1. Sunbrella Marine Grade canvas in Aruba
  2. Dacron Supercruise 4oz sailcloth liner
  3. #10 YKK chain zipper and pulls
  4. Sailrite Lifetime PTFE thread
  5. Harken micro blocks
  6. 3/8" SS grommets
  7. SS Twist-Lock fasteners
  8. 1" polyester webbing

After cutting the Sunbrella with a hot knife, I folded in the 1" webbing into the bottom where the grommets will go - 3 layers of canvas + webbing should hold well

SlPk_001.jpg.2dc68387b3ecdac1c19230104d07d7e5.jpg
I used 3/8" basting tape to keep things in place

SlPk_002.jpg.769549ed923526521b3b47955fa8ffec.jpg

To sew it, I had to modify the "sewing table".  Bottom row was sewn first
SlPk_004.jpg.34320cc3b192aeead72c45950aaea4b4.jpg

Then I took the sailcloth liner and tucked it under the fold and sewed that in.  I used a clamp as a weight to help things along.
SlPk_005.jpg.7a72c5eeed0b34d28601661c1d30db50.jpg

Both bottoms and front ends sewn.
SlPk_006.jpg.94d2746efffb0574a6174bc83bf6a903.jpg

Today I installed the SS grommets, leaving the last two out.  I need to measure the extents of the main outhaul slider.  I really had to beat the crap out of the grommets to get them to sit flush.
SlPk_007.jpg.f8d651f94ed84a7609de6f71ab088f52.jpg

I'm getting the battens from Doyle and will pick them up when the genny is ready.  Once I get them, I'll sew in the pockets. the zipper and see how she fits.

• Like 4

You can,also use. PVC pipe for battens.

Why the sailcloth liner?

From experience make sure the zipper cover totally hides the zipper from the sun.

Looks great. I like sailpacks is that have the zipper on the side - makes everything dryer.

Paul

9 hours ago, Zonker said:

Why the sailcloth liner? 

From experience make sure the zipper cover totally hides the zipper from the sun.

I was going to use 3/4" PVC as recommended by Sailrite but I can only get 10' lengths and didn't want a coupling in there.

Sailcloth is slippery and helps the sail drop into the pack easier.  Plus it adds a bit of strength to the sides.  From what I saw, Doyle puts in a liner, too.

There will be Sunbrella covering the zipper.  Something I learned from Sailrite videos.  Speaking of zippers, when the Doyle guy came out to measure for sails, he told me they switched from #10 zippers to #15 zippers for tropical climate boats.  He said since doing that, they have had no zipper failures.

9 hours ago, toolbar said:

Looks great. I like sailpacks is that have the zipper on the side - makes everything dryer.

Paul

After drawing up the initial design, I've been thinking about the potential weak points in the design.  Water getting in through the zipper is one of them.  But the zipper has to fall between the battens and the battens create a catch for rain.  So putting the zipper in the center, where it will rest on the top of the stowed sail, seems the best place to have it.

I have also seen some sail lofts adding vent panels on the bottom of the sail pack.  Maybe a large flap over the zippers is worth considering.

FWIW, my zipper is on top and even though it's not 100% watertight, even a rainy winter in Seattle doesn't result in a lot of water on the sail itself. However, the boom end portion of the bag is open and I keep my boat in a slip oriented parallel to the prevailing winds, so that might help keep things dry. 

I don't think you can make it watertight so don't stress. Dacron really doesn't care if it gets wet.

Yeah our UK cover had the biggest zipper I ever saw. Certainly bigger than a #10. It held up well in the tropics but the tail was exposed at the aft end and that eventually caused failure.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2020 at 3:25 PM, Zonker said:

I don't think you can make it watertight so don't stress. Dacron really doesn't care if it gets wet.

Yeah our UK cover had the biggest zipper I ever saw. Certainly bigger than a #10. It held up well in the tropics but the tail was exposed at the aft end and that eventually caused failure.

I know I'm being totally ridiculous with this but my hopes are this is the last sail pack/cover I'll ever make. 

Since moving down in microwave land I've learned just how much damage salt and UV do here as compared to Chicago.  I used to never think about it before.  Now I'm constantly thinking about protecting stuff, from tools to pretty much everything in, on and around the boat.  It's like a career.

It's hard to believe this was started 2 months ago.  It's true what they say - the older you get, the faster times flies.

The sail pack is finished with the exception of creating an attachment means for the aft-bottom end of the pack.  The two outer D-rings will attach to the lazy jacks and the center D-ring will keep tension on the zipper. 
SlPk_010.jpg.a7c17247412baa84a88a42553a768b1b.jpg
Not sure if there will be grommets on the bottom or some means to tension the bottom to the aft end of the boom.  Is it better to secure the aft-bottom around the boom or tension it aft?

This might work great or cause regret.  I simply didn't know how to meet the forward part of the pack with the mast.  There will be 3 Loxx fasteners on either side of the mast, from top to bottom, the topmost being in line with the batten pockets.  Fingers crossed this works.
SlPk_011.jpg.94abbbcefc236b8b5b2a74af3e8f225d.jpg

To mate the bag with the mast, have a look at the Mack Pack. It’s D-shaped bits, effectively.

The liner usually is just at the fwd end to reduce chafe on the bag (luff rope, battens). Chafe is the Achilles’ heel of Sunbrella 

Madame designed our bag’s whole bottom of Phifertex for ventilation and drainage

• Like 1

Jules, are you happy with the zippers you used?  Going to build two stack packs and need to source zippers.  Sailrite has way too many options, have had terrible luck with plastic ones deteriorating and the metal pulls corroding.  Wondering what the best option is, want something big that will take the sun.

12 minutes ago, SASSAFRASS said:

Jules, are you happy with the zippers you used?  Going to build two stack packs and need to source zippers.  Sailrite has way too many options, have had terrible luck with plastic ones deteriorating and the metal pulls corroding.  Wondering what the best option is, want something big that will take the sun.

The sail pack hasn't been installed yet but we've had a binnacle cover on for several months.  Both have the same #10 YKK plastic zipper Sailrite sells.  So far the binnacle zipper is holding up great.  The cover is pretty snug, so no flapping but the zipper is strained a bit.  Seems to work fine but several months really isn't long enough to know for sure.

When the Doyle guy came out to measure the sails, I asked him about their Stack Pack.  He said they switched from a #10 to a #15 zipper and haven't had a problem with zippers since.  The #10 was giving them problems in tropical climates.

Have never seen a good zipper other than YKK. ^^^ Bigger is better. ^^^Cover them completely or plan on replacing often in the tropics. All plastic seems to be best: I.e. zero metal parts, not even the pull tab, that's just silly.

Zippers are not hard to replace, actually, in a finished item.

23 minutes ago, Max Rockatansky said:

Madame designed our bag’s whole bottom of Phifertex for ventilation and drainage

I saw some sail packs with what looked like Phifertex in patches along the bottom.  The old sail cover we had was the typical over the top, secure at the bottom type.  No sign of mold or mildew in the year+ we've had the boat, and everything here gets grungy really fast.  But the sail pack has that zipper on top, and it's between battens that act like river banks.  We'll see how it goes.

FWIW, most of my zipper problems are due to the stitching holding the zipper to the cloth degrading rather than due to the zipper itself. If you use Tenara thread or equivalent, the zipper itself probably becomes the weak link but you need to pay attention to both factors.

Call Jean at Sailmaker’s Supply and see if you can’t get RIRI zippers. Absolutely the best.

Keep the zips lubed, that helps a lot. You can replace a metal slide with a plastic slide except on coil zip, which I wouldn’t use in any case. There may be plastic slides available for coil, been awhile since I looked

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SASSAFRASS said:

Sailrite the has YKK#15 with plastic pulls, that should do it.

Thanks

Looks like they just brought them in.  Didn't have them when I last looked. 

Let us know how they work out. 

1 hour ago, IStream said:

FWIW, most of my zipper problems are due to the stitching holding the zipper to the cloth degrading rather than due to the zipper itself. If you use Tenara thread or equivalent, the zipper itself probably becomes the weak link but you need to pay attention to both factors.

Sailrite has what they label as "Lifetime" thread.  I've been using that on all exterior projects.  Yesterday I tried to break it by hand and it didn't want to cooperate.

Just this short time in Florida has taught me you can't skimp on anything that will be outside.

• Like 2

On 8/16/2020 at 12:57 AM, Zonker said:

Why the sailcloth liner?

PVC pipe in smaller diameters is not strong enough. (3/4” 17’) 

3 hours ago, LionessRacing said:

PVC pipe in smaller diameters is not strong enough. (3/4” 17’) 

In the Sailrite video they use 3/4" PVC pipe and loop the lazy jack line around the underside of the pipe.  That probably wouldn't work with thin battens because the tension is on the underside.

I'm using 1" x 1/8" battens with (4) points of attachment, spaced about 4' apart.  Obviously, if the batten turns on its side, it isn't much good but I have webbing around the batten pockets with D rings on top that I'm hoping will keep the battens properly oriented.

20 hours ago, Jules said:

In the Sailrite video they use 3/4" PVC pipe and loop the lazy jack line around the underside of the pipe.  That probably wouldn't work with thin battens because the tension is on the underside.

I'm using 1" x 1/8" battens with (4) points of attachment, spaced about 4' apart.  Obviously, if the batten turns on its side, it isn't much good but I have webbing around the batten pockets with D rings on top that I'm hoping will keep the battens properly oriented.

sailmaker got me solid round batten stock, worked better

https://bainbridgeintusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/bi_sailmaking_hardware_catalog.pdf

That's funny I thought the 3/4" PVC was away overkill, am looking for something smaller but if it's all I can get will go with it. Would take a ton of load to break that.

6 hours ago, SASSAFRASS said:

That's funny I thought the 3/4" PVC was away overkill, am looking for something smaller but if it's all I can get will go with it. Would take a ton of load to break that.

The problem with PVC pipe is it sags over time, especially in the heat.  And when it's really cold, it snaps like a twig. 

I'm actually using a stick of it for the batten in our sunshade.  It's been up about three years now full time in the sun. Definitely gets memory, the bulk of it is more a issue.  I hope to stay away from places that freeze haha!  Round batton stock would be nice but hard to get here. They do have a ton of hardware and construction stores though so maybe something else.

59 minutes ago, SASSAFRASS said:

I'm actually using a stick of it for the batten in our sunshade.  It's been up about three years now full time in the sun. Definitely gets memory, the bulk of it is more a issue.  I hope to stay away from places that freeze haha!  Round batton stock would be nice but hard to get here. They do have a ton of hardware and construction stores though so maybe something else.

My experience with PVC comes from electrical construction.  Try to use it in a pipe rack and it will quickly look like someone installed spaghetti.  But it's great for underground conduit and the best conduit for pulling wire through.  The first job I was on, we installed miles of it underground.  When we needed a quick field bend, we'd heat it over the backhoe exhaust. 

Initially, 3/4" PVC was the plan for my sail pack.  But when I went looking for 20' lengths, everything was special order, and expensive.  I needed 12' and there was no room for a coupling in the sleeve.  I had thought about EMT, because I could use a crimp connector that would fit in the sleeve, but everything metal here rusts.

Yep home depot conduit from PV amazed I can still separate the socket in the middle but it's working.  Good stuff but like you said pretty noodly.  Stuff rusts here immidiately too, was thinking aluminum tube as well but will be a corrosion ball. Wood working is cheap here and hardwood is available was also considering some long painted battons.  Being a wierd wood boat I have a couple sticks of 3/4 port orford cedar T&G as well which would work fine but I was saving for a African Queen, think I finally have a setup that will work under sail to give cover for the helm and pilot house with the slide open.

As a side we bought the home depot shade cloth to make the sun shades and I have to say I am super amazed, we had one of the Costco triangles first on the bow and I thought it was the same material, not so.  The shade cloth is doing a stellar job in the sun bit the Costco one is breaking down now.  Highly recommend that Hd stuff great material and cheep.  Have had it up on big blows and it has done fine.  Even a knockdown squal that layed the boat over at the dock, some minor tears in the hem but that's it.

• Like 1

Got the sail pack up today.  The lines still need to be fine tuned and the LOXX fasteners need to be installed at the mast.SlPk_012.jpg.70ae6e2d5a6fa5f6c132eb4d2fc8836f.jpg

Here's hoping once the main is in, everything fits okay.

• Like 2

There's a D ring sewed into the aft end of the zipper.  I'm trying to figure out how to secure it when I realize it's probably long enough to thread the topping lift through it.  As soon as I reach to undo the bowline, a wasp lands on the knot.  They had made a nest at the end of the boom but I thought I gotten rid of them.

So I go inside, grab the wasp spray and shoot it into the boom end.  Then it's back inside to wait for the spray to work.

When I come out I see one wasp struggling to stay on the topping lift knot.  So I wack it with the knot on the end of the outhaul.  It disappears.  Next thing I know, it's stinging me on the back of my shoulder.  Must have hit 3 or 4 times.  Son of a bitch!  I'm trying to wack it with a lineman's pliers as I take off but I can't see it.  Fucking wasps.

Wasps and mosquitos. I've yet to identify any benefit to the ecosystem from either except as spider food.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jules said:

There's a D ring sewed into the aft end of the zipper.  I'm trying to figure out how to secure it when I realize it's probably long enough to thread the topping lift through it.  As soon as I reach to undo the bowline, a wasp lands on the knot.  They had made a nest at the end of the boom but I thought I gotten rid of them.

So I go inside, grab the wasp spray and shoot it into the boom end.  Then it's back inside to wait for the spray to work.

When I come out I see one wasp struggling to stay on the topping lift knot.  So I wack it with the knot on the end of the outhaul.  It disappears.  Next thing I know, it's stinging me on the back of my shoulder.  Must have hit 3 or 4 times.  Son of a bitch!  I'm trying to wack it with a lineman's pliers as I take off but I can't see it.  Fucking wasps.

Looks great Jules!! Congrats on getting it done.  Bees and wasps super suck, on our last boat my wife was trying to freshen up the head and hung oranges with cloves stuck in them, it attracted a queen and we ended up having a full hive in the aft cabin...

On your zipper you might try a endless loop when the small dynema and low friction rings.  Our friend set his up that way and it worked well.  Was able to zip open and closed from at the mast.

Cover looks great!

• Like 1

Thanks, Jake.  I've been thinking about the endless loop on the zipper.  Sailrite shows one in their video.  I wanted to get the main up before adding anything else, but right now. there's something cooking just south of Cuba and we're just outside the 5 day cone.   Tropical Tidbits says if it becomes a strong storm, it's heading our way.  The waiting game continues...

I've got an endless loop and wouldn't be without it, mainly because the aft end of my boom sits well over my dodger and the forward end is too tall to reach with the battcars stacked up. In a pinch, I can position the boom just right to reach the zipper toggle when open and I can use the mast steps to reach the toggle when closed but it's oh so much easier to just grab the loop from anywhere along the boom. 

Did you use blocks or low friction rings or d rings?  I have a whole bag of small antal ones from the old fore lazy Jack's thought they would work ok.

A tiny cheek block on the mast and a tiny block seized to my topping lift about a foot above the boom end. I've got a solid vang but kept a topping lift of 1/8" dyneema just for this. My loop is also 1/8" dyneema. I don't like stretch in thin lines.

I would think that if you're using dyneema as your loop, the rings would work just fine.

On 10/24/2020 at 1:30 PM, IStream said:

I've got an endless loop and wouldn't be without it, mainly because the aft end of my boom sits well over my dodger and the forward end is too tall to reach with the battcars stacked up. In a pinch, I can position the boom just right to reach the zipper toggle when open and I can use the mast steps to reach the toggle when closed but it's oh so much easier to just grab the loop from anywhere along the boom. 

Right now the dodger and bimini are stowed, so I hadn't given any thought to them being up.  They have never been a consideration prior to moving to Florida.  Which makes the continuous loop even more attractive.

Yesterday we put up the main.  I was a bit nervous about it fitting.  It was snug but not tight until the zipper got to the mast.
SlPk_014.jpg.f3ad7a7a8e7bda779c15ed36440163cd.jpg

The LOXX fasteners are going on today.  Also looks like some more adjustments need to be made at the forward-bottom of the sail pack.  Then the lines can be trimmed to their final length.

The only thing that bothers me right now is using bowlines at the D-rings.  The plan is to lead the control lines back to the cockpit so the lazy jacks can be eased when under sail.  If the wind gets whippy, the bowlines could shake loose.  Do you sew up the end?  Choose a different knot, like a halyard hitch or fisherman's bend?  Use snap shackles?  Or what? 

Looks good!

As for the D ring connections, I wouldn't worry about the bowlines shaking loose but if you're really concerned just seize the bitter end to the standing part. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IStream said:

Looks good!

As for the D ring connections, I wouldn't worry about the bowlines shaking loose but if you're really concerned just seize the bitter end to the standing part. 

Ditto just do a quick siezing with thread no worries.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.  Seizing it is.  And that can be easily cut if needed.

We had a pretty good downpour late yesterday.  We went out this morning to take down the old genny and put up the new when I saw water dripping out of the center of the sail pack.  The weight of the sails caused the sides of the sail pack to sag and collect water.  Looks like the lazy jacks need more tension.  It's now getting to the point where I'm wondering how much tension Sunbrella can take?

With a batten along the top and the tension evenly distributed, the Sunbrella can probably take more tension than you're comfortable putting on it.

• Like 1

Just got my zippers, first sailrite order.  Pretty impressive all the way to Bocas in no time at all, definitely what I was after looks super heavy duty thanks for the recommendation!

2 hours ago, SASSAFRASS said:

Just got my zippers, first sailrite order.  Pretty impressive all the way to Bocas in no time at all, definitely what I was after looks super heavy duty thanks for the recommendation!

Let us know how that #15 zipper works out.  I'll admit to being a little tentative in the last foot or so of zipping the sail pack up.  There seemed to be enough tension to potentially open up the zipper. 

Still working on finalizing taking the lines back to the cockpit.  While working on it, I noticed the sail pack is still dripping.  Not good in Florida.  Maybe there's a pocket holding the water?  This is a still a work in progress...

5 hours ago, Jules said:

While working on it, I noticed the sail pack is still dripping.  Not good in Florida.  Maybe there's a pocket holding the water?  This is a still a work in progress...

Its a relatively easy retro to add the mesh stuff for draining and breathing later on I wouldn't worry too much.  Everything on a boat is a work in progress till you replace it and start over with the next latest and greatest

• Like 1

On 10/26/2020 at 7:05 AM, Jules said:

SlPk_014.jpg.f3ad7a7a8e7bda779c15ed36440163cd.jpg

Damn Jules - I can think of few people as skilled as you at making me feel inadequate.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Damn Jules - I can think of few people as skilled as you at making me feel inadequate.

Robinson Crusoe you ain't ...

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Thank you, Jonathon but I've seen your work.  You are a perfectionist.

BTW, I haven't received your ETA yet. There's still a lot of varnishing we've been saving for you.  We'll wait...

• Like 1

For anyone interested in the costs involved in this project. 

image.png.51192f3e715c86e107c354d84ac4cec0.png

Starting to layout our stack pack for the main.  Wondering about the lazyjack attachment to the batton.  Better to do two gromets just under the batton or cut and leather a hole to go directly to batton?

On 10/27/2020 at 1:52 PM, Jules said:

Let us know how that #15 zipper works out.  I'll admit to being a little tentative in the last foot or so of zipping the sail pack up.  There seemed to be enough tension to potentially open up the zipper. 

Still working on finalizing taking the lines back to the cockpit.  While working on it, I noticed the sail pack is still dripping.  Not good in Florida.  Maybe there's a pocket holding the water?  This is a still a work in progress...

#10 zipper compared to a #15 zipper!

06F1A9C0-947A-49EA-8BF0-9109B106E019.jpeg

• Like 1

On 10/29/2020 at 5:43 PM, Jules said:

Thank you, Jonathon but I've seen your work.  You are a perfectionist.

BTW, I haven't received your ETA yet. There's still a lot of varnishing we've been saving for you.  We'll wait...

You know whose fault that is.

Border Wall.jpeg

• Like 1

I love this cartoon on so many levels.

19 hours ago, SASSAFRASS said:

Starting to layout our stack pack for the main.  Wondering about the lazyjack attachment to the batton.  Better to do two gromets just under the batton or cut and leather a hole to go directly to batton?

Sailrite sews in webbing where slits will be hot knifed, which relies on the webbing to keep it from ripping, but it can wear over time.    Grommets envelop the opening and wear is not an issue. 

I built this for a J-44. Sewed a pocket in for the one piece rod batten.  Left a small area unstitched to be able to reach in to luggage tag the lazyjacks on, as I wanted this to be totally clean. The owner wanted it this snug, as he is not tall, and couldn’t easily reach the previous cover.  It’s about five years old, now. The owner didn’t raise the lazyjacks enough after he zipped up!  

9E9C3BC2-BECC-48C3-BB8D-EE2B53F59449.jpeg

• Like 1

This is how mine's set up too. Grommet to let the dyneema in, which is eye spliced around a fiberglass batten. Works well.

On 11/2/2020 at 9:22 PM, IStream said:

I love this cartoon on so many levels.

IMO It's the best one so far during this whole Covid/Trump situation.

Makes me laugh every time I see it.

The only thing that could have improved it would have been some gunfire. :D

Tidy little setup you got there.

Got both halves of the main roughed out.  Sailrite machine drives me nuts switching from straight to zigzag, always seem to have to mess with bobbin tension. New cat thinks the sewing thing is pretty great.  A fort to tear through and can't leave any bobbins or really anything with thread around, he is having alot of fun.  Do a fitup tomorrow and wrap up the small stuff and hand work.  Then on the the other bits.

Good day of sewing, and found two 20' sticks of PVC for the battons.  Got two sunbrella tags on the first side sewing the batton pockets so it will be my normal non church finish... Hopefully done tomorrow, has been a great busy project to keep me from checking the news every two minutes...so far I really like the zipper it is definitely the one to go with. A bit more hand work and fiddling to make the PVC work as it's so noodly. So glad I went with the field of dreams approach. Was going to go off measurements and try to save every square inch of canvas I could.  Ended up with very little left over on the cuttoffs.

11 hours ago, SASSAFRASS said:

Good day of sewing, and found two 20' sticks of PVC for the battons.  Got two sunbrella tags on the first side sewing the batton pockets so it will be my normal non church finish... Hopefully done tomorrow, has been a great busy project to keep me from checking the news every two minutes...so far I really like the zipper it is definitely the one to go with. A bit more hand work and fiddling to make the PVC work as it's so noodly. So glad I went with the field of dreams approach. Was going to go off measurements and try to save every square inch of canvas I could.  Ended up with very little left over on the cuttoffs.

Pictures, Jake!  We want pictures!!!

Should be done tomorrow will post some pics.  The hand work always takes longer than expected.

• Like 1

Probably will be messing with it for a bit but it's on.  Going to try to get the lazy jacks adjusted better to miss the battons before I make the new dynema ones. If I loose the stupid harken bearing batcars the head will clear, still debating that. Lots of fiddling around with the back and front end to get it for right before I make up the final lines etc.

So far so good first stack pack, just winging it.

IMG_20201108_163857773_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201108_163917130_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201108_163955610_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

Nice job!  You sure got that done quickly!

30 minutes ago, Jules said:

Nice job!  You sure got that done quickly!

Thanks haha, we bought the sunbrella in 2016 and have been carting the 50 yard roll around since so not really breaking any records..

• Like 1

Teaching the kiddo to sew today!  Got the lazy jacks almost done, had to sacrifice a Spinnaker sheet but since we have yet to gybe it figured thats safe.  Kid owes us for some new surf fins, we had negotiated varnishing the cap rail as payment but she really likes the sewing so hopefully will get her to build the African Queen.  It's a bit more brain power than sanding so should be fun.

IMG_20201109_173605489.jpg

• Like 3

All done.  Definitely not professional wrinkle free but I think it came out alright.  Back end took a bit of head scratching, added a little spreader to keep the shape, pretty big solid folds around the clew so wanted to keep it open.  Probably have to tweek some, still need to work on cleaning up the reef line setup. Next need a main Staysail cover, Staysail bad, fisherman bag Spinnaker bag, African Queen sun shade and lots of little line bags and mast boot.  Sewing machine should stay busy. 

IMG_20201110_112136636.jpg

IMG_20201110_112504072_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201110_112448631_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201110_112358062.jpg

IMG_20201110_112408390_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

Nicely done. I love the color and Sassafrass is a beauty.

You had to do some serious customization there.  Nice job!  And I'm envious you have an enthusiastic apprentice ready to take over at the sewing machine.

22 hours ago, IStream said:

Sassafrass is a beauty.

I second that!

Got the fore staysail cover done and the African Queen. Still need to build some strops and finish the connections on the African Queen.  Want it to be all toggles and pelican hooks for dropping.  Had about 20kts and it seemed to do ok, tried to keep it as flat as possible.  Had grand ideas about setting or up so we could have up with the main but I'm not seeing it.  Need too much tension on stuff so it will be light air and motoring.  Used the old main cover to make cockpit cushion covers, get a few more years hopefully.  Should have enough to give the dingy cover a rejuvenation.  The African Queen is like the deck refit, we are wondering why in the hell we took so long to do it, totally changed the outside space.  Sat out in a decent blow with alot of rain and stayed nice and dry.  I was going to do a tube Bimini but it's just too far away from the type of boat couldn't do it.

So far about $1500 in materials, plus the line and misc rigging bits in stock.  Should have enough for another stack pack, bow cover and two more sail bags.  Plenty of cuttoffs for line bags etc.

Looking great!  You don't mess around. 

I'm still trying to figure out how you sewed all that from your galley table...

Got the last of the hardware installed yesterday - small deck organizer and rope clutch.  One thing I noticed, whatever the orientation of the boom was when you set the line lengths for the lazy jacks, you have to return to that orientation for the sail pack to sit right.  We tightened the main sheets for Eta and once I unwrapped the canvas, the sail pack didn't sit so good because the boom end was lower.

SlPk_016.jpg.bd50d1d33812b3e841e367b2ed282782.jpg

SlPk_017.thumb.jpg.ecf69158ac70517d08d316f28a17ccbf.jpg

Do the jack lines that lead down to the sailpack and tension it have the ability to slide relative to the lines that lead up from the pack? That adds a degree of forgiveness to the boom position. 

3 hours ago, IStream said:

Do the jack lines that lead down to the sailpack and tension it have the ability to slide relative to the lines that lead up from the pack? That adds a degree of forgiveness to the boom position. 

The lazy jack lines were tailed back to the cockpit so they could be eased, to whatever degree needed, when sailing.   

I'm referring the other end. If you consider just one side, the tensioning line runs from the cockpit to the mast, then up the mast, then around a block and down to a line that forms an inverted V, each leg of which leads to another inverted V, the ends of which attach at four places along the bag (or boom).

It's important that the lengths of each V leg can vary to allow the jacks to adjust their geometry when retensioned at different boom angles. On my setup, each inverted V is a single line running through a stainless ring. The line above attaches to the ring but because the legs of the V slide through the ring, they can change as the boom angle changes. You could do something similar with a small block or even just running the lower lines through eyes in the upper lines.

You may already be doing this but if not, it's the first thing I'd do.

8 hours ago, Jules said:

Looking great!  You don't mess around. 

I'm still trying to figure out how you sewed all that from your galley table...

I had the orange guy in the last pic to help.. he mostly tears through nthe canvas pile at inopportune moments, he grabbed a hand needle once and took off, thought for sure he would get skewered.

A proper table would be nice, kinda have to plan the build around what can go through the machine.  It would be nice to do the double sticky roll and not have to pull a bazillion staples but it all came out ok.

On your lazyjacks, does your main set with the clew raising the boom some?  It so if you set them right with the boom parralel they will slack enough once the main is up and be happy then when the main is dropped and you are back on the topping lift or Vang they will be back to the same tension so you shouldn't have to mess with.

Well that's it, finished fisherman bag and Spinnaker bag, AKA cat bed number 20.  Bow hatch cover and Staysail bag.  Have 40' left for another stack pack and mostly pretty small cuttoffs, enough for a mast boot and some little stuff.  Not alot of waste which is nice. Lots of handwork to fiddle with, need to clean up closures on most of the covers, probably just wait and get some zippers. Time to put the machine away for a bit.

IMG_20201118_093536663.jpg

IMG_20201118_093608293.jpg

IMG_20201118_093649132_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/16/2020 at 10:47 AM, Jules said:

I was going to use 3/4" PVC as recommended by Sailrite but I can only get 10' lengths and didn't want a coupling in there.

Sailcloth is slippery and helps the sail drop into the pack easier.  Plus it adds a bit of strength to the sides.  From what I saw, Doyle puts in a liner, too.

There will be Sunbrella covering the zipper.  Something I learned from Sailrite videos.  Speaking of zippers, when the Doyle guy came out to measure for sails, he told me they switched from #10 zippers to #15 zippers for tropical climate boats.  He said since doing that, they have had no zipper failures.

If you do not want a coupling then get a wood dowl (hardwood) and connect the pieces that way.  You can recess a screw to keep them together.

23 hours ago, SASSAFRASS said:

Time to put the machine away for a bit.

With all the work you did in such a short time, I'm surprised it didn't melt!

1 hour ago, Jules said:

With all the work you did in such a short time, I'm surprised it didn't melt!

That's funny, it's actually the opposite, it's so damn humid right now I have to run scraps through every morning because it gets surface rust on the plates and shoe.  Don't want to oil it unless it's getting stored.  Really need to get the wood box for it will be looking for one.

I got a gross of good grommet s and the punch and dies but one lesson learned is to stock medium good zipper pulls and lengths.  It sure would have made alot less work for some of it.

• Like 1