bmiller

It's coming, (winter)

Snow on the peaks behind the house this morning. One of my trees is done for the year. The leaves are on the ground now.

RIMG0344-XL.jpg

• Like 2

Laves on the ground here in SE CT too.

BUT

Don't rush it Bmiller!!  Autumn is some of the best weather, and I detest winter cold.  With airline prices where they are, we are contemplating spending the 3rd week of January, Februay and March, in South Carolina with our daughters...

Oh I'm not rushing. September is my favorite month of the year. All the frigging tourists leave, kids go back to school, temps moderate, fish get hungry and when I had a boat on the reservoir fewer and fewer people came out.

Sailing doesn't even get decent here until November. It is still a long, windless (except thunderstorms), hot summer.

winter has been cancelled , 

I was going to say "don't shoot the message" but >>>>>>>>>>>>

Farmers almanac says the rest of you guys are going to have an "interesting" winter. 

Here in the PNW we will continue to slowly rust away, while fighting the giant slugs!!

WL

• Like 2

In order to keep from turning into social hermits, I just bought a fire pit for the back yard. I want to squeeze as many distanced happy hours with friends and neighbors as I can get out of 2020...

1 hour ago, bridhb said:

Sailing doesn't even get decent here until November. It is still a long, windless (except thunderstorms), hot summer.

Frostbite racing will probably cancelled again, this this spring.  Usually we sail until first Sunday in December.

18 minutes ago, IStream said:

In order to keep from turning into social hermits, I just bought a fire pit for the back yard. I want to squeeze as many distanced happy hours with friends and neighbors as I can get out of 2020...

Plan on getting a propane fired one, when it gets chillier, can't be bothered with wood.  About a hundred bucks on Amazon...

I'm going with the natural gas already plumbed into my deck. 

35 minutes ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

I got an Ikon pass anyway. An eternal optimist I guess.

got both again... still planning to wander around in the RV to all the places that are open. 

Mr Miller, so you know if copper is doing any sort of reservation system like the evil empire is planning on? 

20 minutes ago, IStream said:

I'm going with the natural gas already plumbed into my deck. 

I thought of that, but with a half inch propane line feeding the gas log in the fireplace, AND the new 5 burner cooktop, I don't want to overtax the system.  We wanted to do 3/4 line from tank to basement then split to two 1/2 inch, but suppliers were all out of stock of 3/4.  Plus, I want the ability to move it around the deck, and the small tank hides in the bottom.

Supposed to hit 90's this weekend here in low cal......at the beach. Sigh........

28 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

I thought of that, but with a half inch propane line feeding the gas log in the fireplace, AND the new 5 burner cooktop, I don't want to overtax the system.  We wanted to do 3/4 line from tank to basement then split to two 1/2 inch, but suppliers were all out of stock of 3/4.  Plus, I want the ability to move it around the deck, and the small tank hides in the bottom.

Fair enough. I've got a 3/4" line running from our gas supply out to the deck, where it necks down to 1/2" to the grill. I figure another 1/2" spur for the pit will do the job as long as I don't run both at full bore at the same time. If the need arises, I can retrofit with 3/4".

Aspen-Snowmass had a light dusting of snow last night.

New rules for this season:  No reservations, no on-mountain dining and no on-mountain, indoor restrooms.  Only outdoor tables for those who pack a lunch and potta-potties - ladies won't like unheated seats.

Capture Aspen Sept 1 2020.JPG

1 hour ago, billy backstay said:
1 hour ago, IStream said:

Plan on getting a propane fired one, when it gets chillier, can't be bothered with wood. 

Thissis howe I gette rid the bracnhes that come downe it my yarde.  Betweene the D-Firs, Silvere Maples, and  the sugar bushe, lottes of fuelle to burne.                                 :)

44 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Supposed to hit 90's this weekend here in low cal......at the beach. Sigh........

Don't be a Woody now...

56 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Don't be a Woody now...

My bad.....wasn’t bragging.....lamenting. 90’s too hot for this old guy. :(

2 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

got both again... still planning to wander around in the RV to all the places that are open. 

Mr Miller, so you know if copper is doing any sort of reservation system like the evil empire is planning on? 

keep us posted where you might be especially that accepts the Ikon pass

3 minutes ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

keep us posted where you might be especially that accepts the Ikon pass

copy that

3 hours ago, IStream said:

That sounds like you have information that 2021 is gonna be a worse year than this one?

Say it ain’t so.

I'd rather assume the worst and be pleasantly surprised than the other way around. Bottom line: I figure we're likely gonna be in this shit through most of 2021 even with a vaccine before the end of 2020.

4 hours ago, White Lightning2 said:

Farmers almanac says the rest of you guys are going to have an "interesting" winter. 

Here in the PNW we will continue to slowly rust away, while fighting the giant slugs!!

WL

To get an even coating of moss and funk, it's time to spin the boats in thier slips.

1 hour ago, hobot said:

To get an even coating of moss and funk, it's time to spin the boats in thier slips.

done!

My slip's not deep enough to put the mast down.

typical spring eastern wind blowin' down here today 

7 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Plan on getting a propane fired one, when it gets chillier, can't be bothered with wood.  About a hundred bucks on Amazon...

My wife bought a propane fired heater for our back patio.  Could get us into late October or even November.

I do remember some 35 years ago sailing on Thanksgiving weekend and pulling the boat out of the water a few days later with 5” of snow on the deck.

8 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

We know as much as you do right now, nadda. As soon as we hear I'll let you know.  

1 hour ago, bmiller said:

We know as much as you do right now, nadda. As soon as we hear I'll let you know.  

Thanks mate!

On 9/1/2020 at 12:53 PM, Snaggletooth said:

Thissis howe I gette rid the bracnhes that come downe it my yarde.  Betweene the D-Firs, Silvere Maples, and  the sugar bushe, lottes of fuelle to burne.                                 :)

Our two acres is mostly heavily wooded, and the trees around the yard drop enough branches by Spring to fuel a fire pit all Fall, but I can't be arsed to pick up and pile all the sticks, so we usually hire some High Schoolers to pick them up and throw into the woods to decompose naturally.

1 hour ago, Serge A. Storms said:

Winter is something to look forward to if you have one of these....

For info click these:

https://www.idniyra.org/getting-started/

https://theneiya.org/getting-started/

https://www.iceboat.org/ice-boating-types-get-involved/

Make this the year!  It's a blast....

DN MONTANA NA 2020.jpg

DN 5224 2003.jpg

I'd love to get one of those but our ice is normally covered with crappy wind blown snow.

Fall is the best season to hang out for an hour or two in the Jacuzzi ... cool evenings to make it good, but not so cold that you avoid it altogether to avoid the minus-twelve winter night and and that miserable frigid shuffle back into the house.

Updated weather forecast of this weekend is over 100...........at the beach...........so we'll be in the jacuzzi but it won't be heated.................sheesh..........

I think we'll cancel our 1500 tee times................:blink:

On 9/3/2020 at 12:15 PM, ROADKILL666 said:

It needs to come faster to Florida,its fucking swamp hot.

Hope Winter comes on a weekend this year on the Spaced Coast. 

10 day forecast here, mid to upper 80's until Tuesday, high of 40 and a possible low of 20. First freeze of the season coming. My wife is harvesting her garden pretty thoroughly.

Currently 110 outside with a high of 114 forecast 

ugh

On 9/1/2020 at 7:40 PM, Bump-n-Grind said:

Thanks mate!

https://www.coppercolorado.com/culture/blog/all-blogs/20-21-winter-season-update

There should be a notice over the regular page.

Looks like there will be a parking reservation requirement, doesn't say anything about skier reservations. And of course gotta wear a mask. Reconfigured lift queues.

1 hour ago, bmiller said:

https://www.coppercolorado.com/culture/blog/all-blogs/20-21-winter-season-update

There should be a notice over the regular page.

Looks like there will be a parking reservation requirement, doesn't say anything about skier reservations. And of course gotta wear a mask. Reconfigured lift queues.

thanks, will give it a look.

1 hour ago, Ned said:

What's winter?

That one time, 5 years ago, when you had to wear socks. That was your winter.

2 hours ago, bmiller said:

That one time, 5 years ago, when you had to wear socks. That was your winter.

Socks? I never wear socks with my flaps. Inlanders do that.

Gonna be 109 here today. Power company threatening to shut off the juice due to high demand. Cat refuses to go outside. Fine ash all over the porch.

What with the smoke and smog haze, the sunsets look like something out of a sci fi movie on some distant planet where gigantic worms come up out of  the sand and eat your spaceship. 

• Like 1

winter can't come soon enough here in southwest Montana. Wildfire just northeast of Bozeman, Montana taken Saturday Sept 5. Snow and rain forecast starting tonight with 4-6" higher elevations by Monday night. Fire blew-up from 400 acres Saturday morning to 7000 acres Saturday afternoon thanks to 20-30 mph wind and 90-95 F.

Bridger Foothills Fire from Fort Ellis Road (5-Sept-2020).jpg

On 9/1/2020 at 9:10 AM, Point Break said:

Best way to piss them off is responding with "What is "winter"?"  

• Like 2

Only in Colorado, red flag warning today, winter storm warning tomorrow.

• Like 1

Currently 110 but feels cooler than the 90 degree 55% humidity we had at 6:30am

Wood shed is full of fir, current weekly forecast for 78 degrees here on Vancouver island. No turning leaves on the maples yet , which seems funny.. last year the had started by now.

On 9/7/2020 at 7:04 AM, bmiller said:

I had a bumper crop of still green tomatoes, covered them up and hoped for the best. It's been snowing all day.

I fear my little angels are done for. Summer snow, and I'm only at about 6k feet. Maybe I can pickle them green?

7 hours ago, bmiller said:

It's here.

RIMG0350-X2.jpg

Huh ... that's about two or three inches, same amount here in Golden. Usually Salida gets a good bit more than we do. You're a full thousand feet higher than where I am.

And my snowmobile still has the blown engine. I need to put the rebuild for that gal on the front burner.

On 9/7/2020 at 9:04 AM, bmiller said:

My son said it was 97 on Monday and a blizzard on Tuesday. 

58 minutes ago, chinabald said:

My son said it was 97 on Monday and a blizzard on Tuesday. 

Nothing says summer like 8" of freshness. Fall is still 2 weeks away.

20200909_045731.jpg

16 minutes ago, bmiller said:

Nothing says summer like 8" of freshness. Fall is still 2 weeks away.

20200909_045731.jpg

Fuck that!!  I'm planning on being wih our daughters in South Carolina, when that shit goes down!!

And the Time switch is this Saturday.

I hate this shit, fucking quit with the time change and make DST year round. Your pets will love it.

I thought more States did not switch. It's interesting why Arizona does not switch.

Blue used to participate no longer do?

DaylightSaving-World-Subdivisions.jpg

• Like 1

This particular week is the worst if you do business with Europe because they changed over yesterday so there's a one week period when nobody know what fucking time it is.

Some (quite a few) boats still in the water and a light dusting of snow this morning.  Oh joy.

5 hours ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

my ikon dope came in the mail last week, looks like its all coming together

Ikon dope?  I've been using Green Kings but shit is certainly coming together!

8 minutes ago, chester said:

Ikon dope?  I've been using Green Kings but shit is certainly coming together!

ha! Ikon ski pass for 20/21

I can see where you may have had other thoughts. I have never inhaled while on a ski lift.

On 10/26/2020 at 5:06 PM, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

ha! Ikon ski pass for 20/21

I can see where you may have had other thoughts. I have never inhaled while on a ski lift.

We ordered our season passes for Taos the other day.

They are going to limit daily skiers to 25% of uphill capacity. Sounds like no crowds, which is just Jim-Cracking-Dandy with me. 

6 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

They are going to limit daily skiers to 25% of uphill capacity. Sounds like no crowds, which is just Jim-Cracking-Dandy with me. 

I hope you guys get some good days in this season! With the virus exploding in California right now I have no idea what the Squaw Valley deal is going to be. I hope for the best.

58 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Im need to find out how they will handle the partner mountain passes. My Copper pass gets me 3 days down there and several other mountains.

On 9/1/2020 at 7:52 AM, White Lightning2 said:

WL

And the mildew.  Don't forget the mildew. I just noticed I need to change my profile. It still says Honolulu and I'm sitting here in Anacortes near the ferry dock.  I don't think we're in Hawaii anymore, Toto.

It hit 17°C (62°F) the other morning.  My little tropical hothouse flower of a daughter was in her fleece!

3 hours ago, Hawaiidart said:

And the mildew.  Don't forget the mildew. I just noticed I need to change my profile. It still says Honolulu and I'm sitting here in Anacortes near the ferry dock.  I don't think we're in Hawaii anymore, Toto.

If you had been, you could have popped the chute on that westerly today and been here in time for supper!!

WL

If any of you guys want some firewood,  just dropped two dead hardwood trees this morning.

2 -3 tonnes easy, free for pickup.

It's 33C at latitude 27S today.

well winter hit on the great northern plains in a hurry.  I took the afternoons of nov 4/5 off of just because, sunny 15-17 degrees, dry, dry.  On the 8th and 9th we were hit with two "colorado lows"  that left 40 cm of snow on the ground. got a few more cm this morning.  The snowblower has gotten a hell of a work out...it's fun!

On 9/1/2020 at 12:34 PM, Morgan Crewed said:

Aspen-Snowmass had a light dusting of snow last night.

New rules for this season:  No reservations, no on-mountain dining and no on-mountain, indoor restrooms.  Only outdoor tables for those who pack a lunch and potta-potties - ladies won't like unheated seats.

Capture Aspen Sept 1 2020.JPG

You'll just have to courteously dart into the porta potty just before the women, and warm the seat up for them... And don't forget to leave plenty of your own personal air freshener. I call mine "Boiled onions, and steamed King crab legs with butter... :D

6 hours ago, bmiller said:

Hey woody, could you run down and clear out a spot for me on Fiesta? I need to thaw out for a little bit

homeless have filled   the long strip facing the sunsets

there is however a fire ring that opened recently 

make no bones about it, the place is to die for

1 hour ago, ancientseawolf said:

Are potential Floridians moving to the Golden State?

no they have their own Dem/GravyTrain and warm weather

sometimes WINDY but none the less

we only get the ones put on a buss by other shithole states to make us MORE ShitHole

2 hours ago, mikewof said:

1st thing ... Does NOT look warm

that's enough four mee

1 hour ago, DA-WOODY said:

1st thing ... Does NOT look warm

that's enough four mee

Did you notice how the kill cord is wrapped around a buoy to show the location in case it sinks?

Drop a bit of power, or maybe the track slips ... suddenly your sled is underwater. I guess nothing encourage proper maintenance better than knowing that you can't even make one mistake.

Two things...

I remember when it was really something to get over 50 feet of open water

All we need is PWC level nuisance in cold weather

not down here (south of the equator) - 98.6°F as we speak...