scorp 48

Modified Young 88

Hi guys. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of tricking up the evergreen Young 88 design eg bow sprit, different keel new mast etc etc. 

I know there’s a lot of better boats out there but for the cost, rating and size they still seem very appealing for such an old design

Appreciate any advice or  info.

Cheers 

I've sailed on and against both modified and standard Y88s. (keels and/or masts.)

Found the standard ones to be just as quick as the modified ones, though harder to keep in the groove.

No, but I can't really see the point.

• Like 1

There was a long running thread here on Young 8.4s with a lot of information about modifications. I know the 8.4 and 8.8 are different boats, but there may be something of interest there.

The search function is playing silly buggers again so I can't find the thread now. Good luck. 

A carbon rudder is the fastest and easiest mod. The current ones are barn doors.

If you wanted a real orphan you could put on a carbon stick c/w MH gear and a baby prod for C0s. 

We have a class 88 however have fitted a removable bowsprit for an A sail and code 0 makes a huge difference. It’s a Seldon bowsprit kit so easily removable

Cheers mate. Thanks for the feedback. 
Small prodder and carbon stick would make it a real weapon  off the breeze 

4 hours ago, monosailor said:

We have a class 88 however have fitted a removable bowsprit for an A sail and code 0 makes a huge difference. It’s a Seldon bowsprit kit so easily removable

Cheers mate. Any chance you have any pics of your set up please??