Sign in to follow this  
o30_oldschool

CORK Kingston 1972 Video

Sailed a Fireball at Cork and have this poster in the den hanging right side up. Sorry about the flip.. I think the skipper in the poster is Bill Shore if I remember correctly.  Measured sails in a drained hockey rink. IMG_0025.thumb.JPG.18d3e1cb4d9b401edb2214e48bee96c9.JPG

Don't see me in it. There were only about five seconds showing a Soling. They're right about the wind, though. The Solings were on one of the outer circles, at least 10 miles from the harbor. After racing one day we set the spinnaker and planed - not surfed, planed - the whole way in. The three of us were huddled at the aft end of the cockpit to keep the bow from submarining into the waves we kept catching up to. 

Some days I feel like the guy at 4:26, but I was only 8 weeks old for Cork 1972.

What a great video - never seen it before, but great that no matter how much things change they stay the same.

Except for the courses!  Wow PaulK that outer circle was halfway to Main Duck on the chart!!!

• Like 1

Brings back memories, age 16 crewing on a 14.  Think we were the youngest and lightest crew in the fleet of about 70.  Survived and learned a lot, think we even got through the week without a capsize!  I think Dennis Clark from Seattle cleaned house that year.

• Like 1

Went there twice on two different boats. Wild scene with Tornados giving promotional rides across the grain depot harbor after the racing having to tack it seems like every 30 seconds as the concrete walls approached.  Went out to dinner one night out with Russian Olympic team members from Tallinn... Vodka, anyone?  Our tent got blown over and rained on.  The "chop" was 5' high, so beating, half the boat was out of the wave all the time.  With droop hiking no-one could see much. One Soling got holed (P/S) and went down in 60' of water in about 30 seconds.  

At 1:26 and 1:45 there's shots of KYC's inner basin, my parents' T22 and my stepdad's 30' sedan cruiser can be seen in the background.

At 2:24 and 4:36 my best friend's family's Chrysler knockoff of a Boston Whaler can be seen providing assistance with my sister onboard.

For those who know Kingston, the cool thing about the early CORK years is the entire event was hosted out of KYC with support from Lake Ontario Park, RMC, Grain Elevator Bay, and other waterfront sites.  Portsmouth Harbour was still a cesspool of weeds and dilapidated boathouses (but yep, the Portsmouth Tavern was there too!).

Virtually all members and boats at KYC were conscripted to assist in one way or another to create the racing opportunities leading up to the 76 Olympics.

Good memories, even though I was only 10 at the time...

Cheers!

• Like 1

Great turnout of Fireballs & OKs...! Interdominion racing used to big, but then again, so did sailing! 

53 minutes ago, PaulK said:

Went there twice on two different boats. Wild scene with Tornados giving promotional rides across the grain depot harbor after the racing having to tack it seems like every 30 seconds as the concrete walls approached.  Went out to dinner one night out with Russian Olympic team members from Tallinn... Vodka, anyone?  Our tent got blown over and rained on.  The "chop" was 5' high, so beating, half the boat was out of the wave all the time.  With droop hiking no-one could see much. One Soling got holed (P/S) and went down in 60' of water in about 30 seconds.  

Not much time to get out of the hobbles.

Hobbles weren't in widespread use back then.  We had hiking straps. You'd hope the skipper tacked before you lost feeling in your feet..

That's gold. Thanks for posting o30. I hadn't seen this. 

I enjoyed some the best (and worst) sailing of my life there in the eighties out of Portsmouth and still go to help out.

-120 boats on the same line for the same start sequence (before gold and silver fleets were invented). Fuck that was fun.

-Olympic triangle courses. I miss those reaching legs.

-Line squalls, watching the J/24 fleet upwind of us get flattened, then going as fast as I ever have in a sailboat over flat water (for the 2 minutes that lasted)

-Forgetting to put the stern plug in, missing a race

-T-boning another boat because crew missed the trap hook on the tack to duck the boat next to us. Hole in the bow on the last day. Regatta over.

-The 1976 van with the best stereo system in the harbour. The van was totally unreliable. The stereo always worked.

-The parties. Let's just leave it at that.

Others got stories?

CORK banquet sitting with the South African fireball sailers when the guest Olympic committee speaker announced the boycott of the South African Team. We all wet our fingers and rimmed the wine glasses drowning him out. That many wine glasses makes a bunch of noise. Maybe that's why my ears ring!

Camping next to the fence surrounding the asylum. Some days I wondered which side had the normal people. First taste of real Guinness extra stout dark beer and the weird way they sold booze there. Spilled a bottle and the dark stain never went away. 

I was there, not sailing, and remember mostly the ten cent draft beer and the bars full of pretty girls, I had hair then.

What would it take to get 600 boats in one regatta today?

Was only 2 at the time but went with my parents in the late 70s and sailed it as a teenager in the 80s great regatta

On 8/25/2020 at 9:22 AM, Proneshooter said:

Sailed a Fireball at Cork and have this poster in the den hanging right side up. Sorry about the flip.. I think the skipper in the poster is Bill Shore if I remember correctly.  Measured sails in a drained hockey rink. IMG_0025.thumb.JPG.18d3e1cb4d9b401edb2214e48bee96c9.JPG

Image as it is shown is pretty representational of several of the events in the 80s and 90s when the I-14s has their worlds... remember 1991 being pretty windy,, blowing 30,  100+ JR lasers, 40 Tornados , 25 FDs , 30+ Finns entering the harbor at the same time , terrifying.... Bottle rockets being fired between dorm buildings , girls running naked through the quad....