Ignatius J. Reilly

Where would you retire?

Recommended Posts

Before considering overseas retirement examine the residency rules for non lucrative, no work ,  retirement visas 

 

Spain is expensive , taxation on worldwide income plus a wealth tax 

Malta has a decent retirement visa and no tax on income earned outside of Malta 

decent sailing in Malta .. but wind blasted and hotter than hell 

many folks choose to base out of Malta 

i dont know Croatian and Greek rules  

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2020 at 12:14 PM, Ignatius J. Reilly said:

I just read about the Harbor 20 and their racing scene.   Honestly that is pretty much the model I was wondering about. 

They hold H20 races here every week in season.  Less often during the summer.  Isles Yacht Club has their racing schedule HERE.  But there may be other H20 races not sponsored by IYC.  This is their Sail Club info

The owner of WD Schock just bought a home here and last winter held a big party for H20 owners.  Don't know if that will be an annual thing but, now that he's got a 2nd home here, it wouldn't surprise me.

If you can do the snowbird thing, winters here are paradise but if you will be a full timer, you'd better love the heat.  This summer has been particularly hot.

Punta Gorda Isles (PGI) has homes on canals and is somewhat isolated from Florida Man land.  Most people here are from the Midwest and East Coast with maybe half of them snowbirds.  So in the summer, it gets pretty dead here.

The canal system connects to Charlotte Harbor, a well protected sailing body of water for small boats.  To the best of my knowledge, most of the races are held at the north end.  If you want to keep your boat at your own dock, you pretty much need to live at the north end of PGI or you will have quite a sail to get to the race area.
CharlotteHarborChart.jpg.fc82d1c3c1327f0cf16d443f0726053d.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2020 at 10:14 AM, Ignatius J. Reilly said:

Dillon Colorado – With a son in school in Colorado … would love to get in-state tuition break!

Instate was 6K at CSU last sym...  Sure beats what I paid out of state 20+ yrs ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2020 at 1:16 PM, JimBowie said:

Glad Dillon made the list.  If you can cross reference with other hobbies like cycling or outdoors, Dillon wins hands down.  It's a limited offer however.  75% of the surface land is owned by us...US Forest Service, meaning once the build-out is done, there ain't no more to build on.  Meaning prices gonna UP!  So make the move, soon and don't look back.  Better yet show up there in August and drive from Denver and check out Frisco and Dillon marinas.  Sail it couple time.  Stay couple days.

Sigh, We make it sound so nice and utopiaish.  :). You forgot to say anything the weekend Traffic, Ski Traffic, Traffic Traffic...  And the Winters...  Don't get me started.  Shoveling for days, Below freezing for months and the spring hail...  Not to mention the cost of AC nowdays..  It's hotter than frigging AZ.. 

 

No. Don't come here....  :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, JimBowie said:

Dillon has at least two seasons.  Who doesn't like to ice boat in January (or June)?

 

SD_SD201010101239978AR.jpg

sailing-lake-dillon-brian-kerls.jpg

Love that pic.  Beetle kill is a tragedy tho...  Go back 20 yrs and that scene is 100% different.....  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, shaggy said:

Sigh, We make it sound so nice and utopiaish.  :). You forgot to say anything the weekend Traffic, Ski Traffic, Traffic Traffic...  And the Winters...  Don't get me started.  Shoveling for days, Below freezing for months and the spring hail...  Not to mention the cost of AC nowdays..  It's hotter than frigging AZ.. 

 

No. Don't come here....  :P

Don’t forget the fires.

0C369130-3C12-4ABF-89C7-1A3CEC4FA588.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fisher said:

Don’t forget the fires.

0C369130-3C12-4ABF-89C7-1A3CEC4FA588.jpeg

Na, that's just Kresgie overseeing the festivities as usual... 

Respect...  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We know your secret Shag.  Now it's time to share it with 24,000,000 Texans.  Bwaaaaa!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JimBowie said:

We know your secret Shag.  Now it's time to share it with 24,000,000 Texans.  Bwaaaaa!

You guys all ready take over the whole damn San Louis valley every summer, so you have a toe hold, as bmiller can attest to...  B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, shaggy said:

You guys all ready take over the whole damn San Louis valley every summer, so you have a toe hold, as bmiller can attest to...  B)

BMiller?  did you say BBQ?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JimBowie said:

BMiller?  did you say BBQ?!

Lets do it in spring so we can do monarch with him..  It'd be an epic day...  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe you should first decide which OD class you’d like to race. Then look up the international class association on the interwebs and see where the regattas are. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I take exception to the shit boats....

The rest - your experience may vary. And it depends what your case of comparison is. We haven't had a frost yet this winter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/14/2020 at 6:59 AM, JimBowie said:

I hear the Thai women give wonderful frontal massage.

And unlike an OD race everyone gets a happy ending. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/16/2020 at 8:13 AM, JimBowie said:

Q: What did the sheep says when their Kiwi owner drove by in his Subaru? 

A: "Daaaaaddddddyyyy".

.......... How the hell did you know I drive a Subaru?......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, wal' said:

.......... How the hell did you know I drive a Subaru?......

You're a lesbian, aren'tcha? NTTAWWT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...... I'll stake no claims....... whatever works......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 10thTonner said:

Maybe you should first decide which OD class you’d like to race. Then look up the international class association on the interwebs and see where the regattas are. 
 

Don't bring logic in this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Next choice...Puerto Montt, Chile. Or actually, someplace a little south of Puerto Montt, like about 20 miles. SO I can drive in and race.
It's a gorgeous, gorgeous summer cruising ground, but it's brutal in the winter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Philippines. actually. I have been workong feom home for almost 2years. I spent 3 months in phils last year. As soon as the virys calms down I am relocating perm. 10yrs till I can draw social security. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we're going to try Corvallis, OR, don't really sail anymore but motorcycle, ski, cycle, hike etc

its a nice college town you can ride a bike to anything you need, very civilized and pleasant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, gewoon ik said:

Don't bring logic in this. 

I guess you miss the point of the Mercury reference ... It doesn't matter.   As long there's a group of equal boats ....I don't care.   The joy of racing sailboats for me has nothing to do with the boat.  I have raced a good many classes in my past .... sailed against some of the best.   Apart from some great racing  in Starboats and Finns .... the clunky "fat guys snipe" Mercury was the best tactical fun per dollar ... hands down.   Back in college the same sort of thing involved the Tech Dinghy.   What a pig!   Don't know if they still sail them on the Charles ... but damn there were some great sailors that came through there.

Anyway ... I have really appreciated the folks on here that understood the spirit of the question.  Unfortunately it is going to be awhile before immigrating anywhere is going to be in the cards.   That said ... it is a nice daydreaming topic ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, slug zitski said:

i dont know Croatian and Greek rules  

WTF? Since when didn't you know everything?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Ignatius J. Reilly said:

it is a nice daydreaming topic ....

Have you tried day dreaming about this?

N° 5513 | Boobs | Free Pictures

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Ignatius J. Reilly said:

I guess you miss the point of the Mercury reference ... It doesn't matter.   As long there's a group of equal boats ....I don't care.   The joy of racing sailboats for me has nothing to do with the boat.  I have raced a good many classes in my past .... sailed against some of the best.   Apart from some great racing  in Starboats and Finns .... the clunky "fat guys snipe" Mercury was the best tactical fun per dollar ... hands down.   Back in college the same sort of thing involved the Tech Dinghy.   What a pig!   Don't know if they still sail them on the Charles ... but damn there were some great sailors that came through there.

Anyway ... I have really appreciated the folks on here that understood the spirit of the question.  Unfortunately it is going to be awhile before immigrating anywhere is going to be in the cards.   That said ... it is a nice daydreaming topic ....

Similarly, the Knarr is without a doubt the best one design racing available in Northern California. This is NOT the newest carbon fiber unobtanium 3Di overpowered flash in the pan. You can't buy boatspeed in this fleet. When the really talented sailors (the John Kosteckis of the world) retire from professional sailing or winning world championships they get Knarrs around here or Etchells in SD or Stars in Florida precisely because they reward talent not cash.

111ae01b044c5c1e16961c782471a886.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ignatius J. Reilly said:

I guess you miss the point of the Mercury reference ... It doesn't matter.   As long there's a group of equal boats ....I don't care.   The joy of racing sailboats for me has nothing to do with the boat.  I have raced a good many classes in my past .... sailed against some of the best.   Apart from some great racing  in Starboats and Finns .... the clunky "fat guys snipe" Mercury was the best tactical fun per dollar ... hands down.   Back in college the same sort of thing involved the Tech Dinghy.   What a pig!   Don't know if they still sail them on the Charles ... but damn there were some great sailors that came through there.

Anyway ... I have really appreciated the folks on here that understood the spirit of the question.  Unfortunately it is going to be awhile before immigrating anywhere is going to be in the cards.   That said ... it is a nice daydreaming topic ....

No, you bring again logic in it. First OD racing, nice location is bonus. 

Allmost everybody brings in nice locations and sailing is a bonus. 

And sometimes you get lucky : nice locations AND nicr od sailing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happiness and Contentment.

But apparently theyre both Journeys not destinations....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If last winter is typical of what we'll have in Maryland going forward I don't have to go anywhere, the warm winter is coming to me. What passed for "winter" here was more like North Florida-South Carolina type winter. It did get cold for a week or two in December, but that was about it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After thinking about it - halftime on Oahu would not be too bad and sailing in a J80 (or my current box) at out of Kaneohe.

lanikai-beach-4-pano-oahu-hawaii-brian-h

Screen_Shot_2020-08-18_at_6_37.58_AM.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, gewoon ik said:

And sometimes you get lucky : nice locations AND nice od sailing. 

And those desirable locations have a tendency to be a little expensive. In what way is that surprising?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Black Jack said:

After thinking about it - halftime on Oahu would not be too bad and sailing in a J80 (or my current box) at out of Kaneohe.

lanikai-beach-4-pano-oahu-hawaii-brian-h

Screen_Shot_2020-08-18_at_6_37.58_AM.png

When I was there Hawaii was about the worst state of the 50 for sailing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah but who wants to live in a foreign country when you can enjoy all the bennies of Trumplandia?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the J80 idea, get one for HI and another for Annap and maybe one for St. John USVI.

Rotate thru with rental properties at each place and Bob is you uncle.

Just an idea,

Sail Safe! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mystic CT in the summer, Southern Ches Bay for the winter.  I'm months from living the dream.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Have you tried day dreaming about this?

N° 5513 | Boobs | Free Pictures

Are those USCG approved, or are they just buoyancy aids?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SailRacer said:

I like the J80 idea, get one for HI and another for Annap and maybe one for St. John USVI.

Rotate thru with rental properties at each place and Bob is you uncle.

Just an idea,

Sail Safe! 

Guys I met at LBRW did just that.  They were all in their 30's no kids and they did the circuit.  1 boat east coast, 1 west and 1 in VI..  Not bad if you can make it work...  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

Similarly, the Knarr is without a doubt the best one design racing available in Northern California. This is NOT the newest carbon fiber unobtanium 3Di overpowered flash in the pan. You can't buy boatspeed in this fleet. When the really talented sailors (the John Kosteckis of the world) retire from professional sailing or winning world championships they get Knarrs around here or Etchells in SD or Stars in Florida precisely because they reward talent not cash.

111ae01b044c5c1e16961c782471a886.jpeg

I agree.  The SF Knarr fleet is a tough group.  I think I have a little PTSD about the Knarr.  Long ago I crewed for a buddy ... big cold breeze, big flood, short tacking the City Front in a fleet that would gladly eat their young before they give up an inch!   (And if i remember correctly ... we had the additional joy of pumping the boat out all the way to Blossum) 

Really ... just a normal Saturday on the bay!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Time to start tracking the % of days lost sailing due to shit air quality in the bay area. When even an ocean race (Drakes Bay this weekend) looks much less enjoyable, even unhealthy, it gets discouraging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, everydaysailor said:

Time to start tracking the % of days lost sailing due to shit air quality in the bay area. When even an ocean race (Drakes Bay this weekend) looks much less enjoyable, even unhealthy, it gets discouraging.

The % of days? OK.

I moved here in November 1971. That is roughly 17,825 days. We lost a few last year. Let's say 10 when the air quality was poor enough that the CARB recommended against outside activities. None yet so far this year. That is 0.00056. Or look at it this way: we can sail 99.9994% of the time. Let's compare that to hurricanes, tornadoes, tropical storms, snow days, frozen days & floods. Where is the percentage better? Santa Barbara? No serious one design racing. San Diego? OK, I will give you that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oops, just received a text message that people with respiratory disease should avoid prolonged outdoor exertion. I guess that means if you have emphysema you shouldn't sail a Finn today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2020 at 2:50 PM, apophenia said:

Are those USCG approved, or are they just buoyancy aids?

I hate to be critical of a nice pair of tits, but, I think there was a malfunction somewhere along the way.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MauiPunter said:

I hate to be critical of a nice pair of tits, but, I think there was a malfunction somewhere along the way.  

Looks like the nipples were misplaced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2020 at 6:37 PM, SF Woody Sailor said:

Not true. My father was not a boomer, and he benefited. I am not a boomer, and I have benefited. My kids will too.

Prop 13 for commercial property makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

 

I'm glad YOU are happy Woody. In my neighborhood we have young families white knuckling to pay the full property tax (~10K), next to wealthy old bastards who don't pay any. Its a great system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2020 at 10:27 AM, JimBowie said:

Yeah but who wants to live in a foreign country when you can enjoy all the bennies of Trumplandia?

 

{Raises Hand}

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2020 at 1:31 PM, SF Woody Sailor said:

The % of days? OK.

I moved here in November 1971. That is roughly 17,825 days. We lost a few last year. Let's say 10 when the air quality was poor enough that the CARB recommended against outside activities. None yet so far this year. That is 0.00056. Or look at it this way: we can sail 99.9994% of the time. Let's compare that to hurricanes, tornadoes, tropical storms, snow days, frozen days & floods. Where is the percentage better? Santa Barbara? No serious one design racing. San Diego? OK, I will give you that.

 

You can even sail during & immediately after an earthquake, if you can get to the marina.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Bay Area earthquake, marina comes to you!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Baldur said:

You can even sail during & immediately after an earthquake, if you can get to the marina.

 

I was sailing in the Redwood City harbor (near the old salt pile) during the big quake in '89. Interesting times. The boat vibrated like we were going over a small chop.. On shore we could see the lampposts swaying and hear all the car alarms going off so it didn't require Hercule Poirot to work out what was going on. We finished practice and went in, and somebody with an old Saab 900 turned on the AM radio, and we heard that the Bay Bridge had collapsed, the Marina was on fire, everybody at the World Series was dead etc. We put the boats away fairly quickly after that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dragons in Cascais. Beautiful boats, and the best seafood I’ve ever had.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Driving over to San Francisco over the past weekend - A 2 bedroom condo with parking within a few blocks of the Marina Green wouldn't be too bad either.  Taxes suck but nearly every thing else a sailing man of leisure would want or need.  World class choices in sailing, shopping, dining, recreation, healthcare and cultural enrichment within walking distance or within an easy pedal . Loads of hotties that run the along the paths there would inspire an old dude/dudette to do his/her best to keep fit and healthy.  Sailing over to Sausalito for a break in weather,  lunch or race takes 30 minutes.

Screen_Shot_2020-08-26_at_11_00.14_AM.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IStream said:

In Bay Area earthquake, marina comes to you!

Fuck that, the next big one the Bay be coming to A basin....  :P  Oceanfront at 14k ft.....  :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2020 at 2:48 PM, JimBowie said:

Looks like the nipples were misplaced.

No complaints though.  She can wear a shirt....  :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

I was sailing in the Redwood City harbor (near the old salt pile) during the big quake in '89. Interesting times. The boat vibrated like we were going over a small chop.. On shore we could see the lampposts swaying and hear all the car alarms going off so it didn't require Hercule Poirot to work out what was going on. We finished practice and went in, and somebody with an old Saab 900 turned on the AM radio, and we heard that the Bay Bridge had collapsed, the Marina was on fire, everybody at the World Series was dead etc. We put the boats away fairly quickly after that.

My uncle was in the air about to land in Oakland.  They got rerouted to LA...  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2020 at 2:50 PM, apophenia said:

Are those USCG approved, or are they just buoyancy aids?

Here is what they look like after being finished:

  

tits.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/11/2020 at 4:19 PM, Geff said:

ABSOLUTELY!  Especially Norway.  But Vermont on Lake Champlain would be great too.  

Lake Champlain is a great lake to sail, and the Burlington, VT area is a great place to live and dock your boat.

  • Like 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love where I live (and have retired).  We live on the beach on an island in NW WA State.  I have planted 6,500 Pacific oysters, 12,000 Manilla clams, 35 Geoducks, and ~15,000 Mediterranean mussels are growing on everything.  When the crab season is open (July 2nd to September 7th) I can trap 5 Dungeness crab per day 5 days a week.  Life is good!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a great neighborhood.  We tend to gather with neighbors at 4pm for cocktails (socially distanced of course).  We have a sign on our patio that says:  AT 4 WE POUR.  

My next door neighbor comes by, looks in my kitchen window and cocks his head, I nod my head, and he holds up a great bottle of Scotch Whisky. . . and we pour.

He says that he doesn't want to intrude by lurking by my kitchen window, so he buys a Ship's Bell, that I mounted in our patio to let everyone know that it is 4pm.

Ding, ding, ding, ding!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2020 at 9:45 AM, SF Woody Sailor said:

I was sailing in the Redwood City harbor (near the old salt pile) during the big quake in '89. Interesting times. The boat vibrated like we were going over a small chop.. On shore we could see the lampposts swaying and hear all the car alarms going off so it didn't require Hercule Poirot to work out what was going on. 

Santa Barbara in the 70's, folks and brother sailing and I was home getting ready to go to work at the Big Yellow House,  decent sized earthquake,  they described it the same way- vibrating, water looked "jiggly ", for me at the house the movement was rotational,  like rolling waves - differentiated from typical earthquakes which we felt on a somewhat regular basis. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Latadjust said:

Santa Barbara in the 70's, folks and brother sailing and I was home getting ready to go to work at the Big Yellow House,  decent sized earthquake,  they described it the same way- vibrating, water looked "jiggly ", for me at the house the movement was rotational,  like rolling waves - differentiated from typical earthquakes which we felt on a somewhat regular basis. 

Jiggly! That’s it! I have been looking for the right word for 31 years. Thank your parents and brother from me. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, view at the front said:

We have a great neighborhood.  We tend to gather with neighbors at 4pm for cocktails (socially distanced of course).  We have a sign on our patio that says:  AT 4 WE POUR.  

My next door neighbor comes by, looks in my kitchen window and cocks his head, I nod my head, and he holds up a great bottle of Scotch Whisky. . . and we pour.

He says that he doesn't want to intrude by lurking by my kitchen window, so he buys a Ship's Bell, that I mounted in our patio to let everyone know that it is 4pm.

Ding, ding, ding, ding!

Where in the San Juan’s can you get a place with a deep water dock in front? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me, I would like to retire where I am right now. Ok, the lake is smallish and the wind is almost nonexistent, but I live 30 minutes from the center of a European capital and 20 minutes from my Yaahtclub. People keep asking me if I would crew on their H-Boats, Solings, Dragons, 5.5ers, and J/70s. Is that one design enough for ya?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 10thTonner said:

Me, I would like to retire where I am right now. Ok, the lake is smallish and the wind is almost nonexistent, but I live 30 minutes from the center of a European capital and 20 minutes from my Yaahtclub. People keep asking me if I would crew on their H-Boats, Solings, Dragons, 5.5ers, and J/70s. Is that one design enough for ya?

 

where?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Where in the San Juan’s can you get a place with a deep water dock in front? 

You probably don't have enough money?  My neighbor (with more money than god) just got a permit to install a float, but a dock is a big, big deal.  

I'm in the process of getting a Shoreline Exemption to repair my bulkhead, and it is talking months, and months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, view at the front said:

You probably don't have enough money?  My neighbor (with more money than god) just got a permit to install a float, but a dock is a big, big deal.  

I'm in the process of getting a Shoreline Exemption to repair my bulkhead, and it is talking months, and months.

Probably true!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about my great recommendation of Dillon Colorado?  See they get wind on this little lake too:

 

118579509_10224869865196827_7385261901979164165_n.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JimBowie said:

How about my great recommendation of Dillon Colorado?  See they get wind on this little lake too:

 

We were thinking of moving out to CO a few years ago. I live on the east coast so and wanted to continue sailing. We researched Dillon and I was thinking of bringing a Flying Tiger 10M with me. In the end, plans changed, but it's still on my list for retirement locations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JimBowie said:

How about my great recommendation of Dillon Colorado?  See they get wind on this little lake too:

 

118579509_10224869865196827_7385261901979164165_n.jpg

Ahhhhh, so they fixed the walkway...  Cool...  (20 or so members of a wedding party or some such decided to go on one of the pontoons for an epic pic a few yrs ago...)  The splash was impressive apparently...  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mcg00 said:

We were thinking of moving out to CO a few years ago. I live on the east coast so and wanted to continue sailing. We researched Dillon and I was thinking of bringing a Flying Tiger 10M with me. In the end, plans changed, but it's still on my list for retirement locations.

FT too big IMHO, and no one really to play with.  Etchells are growing bigly...  Plus your crew options are limited so getting rail meat on a regular basis is dificult...  3 - 4 pers crew is perfect and anything bigger than 25 ish and you run out of room too quickly to do much.  There is a Shock 40 that plays though.  Fun to see, but they run out of track real quick.....  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, shaggy said:

FT too big IMHO, and no one really to play with.  Etchells are growing bigly...  Plus your crew options are limited so getting rail meat on a regular basis is dificult...  3 - 4 pers crew is perfect and anything bigger than 25 ish and you run out of room too quickly to do much.  There is a Shock 40 that plays though.  Fun to see, but they run out of track real quick.....  

Drove around Dillon during the winter and saw that Shock 40 on the hard. Completely upset the notion I had about sailing there. Seems like pretty serious overkill. Never having seen a chart of the Lake don't know how much of it is inaccessible because of the draft that boat carries.

Just a quick followup to your comment, is the Etchells fleet growing? I thought the Etchells and Stars there were dying out. But I know nothing of sailing there and defer to your wisdom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, redboat said:

Drove around Dillon during the winter and saw that Shock 40 on the hard. Completely upset the notion I had about sailing there. Seems like pretty serious overkill. Never having seen a chart of the Lake don't know how much of it is inaccessible because of the draft that boat carries.

Just a quick followup to your comment, is the Etchells fleet growing? I thought the Etchells and Stars there were dying out. But I know nothing of sailing there and defer to your wisdom.

Know of 2 that went up this year and I think there are more coming.  The 40 belongs to a lifetime racer and a friend.  It was back in  So Cal for a while.. He lives here and keeps boat here on the hard.  Depth is no prob.  There is a town 15000000 ft below the surface..  :)   

 

Going into Frisco might be an issue though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2020 at 9:27 AM, redboat said:

Drove around Dillon during the winter and saw that Shock 40 on the hard. Completely upset the notion I had about sailing there. Seems like pretty serious overkill. Never having seen a chart of the Lake don't know how much of it is inaccessible because of the draft that boat carries.

Just a quick followup to your comment, is the Etchells fleet growing? I thought the Etchells and Stars there were dying out. But I know nothing of sailing there and defer to your wisdom.

7-8 Etchells on the line for the last regatta weekend. That's a 3 or 4  boat gain over last year. Definitely the up and coming fleet on Dillon in terms of boat additions and top talent. You mentioned Cita, the Schock 40, brought in from SoCal for, I don't know, 5 or 6 seasons. They do a great job getting juniors on board.

Non-J Boat additions to the racing fleet this year are a M-24 (too bad, as I wish these would catch fire) and a M-32 (Brutus from Ann Arbor. Looks tired). 

J/24 fleet is down big, Stars are down, and J/22 fleet is steady. J/80s have no traction and race PHRF if one or two make it out. J/24 districts are in two weeks and I've heard 8 boats will come out. Takes a regional event with national implications to motivate the top sailors to hop aboard.

Don't worry about depth until you get up through the Frisco cut and into Frisco Bay or way down toward the Blue or up the Snake. The cruising fleet has a number of 27-35' that are typical of any North American harbor. Oday, Jeanneau, Beneteau, Catalina, Pearson, Hunter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a psychology to lakes that bugs me. Even if I have no plan to more than 1 mile from the dock, I could just keep going if I wanted to now. Being trapped just annoys me. YMMV hugely.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

There is a psychology to lakes that bugs me. Even if I have no plan to more than 1 mile from the dock, I could just keep going if I wanted to now. Being trapped just annoys me. YMMV hugely.

 

Try a Great one, you can go for a day or two before you have to turn around and there are places you can't see land.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kent_island_sailor said:

There is a psychology to lakes that bugs me. Even if I have no plan to more than 1 mile from the dock, I could just keep going if I wanted to now. Being trapped just annoys me. YMMV hugely.

 

Sigh, the bane of my existence.  I have cruised here a total of 2 x.  once with the fam when I bought the boat, 2 was in Aspen a couple yrs ago w wifie and crew + wifie after a regatta.  No way in hell would I be caught dead on any local lake on a weekend that was not a sanctioned event with CG etc, too much dumb fuckery going on.  Week nights, well, same sort of, but what are you going to do??  Bob around in the middle of the lake while 1000 jetskis and PB go buzzing around??  No thanks.  Some of the best/most beautiful  racing on the planet, cruising, not so much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2020 at 11:47 PM, hobot said:

Friday Harbor and down shift to daysailing/cruising mode.

This is actually the more likely scenario; or Port Townsend, maybe Port Hadlock.  I could get the Mrs to move here, I doubt I can get her to move to Scotland.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tax Man said:

Try a Great one, you can go for a day or two before you have to turn around and there are places you can't see land.

You are not trapped in the Great Lakes, you can get out of them in 2 different directions ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fisher said:

7-8 Etchells on the line for the last regatta weekend. That's a 3 or 4  boat gain over last year. Definitely the up and coming fleet on Dillon in terms of boat additions and top talent. You mentioned Cita, the Schock 40, brought in from SoCal for, I don't know, 5 or 6 seasons. They do a great job getting juniors on board.

Non-J Boat additions to the racing fleet this year are a M-24 (too bad, as I wish these would catch fire) and a M-32 (Brutus from Ann Arbor. Looks tired). 

J/24 fleet is down big, Stars are down, and J/22 fleet is steady. J/80s have no traction and race PHRF if one or two make it out. J/24 districts are in two weeks and I've heard 8 boats will come out. Takes a regional event with national implications to motivate the top sailors to hop aboard.

Don't worry about depth until you get up through the Frisco cut and into Frisco Bay or way down toward the Blue or up the Snake. The cruising fleet has a number of 27-35' that are typical of any North American harbor. Oday, Jeanneau, Beneteau, Catalina, Pearson, Hunter. 

My heart would  be with the E22. Sailed for decades on the Western Long Sound and loved them since the day they hammered the Soling in the bogus Olympic trials. If I ever get my sorry ass out there the J22 is the more likely candidate simply because it's more versatile and there appears to be a fleet at Cherry Creek as well. All this talk and I'll probably wind up with a 12 foot aluminum skiff with electric trolling motor and a beer cooler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Other parts of NZ are looking a whole lot better than Auckland right now.

2 weeks of lockdown and looking like another few weeks of restricted gatherings and no sailing allowed. Rest of NZ is allowed racing / cruising and gatherings of up to 100.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kent_island_sailor said:

You are not trapped in the Great Lakes, you can get out of them in 2 different directions ;)

Two directions south and east.

And multiple exits

Des Plains River and on to the Gulf

Erie Canal, on to the Hudson and the Atlantic

Oswego river, on to the Hudson and the Atlantic

Rideau Canal, Ottawa River, the St Lawrence and the Atlantic

St Lawrence seaway to Richelieu River to Lake Champlain and Champlain canal and on the the Hudson and the Atlantic

St Lawrence seaway to the Atlantic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jono said:

Other parts of NZ are looking a whole lot better than Auckland right now.

2 weeks of lockdown and looking like another few weeks of restricted gatherings and no sailing allowed. Rest of NZ is allowed racing / cruising and gatherings of up to 100.

I think I would enjoy being part of a rational society that had its shit together, lockdown or no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mookiesurfs said:

I think I would enjoy being part of a rational society that had its shit together, lockdown or no.

Unfortunately, Taiwan doesn't have much sailing culture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, shaggy said:

Sigh, the bane of my existence.  I have cruised here a total of 2 x.  once with the fam when I bought the boat, 2 was in Aspen a couple yrs ago w wifie and crew + wifie after a regatta.  No way in hell would I be caught dead on any local lake on a weekend that was not a sanctioned event with CG etc, too much dumb fuckery going on.  Week nights, well, same sort of, but what are you going to do??  Bob around in the middle of the lake while 1000 jetskis and PB go buzzing around??  No thanks.  Some of the best/most beautiful  racing on the planet, cruising, not so much. 

I have family on Lake Norman. I crack up every time I see it suggested as a good place to sail. On any nice weekend you would need a few big party barges as blockers to keep from getting run over by jet-skis and powerboats.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites