Snowden said:

These guys have won some serious silverware under IRC in the UK - their FB page has lots of pics if you need inspiration

https://www.facebook.com/pg/pegasusdekmarx/photos/?ref=page_internal

That's the boat/site that my buddy used for inspiration for his project.  I even built this instrument pod for him as a result.

IMG_8867.JPG

• Like 1

On 8/10/2020 at 8:33 AM, Tubes said:

I did the same on a buddies Farr 30. Lots of work for a Farr designed component. Initial fit was WAY off.

Post install, the boat does light up but not like a newer sport boat hull would. At least in my experience. Still a good upgrade.

It's true that the Farr designed sprit will not accommodate a Zero, mainly because the rig is not designed to support it.

3 hours ago, Irrational 14 said:

I did the same on a buddies Farr 30. Lots of work for a Farr designed component. Initial fit was WAY off.

Post install, the boat does light up but not like a newer sport boat hull would. At least in my experience. Still a good upgrade.

It's true that the Farr designed sprit will not accommodate a Zero, mainly because the rig is not designed to support it.

A2 and A5 on my buddy's boat.  Interesting that three of us have had to deal with the poor fit of a factory designed sprit and bow plate.

4 hours ago, Irrational 14 said:

I believe we're talking about the same boat, and I think you were at my house yesterday to look at my boat! ;)

On 8/13/2020 at 7:53 PM, WCB said:

A2 and A5 on my buddy's boat.  Interesting that three of us have had to deal with the poor fit of a factory designed sprit and bow plate.

Agree- looks to be a trend here.

The original fit was a joke. 

Finished product came out great though.

27CF7C0B-2632-4DB5-A9D1-488B5B8CA1E1.jpeg

• Like 2

Just a random comment - if anyone has a Farr 30 for sale - please ping me.

Cheers!

On 8/21/2020 at 3:03 PM, Code 2 said:

Cheers!

PM sent

Jeff Kent made the sprits for Eleven and Indra, I believe. He sold the business to Moore Brothers in Rhode Island who likely still have the molds. The sprit isn't as long as the ones you're showing, but would probably be favored better in IRC. I like the longer sprit. The A-sails make the Farr a light air weapon and I think is more controllable when lit up in heavier air - better ability to lift the bow and none of the crazy DDW rolling.

On 8/21/2020 at 7:03 AM, Code 2 said:

Cheers!

PM sent

Here is a Trogear sprit on a Mumm 30. Located at CPYC in Westport CT.  Not an elegant solution, somewhat short, but looks like it will work. Note the lashings, to keep it from falling?

. Also without a deck or bow flange all side loads and torque are borne by the two mounting bolts.

IMG_20200922_132023.jpg

30 minutes ago, Golfinaspen said:

Here is a Trogear sprit on a Mumm 30. Located at CPYC in Westport CT.  Not an elegant solution, somewhat short, but looks like it will work. Note the lashings, to keep it from falling?

Looks like bungee to raise the sprit (as the trogear ones fold up don't they) but would also double to prevent sheets getting stuck on those hinges.

Those units rotate around the bolt - so you have to hold them up somehow when not in use

Yes and yes. Better overall in the light. Heavy still needs TBD.

There is nothing wrong with the standard boat in original format though. I like the config options.

More F30's will probably be bastardized with sprits. Some will be a nice install. Many will not be.

5 hours ago, sailingbeme said:

Are the owners/ crew happy they converted over to an A -sail on these mods? Seeing some decent speed increases? 

Yes for Bully Circus, #45.  He's happy with the conversion.  He's headed out to Annapolis this Friday for the double handed race there.  His lower spreaders are at my house for some carbon repair right now.j

One of the immediate benefits is less crew.  We sailed with seven the other day and it was too many.  Six is now the preferred amount.

These modified boats are essentially sailing in PHRF so the rating considerations should not be ignored. The local PHRF regulations include a formula for sprit length and the handicap corrections.  For LIS one band maxes out at  TPS/J = 140% and the W/L correction is -3. When we added a sprit to First Tracks the design was specific to that rating band. The Trogear is available in fixed lengths and so the sprit cannot be optimized for rating purposes. It may be tempting to save a few bucks but when every second counts on the race course there is no reason to give away time before you even leave the dock.