JonRowe

RWYC Lonely Rock Race (Original Fastnet Course)

Live stream of the start 

• Like 1

Standard Yellow Brick tracker: https://rwyc.org/lrr/tracking/

Pip Hare is taking her newly refitted Medallia round the course 3 up including Paul Larson, couple of the big JPKs out but not a huge fleet. Pip's update this morning indicated some hard running conditions expected for her after the rock, which means everyone else is going to take a beating up to the rock I guess!

Tricky start for the fleets in light winds (peaks of 10 knots but regularly down around 5).

Medallia sailed away from the fleet when they all parked up and she somehow avoided it.  Nice lead.

3 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Medallia sailed away from the fleet when they all parked up and she somehow avoided it.  Nice lead.

Apparent wind is magical when you're 60 ft long ;)

And they’ve shortened the course to rounding Wolf Rock and then sailing to Plymouth :D 

10 hours ago, JL92S said:

And they’ve shortened the course to rounding Wolf Rock and then sailing to Plymouth :D 

Yep - things getting nuclear off the South Coast of Ireland on Thursday, so the decision was made to shorten the race to keep the fleet out of the worst of it. 

At least that's what I think - nothing on the site to explain it as far as I can see

1 hour ago, Icedtea said:

Yep - things getting nuclear off the South Coast of Ireland on Thursday, so the decision was made to shorten the race to keep the fleet out of the worst of it. 

At least that's what I think - nothing on the site to explain it as far as I can see

Yes most probably, the start of leg 3 of "les sables les acores" has been delayed as well to avoid the same system 

Should have moved the finish to Cherbourg to keep the distance up ;-)

Or do a lap round Guernsey or something

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Snowden said:

Should have moved the finish to Cherbourg to keep the distance up ;-)

Or do a lap round Guernsey or something

Maybe! It looks so bad I think a strict "get them boats the fuck out of the way of the system" policy is being enforced

55 minutes ago, Icedtea said:

Maybe! It looks so bad I think a strict "get them boats the fuck out of the way of the system" policy is being enforced

There is also COVID regulations to think about, don't want boats having to take refuge outside of the UK

20 hours ago, JonRowe said:

There is also COVID regulations to think about, don't want boats having to take refuge outside of the UK

Or maybe just that the finish in Plymouth is more important than anything else (other than Seamanship)...that is, after all, the sole reason for creating the race. Avoiding having the boats Finish/take shelter 'abroad' was surely part of the decision making process. Of course in this instance 'abroad' includes anywhere West of the Tamar...:rolleyes:

I do believe the decision was made on seamanship, not anything else. 

I also think that, since the Fastnet delayed their start a few years ago, there is a lot more emphasis on the RC to make seamanship decisions for the skippers; something I disagree with, as it leaves the RC taking responsibility which Rule 4 should cover.

4. DECISION TO RACE

The responsibility for a boat's decision to participate in a race or to continue racing is hers alone.

1 hour ago, Potter said:

I also think that, since the Fastnet delayed their start a few years ago, there is a lot more emphasis on the RC to make seamanship decisions for the skippers

The responsibility for a boat's decision to participate in a race or to continue racing is hers alone.

There is another way of reading it, which is not that the RC was taking a seamanship decision on behalf of the competitors but that the RC's preference is to have a decent number of competitors finish, analogous to shortening a course in light winds.

2 hours ago, Snowden said:

There is another way of reading it, which is not that the RC was taking a seamanship decision on behalf of the competitors but that the RC's preference is to have a decent number of competitors finish, analogous to shortening a course in light winds.

Quite possibly, I just feel that the more these decisions are made by RC the closer we are getting to a competitor blaming an RC for their own decision to race.  A little like a motorsports driver blaming Race Control for racing in sketchy conditions. The driver can always choose not to race, but if everyone else is racing then....

I am just worried about a general slide in that direction.  Sailing relies upon enthusiastic volunteers to make racing happen, if they feel they might get the blame we will lose the people we need to make it happen.

As long as an RO is a decent ex racer, or done more official stuff than most sailors their decisions will generally be the right ones.

It is the officious local club only ones I worry about.

• Like 1

Lonely rock race winner Sunrise dropped their rig on Saturday in the RORC summer series race. Bet they’re glad the LR race didn’t take them into the Irish Sea

Get over it! 

Gusting 67 knots Wednesday night at Rame Head. Very sensible RC decision to shorten course to the Wolf Rock and get the fleet home safe.

Anyway the RWYC have just announced new Fastnet biennial race to run in the non Lonely Rock years. Plymouth back to Plymouth around 500 miles. Great challenge, congratulations RWYC. 

4th July 2021, save the date! 

Perfect timing to get back to watch the SailGP on the 13/14th July. Feast of sailing in Plymouth in 2021.

On 9/10/2020 at 11:40 PM, winchfodder said:

Get over it! 

Gusting 67 knots Wednesday night at Rame Head. Very sensible RC decision to shorten course to the Wolf Rock and get the fleet home safe.

Anyway the RWYC have just announced new Fastnet biennial race to run in the non Lonely Rock years. Plymouth back to Plymouth around 500 miles. Great challenge, congratulations RWYC. 

4th July 2021, save the date! 

Perfect timing to get back to watch the SailGP on the 13/14th July. Feast of sailing in Plymouth in 2021.

I think you have me confused with someone who thinks it was a bad decision to shorten the course...

On 9/12/2020 at 11:36 AM, JL92S said:

I think you have me confused with someone who thinks it was a bad decision to shorten the course...

It was Potter I was referring to.