woodpecker

What to use on a teak deck?

I have a teak and thiokol floor in my cockpit. What is the best approach to sand and put finish on it?
It is only exposed to the weather when using the boat and is under cover when not using it.
I assume clean, sand and finish with oil. Anybody got a tried and true technique and products they use?
I do not want to leave it natural to weather.

Cleaning and letting grey is the only tried and true long term.  Alternately you can clean sand and use teak oil, but you have to maintain, covered it's not to bad. Very simple don't use any acids or wonder cleaners just sand to uniform and put alot of oil on with a rag, careful not to get on anything else as it will leave a film. Oil regularly after.

The most experienced sailors I have known all agreed that the best teak deck treatment was to regularly sluice it down with sea water.

Cheap & easy too

And don't scrub with the grain - always cross grain.

9 hours ago, woodpecker said:

I have a teak and thiokol floor in my cockpit. What is the best approach to sand and put finish on it?
It is only exposed to the weather when using the boat and is under cover when not using it.
I assume clean, sand and finish with oil. Anybody got a tried and true technique and products they use?

I have found that a gallon of gas and a match solves most maintenance problems

5 hours ago, toad said:

I have found that a gallon of gas and a match solves most maintenance problems

That was slightly amusing the first time it was told.

On 8/21/2020 at 7:11 PM, woodpecker said:

If I had any teak decking I would use Defy Ultimate finish on it.  It's a water based finish you apply wet over wet and it lasts.  And it leaves the surface grippy. 

I put this stuff on an ipe bench that sat in the Florida sun for 4 years before I had to refinish it.  Then I sanded it back a little less than a year ago and it still looks new.  It's made for wood decks but I've used it on cedar trim, too.   

• Like 1

Our Sweden 42 has teak decks - was the biggest downside of the boat, in my view. The previous owner had a strong love of Semco and similar products. All, and I do mean all, of the caulking failed as we were buying the boat. It all turned into greasy chewing gum and left permanent stains on clothes. Super annoying. PO was replacing sections of it himself when we bought it. It's a tedious process to reef it all out and replace it.

We had Marty Munch of Osmotech in Annapolis replace all the caulking, give it a light sand and will never touch it with chemicals again. Highly recommend him and his team.

In researching maintaining them, I saw a quote that teak should never be treated with something you wouldn't put on your face. Seems like great wisdom. We gently spray it down, give it a quick scrub across the grain with a large car washing sponge and let it be. 

The only downside is being recently sanded, it's a little slippery when dry and barefoot.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2020 at 7:11 PM, woodpecker said:

Yah .. use a sealer , it greatly prolongs the service life of the deck 

light sand , clean... then seal 

Light sand ,,teak doesn’t need much sanding , what your are trying to do is flatten the cauliking down to teak deck level 

once level... clean the teak with  2 part teak cleaner , scotch bright  , scrubbing brush  and plenty of water 

plenty of water ... any soap left in the wood grain with cause the teak to mildew 

Type of sealer is your choice 

the pictured deck is 25 years old and always sealed with teak wonder 

reseal 2 or 3 times per year 

more and more folks are skipping conventional teak sealer and using a nano particle teak-deck  sealer 

google it .. nano teak deck sealer ..several brands around 

I’ve not used it but have heard good reviews from those who do 

1C7164D5-976A-4CF7-B26F-342A7CB90A4F.jpeg

F80EAEEE-E8FF-420E-9261-8773F76FB34A.jpeg

8B45944C-99D4-4F91-B2F3-CA9CCC94AEC6.jpeg

• Like 3

If it is just the cockpit sole, Check out Owatrol Deks Olje.  We did it 30 yrs ago on the mariner.  Prob redid 4-5 times in that time.  We did the 2 part, ymmv.  Would not do this on the entire deck BTW, too slippery, but on the sole, it works a treat and 0 maint.   

• Like 1

^^^  I like Deks Olje for trim that I would usually varnish, but I wouldn't use it on a deck or a cockpit sole. It basically is varnish, but softer, so it isn't as slippery. I did "varnish" with it around the very edge of a bare teak cockpit, and it looked great.

Sealers are worth using in cockpits where they slow the soiling from dirty feet, oily food, sunscreen, etc. For the rest of the deck I don't think I'd bother.

On 8/24/2020 at 10:10 AM, slug zitski said:

the pictured deck is 25 years old and always sealed with teak wonder 

that is a really beautiful deck at 25 years....

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, EvaOdland said:

ain't it just .

4 hours ago, EvaOdland said:

Agreed, but apparently that product makes dead bait fish grow between your toes. (I bet his boots smell awesome.)

I thought that was the product being applied.