Breamerly

Zombie Boats > Balls

This would seem to point to mismanagement by local politicians more than malfeasance of homeowners. The locals certainly could look to tax rentals to pay for the added loads on infrastructure. Considering the owners of said property don't even get to vote, why don't they :unsure:

32 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

This would seem to point to mismanagement by local politicians more than malfeasance of homeowners. The locals certainly could look to tax rentals to pay for the added loads on infrastructure. Considering the owners of said property don't even get to vote, why don't they :unsure:

Some communities have well developed capital improvement plans that demand payment from developers to put in a kitty for future facilities.  If it is managed right, when you hit the tipping point for increasing water plant capacity, sewer treatment capacity, etc., The money is there....in theory.

Some developments are big enough that they provide their own treatment facilities and turn them over to the municipality.

Of course there is much room for abuse, corruption, and naivete.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Almost no one "owns" a house in the sense they paid cash for it, I would assume most houses are bought with mortgages.

It's such a tired old saw to waggle a finger at the rest of society this way, all balanced on some hair-splitting: you don't really own that house, you sap!

Ownership is defined in most legal cases and also in common use as exclusive right to exclusively control the enjoyment, employment, and disposal of an asset. This is not the same as a legal interest in a property.

Even if you're underwater on a zero-down ARM mortgage, you own the house. You get to use it, no one else does, and you can sell it or bulldoze it and build condominiums or a church to the god-emperor Zod or a giant stucco cock: the bank has no say. The bank manager can't come swim in your pool. They can't decide it would be better for them if you did AirBNB with the backyard cottage. They can't (unlike an HOA) so much as ask you to keep the lawn mowed.

If you give a third party a legal interest in a property in exchange for a loan and then fail to make the payments, sure - they can ask a court to convert that legal interest to ownership, or to force a sale so that they can get their share of the value back. But until the judge's gavel goes bang they are not the owner.

In fact, nothing could be a better example of this than an underwater loan: try giving the bank 'their' house back then.

Interestingly, this is actually kind of a reciprocal of the standard that @Steam Flyer and others are applying here - that essentially someone's full-time personal use of a property should confer a different type of privilege in local communities. They are more truly 'owners' because they're actually the ones present on, and using, their properties, not to mention continuing to the life of the local community.

I wonder: if you had two 'owners', one who rented his property and was never around, but had all but a single dollar of the mortgage paid off, and one who lives on his land full time, and is the third generation to do so, but through bad luck and a stupid art gallery his wife wanted to finance now has a lien on his house for all but a single dollar of its value.

Who is more an 'owner'?

Anyway, off to practice some knots or something.

A lot of it comes down to living somewhere vs. running a business. An Air BnB or a house that is rented 90% of the time and owner occupied 10% of the time isn't really a residence, it is a business.

From zombie balls to zombie homes.  Interesting topics both, keep it up.

In the UK, ground rent to place a mooring is not expensive, but getting the permit can be time-consuming and tiresome, so I guess most vacant moorings are placeholders for future / prospective boats.  Also, an absentee owners mooring can take 10 years to get investigated and removed (big government at work), so some zombies are just that, abandoned due to death etc.

I am probably a bad one, but I often stay on random moorings, especially if they take up an otherwise good anchorage, but will always move promptly if asked.

I wouldn't guess many in Britain have placed moorings to keep boats away, but for me, the permit system should do more to protect traditional anchorages from being taken up entirely by moorings.