Sign in to follow this  
bigorangething

COVineyard2020

Recommended Posts

No smack?

who will run out of food, water or diesel before the finish?

Does Aldo’s have a plan to restock needy boats with masks on?

will anyone stop for mudslides at the Oar?

what fantom boat will play chicken with a tug boat?  I can’t wait to monitor 16 around midnight Friday or late Saturday afternoon 

lets gooo!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will Argo beat their own record ? 
Will WW the Pac  52  Beat the monohull record ? 
who’s going to fly an illegal FFH ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went out and saw the fleet headed outbound this afternoon w/chutes up in a nice westerly, going with the tide off MiddleGround.   Wind shifted to NW later.  Coming back may be slower. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do they call it the Vineyard Race? It does not go to the Vineyard nor Vineyard Sound. Are they growing grapes on the Buzzard Bay Tower now?

BTW the in the real Vineyard race they let you use your engine. Maybe they should start letting you guys do that also. You can motor into BI for the Aldo's pickup and motor back out. Only a 15 min penalty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, woodpecker said:

Why do they call it the Vineyard Race? It does not go to the Vineyard nor Vineyard Sound. Are they growing grapes on the Buzzard Bay Tower now?

BTW the in the real Vineyard race they let you use your engine. Maybe they should start letting you guys do that also. You can motor into BI for the Aldo's pickup and motor back out. Only a 15 min penalty.

Back in the Golden Age of Yachting it went to the Vinyaad.  I think  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the lightship that preceded the Tower was Hen and Chickens. Great name for a race, don't you think?

 

 

085 Hens & Chickens LS.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What looks like another light-wind night.  Hope they all brought Sunday breakfast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, PaulK said:

What looks like another light-wind night.  Hope they all brought Sunday breakfast. 

This is a blatantly untrue and fake news (for the faster boats anyway) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Half the fleet is still out there.  Some have only just worked though the Gut, according to Kattack.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Breakfast, anyone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Cristoforo said:

Ripple scored RET!  Anyone heard from  them? All ok?  :o 

Crew and I are all safe. Boat not so much. Long story that involves Big Tom B) ( no I was not at the helm.  ) Insurance claim is in I’m just taking it day by day now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, dacapo said:

Crew and I are all safe. Boat not so much. Long story that involves Big Tom B) ( no I was not at the helm.  ) Insurance claim is in I’m just taking it day by day now

Holy shit!  Ed move this to the front page!

So you never started? Because they scored you RET rather than DNS  or DNC  

If you started and then hit Big Tom there is a bigger story here! 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Cristoforo said:

Holy shit!  Ed move this to the front page!

So you never started? Because they scored you RET rather than DNS  or DNC  

If you started and then hit Big Tom there is a bigger story here! 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

We tapped it on the way out to the start. We started with our fleet. It was apparent after about an hour and a half that we were taking more and more water on in the bilge. And that the safety of the crew was more important, so we retired somewhere around Norwalk Turned around and did a 23 hour delivery back up to Hudson to haul out 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A rock so infamous that it has a name that indicates its danger to sailors with keels.

New rule: Only helmsmen that know the name of big tom are allowed to drive near it

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, dacapo said:

Crew and I are all safe. Boat not so much. Long story that involves Big Tom B) ( no I was not at the helm.  ) Insurance claim is in I’m just taking it day by day now

I told you in the thread about the boat delivery, you were wasting your time getting your boat ready for the Vineyard.

You should have taken the paid delivery gig.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, jackolantern said:

A rock so infamous that it has a name that indicates its danger to sailors with keels.

New rule: Only helmsmen that know the name of big tom are allowed to drive near it

 

Only wing nuts hit it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, jesposito said:

 Only wing nuts hit it

I recall standing next to you watching a Big Tom victim get hauled out at consolidated. That owner then became a J/111 Wingnut

Do you think the Consolidated yard guys move it around to keep the victim count high in the same way Howie McMichael used to move Ship Rock around Mamaroneck Harbor?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Decapo hasse a J105?

long time ago ;-) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dacapo said:
59 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Decapo hasse a J105?

long time ago ;-) 

OK, so you WN foire life?                                               :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Snaggletooth said:

OK, so you WN foire life?                                               :)

is that a new NY lottery scratch off?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, jackolantern said:

Howie McMichael used to move Ship Rock around Mamaroneck Harbor?

Thats nothing.  Stu Johnstone left it where it was and drove customer's boats into it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, jackolantern said:

I recall standing next to you watching a Big Tom victim get hauled out at consolidated. That owner then became a J/111 Wingnut

Do you think the Consolidated yard guys move it around to keep the victim count high in the same way Howie McMichael used to move Ship Rock around Mamaroneck Harbor?

Yes, very true.

Oh there are many wing nuts out there besides the 105 wing nuts, they are just a high content

No I think the guys at Consolidated have an arrow point to go behind Stepping Stones to get the idiot in the big motor boat on auto pilot to go east behind the light house.

That does way more damage that Big Tom

Only idiots hit that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jesposito said:

Yes, very true.

Oh there are many wing nuts out there besides the 105 wing nuts, they are just a high content

No I think the guys at Consolidated have an arrow point to go behind Stepping Stones to get the idiot in the big motor boat on auto pilot to go east behind the light house.

That does way more damage that Big Tom

Only idiots hit that

Like when the west coast cowboy on American Girl drilled it at flank speed, 99% of the way back from Bermuda 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LI_sailor said:

Where exactly is this rock?  

Just a bit below the surface

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, jackolantern said:

Like when the west coast cowboy on American Girl drilled it at flank speed, 99% of the way back from Bermuda 

Yep

It is a straight run right behind the lighthouse after coming under the bridge.

Something would tell me to look at a chart before going back there.

Just saying  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, jesposito said:

Yep

It is a straight run right behind the lighthouse after coming under the bridge.

Something would tell me to look at a chart before going back there.

Just saying  

Sammy's Fish Box. Is that Eddddd's girlfriend? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, got it.  I dont usually sail over there ... but any rock that takes out a SA'er ... makes me want to know where it is, so it doesn't happen to me !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LI_sailor said:

Ah, got it.  I dont usually sail over there ... but any rock that takes out a SA'er ... makes me want to know where it is, so it doesn't happen to me !

There Is no reason for you to go over there.  The moose hall is not what it used to be. The Starship sailed away to another galaxy long ago. Dead! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jesposito said:

Something would tell me to look at a chart before going back there.

Just saying  

You thick the impacte mooved it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2020 at 2:34 PM, jesposito said:

Yep

It is a straight run right behind the lighthouse after coming under the bridge.

Something would tell me to look at a chart before going back there.

Just saying  

Isn’t  Espo At the rally tonight?

Wear  your mask Espo! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2020 at 1:17 PM, PaulK said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Tom,_Bronx

Not on Google maps - use NOAA

 

well, i don't really go down there much, but i looked at my chart and it looks like that is an east cardinal mark near it

i don't understand why cardinal marks are not used more frequently in the USA - in europe, they are all over the place .., some areas at least...

they are so uncommon in these waters that one could be forgiven for not recognizing it in this case.

i rarely see isolated danger marks either

I think buoyage could be a lot better in the USA

edit - now i'm not sure it's a cardinal mark

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, us7070 said:

well, i don't really go down there much, but i looked at my chart and it looks like that is an east cardinal mark near it

i don't understand why cardinal marks are not used more frequently in the USA - in europe, they are all over the place .., some areas at least...

they are so uncommon in these waters that one could be forgiven for not recognizing it in this case.

i rarely see isolated danger marks either

I think buoyage could be a lot better in the USA

 

Yeah  we better get someone on that. Everywhere around there is less than 15

 feet. Need more Isolated Danger and Cardinal Marks surrounding the  Moose Hall .
Bernie Sanders would have done it!

How do you feel about single payer health care?    

big tom.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, us7070 said:

i don't understand why cardinal marks are not used more frequently in the USA 

In USA it tackes 30 - 50 yeares foire them to die...............

20100330ChrismMassGLT016.jpg

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

In USA it tackes 30 - 50 yeares foire them to die...............

20100330ChrismMassGLT016.jpg

:)

I think they require a vote.And then white smoke once they are approved 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this