Sign in to follow this  
Mid

the Guitar That Killed Folk!

• Like 2

Bloomfield was one of my first guitar heroes, and I played with his drummer from the early 70s until the end - the amazing Bob Jones - for years before he too passed on. We even recorded a tribute album called Michael and Me. Man did Bob have some stories!

• Like 2

• Like 1

When I was a kid, I learned Michael Bloomfield and Friends Live at the Fillmore note for note. Bob was the drummer on that album - so when he moved to Maui in the early 2000s to restore his grandmother's house (he'd grown up on Oahu before moving to Cali in the 60s to join We Five), and a radio programmer/personality (Barry Shannon, also rip) who knew I was a Bloomfield fan hooked us up, it was like we'd played together our entire lives. Blues on the West Side was amazing to record - that's Nick Gravenites on second vocal, and Mark Naftalin on keys, with me playing the front guitar. Recording that album was one of the magical experiences of my life.

• Like 5

that does it , i need to chase a copy down now :)

• Like 1

Some great players on that record - Jimi Bott from the Fabulous T-birds plays drums on about half of it, John Zangrando on sax. It was all recorded live in the studio old school style, mostly first take with a few overdubs here and there. I played a couple old Les Pauls and a '56 tele - Bob took the lead on Do Me with his '53 blackguard tele and just killed. The studio where we recorded on Maui (A'ala) probably has some if you can't find it and are really interested.

• Like 2

Is the Live at the Fillmore you're talking about The Live Adventures Of Mike Bloomfield & Al Kooper with the Norman Rockwell cover?

Columbia Record Club, I played it on a real crummy player and now it is low on the record grading scale.  Didn't get a good turntable until Nixon's income tax rebate.

5 hours ago, Fat Point Jack said:

Is the Live at the Fillmore you're talking about The Live Adventures Of Mike Bloomfield & Al Kooper with the Norman Rockwell cover?

Columbia Record Club, I played it on a real crummy player and now it is low on the record grading scale.  Didn't get a good turntable until Nixon's income tax rebate.

This one - Michael at the top of his game before the heroin erosion began in earnest:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ancientseawolf said:

indeed I would think a solid body guitar would be better to kill folk

Joke_Guitar-Assault.jpg.988bb4c31369d49d1b17738081773999.jpg

• Like 2

Stupendously good tracks.  Thanks for posting. 

Nice work Surfsailor.  Must have been a great buzz playing with those guys.

Some of my favourite Bloomfield playing is on the Electric Flag album. The last good stuff before smack wrecked him. I recall a story that a few hours after he died two of the horn players were trying to sell his Fender Twin for drug money.

1 hour ago, Happy said:

Nice work Surfsailor.  Must have been a great buzz playing with those guys.

Some of my favourite Bloomfield playing is on the Electric Flag album. The last good stuff before smack wrecked him. I recall a story that a few hours after he died two of the horn players were trying to sell his Fender Twin for drug money.

It was such a privilege. It's funny - I hadn't listened to that album since forever (I basically never listen to my own stuff) but this thread made me go back just because I miss Bob so much and I gotta say it - that's a fucking great record even with me on it!

The amazing thing about Bloomfield was that he could pull it out right up to the end - not every night, but every now and then just nail it, like he'd traveled back in time to the Fillmore circa '68. Michael's If You Love These Blues, Play Em As You Please that he recorded with Guitar Magazine in '76 is very worth having.

Roy Buchanan was another one who - even 90% of the way down the rabbit hole of madness and substance abuse - could still show up on occasion. I had the incredible fortune to be dragged to some of his shows on the Jersey shore as a teenager, when he was at the top of his game. Definitely changed my life LOL

One of my favorite cuts from the Bob Jones album is Minglewood - it's an old blues from the 20s that the Dead played in the 60s, and then Michael - knowing that he was a huge influence on Garcia (who based his whole guitar style on Bloomfields' East West) - started covering it in the 70s with Bob on drums, kind of closing the circle. I think it's the last legit studio track I recorded on my '56 Tele before I sold it for stupid money:

And then Jimi Bott just murdering the drums on Lollipop Mama:

• Like 1

mb.jpg.9099c30922bf28bbfd51e2492a7d841a.jpg

'...the whole idea is that if you turn your amp up to 10, you should still be able to play at a whisper - you've got to learn to control your hands.''

Mike Bloomfield

Michael's If You Love These Blues, Play Em As You Please that he recorded with Guitar Magazine in '76 is very worth having.

Simply Brilliant