Caca Cabeza

Offshore Internet (asking for a friend)

I have a friend, (who is a distance learning teacher) that would really like to get a boat back from Mazatlan, MX to at least San Diego. Looking like MX might be opening up a bit.

Mt *friend* is wondering if there is a cost effective way to internet (because school is zoom or google meets) that could provide about 75Mbs/sec connection for ~7 hours a day. My friend is thinking maybe to "force multiply" and "multitask while providing amazing lessons of what the world offers.

I am pretty sure that my friend knows that it would be cheaper to charter a AN-124 than pay for the bandwidth, but you get my *friend's* idea.

Thoughts?

14 minutes ago, Caca Cabeza said:

Thoughts?

T-Mobile offers unlimited text and data from MX.

It can be spotty sometimes..

Unlimited spottiness. :)

Offshore? Pay for the sat link.

1 minute ago, justsomeguy! said:

T-Mobile offers unlimited text and data from MX.

It can be spotty sometimes..

My *friend* has T-Mobile. Because of his teaching responsibilities he has to have connectivity M-F from about 0800-1430.

1 minute ago, Caca Cabeza said:

My *friend* has T-Mobile. Because of his teaching responsibilities he has to have connectivity M-F from about 0800-1430.

Just edited my response.

Offshore...no.

1 minute ago, justsomeguy! said:

Just edited my response.

Offshore...no.

Thanks. In order for my friend to work from home... it would have to be reliable. at least as reliable as his school's interwebs (85%-ish). but the science curriculum could be money!

16 minutes ago, Caca Cabeza said:

Thanks. In order for my friend to work from home... it would have to be reliable. at least as reliable as his school's interwebs (85%-ish). but the science curriculum could be money!

Inmarsat. Bring $$$. Many many $$$.

FKT

So you, I mean your friend, is trying to teach and sail a boat?

I think the classes might be a bit rocky... 

Not practical, lots of reasons.  Even using super spendy  Immarsat video calling is ?? At best.  It's the Baja bash not a delivery to Fiji, give them a really longgggggggg essay.  However, text and email is very doable via iridium go. Initial equipment cost is a bit but unlimited plans are not spendy.  I would not plan on the trip till Dec.  It's going to be unpredictable for a while, I think the windows more or less closed for Carr and eastern Pac with any certainty.

All I ever hear, is that teachers are broke AF and barely earn any money.  I don't understand how your "friend" is going to afford SATCOM for hours per day to teach classes.

Many cruisers are thrilled just to have Iridium GO to download GRIBS every few days and that's just a small data file.

• Like 1

I don't think that a cellphone will be reliable unless you stay in a marina that has good bandwith with hotspots near the slip. What would be the data total per month? It seams like a lot and cellphone will not be reliable thus you will need a sat based wifi hotspot. It will be expensive, about $200 a week to rent a device that delivers 650 kbps. Then you will need to pay for the data plan, and assuming your using 5 GB of data per month, prepare to spend $3,500 a month.

11 hours ago, Caca Cabeza said:

a cost effective way to internet (because school is zoom or google meets) that could provide about 75Mbs/sec connection for ~7 hours a day.

75 Mbps is way more than you actually need.  It's unrealistic offshore at low cost.  My conventional wifi is 13 Mbps at the moment and rarely gets to 20 Mbps.
https://fast.com/

Here is the FCC Broadband Speed Guidehttps://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/broadband-speed-guide

Activity Minimum Download Speed (Mbps)
General Usage  
General Browsing and Email 1
Streaming Online Radio Less than 0.5
VoIP Calls Less than 0.5
Student 5 - 25
Telecommuting 5 - 25
File Downloading 10
Social Media 1
Watching Video  
Streaming Standard Definition Video 3 - 4
Streaming High Definition (HD) Video 5 - 8
Streaming Ultra HD 4K Video 25
Video Conferencing  
Standard Personal Video Call (e.g., Skype) 1
HD Personal Video Call (e.g., Skype) 1.5
HD Video Teleconferencing 6
Gaming  
Game Console Connecting to the Internet 3
Online Multiplayer 4
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Ajax said:

All I ever hear, is that teachers are broke AF and barely earn any money.  I don't understand how your "friend" is going to afford SATCOM for hours per day to teach classes.

Many cruisers are thrilled just to have Iridium GO to download GRIBS every few days and that's just a small data file.

For profit contractors been making bank by recording one class and vending it to thousands of kids and call it education. 

Most of the push to reopen schools have come from charter school/for profit schools that suddenly stopped pretending the kids are anything but Cash cows. 

12 hours ago, Caca Cabeza said:

Thoughts?

You have some funny friends?

Short answer, no. 

A friend went to BDA on another friends bigass Nordhavn. A few weeks later the owner gets his sat time bill, $8 grand for 3-4 days. Freaks, starts talking about the guest chipping in. Comes to find out it was the owners son downloading movies over an inmarsat connection. 

No. Coastal Baja also has very spotty 3G with Telcel. super limited coverage

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ProaSailor said:

75 Mbps is way more than you actually need.  It's unrealistic offshore at low cost.  My conventional wifi is 13 Mbps at the moment and rarely gets to 20 Mbps.

Here is the FCC Broadband Speed Guidehttps://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/broadband-speed-guide

General Usage  
VoIP Calls Less than 0.5
Student 5 - 25
Telecommuting 5 - 25
File Downloading 10
Social Media 1
Watching Video  
Video Conferencing  
Gaming  
Online Multiplayer 4

Proa is spot on here. 6mbs will be plenty for zoom or anything teaching, just have short waits for bigger downloads, but video conferencing will work wonderful.

75mbs is a ridiculous amount of bandwidth at sea. Oh, you can get it. But 'affordable' is no part of that equation. 

even to get 6mbs the initial investment of equipment will kick this out of the affordable range, even though the monthly data cost may not be too bad, depending.

None of it will be 100% reliable though, so hard to schedule classes.

I guess we should mention the SpaceX Starlink satellite system, which promises global broadband access:

HIGH SPEED INTERNET ACCESS ACROSS THE GLOBEhttps://www.starlink.com/

The idea is brilliant except for one thing - interference with night sky viewing of stars, comets, etc.!  That part really sucks.

Starlink is working on ensuring that their sats do not reflect in the sky....  Unfortunately, I have yet to get any info on the 'self adjusting' ground station.....  and am worried that it is adjusting when on terra firma, as opposed to the rolling seas.

ViaSat has a dome... they are trialing it with some people (sv delos is one of the fortunate beta testers) and connection appears to be super, speed is fantastic... and price is unknown....

A good (in my opinion) writeup (not affiliated with these guys) on internet access is here: https://www.sea-tech.com/2020/03/31/how-do-i-get-high-speed-internet-on-my-boat/

in the summary re ViaSat (although they talk about many different options)

Okay, if you have a 50ft boat or larger, especially a catamaran, are willing to invest about $25K or so into communications hardware and commit to at least $500/month in service fees, you can get nearly global, unlimited, web browsing from your boat.  If you need video streaming, multi-user Skype video teleconferencing, etc then be prepared to spend closer to $3000/Month. If you don’t have the upfront capital to invest, you can also lease hardware as part of your airtime plan as an option.

Best of luck..

• Like 1

Having spent many years on ships with super spendy sat comms, what they won't tell you is money talks on connectivity.  Most sat space is leased and if you are Carnival or something similar you get what you want.  For the rest you can end up paying alot of money with intermittent or crap service if there are bigger fish gobbling up bandwidth at the same time.

3 minutes ago, SASSAFRASS said:

Having spent many years on ships with super spendy sat comms, what they won't tell you is money talks on connectivity.  Most sat space is leased and if you are Carnival or something similar you get what you want.  For the rest you can end up paying alot of money with intermittent or crap service if there are bigger fish gobbling up bandwidth at the same time.

That’s super helpful.  Never read that anywhere!

Copy and paste this to your employer:

“Dear Headmaster, 

On Friday afternoon i was caused to aid the rescue of an elderly neighbours only cat and her newly born 9kittens from a fire. You will be glad to hear that all 9 fluffy little souls survived and are recovering well at the vets. I on the otherhand sustained burns to my hands, groin and throat(due to smoke inhalation and the repeat efforts  needed to save the poor creatures) i therefore request leave effective immediately(8weeks) to heal my groin, hands and regain my voice.

I hope you and your family and pets are safe and well, 

please pass on my apologies to my students.

yours sincerely, Blah blah”

#upon returning from your sail any sunburn will be understandable, but for effect i recomend shaving 1.5 eyebrows off. #

(cheaper than Sat comms+ data)

Your welcome, good luck. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, h20man said:

Unfortunately, I have yet to get any info on the 'self adjusting' ground station.....  and am worried that it is adjusting when on terra firma, as opposed to the rolling seas.

Excellent point.  No mention of cost in this article:

SpaceX Starlink speeds revealed as beta users get downloads of 11 to 60Mbps
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/08/spacex-starlink-beta-tests-show-speeds-up-to-60mbps-latency-as-low-as-31ms/

A SpaceX Starlink user terminal, also known as a satellite dish, seen against a city's skyline.

A SpaceX Starlink user terminal/satellite dish.

Beta users of SpaceX's Starlink satellite-broadband service are getting download speeds ranging from 11Mbps to 60Mbps, according to tests conducted using Ookla's speedtest.net tool. Speed tests showed upload speeds ranging from 5Mbps to 18Mbps.

The same tests, conducted over the past two weeks, showed latencies or ping rates ranging from 31ms to 94ms.
[...]
A new Reddit post listing more speed tests shows some Starlink users getting even lower latency of 21ms and 20ms.

Details on SpaceX Starlink beta emerge along with photos of user terminals
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/07/details-on-spacex-starlink-beta-emerge-along-with-photos-of-user-terminals/

The terminal's size is 0.48 meters (almost 19 inches), according to an FCC filing.

6 hours ago, FixinGit said:

Copy and paste this to your employer:

“Dear Headmaster, 

On Friday afternoon i was caused to aid the rescue of an elderly neighbours only cat and her newly born 9kittens from a fire. You will be glad to hear that all 9 fluffy little souls survived and are recovering well at the vets. I on the otherhand sustained burns to my hands, groin and throat(due to smoke inhalation and the repeat efforts  needed to save the poor creatures) i therefore request leave effective immediately(8weeks) to heal my groin, hands and regain my voice.

I hope you and your family and pets are safe and well, 

please pass on my apologies to my students.

yours sincerely, Blah blah”

#upon returning from your sail any sunburn will be understandable, but for effect i recomend shaving 1.5 eyebrows off. #

(cheaper than Sat comms+ data)

Your welcome, good luck. 

Wow.. what can I say...  Unlike a politician that can lie and claim they did not lie... I have always found it VITAL to ensure that the details match...  

So..

1) Elderly Neighbours only cat and her newly born 9 kittens... ( 10 feline souls, not counting 9 lives / soul of kittens, mother cat probably used some of them)

2) all 9 Fluffy little souls survived ...  ( ignoring Souls have no weight (experiments tried) so 'little' does not describe adequately...  and we should have ( 81 - 9(assuming they used one life to survive the fire) )  + n (n>1 for the mother cat)) = 72 + n > 9.   See  the math does not add up.

3) How do we know it is a headmaster.

a) who also  has a family?

b) who also has pets (other then a teachers pet.. but he is a headmaster....)?

--- so.. in summation: DO NOT COPY PASTE.... correct the details... 

;)

(sorry.. it has been a long week.. and ...  at least make this lie work for you..... :) )

4 hours ago, ProaSailor said:

Excellent point.  No mention of cost in this article:

SpaceX Starlink speeds revealed as beta users get downloads of 11 to 60Mbps
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/08/spacex-starlink-beta-tests-show-speeds-up-to-60mbps-latency-as-low-as-31ms/

A SpaceX Starlink user terminal, also known as a satellite dish, seen against a city's skyline.

A SpaceX Starlink user terminal/satellite dish.

I actually have been frothing at the mouth thinking of this.. and I have read the above articles...  Attempting to find a contact with whom to talk to regarding Marine applications..

There is a GREAT reddit group that is full of information and others who are into this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarlinkSailors/

I expect that within 3 years we shall have high speed connectivity on our boats....  at a reasonable price (less then $200/month) with no data caps.

Then we can participate in SA ALL THE TIME!...

or... earn $ for the boat... ;)

or have live views of where we are sailing and realtime chart info....

On 8/20/2020 at 11:55 PM, Caca Cabeza said:

I have a friend, (who is a distance learning teacher) that would really like to get a boat back from Mazatlan, MX to at least San Diego. Looking like MX might be opening up a bit.

Mt *friend* is wondering if there is a cost effective way to internet (because school is zoom or google meets) that could provide about 75Mbs/sec connection for ~7 hours a day. My friend is thinking maybe to "force multiply" and "multitask while providing amazing lessons of what the world offers.

I am pretty sure that my friend knows that it would be cheaper to charter a AN-124 than pay for the bandwidth, but you get my *friend's* idea.

Thoughts?

You want HOW much bandwidth?  Holy hell dude.  I have 5 people in my house, 3 kids who love the internet, and I'm lucky if I have a 10 Mb connection.  With my router set up to limit each individual connection to 3 Mb, no one has trouble streaming or anything else.

Why on earth do you need 75 Mb?

13 hours ago, h20man said:

I actually have been frothing at the mouth thinking of this.. and I have read the above articles...  Attempting to find a contact with whom to talk to regarding Marine applications..

There is a GREAT reddit group that is full of information and others who are into this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarlinkSailors/

I expect that within 3 years we shall have high speed connectivity on our boats....  at a reasonable price (less then $200/month) with no data caps.

Then we can participate in SA ALL THE TIME!...

or... earn $ for the boat... ;)

or have live views of where we are sailing and realtime chart info....

You think a small car payment monthly is reasonable for internet?  Whew.  We live in different worlds.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

You think a small car payment monthly is reasonable for internet?  Whew.  We live in different worlds.

If I can work.. anywhere in the world.... at a cost of $200/month remotely....  yet be anywhere I wish... Absolutely..  A commute in London is more then that for traveling to work 6 zones...  What would your insurance, car depreciation, and fuel cost be for your car in Los Angles?   If I can be on my boat sailing and generating income..... It would be worth it...  (to me)

That's about the cost of a family cell unlimited data plan. If it got to the point you had full vessel access anywhere it starts to pencil out for sure.  Thats taking into account the need for access for remote learning for kids and work related access for parents.

1 hour ago, Grrr... said:

Back in 1989 I looked at the possibility of working (programming) full time from Dominica.  It cost $0.45/minute or $27/hour.  I quickly gave up on that idea!  $200/month sounds cheap but Starlink hasn't announced any pricing plans yet, have they?  And doing it from a boat will require a special mount that keeps the antenna stable.

Wonder about the antenna, would think a stabilized gyro antenna would be required but maybe they have some new solid state thing that will work, would certainly drop the up front equipment cost by a huge amount.

Starlink have done tests with the American Air Force with planes . SpaceX has demonstrated data throughput of 610 megabits per second in flight to the cockpit of a U.S. military C-12 twin-engine turboprop aircraft.  The Air Force did pay $28 Million to test over the next three years different ways in which the military might use Starlink broadband services.

I suspect that the 'receiving terminals' are included at that price.

I hope that is not indicative of the cost of a terminal for normal people.. 

There is another 'air force times' article about tests and deployment.

I suspect that this shall rather quickly ( in 3 years at most ? )become real and cost effective. 

On 8/24/2020 at 10:01 AM, SASSAFRASS said:

And as the available bandwidth increases, cruise ships and airlines will buy all they can get, because they can re-sell it to passengers who are on the boat for a week.., or on the plane for a day, and are not that price sensitive.

this could effectively put a floor under the pricing - sailors will always be competing with the air/cruise passengers.

what would you pay to have high speed internet for the entire duration of your next 10hr flight?

for the OP - the sat providers currently price "streaming" service differently than even very-high bandwidth / very high data limit plans - it costs a lot more

On 8/25/2020 at 6:14 PM, SASSAFRASS said:

Wonder about the antenna, would think a stabilized gyro antenna would be required but maybe they have some new solid state thing that will work, would certainly drop the up front equipment cost by a huge amount.

I suspect that it can be DIYed with some time to experiment and some stuff bought from Hobbyking!

30 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

I suspect that it can be DIYed with some time to experiment and some stuff bought from Hobbyking!

Since there are so many it may not need the gyro, Immarsat for example you are targeting only one sat for a pretty huge area.  

Starlink and its competitors haven't satisfied the light pollution concerns of astronomers yet.

"The sky has changed": Astronomers say SpaceX satellites are interfering with their observations, AUGUST 27, 2020
https://www.salon.com/2020/08/27/the-sky-has-changed-astronomers-say-spacex-satellites-are-interfering-with-their-observations/

Anecdotally, astronomers have shared their fears over the last couple years, sometimes speaking out publicly, and a few reports have tried to quantify the impact. Now, an in-depth new report from a working group of astronomers released by the American Astronomical Society shows how these satellites could drastically change the scope of astronomy work conducted on Earth.:

Specifically, astronomers state that existing satellites, including the 538 satellites from SpaceX as well as future ones, will "fundamentally change the way astronomers can plan and execute observations." In other words, the field of astronomy is facing an existential threat. 

"With tens of thousands of LEO [satellites], no combination of mitigations can avoid the impacts of the satellite trails on the science programs of the coming generation of optical astronomy facilities," the report states. 

The authors warn that, even in this last year, "the sky has changed," as a "growing numbers of satellite trails contaminating astronomical images." The risk of contaminated data, they write, can be hard to predict and mitigate: "A bright satellite crossing near a long spectrograph slit . . . could ruin the entire exposure, as it is not known a priori which observations are contaminated, forcing a repeat exposure or possible loss of science opportunity." 

I love the idea in principle but am horrified at the prospect of cluttering the night sky.

On 8/24/2020 at 2:08 PM, h20man said:

Wow.. what can I say...  Unlike a politician that can lie and claim they did not lie... I have always found it VITAL to ensure that the details match...  

So..

1) Elderly Neighbours only cat and her newly born 9 kittens... ( 10 feline souls, not counting 9 lives / soul of kittens, mother cat probably used some of them)

2) all 9 Fluffy little souls survived ...  ( ignoring Souls have no weight (experiments tried) so 'little' does not describe adequately...  and we should have ( 81 - 9(assuming they used one life to survive the fire) )  + n (n>1 for the mother cat)) = 72 + n > 9.   See  the math does not add up.

3) How do we know it is a headmaster.

a) who also  has a family?

b) who also has pets (other then a teachers pet.. but he is a headmaster....)?

--- so.. in summation: DO NOT COPY PASTE.... correct the details... 

;)

(sorry.. it has been a long week.. and ...  at least make this lie work for you..... :) )

Nah, as soon as the read "groin area" I think they will quickly stop looking for details. 

4 hours ago, SASSAFRASS said:

Since there are so many it may not need the gyro, Immarsat for example you are targeting only one sat for a pretty huge area.  

Good point.

On 8/21/2020 at 4:43 AM, Ajax said:

They are underpaid by the standards of politicians and parents, so trying to do a force multiplier by getting some delivery dough and distance learning at the same time....

Also, how many jobs are there that require 5 years of college and start at ~$50K. Yeah we all know that they do (or should) know the landscape. It's not like an Ive League Art History degree, but. You get the drift.

On 8/21/2020 at 8:02 AM, ProaSailor said:

General Usage  
VoIP Calls Less than 0.5
Student 5 - 25
Telecommuting 5 - 25
File Downloading 10
Social Media 1
Watching Video  
Video Conferencing  
Gaming  
Online Multiplayer 4

I worked remotely for several years with only 6Mbps down and 1.5Mpbs up, including VPN, remote file storage, several hours per day on Zoom/Teams/BlueJeans/WebEx.

Only just upgraded to 15Mbps because my provider stopped providing the 6Mpbs plan.

Starlink looks promising from a marketing point of view, but from a global point of view it's a shit ton of space junk that pisses off astronomers, satellite operators, etc. We'll wait and see how it plays out, but I would bet it's Elon's first significant failure....and yes...I am a rocket scientist with 30 years of satellite systems engineering, integration & test, and on orbit operations experience. I also know a ton of astronomers and earth scientists who use satellite data. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Panoramix said:

Yeah good luck with that. I used to have a SeaSpace Corp setup on a ship I was responsible for, pulling data off of NOAA and DMSP birds. That gear could track from below the horizon to below the horizon. 450mm gimbaled dish with all axis drive motors.

You want bandwidth you need a tracking antenna. Then you need to protect it from the weather. Then you need a *substantial* mount to keep it stable. Then you add software.

Geostationary birds are a different thing, lot further out though so more power needed. IIRC the Fleet 77 system had a substantially bigger dish.

Been 12 years since I was responsible for any of this stuff so probably got a lot smaller by now. I do know that Iridium sucked for data throughput though.

FKT

The domes are alot smaller and the K-band speed much better, but for the big fast stuff it's still something you can crawl into. Not alot of fun when the gyro comes apart at sea.  The whole starlink thing really has the same build up feel as original Iridium.  Maybe a similar flop who knows.

6 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Yeah good luck with that. I used to have a SeaSpace Corp setup on a ship I was responsible for, pulling data off of NOAA and DMSP birds. That gear could track from below the horizon to below the horizon. 450mm gimbaled dish with all axis drive motors.

You want bandwidth you need a tracking antenna. Then you need to protect it from the weather. Then you need a *substantial* mount to keep it stable. Then you add software.

Geostationary birds are a different thing, lot further out though so more power needed. IIRC the Fleet 77 system had a substantially bigger dish.

Been 12 years since I was responsible for any of this stuff so probably got a lot smaller by now. I do know that Iridium sucked for data throughput though.

FKT

Some people have done amazing camera gimbals with boards that are meant to stabilize quadcopters and opensource software. It isn't for the faint of heart but I suspect doable with a bit of ingenuity and talent and a lot of spare time. Here is the starting point : https://code.google.com/archive/p/nextcopterplus/wikis/OpenAero2_CamStab_Setup_Part_1.wiki

Certainly not easy but the electronics you find nowadays in RC planes are simply amazing. You can gyro stabilise a small plane with a small board that costs next to nothing.

As much as it would be great to be able to get reasonable priced connectivity offshore, I would be cautious about hoping to use Starlink offshore for quite some time because offshore does not appear to be part of their initial business plan. From FCC documentation they are aiming:  "to provide low-latency broadband to unserved and underserved Americans that is on par with service previously only available in urban areas".

This means three items that are required for offshore use are almost certainly not in their early business plans: stabilised terminals,  the international ground stations to connect the signal from the satellite to the internet, and the capability to get the signal from the satellite you can see in the middle of the Atlantic to one that can see a ground station. The latter is often overlooked. Though the Starlink architecture is designed to support bouncing signals from satellite to satellite using laser light until it gets to one that can see a ground station, I believe that functionality is not enabled in the satellites that are currently being launched.

I'd recommend the old advice of "follow the money" - when they do go international, my guess is it will be to target large underserved terrestrial populations with an ability to pay. SpaceX/Musk has previously suggested that Starlink is just a way to generate cash to fund going to Mars. Of course that might change if someone can convince Musk to get interested in a large offshore yacht for his personal use that needs low latency internet connectivity! I suspect offshore cruisers are going to be stuck with Iridium as the best option for quite a while. Maybe coastal cruising areas like the Bahamas will be able to piggy back of a US centric solution a bit earlier.

There are millions and possibly billions in federal money for providing said service in the US.  My brother is involved in a small company battling uphill against this.  Most likely they will gobble alot of it up.  

In the case of ocean wide internet. 

https://www.intelliantech.com/?lang=en 

https://www.mobilsat.com/marine-satellite-internet-andTV/Marine-internet/SeaTel/ 

For your old school geo stationary birds situated around the equator you need a tracking antenna which includes the ACU antenna control unit. Then you need a modem and correct LNB for the antenna (which needs to be the right size Ku band is still pretty big and ugly for a sailboat.  For whatever service you plan to buy.  Don't forget you need to be in the service area  footprint of the service provider you buy. This is EXPENSIVE.  The service is EXPENSIVE. and the results are subpar.   Its not good enough for zoom on a consumer level budget nor ever will be. 600-1200ms latency at best because of the distance and physics.   Then you suddenly realize obstacles in the way of the antenna and the satellite ( your mast, sails possibly ) so then you could have pretty big cutouts especially at the higher latitudes.   

Starlink birds are not geostationary. Low earth orbit, flying around. and so have a better latency.    Have a world wide footprint, even in the oceans. It also don't need the expensive tracking antenna.  

Starlink is what I would bet on for halfway affordable global internet other than Iridium GO which is lets face it, too slow for today's standards. 

Good Luck ! ! ! !