Ignatius J. Reilly

Where would you retire?

On 8/17/2020 at 8:40 AM, shaggy said:

Love that pic.  Beetle kill is a tragedy tho...  Go back 20 yrs and that scene is 100% different.....  

Go back 45 yrs and it was the same.

19 hours ago, El Boracho said:

Very interesting. I've sometimes thought about how that all works out. One additional issue is how the density affects the wind speed indicators...both anemometers and wavelets. The Weather Service probably accounts for it at official weather stations, but our masthead anemometers do not. A perfect anemometer would react to speed alone but there is friction to be overcome in the bearings and the opposite cup so there is a force component that varies with air density...

How are the wavelets affected?

So our instruments, observations and sailing feel are different at altitude in some way...has anyone attempted to settle the whole issue?

The conversion from indicated to true airspeed was worked out long ago for pitot tubes:

836cfd43dd674136ddef4c3e3163232c5950482e

where

T A S {\displaystyle \mathrm {TAS} } {\mathrm  {TAS}} is true airspeed,
E A S {\displaystyle \mathrm {EAS} } {\mathrm  {EAS}} is equivalent airspeed,
ρ 0 {\displaystyle \rho _{0}} \rho _{0} is the air density at sea level in the International Standard Atmosphere (15 °C and 1013.25 hectopascals, corresponding to a density of 1.225 kg/m3),
ρ {\displaystyle \rho } \rho is the density of the air in which the aircraft is flying.

For flying, the only reason you need to do this with a calculator of some sort or with the dial on the airspeed indicator if you had one of the better ones with the adjustable true airspeed scales was for navigation, the airplane did not care about it at all. The airplane or boat only reacts to FORCE, not SPEED, so the indicated value is what matters. The big question here is does a paddle-wheel anemometer react to force, speed, or a combination of the two. If it is like a pitot tube and reacts to force, 15 knots is 15 knots as far as the boat knows.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, mookiesurfs said:

There's a helicopter on the way to Mars right now. Talk to those people. I'm sure they've figured out the air density thing. At least, as long as the people who whacked the Mars Climate Orbiter straight into Mars at a few thousand mph, after using the wrong unit measure, aren't involved. 

This time they'll confuse Mars and Venus :rolleyes: (hey I thought it was cold on Mars, WTF)

17 hours ago, 10thTonner said:

I say, don't you shear your sheep?

Shear? Hell no, get your own...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

I used to live right there. Nice enough for swimming back then, but sailing not so much. Hawaii is about the last place I would move to go sailing.

Swimming out to those islands was good exercise :)

Never swam to the islands but had a Hobie 14 that i kept on the beach. Went to Lanikai elementary and lived next door to Don Ho. Michelle Pfeiffer i understand owns the home now. I go back when i can and spend a couple of days on the beach. I never feel healthier when I am there.

I never have lived in a condo but retired and having a small 2 bedroom condo and keeping a boat like a J70 in Ali Wai is doable for a simple worker bee living in the bay area too long who may never get a chance to truely retire.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jhc said:

I say, don't you shear your sheep?

Shear? Hell no, get your own...

Do you know why Scotsmen wear kilts? Because sheep can hear a zipper.

• Like 1

Being from "Chicago," my sole never represented Chicago. Not Capone, not the daily murders, not the corruption the State is well known for.

I found my spot in the world.

One of the lowest crime rates in the U.S. I could wake up in the morning and hear the biggest news overnight was someone got a ticket for 5 over on the local highway. Went to the beach, there is a piece of plywood on two telephone poles with pegs on it holding kids lifejackets. They are left there 24/7.  You don't leave your license to get one, don't leave a credit card to get one.  Just use one and return it to a peg when done.

There was an outdoor mall, we got there before it opened, there are tall jar/vases with umbrellas in them. If its sunny or rainy, you borrow one, do your shopping and return the umbrella to another jar/vase when done.

Weather is warm year 'round. I hate the cold. This place calls my name.

10 hours ago, Glenn McCarthy said:

Being from "Chicago," my sole never represented Chicago. Not Capone, not the daily murders, not the corruption the State is well known for.

One of the lowest crime rates in the U.S. I could wake up in the morning and hear the biggest news overnight was someone got a ticket for 5 over on the local highway. Went to the beach, there is a piece of plywood on two telephone poles with pegs on it holding kids lifejackets. They are left there 24/7.  You don't leave your license to get one, don't leave a credit card to get one.  Just use one and return it to a peg when done.

There was an outdoor mall, we got there before it opened, there are tall jar/vases with umbrellas in them. If its sunny or rainy, you borrow one, do your shopping and return the umbrella to another jar/vase when done.

Glenn, and the name of this paradise is???????

We had some fun in Naples on vacation. We chartered a Mako center console and found all kinds of interesting places to go. Not so sure about sailing, but it was great for an outboard. They also had a Parade Of Lights while we were there, which was a nice thing to see, reminded us of home.

3 hours ago, Glenn McCarthy said:

Naples, FL.

Too many old people, like us, there.  Go a little north to Anna Maria Island. Gulf on the west side, intercoastal to the east.  Great sailing out of the Sarasota Sailing Squadron.  Great fishing, inshore and offshore. No high rises (OK, one complex).  No drive thrus. No fast food. Fresh fish daily from nearby Cortez.  Easy access to Bradenton and Sarasota when you need to get away from beautiful beaches and the friendliness of AMI.

please can all of you go to FL, we need property to come down a little in the rest of the country

16 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

please can all of you go to FL, we need property to come down a little in the rest of the country

Why on earth would you want property values to go down? Unless it is for a buying opportunity. Florida is filling up fast and the quality of life going down. The nice winter weather is offset by the summer’s. Even the rural areas are filling up with trash so no point in going there. 

Florida is intersting because some things are easier to get and some things are easier to lose compared to the Bay Area. For example, it is easier to get COVID and easier to lose IQ points.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

Florida is intersting because some things are easier to get and some things are easier to lose compared to the Bay Area. For example, it is easier to get COVID and easier to lose IQ points.

Lol.. some sweet blind irony in there !

53 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

Unless it is for a buying opportunity. 

Timing is everything

54 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

Even the rural areas are filling up with trash so no point in going there. 

"...are filling up" is some funny tense

Just now, MR.CLEAN said:

Timing is everything

Yep...I love the old saying "you make your money when you buy"

On 9/4/2020 at 10:11 AM, Glenn McCarthy said:

Naples is a nice spot...funny how you get a lot of mid westerners there and more east coast migration to the Atlantic side...probably the respective convenience of I75 v I95.

...not telling you to go locking up your umbrellas and life jackets, but while violent crimes are among the lowest nationwide, non violent property  crimes are around the national average https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/fl/naples/crime

I have a habit of reading local papers front to back, and when I spent some time down there(only a couple of months) I found the local crime blotter, well, colourful to say the least. Mainly a daily list of DUIs and petty thefts, many of which I had to re read and was left still scratching my head.

That said, it seems like a chilled out place, provided you’re not retiring young, with a vibrant local arts scene, and a downtown you could get around with minimal car dependence(a rarity in Florida).

9 minutes ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

It is about 85 degrees and sailboats outnumber powerboats 29 to 3 in this photo from Sausalito so I won't complain.

IMG_1338 (1).JPG

Kid and I were going to take out the 29er today. Skunked.

helping with the front door instead. Dog is complaining about the heat. 

5 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Move to Illinois, 125,000 gross are leaving the State annually, with a net 56,000 outflow. Housing price increases are the lowest in the U.S. 55% of Illinoisians surveyed want to leave the State for good.

31 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Kid and I were going to take out the 29er today. Skunked.

helping with the front door instead. Dog is complaining about the heat. 

The straits are calm enough to water ski, but there is a nice sailing breeze from Knox to the Cityfront.

Do sailboats outnumber powerboats 10:1 in Naples, FL today?

On 9/5/2020 at 11:31 AM, silversailor said:

Too many old people, like us, there.  Go a little north to Anna Maria Island. Gulf on the west side, intercoastal to the east.  Great sailing out of the Sarasota Sailing Squadron.  Great fishing, inshore and offshore. No high rises (OK, one complex).  No drive thrus. No fast food. Fresh fish daily from nearby Cortez.  Easy access to Bradenton and Sarasota when you need to get away from beautiful beaches and the friendliness of AMI.

Zillow shows what seems to be some really bad deals there. HOA fees at $900/month :o:o

On 8/12/2020 at 12:24 PM, kent_island_sailor said:

For the USA East Coast - where to go for climate?

We think about maybe moving from Maryland one day, but it seems like every step north you lose on the cold end and every step south you lose on the hot end. My wife loves Maine but we have never been there outside of July and August.

I came to South Carolina from the DC area, and I'm finding the climate here way better -- really pretty good, and I'm from SoCal.

It just doesn't rain that much. We miss very few bike rides! Up there it can rain for days on end.

It's a bit hotter here, and for longer, but still not as bad as Florida. Winter -- sometimes below freezing at night, but usually about 40F, warming to the 50s and 60s. And it's done in March.

Yes, you could sail all year.

Finally, there are far fewer bad/severe thunderstorms, and very few surprise ones.

The only thing missing is sailors! Supposedly Charleston has a lot. I'd love to know what they get up to every week, especially one-design.

On 8/15/2020 at 1:37 PM, no shoes said:

Currently house hunting in Kelowna, BC. Keep our San Diego program and winter in California and summer in Canada. 

Thats it. Pulled the trigger. So long Kits, hello Kelowna. I still can't cross the border, but SWMBO found an apartment and the house hunting is beginning in full force. Funny how life changes.

On 9/9/2020 at 10:32 AM, kent_island_sailor said:

Zillow shows what seems to be some really bad deals there. HOA fees at $900/month :o:o

Keeping all those electric wheelchairs and AEDs maintained is expensive!

On 9/5/2020 at 5:24 PM, Glenn McCarthy said:

55% of Illinoisians surveyed want to leave the State for good.

pretty close to the rest of the midwest.   the number of outgoing is 15% higher than it was when Illinois population was growing.  Not quite the end of the world.

Still, I can't come up with a single positive reason to live in IL.  Maybe you get a bit more house for the money than in MI, but probably not. 

I sure do like Vermont but the house prices just keep going up now that it's obvious that places like this are really good at ignoring the national mess and just getting on with it.  They haven't had a covid death since early august.  It's awfully nice here.

37 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

pretty close to the rest of the midwest.   the number of outgoing is 15% higher than it was when Illinois population was growing.  Not quite the end of the world.

Still, I can't come up with a single positive reason to live in IL.  Maybe you get a bit more house for the money than in MI, but probably not. 

I sure do like Vermont but the house prices just keep going up now that it's obvious that places like this are really good at ignoring the national mess and just getting on with it.  They haven't had a covid death since early august.  It's awfully nice here.

Whereabouts in Vermont are you Clean?  I'm considering bring my Melges 24 to Lake Champlaign for a slow tour around the lake in 2021.  Where shall we plan to meet for beers?

8 minutes ago, JimBowie said:

Whereabouts in Vermont are you Clean?  I'm considering bring my Melges 24 to Lake Champlaign for a slow tour around the lake in 2021.  Where shall we plan to meet for beers?

Staying at my folks' cottage in Winhall at the base of Stratton. Looking at farm properties while we are here, something with some water.  Probably not enough for a Melges, but a beer or nine would be divine.