DialedN_07

Buffing/Cleaning Catamaran Hulls

I'm curious as to the consensus here.  I had heavy oxidation on the hulls of my F16 and decided to go the buffing route.  After applying the diminishing compound, I went back with a clean bad and did a high speed light touch to remove any residual compound on the gelcoat.

I know that wax would help protect against UV and future oxidation, but I've heard wax is "slow".  Have also heard of people just going straight wet sanding.  

Everything I've "heard" is just that.  Does anyone have feedback to this?

Buff it out and then use a polish with no wax (Nu Finish is what I've always used). It'll give it a good shine and make it easier to keep clean going forward.

Collinite 845

YouTube it. Heat it up (left outside or in a bowl of warm water) and it's the EASIEST wax to apply. Lasts about 6 months on a boat (i.e. about my racing season)

I use it on my cars, motorcycles, boats, and even bare carbon bicycles. 

use a ceramic coating.

System X Diamond SS ceramic 

Use it on all my boats without a wrap. You'll wonder why you've never used it before after the results.

Starbrite teflon polish. It's 'fast' and protects the surface. Be aware though it is slick as ice if you are trying to right the boat.

Wet sand for heavy oxidation, but only if you have to. Follow that with buffing and wax. I agree, you won’t see any speed diff on a cat with wax. Also, when buffing, you can use wool on gel coat, but use waffle pads on paint. I use Starbrite and the Collinite. Will try ceramic next.