danstanford

J/88 top batten hooking on backstay

Hi Everybody, I have a new to me J/88 with North Sails and we have an ongoing problem with the top batten (not the diagonal one) hanging up on the backstay in lighter winds. If I let the backstay right off and then shake the boom and the backstay I can get it to go through but this is a vexing issue especially when short handed as there aren't enough hands to spare time and attention to this when tacking. 

- Does everyone have this issue or just us? 

-If so, are you in the habit of letting the backstay off when tacking? 

-would a thinner batten help? The sail didn't have a batten so I got one from a sailmaker and it is pretty stout.

-any other suggestions? 

Thanks,

Dan 

Never sail the 88, but I sailed the 80 and 90, so do as you wish with these comments.

1. If it only hangs up in winds less than 10 or so knots, your backstay should be totally eased, so your question of letting the backstay off does not apply.

2. Call North. The sails I ordered from them used to come with two top battens (maybe it was just our local loft that did this), a light wind one and a regular one. A more flexible batten will help.

3. Check the batten tension. Ease it until you see vertical wrinkles appear, then tighten it just enough to remove the wrinkles. Write down your settings for light, medium and heavy i.e. n full turns from fully loose, assuming a screw type tensioner.

4. Check your rig setting per the N tuning guide (including headstay length,  butt position, etc.)

5. Maybe that is the reason it did not come with that batten :ph34r:

• Like 1

Flicker or roller at the top.  On the 80s and 105s I race on we Just got in the habit of pushing it by in light air. 

I have a flicker but with any backstay on it loses some of its effectiveness. As Varan notes above, above 10 knots it is less of a problem for sure.

I really think that top batten is too stiff as you cannot just push it through unless the backstay is right off and the flicker straight out. 

I have North 3Di on the J30 and the original batten was a problem in sub 6 kts in every tack or gybe. Switched to a softer batten (without taper however) and problem solved. Easy fix. Try that first.

On 9/3/2020 at 2:27 PM, danstanford said:

Hi Everybody, I have a new to me J/88 with North Sails and we have an ongoing problem with the top batten (not the diagonal one) hanging up on the backstay in lighter winds. If I let the backstay right off and then shake the boom and the backstay I can get it to go through but this is a vexing issue especially when short handed as there aren't enough hands to spare time and attention to this when tacking. 

- Does everyone have this issue or just us? 

-If so, are you in the habit of letting the backstay off when tacking? 

-would a thinner batten help? The sail didn't have a batten so I got one from a sailmaker and it is pretty stout.

-any other suggestions? 

Thanks,

Dan 

Dan, I make sails for the 88 class.  What we have done is make the full batten load from the front and cover the leech end with a Teflon woven tape.  We also went to a lighter batten (rbs 15180) which helps as well.

If it does catch put vang and or Cunningham on and it should pop with 1 pull.  We generally only have issues in super light tacks and somewhat light gybes.

• Like 2