Sign in to follow this  
Couta

8 Bells Peter Campbell

I recall my first (of many) meetings with him as he was preparing an article about my tilt at the lympix back in '79. I remember his opening line: "Comparisons in sport are often odious...." as he went on to point out the govt support given to Anaconda in the upcoming S2H...and the lack of support given to young lympix prospects. That pendulum has certainly swung!! At a time when youngsters were pretty much ignored (before they were recognised in IOR or Am Cup) he was a strong supporter for development...and saw the coming changes as the dinghy sailors stepped into the big boat scene and eventually took over. Good bloke and a great promoter of our sport. Fair winds!

• Like 2

Had many great chats with Peter over the years. As you say Couta, an absolute gentleman with an encyclopedic knowledge of our sport, the boats and the people in it.

Still publishing informative and interesting race reports up until last week, he will be greatly missed. Vale Peter Campbell. 

• Like 1

Always a gentlemen, wonder how many words he wrote or articles published?

And great he kept sailing for so long as well.

Wonder if someone will keep his collection of works together and secure them somewhere.

It is a social history as much as anything.

Maritime Muesum of Tasmania maybe.

Maybe some of us here should get on to that.

• Like 2

Always recall reading his reviews in papers, modern boating, aus sailing, everywhere.

fair winds

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Had many great chats with Peter over the years. As you say Couta, an absolute gentleman with an encyclopedic knowledge of our sport, the boats and the people in it.

Still publishing informative and interesting race reports up until last week, he will be greatly missed. Vale Peter Campbell. 

As an early player in the online space (along with a mate - we founded YEPP....but that's another story) I sought out his view on how it'd be accepted in the recreational marine scene....given that YEPP was an online chandlery (probably the first in Australia) with ambitions of moving into online publishing (we were a prototype for websites to come, like SA)...it was a risk! He was amazingly frank, told me it was a logical development but pointed out the conservative nature of our sport and the vested interests in the status quo....as it turned out...sage advice! Open, interested and passionate about our sport...as you say Sportscar...Vale Peter Cambell.

Can't think of enough words that describe my respect for Peter Campbell. Hobart presence in sailing soared when PC came here. A genuine and sincere gentleman who will be missed. Vale Peter Campbell

A great man. A humble man. With no airs and graces for who you were or might be supposed to be, commenting only on performance. I always appreciated that Peter would mention my tiny country club whenever he reported on our results.

They don't make them like that any more.

RIP

They simply don't make them anymore and that's sad...Peter was a very cool and knowledgeable guy who came from the hard working and principled journo era and spread the love of the sport we love around.

Every New Year's Eve he just printed these words about the S2H; 

" XXXXXX stole the show on the River Derwent today with a spectacular exhibition of power sailing." 

The lazy cunt just inserted the name of the maxi who ever it was that got LH and ignored the actual breeze and didn't get serious writing about Tatts until the next day.

They don't make them anymore ..that's it. Bye Pete.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

They simply don't make them anymore and that's sad...Peter was a very cool and knowledgeable guy who came from the hard working and principled journo era and spread the love of the sport we love around.

Every New Year's Eve he just printed these words about the S2H; 

" XXXXXX stole the show on the River Derwent today with a spectacular exhibition of power sailing." 

The lazy cunt just inserted the name of the maxi who ever it was that got LH and ignored the actual breeze and didn't get serious writing about Tatts until the next day.

They don't make them anymore ..that's it. Bye Pete.

Similar journalistic school to Stripey Grant in that regard but Peter was not as florid in his descriptions. Will be an interesting AGM this year for SINS (Celestial Division) 

You might say that Stripey was tabloid while Peter was broadsheet!

Stripey also did a lot of radio ....he is in fact quoted as saying.... "I've got a great head for Radio." ha ha.

Pre internet if you wanted to get the latest sailing results world wide a trip to the newsagent and it was always Peter pen. 

Stripey as the first official roving reporter for the YePP website....real character!