hobot

Need to Purchase a New External Drive

I'm in need of a new external drive. I collect quite a few pictures for both work and the Random PicThread. The drive I have now is pretty much maxed out with work pictures, saved Word docs and saved Excell docs. 

Am looking on Amazon and quite frankly, I have no idea of how much storage I need. Any good help will be greatly appreciated.

T.I.A. hobot

asked a it tech she said" size doe sent matter, most people are just using the cloud for photos"

storage is cheap as chips , seagate 4TB for 120 OZ currently

buy 2 and set one as a back-up.

Sew you donut have a CostCo card anymore than a camera :lol::lol::lol::lol:

** OPP's-ATW  ;)

** Other Peoples Pix  -  All The Way

Given this hostile environment, s'prised no one mentioned this "external drive":image.png.9152b3310c2f8bd0eeb5c874a8ecddeb.png

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mid said:

storage is cheap as chips , seagate 4TB for 120 OZ currently

buy 2 and set one as a back-up.

***this.

I have 4x 4Tb drives on my desk.  One for media, one for work data, and a full/mirrored backup for each. 

I work off of a laptop, how do you wire something like that up? one drive at a time depending on what you're working on?

21 minutes ago, hobot said:

a laptop

so only 1 or 2 usb ports and the mouse already has one ?

you're foked .

you can use a usb hub but it'll be at snail pace :(

4 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

why bother with 5tb's when you can get 8 for $30 more

https://www.amazon.com/Elements-Desktop-Hard-Drive-WDBWLG0080HBK-NESN/dp/B07D5V2ZXD/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=wd+8tb+elements&qid=1597899241&s=electronics&sr=1-1

i've never had a problem with western digital harddrives...  hopefully your puter will have a usb 3.0 port to take advantage of fast transfers..

Macbook pro so ymmv but +1 on the WD. I have an 8 that i edit video on and various  4 TB s for other stuff. USB 3 is a must. You can get usb3 hubs that are pretty quick.

My external HD that I used to back up Quicken and Quickbooks files had a melt down.  I now use a 32 GB flash-thumb drive now, as it holds enough data for my purposes.

9 hours ago, hobot said:

Solid state will be faster access, but perhaps shorter life.  They are all pretty much plug-n-play.  If there is a Microcenter near you, you might check them out for better prices and decent advice.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hobot said:

I work off of a laptop, how do you wire something like that up? one drive at a time depending on what you're working on?

I use to have two external hard drives running..  once you plug into the USB you computer should assign it a new drive such as local disk E:, local disk F:, etc.... 

If you are short on USB ports, this is what I recently got to solve the problem..... 10T for me :)

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-External-Desktop-Photography-STEL4000100/dp/B01HD6ZLIY

You can even partition this to keep folders and files segregated..

https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/free-partition-external-hard-drive-windows-10.html

Hope this helps

Didn't see this answered - portable units get powered by the USB while desktop use AC power.  If not SS a portable will usually be slower than a desktop which if using as a backup is not that big a deal.  I have not ventured into the Cloud although it seems to be the thing now. Newfangled stuff. All HDs are more reliable now in my experience, WD is still the best although I have a Seagate portable for over a year with no issues. Note to self: when ordering late at night review carefully your order.

12 hours ago, DRIFTW00D said:

asked a it tech she said" size doe sent matter, most people are just using the cloud for photos"

and they are allowed to keep copies of anything you post. I feel bad for the youngsters today who put all sorts of shit up. One day some douche bag will search and find their shit to bag on them with. Many college kids will never make it to politics later in life.

Having said that, I am looking at a new home router and personal  Cloud/NAS. not sure if I should buy a pre-made or get the bare bones, then get some really good drives. Going with the proper RAID can make recovery pretty easy. They got some pretty cool stuff out there but it can get pricey. I'm thinking of 4 Gb but want to be able to scale up if needed.

I have had reasonable success with 8TB USB3 Seagate desktop expansion drives (8tb version of the 4tb you posted).  As they are "desktop" expansion drives, they do require external power.  A usb3 hub is pretty cheap and, as the drive will be used for archive purposes, speed isn't as critical. I run them on linux desktop and laptops as file servers, including remote backup servers of production data.  I did have one fail once, so make sure you have a backup solution for your backup solution!

You could likely run one off your router if it supports network storage options.  Basically, plug the external drive into the USB port on the router and then configure the router to serve samba shared storage to ONLY the lan side of the network.  That avoids loss of portability of your laptop and permanent use of a laptop USB port.

Again, speed of access of archived photo information doesn't sound like a critical aspect of your solution.  Storage capacity is like a more significant factor.  We used to say that buying more MIPS and gigs was always the right answer.

3 hours ago, Que said:

You could likely run one off your router if it supports network storage options.  Basically, plug the external drive into the USB port on the router and then configure the router to serve samba shared storage to ONLY the lan side of the network.  That avoids loss of portability of your laptop and permanent use of a laptop USB port.

some of the routers provided by your internet service may disable those usb ports, so check before you decide on that route

I bought this one a while ago for my auto backups and its performing great. 2TB and got good reviews.....well, as good as anyone. Also the USB 3.0 for transfer speed. Transfer speed may be especially important to you since photos are memory intensive. The final reason for me was it comes formatted for the Mac already but its easy to reformat if you're a windows machine. I don't really recommend it because I think its awesome, but its what I picked after some research and it seems as good as any others and it's doing the job fine.

https://www.amazon.com/BUFFALO-MiniStation-Portable-Drive-HD-PCF2-0U3BD/dp/B01NAOQN79/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&fst=as%3Aoff&keywords=buffalo+ministation+thunderbolt+external+hard+drive&qid=1597954671&refinements=p_89%3ABUFFALO&rnid=2528832011&s=electronics&sr=1-2

Thanks all for the info. My old laptop had 35K stored pictures when the black screen of death descended upon it.

It might have been noticed that I mostly stick to ten posts (30 pics) at a time when working on the Pic Thread, I've been utilizing my phone for all this work and as I post along I create an E-Mail to myself where I attach the posted pics to and then delete them afterwards from the picture folder so in a weird way I'm using Gmail as a cloud storage service.

I like the idea of two storage devices as I have future plans for the last several years worth of work and having everything stored in a brick just makes more sense for working/organizing content. The downside of using my phone is that I don't know what the "size" of the pic is (see top of page #35501 as an example), it all looks good on a phone.

My biz requires me to take before and after pictures, the 8 year old storage device I've been utilizing is pretty full, with the purchase of a new laptop I don't want to make the storage mistake again so just know I really appreciate the supplied info and if there's any other thoughts out there....keep them coming!!  

*edit*  Laptop with Windows 10 and we use a wireless modem from xfinity.

IMG_20200819_225118841_(1).jpg

I have a WD 4TB drive as primary storage device and it seems fine.  I also use Acronis Cloud for backups and then I have a Samsung T5 1TB SSD for backup of the super important shit.  The T5 is insanely fast and after a couple years you copy everything to a new drive and give the old one to the kids or bin it.

MS

13 hours ago, hobot said:

Thanks all for the info. My old laptop had 35K stored pictures when the black screen of death descended upon it.

Make sure you take those old laptops apart and salvage the drives. The can make good devices to use or give to the kids if you get a case for them.
I have a Yoga 900, about 4 years old with a 256 ssd. I am thinking of opening it up to a 1 Tb and have another external. With a new grand kid, family photos are taking lots of room.

• Like 1

I recommend a network storage drive. This is the best way to store content as you can back up your phone directly to it wireless though port forwarding. This is much better than connecting a USB cord to a computer and then networking the drive. You can connect a USB based external HD to a router but it needs to have a USB port for it but remote access isn't as easy.I have a Buffalo NAS https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JY4QJZ8/ref=twister_B07Y2MN5FF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 and depending on the level of security/redundancy you can either have 8TB configured without internal backup or 4TB where one HD mirrors the other and encase there is a corrupt file on one the other is able to repair it. 

4 minutes ago, RImike said:

I recommend a network storage drive. This is the best way to store content as you can back up your phone directly to it wireless though port forwarding. This is much better than connecting a USB cord to a computer and then networking the drive. You can connect a USB based external HD to a router but it needs to have a USB port for it but remote access isn't as easy.I have a Buffalo NAS https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JY4QJZ8/ref=twister_B07Y2MN5FF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 and depending on the level of security/redundancy you can either have 8TB configured without internal backup or 4TB where one HD mirrors the other and encase there is a corrupt file on one the other is able to repair it. 

That is funny, I was just looking at that exact device just now.. With the Raid 1 you get Mirroring which is good as long as both drives do not fail at the same time. At $298.00 4 Tb usable is pretty good with the Raid 1

https://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-LinkStation-Private-Storage-Included/dp/B00JY4QJZ8/ref=zg_bs_13436301_40?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=8PB8AZR33ZM66RN2QJRW&th=1

I've had a drive failure and RAID 1 saved everything, I've also had had a drive failure in RAID 0 and didn't do a backup yet on it and I lost lots of data during the recover. While the Buffalo remote access web portal is simple and somewhat clunky in design I do like the ability to remotely access the drive from either my cellphone or computer. I will say, these drives like to be cool so ensure there is airflow and the internals are cleaned often. 

I have had good luck with Synology NAS with two WD Red drives set in Raid 1 mirroring (I probably just jinxed them).  But after learning the hard way ---- important backup also needs to be off-site.  The unexpected (theft/flood/fire) and they are gone.  So critical stuff is also backed up on the cloud.

This. Have WD dual drives in a raid 0 configuration 4tb ea. Plus cloud backup. Both safe and can access from anywhere via the web. We now have 3 I'm the house, master with all shared stuff one for my wife and one for my son. Those 2 backup to the master which backs up to cloud. Easy to setup and manage. 

Easy for who? I might as well be trying to learn Greek!

:mellow:

So where do I learn of this stuff?

6 hours ago, yoyo said:

I have had good luck with Synology NAS with two WD Red drives set in Raid 1 mirroring (I probably just jinxed them).  But after learning the hard way ---- important backup also needs to be off-site.  The unexpected (theft/flood/fire) and they are gone.  So critical stuff is also backed up on the cloud.

I've heard good things about Synology but never actually known anyone who used it. A bit pricey for home but probably good for business??????

Always have an off site back up for critical data.

2 hours ago, hobot said:

I hate to say it, but it is called LIFE. Time, some $$$, listen to those who are commenting here.

Yea, get your feet wet and take the plunge.

BAM you only learn by doing. That's how I got good at sailing and programming. It's called experience and Local College. Damn, look what it got me, I should have become an attorney.

15 hours ago, hobot said:

Yeah the NAS was a bit more work to set it up than a stand alone backup HD.  Main reason I went with a NAS was I wanted the mirroring so if one HD fails the other one should be fine.  I also needed to have remote access to files when I travelled for work.  There were a bunch of how-to videos from Synology and youtube and I got it done without too many headaches.  I only use for backup and remote (personal cloud) access.  Its capable of doing a lot more than that.

Today, if it wasn't work related I would just get the fastest external drive setup that will work with my PC/laptop.  I would also make sure everything I don't want lost is also safe on the cloud.  One nice thing about the cloud is that it offers you easy access to your files from anywhere as long as you have internet.

Easiest cheap answer is likely a single drive attached to a router.  If your ISP supplied router doesn't have a USB port, you can install an off-the shelf router as a client on your network and be off to the races.  This allows access to the drive from any LAN attached PC and doesn't keep your laptop tethered to a desk.  The down side of this is backup capability.  You may decide to have a second drive that you temporarily plug into your PC once a week and manually copy info over.

Cloud is a great option and gives you reliability, but if you go this route, pay to get the right solution for you.  That old warning comes to mind...if you're not the paying customer, you're the product being sold. 

An elegant/cheap option is to deploy your own cloud service.  I used an old POS netbook PC that I had on a shelf (atom processor, made back in 2011) and threw a linux distro on it.  A USB hub and a few drives set up to mirror using logical volume management and my nextcloud server (similar function to dropbox) has been very reliable.  Total cost was the drives and the hub.  This is relatively easy to setup and there are a lot of internet resources for guidance, but it is not totally intuitive.  In short, if you have an interest in building something like this, it can be learned and set up within a week.  If you don't have interest in the technical side of a server (no judgement, simply a statement here), this is a non-starter as it will frustrate the hell out of you.

Elegant/easy options are the "NAS in a box" options described above.

19 hours ago, hobot said:

We use Synology NAS at work. Very capable, but pricey and way more complex to setup and manage. WDD and Buffalo do a much better job with their NAS software. 

Ours is more complex than average for sure.

But the WDD stuff is actually really simple

1. Buy a drive with the capacity you need.

2. Plug that drive in to the USB and connect to the setup utilities. Follow the steps. All in English rather than Tech speak for the basics

3. Detach and plug the drive into your router using a ethernet (network cable)

4. Access the settings using a browser. Address is provided by the drive during setup. 

5. Setup shared folders that your windows will be able to map permanently.

With WDD you also setup a mycloud and there is a switch in the drive to backup there, and or allow access there. Your choice, all local, all cloud or hybrid. 

Screenshot from mine. Very easy no techspeak for the basic functions

Also ships with PC backup software so you can backup your PC's to the drive as well as backup the drive to the cloud if you want. You can also integrate most commercial cloud backup if you already have one. 

image.thumb.png.e35faca6d90bd51462e59e3b6d703c40.png