Sign in to follow this  
Albatros

Won't buff out but out of environment

Looks like most of the fuel/oil burned off so thats a plus?

Would like to know the cause of fire for educational reasons... Another Lithium battery bank gone wrong?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Irrational 14 said:

Would like to know the cause of fire for educational reasons... Another Lithium battery bank gone wrong?

more like bank account was empty

• Like 5

A lot of carbon pollution over time vs a lot of carbon pollution all at once so *shrug*

Still trying to figure out how to make a flood happen

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Irrational 14 said:

would like to know too, but on the battery bank ... boats of this size have automatic fire extinguishing in the motor/battery area, have seen the result of this on a 56 feet Fairline stinkpot, batteries went smoking, fire extinguishers went off and all of yacht covered in soot. So if the battery bank was the one that triggered it some other things must have gone wrong too, and on the yacht where I saw it, nobody was on board, here there were in total 17 people of which at least a couple in charge.

That's not the boat they arrested Bannon on is it?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

more like bank account was empty

A hot renovation project? 

Nice to get a heads up that the repo man is on his way.

Or the judge is gonna give it to the ex in her settlement.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Albatros said:

would like to know too, but on the battery bank ... boats of this size have automatic fire extinguishing in the motor/battery area, have seen the result of this on a 56 feet Fairline stinkpot, batteries went smoking, fire extinguishers went off and all of yacht covered in soot. So if the battery bank was the one that triggered it some other things must have gone wrong too, and on the yacht where I saw it, nobody was on board, here there were in total 17 people of which at least a couple in charge.

The rules for fire suppression are entirely inadequate to *extinguish* a lithium ion fire from a significant bank.

2 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

The rules for fire suppression are entirely inadequate to *extinguish* a lithium ion fire from a significant bank.

Well, as I'm not a rules boffin and the example I gave was indeed a traditional battery bank, you are probably right. What intrigues me on that LiIon thing is that I do have quite a background in the start of that technology and the problems that were seen, think about camcorders and audio stuff in the 90's who were the first to use LiIon, we did have a number of "hot" cases but there were solutions, we loaded the LiIon batteries with electronic and heat control and it worked. Now I'm totally out of that business, so what do I know ? but find it odd that some decades later the same shit still happens.

Anyhow, looking at the footage, if you look at first seconds you see the fire is down below midships, that's where I reckon the galley would be, motor compartment typically more to the back, but then also, depends on the design, could be totally wrong. but my first reaction was like "hey, you should have turned that deep frying pan down after frying these chips !"

• Like 1

I used to work on a tug that looked a little like that when the engines were fired up cold.

Reminder that all boat fires go out at the waterline. No matter where that waterline ends up being!

WL

Chef: I’ll give you “steak well done” you heathen!