Sign in to follow this  
SCANAS

Brisbane QLD: 69th Bribie Cup 19th September + Return Race 20th September

The 69th Bribie Cup is on the 19th of September ( return race the following day ) 

https://www.qcyc.com.au/wp-content/uploads/BC2020-NOR.pdf

For those not familiar this is a great little race from Shorncliffe, past the Redcliffe jetty to North Reef, Deception Bay red, Bribie South Cardinal and then finish off the Bongaree Jetty. There is plenty of depth on the racecourse, even for a TP52. Once finished you can raft up to the jetty or anchor out and the Bribie Club rib will come and get you and take you to the beer tent on the beach, this usually amazes the locals who wonder how they get the liquor license for the beach. 

I would recommend anchoring or picking up a mooring as the jetty does get some powerboat wash. Mutli's and Trailer boats generally just pull up on the beach. 

The race is open to all clubs. mono and multi's, Cat 5. 

$40 entry fee

After you have had you fill, boats have the option of going to MBBC at Scarborough for the night. 

A return race starts the next day off the Scarborough Entrance leads at 1000 with the course being Start, North reef, Garnet, Otter, Fisheries, Brisbane Rds with finish off the Coffee pots. 

@LB 15 @shaggybaxter @lydia you all have boats, tell your friends. I'll see you there. Matrix will be there to defend our hard fought win last year :)

P.S I'm pretty sure QCYC would accommodate you if you want to rig up and leave your trailer at the club overnight. 

• Like 1

So apparently there is no beer tent on the beach this year :( MBBC instead. 

Pity another club decided to run the TP52 state titles on the same day. 

• Like 1

That is not a pity, that weekend is the only spring tide weekend in the second half of the year.

So stand corrected, there is another but another signature event of another club is on that weekend.

• Like 1

So it was on the nose both ways.

4 minutes ago, astro said:

So it was on the nose both ways.

Plenty of things on the nose around SE Qld.

Do you sail?

I meant northerly on the way up and southerly on the way back.

Sucky combination for the smaller boats.  Glad I wasn't there.

Edit: Just checked QCYC website and no results.

1 hour ago, astro said:

Do you sail?

I'm pretty sure he knew what you meant <_<

1 hour ago, astro said:

Do you sail?

Sucky combination for the smaller boats.  Glad I wasn't there.

Edit: Just checked QCYC website and no results.

Results come after the race, usually. Should be handful of old timber boats. Last year was run - reach - run & shy kite home. 

• Like 1

Didn't check the date.  My Bad.

37 minutes ago, astro said:

Didn't check the date.  My Bad.

Come, it will be a good easy going event. 

1 minute ago, SCANAS said:

Come, it will be a good easy going event. 

I've done it a few times, good race.

Sold the boat two years ago.  Getting itchy palms.

• Like 1

Heading to over 40 boats, so great fleet.

The Australian Sailing Queensland Yachting Championship on at the same time has just hit 10 boats as a flag officer entered to get it to double figures.

You would think there was a message there.

And if you had of made the Bribie Cup a race of the Qld Yachting championships, let's see 50 boats.

That would of course require one club to work some others.

So GRS  I hope this is embarrassing for Australian Sailing.

You need to start listening the the owners not the clubs.

Listening of any type would be a great start for AS.

On 9/14/2020 at 6:03 PM, Livia said:

The Australian Sailing Queensland Yachting Championship on at the same time has just hit 10 boats as a flag officer entered to get it to double figures.

I might enter...

Kevin Pollak Can Handle the Truth About A Few Good Men | Vanity Fair

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

A few good men and a pretty good woman in the middle too.

I don't want to enter any men no matter how few, or good, they are.

• Like 2

Looks like 43 entries and more IRC boats than the Qld Yachting Championships (IRC Division).

Definitely more trailer sailors and multi hulls.

So if you are not from Qld and wonder why this thread exists, Australian Sailing ignored the owners and the smaller clubs and have been told to get fucked for their trouble.

The Australian Sailing Event at least count has 12 entries all up, no entries in one division and one entry in another division.

• Like 3

Just launched my boat for the Bribie weekend, great vibe ahead of a glamour weather prediction for passage races both ways.

AS and RQ putting events on against existing and long standing calender events is sadly a common thing.

Even weirder imho is the very low afternoon tide dates they picked so deeper keeled IRC boats may need to raft up in the chop outside in the bay?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, plywoodboy said:

Just launched my boat for the Bribie weekend, great vibe ahead of a glamour weather prediction for passage races both ways.

AS and RQ putting events on against existing and long standing calender events is sadly a common thing.

Even weirder imho is the very low afternoon tide dates they picked so deeper keeled IRC boats may need to raft up in the chop outside in the bay?

But big night tides if you wanted to, say, launch a trailer sailor with a 3 metre draft just for the weekend.

On 9/16/2020 at 7:02 AM, LB 15 said:

I might enter...

Kevin Pollak Can Handle the Truth About A Few Good Men | Vanity Fair

You can’t use the word “enter” in the same post as a picture with Demi Moore. I was in the middle of my morning coffee and now I have to go for a hand-shandy.

Bastard.

Drag Race! 

All the best to the competitors, poles forward gentlemen and don't poke the ladies. 

image.png.864e215f86ae48b93ec0c88adf60d747.png

Dig out early, the tide'll pull the wind back, biggest reaching kite in the inventory strapped as shy as fuck and smile as the wind fills in.

• Like 2

Is this where we complain about the luxury cruiser with teak & twin pressure hot water showers having the highest handicap? .... just messing with ya’s. Should be a good day out. 

I just got chastised on another thread for calling "some cunt" a "dead cunt" and even recieving a DM mentioning a time out. Seems it was construed as a death threat as I think some of these useless cunts think I'm a ex IRA cunt. Anyway I put them straight.

You cunts have have a good weekend on the water. 

IMG_20200919_003733.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

I just got chastised on another thread for calling "some cunt" a "dead cunt" and even recieving a DM mentioning a time out. Seems it was construed as a death threat as I think some of these useless cunts think I'm a ex IRA cunt. Anyway I put them straight.

You cunts have have a good weekend on the water. 

IMG_20200919_003733.jpg

I think you summed it up cunt

You pricks have it all backwards.

A cunt is a beautiful thing. They’re juicy and fun to play with.

That useless flap of skin that connects the ball sack to my arse though... what’s that called?

18 minutes ago, Jason AUS said:

You pricks have it all backwards.

A cunt is a beautiful thing. They’re juicy and fun to play with.

That useless flap of skin that connects the ball sack to my arse though... what’s that called?

That's  known locally as RQYS. 

• Like 5

From what I was told yesterday, RQ failed dismally at Race Management 101 yesterday in the prestigious Qld IRC Championships!  Whoever wins the series could have just picked the trophy out of a CornFlakes packet for all it has to do with sailing ability.  Well done RQ.

Cracker day out at the Bribie Cup.

The ten bigger keel boats all finished in within about 8 minutes of each other.

The smaller divisions sailing shorter course all finished about the same time so quite a mass finish.

Great sail home with few beers.

Classic Qld spring racing.

Too funny!

From the Moreton Times

Clubs competing for the same boats for their events, never!!

Let's co-operate, that is outrageous!

Setting sail from Brisbane to … Bribie

Queensland yacht racing club Bribie Cup at the wheel moreton daily

POSTED: 6AM 18 SEP 2020

The Moreton Bay Region will still see a magnificent fleet of racing yachts this year, going from Brisbane to Bribie – not Gladstone - this weekend.

Queensland Cruising Yacht Club (QCYC) is turning back the clock by expanding this weekend’s Bribie CupYacht Race into a two-day event.

It means more than 50 yachts and their crews will sail from the mouth of the Brisbane River to Bribie on Saturday, September 19.

Overnight stop

The yachts will then turn and head to Scarborough, moor overnight at Moreton Bay Boat Club (MBBC) and race back to the Brisbane River on Sunday, September 20.

On both days, the fleet will sail along our region’s foreshore, just as entries in the Brisbane to Gladstone race have done every year since 1949 - except in 2020 due to COVID-19.

The new format for the 69th Bribie Cup weekend evolved from a mid-winter meeting at Manly to find a more collective approach to inter-club racing.

Queensland yacht racing club Bribie Cup ropes moreton daily

Working together

“All the clubs were competing for the same boats for their events,” says Harley Cowlishaw, Vice Commodore at QCYC, “so clubs got together to say ‘let’s work with each other’. “Moreton Bay Boat Club came to Queensland Cruising Yacht Club and said how about resurrecting this (two-day Bribie Cup).

“In the past the yachts would have a presentation at Bribie, then pack up and use it as a twilight sail back to their respective port.

“MBBC said if we put on a function on the Saturday night and you encourage the boats to come to MBBC, we’ll start the race for you and run the race back. 

Great idea

“We thought why not? It always used to happen, so we’ve resurrected it. Everyone has said ‘what a great idea’, ‘about time’ … that sort of thing.”

Harley will be entering his yacht Hasta La Vista and said more are expected from the Royal Queensland Yacht Club at Manly and possibly from Mooloolaba.

A new trophy will be struck for the new Sunday race from Scarborough to the Brisbane River and it may well become an annual event.

Queensland yacht racing club Bribie Cup trophy moreton daily

Marina move

With the number of yachts expected for the two-day event, extra berths have been sought in a neighbouring marina.

The Bribie Cup dates back to 1952 where it started with a single mono-hull division. It now has four divisions including multihull and classic. The biggest field was 150 yachts.

Arthur Bloore, who lived at Scarborough, entered the biggest yacht in 1984. The Office was 68 feet long and also did the Sydney to Hobart race. It is still sailing but now under the name of Helsal 3.

The Bribie Cup Race will run from 8am-5pm. Full details are available at www.qcyc.com.au

Twas a great weekend for all, although I am obviously biased towards my little club's efforts. Highlight was the great blast reach Saturday for the 10 nm leg from Bris Rds to D Bay red (18.6 knots!), many options for quiet beers or Geronimo style big partying that night, and a lovely soft wind glide home Sunday. 

No politics or protests, just good sailing with good people,  all looking forward to the St Helena Cup in 2 weeks, hopefully we can all play together. 

• Like 2

Do RQ have time to "organise" a race in opposition?  

RQ and "organise" in the one sentence is a concept from the distant past!

Couple of lovely days on the water & good social atmosphere. 

6 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Couple of lovely days on the water & good social atmosphere. 

Scanas, you guys had Matrix going well yesterday in the light stuff,  think I prefer Saturday wind if we play again! 

11 minutes ago, plywoodboy said:

Scanas, you guys had Matrix going well yesterday in the light stuff,  think I prefer Saturday wind if we play again! 

It’s a really nice boat. We were happy it was a bit lighter on 2nd day as we only had 6 crew. The course & weather worked out well for both days. Good event all round. 

31 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

It’s a really nice boat. We were happy it was a bit lighter on 2nd day as we only had 6 crew. The course & weather worked out well for both days. Good event all round. 

Yes the B team did quite a good job without 'Gods navigator in waiting' on board. :) 

1 hour ago, Recidivist said:

RQ and "organise" in the one sentence is a concept from the distant past!

Looking at the PHS Results they can certainly 'organise' somethings.

• Like 1

I am just going to get this out of the way early!

sideways.png

39 minutes ago, Livia said:

sideways.png

Ah, the old blooper 'trim with the halyard trick'. Always works a treat.

9 hours ago, Livia said:

sideways.png

It's only one shot,  but THEY appear to be the overtaking boat!

23 minutes ago, TUBBY said:

Good point

15 hours ago, TUBBY said:

And ahead of mast abeam

Was quite the entertaining piss up at mbbc, and stayed open till we had all had our fill, and no sign of the famous "Scarboroughgate" dramas either! 

Good work QCYC!

And how good is it leading the maxis in a 7m boat in Sundays glass out! 

Some chatter about QCYC holding the "real" Qld IRC and Trailerable Regatta soon.

No AS involvement and everyone is invited (almost)

Cool.

2 hours ago, Livia said:

Some chatter about QCYC holding the "real" Qld IRC and Trailerable Regatta soon.

No AS involvement and everyone is invited (almost)

Cool.

Excellent. As I've been saying - just ignore the bastards and set up a system to do what you want to do, not what they tell you to do.

Weather on the Channel is improving. If you like 20 knots from the south and 12C anyway. Much better today so I'm out of here on the tide.

FKT

Nice Tassie spring day.

Now all you need is some liquid sunshine by lunchtime to complete the picture.

12 hours ago, Turkey Slapper said:

Was quite the entertaining piss up at mbbc, and stayed open till we had all had our fill,

So they never closed

• Like 1

Enjoyable run this year, on a cruising cat.

only minr niggle, was being requested to mve bat on the Friday, night at QCYC, from the outside ends,

something about "hazard to navigation"

the wooden boat lads were fine, a month or so back!

On 9/29/2020 at 11:51 PM, JasonL said:

Enjoyable run this year, on a cruising cat.

only minr niggle, was being requested to mve bat on the Friday, night at QCYC, from the outside ends,

something about "hazard to navigation"

the wooden boat lads were fine, a month or so back!

Sorry the club had to do that, there are strict conditions on the govt lease and club is sticking to the rules while the lease is on the table. Cruising cat takes up a lot more of a teeny creek than woody boats, and all it takes is one commercial operator to complain....