Sign in to follow this  
Ed Lada

Garden Renovation

We have a friend/nearby neighbor, Marta, that studied art in university and also has grown up around plants and gardens.  Since we moved into our house 11 years ago, I have wanted a small Japanese garden.  My plan was to take a small triangle in the back corner of the yard for this purpose.  Initially there were about 8 pine trees in the area but there are some large power lines running over that area and the trees were getting close to them as they grew, we cut all but 2 of the trees down.  It was no big loss, a good part of Poland is covered in pine trees.  

So I asked Marta if she wanted to come up with some ideas for my small Japanese garden and I told her what I had in mind.  Marta drew up some sketches for a little bigger garden and I gave her the green light.  In the Army we called it mission creep.  As the days went on, what started out to be about 200 sq ft kept growing.  Not only did the garden occupy the original corner I had in mind, it also worked its way up the side of the house, all the way to the front corner of the house.  Then it also wound around behind the pool fence. 

Marta didn't know much about Japanese gardens so she did a lot of research.  In true Japanese fashion, there are a variety of plants, bushes, and flowers.  Some will be bare in the winter, others will stay green.  There will be flowers most of the seasons except winter and even in winter, there will be red berries on some of the plants.  Lots of green leaves and also red leaves, some leaves will change color as the seasons go on.  Of course there is bamboo as well and 3 ginko trees behind the pool.   I call that part of the garden my 'ginko forest'.  Nothing says Japan like bamboo and ginko trees. The garden will change as the plants grow larger, some will be replaced occasionally.  The key feature is that everything look very natural, something that is hard to get right.  Everything has been carefully planned, every rock and stone carefully placed so it looks like part of the natural landscape.  The big rock to the left of the stone lantern was on the property when we built the house.  It has probably been there for countless years, I doubt anybody just put it on the land.   I asked the builders to leave it when they were grading the land, I knew I would use it in my future garden.  

What started out to be a small, simple project has blossomed into a breathtakingly beautiful garden.  

Here is some of the result, I'll make some more photos when the entire project is done.  

G5.jpg

G2.jpg

G4a.jpg

G1.jpg

G7a.jpg

G8a.jpg

G9a.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

what no big ass water feature with a pagoda on it?

DSC06581.JPG

from the Japanese garden in SF...

very nice Ed.

I really would like a water feature with a nice little arched bridge but between the house, a large deck on the back of the house, and the pool, we are running out of room. That and the water would be a problem in the winter and with 2 Labs!  I would like a torii gate, but it looks like I'll have to have one made, they aren't common in Poland. 

The pool is the water feature.  :lol:

Don't forget the Shishi-odoshi.

1 hour ago, slap said:

Don't forget the Shishi-odoshi.

No water, we have winter here!

I hope those are Black bamboo, or some other non-invasive variety..... I also hope the Ginko trees are all males, or your garden will smell like vomit, or cat shit in the autumn.

Other than those observations.... Very nice!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ease the sheet. said:

how you going to run your wheel chair over all that gravel, gramps?

Fat tires!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

I hope those are Black bamboo, or some other non-invasive variety..... I also hope the Ginko trees are all males, or your garden will smell like vomit, or cat shit in the autumn.

Some of the bamboo is black.  There is heavy plastic going down 3 feet around the bamboo area.  We'll see if that works.  I have no idea how to determine the sex of a ginkgo tree.  Ask them what their preferred pronouns are?  Do the male trees have penises?  Autumn is approaching so I guess we'll know soon!  I lived in Japan for 3 1/2 years and saw ginkgo trees everywhere.  I don't recall ever noticing any foul odor around them.  Maybe the Japanese nurseries have the sex identification down.

2 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Some of the bamboo is black.  There is heavy plastic going down 3 feet around the bamboo area.  We'll see if that works.  I have no idea how to determine the sex of a ginkgo tree.  Ask them what their preferred pronouns are?  Do the male trees have penises?  Autumn is approaching so I guess we'll know soon!  I lived in Japan for 3 1/2 years and saw ginkgo trees everywhere.  I don't recall ever noticing any foul odor around them.  Maybe the Japanese nurseries have the sex identification down.

The female Ginkos have fruit (berries) that really stink to high heaven when they fall and rot.

3' deep plastic edging might keep the creeping bamboo out for a while, but it'll get under/over/around it in a year or two.... Worse it'll go under your pool decking and send up shoots through the decking, climb into your pool filter/pump/etc. It's beautiful stuff, but it's a royal pain in the ass to contain.

2 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

The female Ginkos have fruit (berries) that really stink to high heaven when they fall and rot.

3' deep plastic edging might keep the creeping bamboo out for a while, but it'll get under/over/around it in a year or two.... Worse it'll go under your pool decking and send up shoots through the decking, climb into your pool filter/pump/etc. It's beautiful stuff, but it's a royal pain in the ass to contain.

That all actually sounds like fun, which gives you some idea of how exciting my life is currently.

I doubt that the bamboo will mess with the pool filtration system, the 2 skimmers are at the opposite end of the pool from the bamboo, about 30' away.  The rest is plumbing that goes into the filter pump in the garage, another 25' away.

1 hour ago, Ed Lada said:

I doubt that the bamboo will mess with ............

famouse laste wordes..............                          :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

there are clumping variations of bamboo as opposed to running...  know the difference when you're planting... i have a clumping  variety that potentially get to 40' or more..   so far only see it get about 25'

53 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

there are clumping variations of bamboo as opposed to running...  know the difference when you're planting... i have a clumping  variety that potentially get to 40' or more..   so far only see it get about 25'

Cane macke fisheng polles, valuabelle fisheng polles...........              :)

1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

Cane macke fisheng polles, valuabelle fisheng polles...........              :)

yeah, when I cut tall canes down, I leave them on the curb, they don't last long

11 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Yeah, “It’ll be different this time.”

20 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

when we had the neighbor from hell , wife had bought a bunch of bamboo which he said was clumping,  put down the bamboo barrier around the 8'x40' plot next to the driveway...  fucker lied... had to dig all that shit out and i dug 3'x8'x40' out to get every last runner and root out of that area..  definitely not a happy man...   now have a clumping variety i got for free from a friend.. not a problem since

IMG_0148.JPG

It was raining on and off today and it made the garden look quite nice.

Garden scene.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Garden scene.jpg

Nice toad pagoda! (Do you have toads in Poland?)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Garden scene.jpg

At our wedding the photographer loved the massive overcast cloudy day we had.  All the colors popped direct sunlight makes things look muted as the sun washes the colors out.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, peragrin said:

At our wedding the photographer loved the massive overcast cloudy day we had.  All the colors popped direct sunlight makes things look muted as the sun washes the colors out.

That's exactly what caught my eye and inspired me to make the photo.  Everything was so green and the little flowers added a nice touch.

9 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Nice toad pagoda! (Do you have toads in Poland?)

We do have toads here but I rarely see them. 

2 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

We do have toads here but I rarely see them. 

Have you looked in your pagoda?

57 minutes ago, Black Sox said:

Have you looked in your pagoda?

Hadn't thought about it.  I'll check it out.  

Toad in the hole?  ;)

• Like 1

Toads love little covered areas. My 3 legged toad friend, Walter (I'm afraid I'm probably the cause of his amputation) likes to dwell under an upside down pottery dish near the water valve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

Toads love little covered areas. My 3 legged toad friend, Walter (I'm afraid I'm probably the cause of his amputation) likes to dwell under an upside down pottery dish near the water valve.

He sondes recklesse........ tacke no blamme, he ist runneng on the edges of life.............              :)

2 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

He sondes recklesse........ tacke no blamme, he ist runneng on the edges of life.............              :)

I try to keep an eye out for toads, and frogs when I'm mowing. Apparently I missed Walter by a foot.... or a half a leg.

1 minute ago, Mrleft8 said:
2 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

I try to keep an eye out for toads, and frogs when I'm mowing. Apparently I missed Walter by a foot.... or a half a leg.

the mowere blade wase juste anorther edge or darre to hime.                           :)       

12 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

the mowere blade wase juste anorther edge or darre to hime.                           :)       

I made him a pair of  toad sized crutches, but he doesn't use them.... Maybe he's more of a cane toad.....

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

I made him a pair of  toad sized crutches, but he doesn't use them.... Maybe he's more of a cane toad.....

Well played!

I hear Melania T. has some great tips on renovating a rose garden.  Just saying......  :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Burning Man said:

I hear Melania T. has some great tips on renovating a rose garden.  Just saying......  :ph34r:

Third time's the charm.  Her first garden was dug 3 weeks later due to it dying off

On 9/5/2020 at 7:10 AM, Snaggletooth said:

Just what I was thinking, as I remembered a 20 year war on bamboo...

FKT