Telstar 28: https://www.sailmagazine.com/boats/telstar-28

The Telstar 28 can sail at 15 knots without scaring the helmsman or the crew.

If you've been sailing monos, the Telstar 28 will seem fast, but it is not a performance tri, it is heavy.  The 40-horse option on a 28-foot tri makes this the MacGregor 26 of multihulls, IMHO.  NTTAWWT.  I've had a nice day-sail on a MacGregor 26, but I would not want to own one. 

Edited to add: We looked at various tris, and found a Corsair F-31 that was within our budget.  The F-27 and other Farriers and Corsairs are also great boats if you can find one in your price range.  Good luck

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bacq2bacq said:

Telstar 28: https://www.sailmagazine.com/boats/telstar-28

If you've been sailing monos, the Telstar 28 will seem fast, but it is not a performance tri, it is heavy.  The 40-horse option on a 28-foot tri makes this the MacGregor 26 of multihulls, IMHO.  NTTAWWT.  I've had a nice day-sail on a MacGregor 26, but I would not want to own one. 

Edited to add: We looked at various tris, and found a Corsair F-31 that was within our budget.  The F-27 and other Farriers and Corsairs are also great boats if you can find one in your price range.  Good luck

thanks for the info, 

Multihull tests in sailing magazines should always come with 1000 lbs of sand bags to simulate some sort of load. Then the customer might get the speeds the review says.

On 8/30/2020 at 12:56 PM, Not for nothing said:

any body have info on the telestar 28 tri,

good/bad 

speed

Don’t do it; many better options in the trimaran space. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Wess said:

Don’t do it; many better options in the trimaran space. 

Leaning more to a Corsair / Dragon fly, if I had the $$$$$ I'd go a Rapido or Neels for live aboard

Thanks for input

• Like 1

Is Steve Marsh still at The Finish Line in Stuart? Get him to set you up with a Corsair of your choice. 

23 hours ago, Not for nothing said:

Leaning more to a Corsair / Dragon fly, if I had the $$$$$ I'd go a Rapido or Neels for live aboard

Thanks for input

Corsair or Rapido much more than most Dragonflys if you love sailing. Stay away from Neel and Telstar. Farrier has some great designs but the company was sold after his death and seem to be essentially dead. But a good used Farrier that was professionally (not home) built would be good too. And yes Steve is still at Finish Line to the other poster.

44 minutes ago, Wess said:

Corsair or Rapido much more than most Dragonflys if you love sailing. Stay away from Neel and Telstar. Farrier has some great designs but the company was sold after his death and seem to be essentially dead. But a good used Farrier that was professionally (not home) built would be good too. And yes Steve is still at Finish Line to the other poster.

thanks for the input, I currently live about a mile from Finnish Line , and talk to Steve a few times, he's got a few corsairs 27 I may be interested in, Would love to take one out for a test sail,

I raced a Olson 30 , J-30 and j-37 , Won ALIR on the 37, Then tried a Gemini 105, didn't impress me so I figure it's  time to go to a boat with training wheels , 

By the way did you know Chuck Carnes, an avid tri sailor , Hooked up with him  with the sea scouts down here , as they used my J-37 for the kids,  Well he sailing to distance shores this spring, He'll be missed!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Not for nothing said:

I raced a Olson 30 , J-30 and j-37 , Won ALIR on the 37, Then tried a Gemini 105, didn't impress me so I figure it's  time to go to a boat with training wheels 

Good choice, I’m always available. 

3 hours ago, Not for nothing said:

thanks for the input, I currently live about a mile from Finnish Line , and talk to Steve a few times, he's got a few corsairs 27 I may be interested in, Would love to take one out for a test sail,

I raced a Olson 30 , J-30 and j-37 , Won ALIR on the 37, Then tried a Gemini 105, didn't impress me so I figure it's  time to go to a boat with training wheels , 

By the way did you know Chuck Carnes, an avid tri sailor , Hooked up with him  with the sea scouts down here , as they used my J-37 for the kids,  Well he sailing to distance shores this spring, He'll be missed!

If you love sailing you can't go wrong with a Corsair F27.  I owned and raced/sailed one for well over a decade.  No shit, you can set that boat up so that when sailing from out onn the float with your eyes closed you honestly could not tell if you were on a small responsive dinghy like a Laser or the tri.  The F27 is a wonderful boat to drive and trim.  WEe moved up to a Corsair C36 for the comfort and ability to go extended cruising while losing much at all in terms of the joys of sailing.  I suspect Rapido would be the same or better but at much higher price point.  Bang for the buck and joy of sailing... its hard to beat the F27 (or C36).

29 minutes ago, Wess said:

If you love sailing you can't go wrong with a Corsair F27.

Thinking of joining a sail club , that does beer can races with a mixed fleet (SLSC) does the C-27 have a PHRF rating?

Steve is a solid guy and I can't recommend enough going through a broker to buy and sell a corsair.  It makes it so easy.  These boats really hold their value and you should be able to sell it more or less what you paid for it without hassle, as long as you take care of it.  So you can go large, sail it for 5 years and sell it if you wanna move on to something else.  I bought a C31 for $80k enjoyed the hell out of it for a few years and then sold it for $80k when I moved.  Plus it's a popular brand so no problem insuring it.

Something like this one with a carbon mast is a really nice mod, because raising and lowering the mast will be a lot less stressful.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2005/corsair-c28r-3693627/ 

Warning:  If you test sail you will buy it :)

the good is that they have a liveaboard interior, much more comfortable than a f boat, and the  prices have crashed, they will never compare to a f boat when it comes to sailing, but the 26 and 8 meter Telstars are great boats, i used them as summer homes and had many great sails.

Ps, i have owned all three Telstars and 3 different f boats

On 9/2/2020 at 11:08 PM, BeatmongerZ said:

Something like this one with a carbon mast is a really nice mod, because raising and lowering the mast will be a lot less stressful.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2005/corsair-c28r-3693627/ 

Dunno why you would want a carbon mast for that reason.  The trailer winch will easily lift the aluminum one and...dropping the aluminum mast won't make you need a new mast most of the time (you could get unlucky) while a carbon mast probably wouldn't survive even one mistake which, for me, would be more stressful.  

I guess each to his own.  I always felt like a 50lb carbon mast as opposed to a 150lb aluminum one would have been a lot easier to move around and setup. 

21 minutes ago, BeatmongerZ said:

I guess each to his own.  I always felt like a 50lb carbon mast as opposed to a 150lb aluminum one would have been a lot easier to move around and setup. 

and it is. but, otoh, it is much less forgiving of any "misshappening"...

• Like 2

On 9/3/2020 at 1:40 PM, multihuler said:

the good is that they have a liveaboard interior, much more comfortable than a f boat, and the  prices have crashed, they will never compare to a f boat when it comes to sailing, but the 26 and 8 meter Telstars are great boats, i used them as summer homes and had many great sails.

Ps, i have owned all three Telstars and 3 different f boats

I looked at a Telstar before I got my Seawind.  Wanted a real cruising boat as opposed to more of a camper cruiser.  But I was impressed with how much more the Telstar offered in terms of cruising capability than an fboat.  On the other hand an fboat is much faster and seemed to have better fit and finish.  There have been reports that Telstars leak where the deck is attached to the hull.  Maybe the biggest consideration is the price point of Telstars is way easier to get to than the price point of fboats.  For coastal sailing, especially in nice weather , if you have a problem with with the fboat price point a Telstar is a decent choice.

ok , update, 

found a telestar 28 1/2 the price of a used corsair,

probably won't do much cruising or overnighting mostly day sailing.

how's the head on the corsair 27?

On 9/7/2020 at 4:43 PM, Not for nothing said:

Half as nice as on the Telestar!

Really, this is apples to oranges. If you want to feel sailing and have a great time, Corsair is a much better day sailor. If you are strapped for budget, well of course the Telestar - it's half the price as you mention. Need to trailer? Corsair. Don't need to trailer? Telestar. Cruising? Telestar. Racing? Corsair (same as daysailing...).

It seems like your budget isn't huge and you aren't cruising or doing multi day trips or racing. You should really just get a Hobie for $5k and shit out the side.

(or for a proper recommendation if you really want a tri... just buy this guy's for $13k 

)

11 hours ago, Floating Duck said:

Half as nice as on the Telestar!

Really, this is apples to oranges. If you want to feel sailing and have a great time, Corsair is a much better day sailor. If you are strapped for budget, well of course the Telestar - it's half the price as you mention. Need to trailer? Corsair. Don't need to trailer? Telestar. Cruising? Telestar. Racing? Corsair (same as daysailing...).

It seems like your budget isn't huge and you aren't cruising or doing multi day trips or racing. You should really just get a Hobie for $5k and shit out the side.

(or for a proper recommendation if you really want a tri... just buy this guy's for $13k 

)

Don't know any Telestar trimaran ? Only Telstar 28  to my knowledge !

On 9/4/2020 at 7:30 PM, MultiThom said:

Dunno why you would want a carbon mast for that reason.  The trailer winch will easily lift the aluminum one and...dropping the aluminum mast won't make you need a new mast most of the time (you could get unlucky) while a carbon mast probably wouldn't survive even one mistake which, for me, would be more stressful.  

From my experience, I have owned carbon mast since 2000, 11 m one on a Ventilo 20 cat and several on A cats. Well designed CF masts are lighter ( about 40% less than aluminium) stiffer and easily repairable. The only time my A cat mast fall , I repaired it easily with CF cloth an epoxy. The only drawback is price, otherwise there is no comparison. I put my former Ventilo mast on a Tremolino MK 4 with 20 ft outriggers in 2006 and the boat is still afloat with this mast now. Moreover, CF mast lower the center of gravity of the boat, increase the security is easier to hoist and makes it faster.

On 9/7/2020 at 7:43 PM, Not for nothing said:

ok , update, 

found a telestar 28 1/2 the price of a used corsair,

probably won't do much cruising or overnighting mostly day sailing.

Its half the price for a reason LOL.

Look if you want to go slow why not get a monohull?  The nmonohull (many of them) will be faster than the Telestar, and have more room and better accommodations, and be cheaper still (both to buy and find a slip for).  And easier to resell.

I think (?) it ultimately comes down to this:  If you want a great sailing boat get the F27.  If you want price and comfort get a monohull. If you want neither, get as Telestar.

31 minutes ago, Wess said:

Its half the price for a reason LOL.

Look if you want to go slow why not get a monohull?  The nmonohull (many of them) will be faster than the Telestar, and have more room and better accommodations, and be cheaper still (both to buy and find a slip for).  And easier to resell.

I think (?) it ultimately comes down to this:  If you want a great sailing boat get the F27.  If you want price and comfort get a monohull. If you want neither, get as Telestar.

That's pretty much the way I'm thinking, Tried a Gemini 105 , comfort but slower then my J-37,                                                                                                                                                              Every one has been talking up the corsairs, A head for my wife/woman friends is all I really need below. for now,

If I want to "My Escape pod " which I would name "CATHCH ME IF YOU CAN " a big older 45-50 Beneteau is the way to go, unless I win the lottery , then we're talking Rapido or Gunboat, Will hold off to mid November 

Thanks for the input

1 hour ago, Wess said:

Mebe, but a monohull can be more difficult to sail single or short handed.   The three main ingredients are consistently; price, comfort, speed--pick any two.  But, convenience gets in there sometimes - it can be inconvenient to sail without crew, it can be inconvenient to take hours (or longer) to put the boat together to play with it; storage can be inconvenient ... do you want to sail on a whim or are you OK with hours/days of planning

On 9/8/2020 at 7:46 PM, Floating Duck said:

SNIP

SNIP

Telstars have trailers and the amas are easy to extend while on the trailer.

Back in the day I spent time driving to Jacksonville and Tampa to look at two Telstars.  The one in Jax was on the hard and the owner made a point of showing me how easy it was to use the trailer.  The one in Tampa was in the water and the guy who owned it died and a lawyer had it in the water behind his office.  Told me to bring a battery if I wanted to start the motor.  Maybe not the worst hard growth I have seen on a boat bottom; but it was in the running.