NaptimeAgain

Annapolis Boat Shows Cancelled

A lot of new boat sales are strategically marketed to be opportunity to get away from people - the “new thing now” is the boat agent camera phone tour. 

5 hours ago, Miffy said:

A lot of new boat sales are strategically marketed to be opportunity to get away from people - the “new thing now” is the boat agent camera phone tour. 

The hell do you learn about a boat from a phone tour? Looking at YachtWorld tells you as much. I have been talking to brokers recently and the first question is can I see this boat in person. If not, next

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NaptimeAgain said:

https://www.capitalgazette.com/maryland/annapolis/ac-cn-annapolis-boat-shows-canceled-20200821-20200820-ys7zp5pywvcztfn256gkybyiky-story.html

I guess we locals will get to see what City Dock looks actually.like in October.  Not a surprise, really.

They (the city) did it unilaterally without even talking to the boat show organizers. They had an extensive plan in place. There had been previous conversations about what changes can and should be made. This happened abruptly and with no discussion or negotiation. They were just “told.”

16 minutes ago, Alaris said:

The hell do you learn about a boat from a phone tour? Looking at YachtWorld tells you as much. I have been talking to brokers recently and the first question is can I see this boat in person. If not, next

Brokers can do this you ask them to. Open this. Stand on that. Rotate. Estimate height. 

10 hours ago, Alaris said:

They (the city) did it unilaterally without even talking to the boat show organizers. They had an extensive plan in place. There had been previous conversations about what changes can and should be made. This happened abruptly and with no discussion or negotiation. They were just “told.”

I wonder what the plan was though.  It seems like it would be really tough to make it covid safe (how would the tents work?) and still draw similar revenue.  If it can't draw the revenue because of safety, and poses a significant health risk, then what's the point?  I can relate to the city closing it, but still was hoping to go this year.  Hopefully 2021 will be better.

I think it was a necessary action unfortunately. As much as we like the show it is not an essential thing.

How we get our money back for the pre-paid tickets?

2 hours ago, Salona said:

How we get our money back for the pre-paid tickets?

You are pre paid for next year. Lucky

Don't know about the power side, but on the sail side, a number of major exhibitors had decided not to go to Annapolis this year. 

This may have also affected their decision.

Per the news story the organizers complained the city met with them only twice.  Personally I'm not seeing 2 meetings as a deficient engagement, especially when the underlying medical issues are not going to change by talking about them.  While the boats themselves might permit some social isolation, the tents and the shuttle busses really don't seem to support that, based on my own experiences at past shows.  Plus the crowd at the bars would pose additional risks.

• Like 1

I have been wanting to attend the Annapolis boat show for years.

Each year something prevents me from making the trip. 

I guess I already know what that is this year. Bummer

5 hours ago, NaptimeAgain said:

Per the news story the organizers complained the city met with them only twice.  Personally I'm not seeing 2 meetings as a deficient engagement, especially when the underlying medical issues are not going to change by talking about them.  While the boats themselves might permit some social isolation, the tents and the shuttle busses really don't seem to support that, based on my own experiences at past shows.  Plus the crowd at the bars would pose additional risks.

Bars, docks, tents, people traveling from all over. No way to do it currently. Add in the tools that go to the power boat shows and it’s even worse. Just because people are tired of doing the right things, doesn’t mean people should give them the opportunity to do the wrong thing openly.

On 8/21/2020 at 8:45 PM, Alaris said:

There's a lot of unilateral bullshit with COVID

In Connecticut, towns are demanding I.D. even from walkers to go onto town beaches. "Sorry, only residents allowed." Trouble is, that is unequivocally unconstitutional in CT Constitutional law..."sue us" is the fucking reaction.

No. It is NOT only Trump who is a fucking lawless prick...

Scratch a Liberal and find a Bleeding Fascist.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

Scratch a Liberal and find a Bleeding Fascist.

Among the more popular lies of the Reich - 

"The Left Is Actually Right!" 

Bull-pucky Dude 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

Among the more popular lies of the Reich - 

"The Left Is Actually Right!" 

Bull-pucky Dude 

LOL. That's not the point at all. Try again. :-)

October is generally good weather around here, though the sailboat show often had a lot of rain.  The summer tourists are gone by then and it's not cold and dreary yet.  Looking forward to just sitting with a cup of coffee, maybe Sunday breakfast at Cafe Normandie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fastyacht said:

LOL. That's not the point at all. Try again. :-)

It's not the point ? Well, you did write it after all . . 

"Scratch a Liberal and find a Bleeding Fascist." 

Which is, of course, a lie. 

41 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

It's not the point ? Well, you did write it after all . . 

"Scratch a Liberal and find a Bleeding Fascist." 

Which is, of course, a lie. 

Old 1980s British expression.

Lost in translation.

So more to thevpoint. Iscit ok for liberal minded wealthy townscto utterlyvdiregard state constitutionalclaw? On covid pretext?

Methinks NOT

• Like 1

The Annapolis Capital has has several articles and opinions regarding the economic impact. We are not cancelling the 2018 show. This is 2020 where large percentage of people will not travel, displays will be down and more locals will stay away than attend. I wonder if the show owners would have lost money had the show happened?  One thing certain the economic impact would be 1/3 of previous years at best.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fastyacht said:

Old 1980s British expression.

Lost in translation.

So more to thevpoint. Iscit ok for liberal minded wealthy townscto utterlyvdiregard state constitutionalclaw? On covid pretext?

Methinks NOT

Well, that is not very lucid at all . . 

But just let me say this . . 

Scratch a neoliberal and a fascist bleeds - Imgur

1 hour ago, Greyhound37 said:

The Annapolis Capital has has several articles and opinions regarding the economic impact. We are not cancelling the 2018 show. This is 2020 where large percentage of people will not travel, displays will be down and more locals will stay away than attend. I wonder if the show owners would have lost money had the show happened?  One thing certain the economic impact would be 1/3 of previous years at best.

Besides for all that, the more we spread the virus around now because "you can't make me, you're not the boss of me", the more likely the 2021 show is to be cancelled along with possibly your life.

How do you social distance on a 40' boat or walk the docks?

This is a surprise announcement?

If you want to go to a boat show during covid I suspect you're followup trip is a cruise?

In New England many of the major sail brands are having mini boat shows.  They each have the models they ordered for the show and they are going to join up and invite their customers out to tour the boats.  Without the large crowds, it should be a safe option for people.

We went to a series of shows last year including Annapolis.  We have narrowed the list but are now unable to travel internationally to, sail our short list, visit factories/yards, and move the process forward.  

The cancellation of these events would appear to have tons of downstream economic implications and I wonder what The industry will look like in a few years?   Will small manufacturers bridge the intervening period from when they show their goods again to when the next series of orders hit their books?

2 hours ago, Epi-sailor said:

We went to a series of shows last year including Annapolis.  We have narrowed the list but are now unable to travel internationally to, sail our short list, visit factories/yards, and move the process forward.  

The cancellation of these events would appear to have tons of downstream economic implications and I wonder what The industry will look like in a few years?   Will small manufacturers bridge the intervening period from when they show their goods again to when the next series of orders hit their books?

Are you assuming the lack of boat shows equals less sales? No so. The industry's need for shows is less and less. The boat shows are profit generating social events. 

20 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

In New England many of the major sail brands are having mini boat shows.  They each have the models they ordered for the show and they are going to join up and invite their customers out to tour the boats.  Without the large crowds, it should be a safe option for people.

Well, this sounds interesting.  Do you have any info on any of these mini-shows?

12 minutes ago, Hukilau said:

Well, this sounds interesting.  Do you have any info on any of these mini-shows?

You would need to contact one of your local reps for a brand you are interested in.  For example, I know that in Newport, RI,  Beneteau, Jeaneau, Hanse, Dehler, and Moody are joining together to do an informal show.  I know that New Wave Yachts is part of that, for example.

15 minutes ago, Hukilau said:

This is exactly whats happening in Newport as well.

On 8/23/2020 at 9:06 AM, NaptimeAgain said:

October is generally good weather around here, though the sailboat show often had a lot of rain.  The summer tourists are gone by then and it's not cold and dreary yet.  Looking forward to just sitting with a cup of coffee, maybe Sunday breakfast at Cafe Normandie.

I don't know about you but I really miss the post race drinks and a burger at AYC, or the EYC lawn or catching up with other skippers at Davis or Boatyard, or Fleet Reserve or wherever else we bums slip into.  50% empty Annapolis is okay but I miss my friends.  We've been doing boat beers on Wednesday nights but it's not the same.  Better than nothing, so I try to be grateful, and lord knows the parking is better than it's been in my lifetime.  But still.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Greyhound37 said:

Are you assuming the lack of boat shows equals less sales? No so. The industry's need for shows is less and less. The boat shows are profit generating social events. 

Agree to all your thoughts.  And goodness knows we have utilized other resources to  inform our thoughts.  In our case the shows have been an EASY way to touch and feel the product as well as discover smaller brands we would not have been exposed to in other formats (internet).  For us they have been very helpful so I guess I’m just projecting my experience onto a more global condition :)

If you can be legally required to cover your d!ck in public you can be required to cover your mouth and nose.  Especially if your cough/sneeze/breath poses more public risk than the sight of your junk. :D

We attended every few years, either the sail or power show since we had both.  At some point it seemed mostly "same old same old" from year to year, unless we were shopping for a boat that didn't have a local/regional sales rep.  We did get our (now sold) Andrews at the 2009 show, otherwise just free key floats and a pain killer.  Would pick up a few key floats most years.

1 hour ago, NaptimeAgain said:

If you can be legally required to cover your d!ck in public you can be required to cover your mouth and nose.  

Easy for you to say, not having one.