Sign in to follow this  
agcowvet

New to the Force 5

Any tips? Took her out for the first time tonight. Capsized once, didn't ease or hike enough in a gust. Way more fun than a Sunfish! 

First boat I've sailed with a vang. Vang is for flattening the sail off the wind, correct? End of boom was uncomfortably close to the water when rolling a bit with vang on, what am doing wrong? Rolling too much, vang on too far? What do I do with the vang when gybing?

Vang controls how tight the leech, or trailing edge of the sail is. Generally you want it tighter going upwind than down, but a little tension helps with downwind control.

F5's have a traveler which is another useful depowering tool, once you've bladed the sail with the outhaul and the vang you can drop the traveler to spill some air off the top of the sail. conversely, in drifter breezes you can pull the traveler slightly to windward to power up more than you could otherwise.

How far up are you pulling your centerboard going downwind? You want to leave a little bit so the boat has something to steer against, you also want to tilt the boat a little bit to windward which will help with keeping the boom out and rolling around.

• Like 2

Board up probably halfway. Will try loosening vang a bit and bringing board up a bit more next time. Heel to windward, gotcha.

More practice! Can't wait! 

Welcome!

Downwind, you mostly just want enough vang on to stop twist at the top of the sail, as that apparently can contribute to a sudden death roll. That really only happens on a run though, which isn't usually what you're doing on a F5. As long as you don't leave the vang tight from going upwind, gybing should be fine. If you leave it really tight, you can break the gooseneck. Otherwise, just keep in mind that flat is fast and have fun. You can find more info at force5class.org too.

If your wind was anything like mine yesterday, it was a fun day to be out. I was doing over 9-10kts just screwing around.

• Like 1

Congrats and welcome to force5 sailing!  onepointfivethumbs and posaune both have sound advice and my experience on the f5 matches their suggestions.  Play with the dagger level downwind, there's variation on these boats by year, so what is perfect on one isn't guaranteed to be correct on the other.  For example, the angle of attack on the rudder for my '74 and my '80 are different by over 5 degrees, my '80 deck has an inch longer overhang on the transom which changes my stops on steering, and my daggers are about a half inch different in length and almost an inch different in height. 

The new class website brought over many of the good resources from the old site and you don't have to join to access them.  However, if you do decide to join, the fees are nominal.  Which reminds me, I need to throw down my $20 for this year to help keep the class alive.

Have fun sailing and keep that boom out of the water.  :)

• Like 1

This was my first boat before going Laser in the early 80's.  I loved it!  More horsepower than the laser and the hard chine hull really goes well upwind.  Loved having a cockpit I could actually put a small cooler in and was large enough to legitimately fit 2 people.  Also, all of the controls were on the deck, (which took the laser 40 years to get to).

The laser beat it to market and that class did a much better job of getting organized.  Force 5 never took off, but it's a great boat. I'll leave the other details to the guys Grestone named for sailing advice. 

• Like 2

I also am new to the Force 5. I purchased a "fixer-upper" two weeks ago, finally got all the crud , from sitting inverted under trees for 15 years, washed off.

It's complete, but needs new woodwork and a hole patched in the port side on the chine a few feet ahead of the stern. There is also a crappy old repair to the bottom of the daggerboard trunk, where it meets the cockpit sole. I got a new sail last week from Intensity to replace the mouse eaten one. 

This is my first sailboat, but not my first boat by a long shot. I decided to learn to sail for my 59th birthday.

Any tips or recommendations are more than welcome. except to throw it away, I like to restore stuff. It's what I do. :D

I have before and after pics if anyone wants to see them. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

After a life time of faffing around with sailing boats I found a bit of advice from John Bertrand (the Australian America's cup one and Finn sailor) that really helps with finding where to start with all the string pulling and hanging over the side

He said that going fast was about deciding how much you wanted the boat to heel over and adjust everything else to keep the heel where you wanted it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 4EYES said:

I also am new to the Force 5. I purchased a "fixer-upper" two weeks ago, finally got all the crud , from sitting inverted under trees for 15 years, washed off.

It's complete, but needs new woodwork and a hole patched in the port side on the chine a few feet ahead of the stern. There is also a crappy old repair to the bottom of the daggerboard trunk, where it meets the cockpit sole. I got a new sail last week from Intensity to replace the mouse eaten one. 

This is my first sailboat, but not my first boat by a long shot. I decided to learn to sail for my 59th birthday.

Any tips or recommendations are more than welcome. except to throw it away, I like to restore stuff. It's what I do. :D

Hmm, the repair at the bottom of the daggerboard trunk may be the trickiest bit. The trunk is a seperate molding and in most cases is poorly bonded/sealed to the hull. It may be worth cutting out a big area next to the damage, saving the panel, so you will have good access.

Then you can do a good repair/rebuild of the trunk/hull joint. It's difficult to do a good job on stuff you can't see and can only reach with three fingers. Putting the cut-out panel back in should be a snap

The Force 5 is a pretty good boat, I had on back in the day and liked it more than the Laser. Should be pretty straighforward to sail.

FB- Doug

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 4EYES said:

I would like to see the pics

On 9/8/2020 at 12:19 PM, Admiral Hornblower said:

I would like to see the pics

KIMG0539-600x338.jpg KIMG0507-253x450.jpg KIMG0499-600x338.jpg KIMG0506-600x338.jpg KIMG0504-253x450.jpg KIMG0518-253x450.jpg KIMG0517-253x450.jpg KIMG0535-600x338.jpg

Top pic is, of course, the bottom of the dagger board trunk/hull joint after cleaning.

Following that are "before pics".

Then the  "after pics" after a LOT of scrubbing with a laundry detergent, hot water, and a 3M scrub pad.

Last is the only major ding in my dinghy. :P

A picture of a dagger board trunk in "proper nick" would help a lot. It's nice to know what something is supposed to look like before you try to replicate it. :rolleyes:

• Like 1