Sign in to follow this  
Robertsail

Should I switch my inboard to an Outboard...J/92

Looking for anybody who has any info on the improvement on the race course switching to an outboard compared to an inboard worked for PHRF racing.  Currently I  race my J/92 with a PHRF rating of 108 but would like to race closer to the Olson 30's that I race against.  Thinking of switching to an outboard with the penalty.  I have heard that it is well worth it with the J/29..  Any comments will be appreciated. 

We have a local J92 that went from inboard to outboard due to a fishing line incident around the shaft.  Here is there certificate.  Currently they are highly competitive against an Olson 30 and j-29 along with various other B Fleet boats.  Click on the arrows in the modification area to see adjustment/reason.

https://c0eru285.caspio.com/dp/0dc330002829dcc1ad864b5bb094?appSession=025PN0C8WW5M3JGN8LSEMB7537A9PR4F29H998J35774C60U97R1W5JWXK4JO6D801999CRG0J197I54VDKIXXP0Y3C6C20IA00SLYQC67CTDK181LJKL720485Q5MU1&RecordID=3420&PageID=8&PrevPageID=2&cpipage=4&CPIsortType=asc&CPIorderBy=Mfg_Type&cbCurrentRecordPosition=333&Mod0LinkToDetails=True

One local racer converts all his boats to outboard, even ones you’d never expect. The general consensus is PHRF doesn’t penalize you nearly as much as you gain. If you can put up with the hassle, it is worth it. 

Thanks , The spreadsheet was great.  Would love to talk to the one fellow running the outboard on his J/92.  The funny thing is my wife is also wanting me to make the switch.  She hates inboards mostly due to the smell and noise in the cabin while we cruise.  How much faster do you think it actual helps,, 3s, 6s 10s etc?

22 hours ago, Robertsail said:

Looking for anybody who has any info on the improvement on the race course switching to an outboard compared to an inboard worked for PHRF racing.  Currently I  race my J/92 with a PHRF rating of 108 but would like to race closer to the Olson 30's that I race against.  Thinking of switching to an outboard with the penalty.  I have heard that it is well worth it with the J/29..  Any comments will be appreciated. 

Out of curiosity, what speed does your 92 power at now?  My friends’ 92 is clearly propped wrong and is dogshit slow under power. 

I will check for sure. I just have a gps reading no knot meter and I am always in current. But I think it is around 6.6knotsat 3300 rpm .  I am usually the fastest under motor compared to the rest of my club.  I have an extremely smooth hard bottom (VC offshore). Although if there is a headwind I do find the boat gets slow due to the windage of everything compared to others.  Will find out for sure and get back to you but I have never felt underpowered. 

• Like 1

On 8/14/2020 at 2:43 PM, Robertsail said:

I will check for sure. I just have a gps reading no knot meter and I am always in current. But I think it is around 6.6knotsat 3300 rpm .  I am usually the fastest under motor compared to the rest of my club.  I have an extremely smooth hard bottom (VC offshore). Although if there is a headwind I do find the boat gets slow due to the windage of everything compared to others.  Will find out for sure and get back to you but I have never felt underpowered. 

Much appreciated. My friend’s boat really needs a new prop, and knowing one that works for sure would be nice. Hell, if you do yank the inboard, let me know, I’d be happy to buy the prop!

edit:  they max out at 5.5 with their current setup. 

Went out and checked using my GPS ..... I can go 6.6 with 3300 rpm 7 knots at 3500 rpm . 

1 hour ago, Robertsail said:

Went out and checked using my GPS ..... I can go 6.6 with 3300 rpm 7 knots at 3500 rpm . 

That’s got us beat by over a knot and a half!  Thankfully it sails fast.