LakeBoy

Getting a boat back in the USA from Canada

My relapsing remitting sailing bug is on the upswing again.  As evidence I may be crazy, I am considering a 25 YO boat that just came up on the market.  It has been on my short list for awhile.  (maybe I need to update the list & budget)  The boat is a 23 Ft (7 M) trailerable.  

Challenge is this particular boat is in Canada and I am in the US.

A surveyor to look at it for me is fairly easy to find.  (recommendations accepted, boat is in London, Ontario, CA)

Transportation should be reasonably easy to line up.  My thinking is that this could be a back haul for someone delivering RVs from Indiana factories to Canada.  Possibly a U-Ship deal.  I could also ask the seller to deliver to the US side of the border and meet them in Detroit if the logistics of a place to make the exchange can be sorted.

Need help with customs paperwork.  The boat and trailer were originally manufactured in the US which may help.  Looking for recommendations on resources to help understand and sort out required paperwork and costs of re-importing the boat & trailer.    

How are you going to get it?  Border is still closed to USA.

The border is closed, so as you say trucking it is your only real option.
The companies that you talk with about trucking should be able to assist with the paperwork.
There will likely be more paperwork related to the trailer than the boat itself.

1 hour ago, kcolborne said:

The border is closed, so as you say trucking it is your only real option.
The companies that you talk with about trucking should be able to assist with the paperwork.
There will likely be more paperwork related to the trailer than the boat itself.

Not if they carry both trailer an boat on the truck.

The border isn't closed to shipments of goods. Otherwise how do we get our avocadoes?

When I imported a Canadian boat into the US, they wanted proof it was manufactured in Canada. It was a 1976 so pre HIN. A faded magazine article about the boat being built in BC convinced them. So have something to give to the trucking company.  Otherwise if built out of Canada/US you'll attract duty.

I am in London area.  I know a couple local(ish) surveyors if you need.  Seller will not be able to deliver to Detroit without self isolating upon return.

Andrews Trucking delivers boats and maybe able to fit it on if they are heading to pick one up or if the other one is small enough.

Built in the US in 1995 so there should be a HIN. 

There are a number of customs brokers in the Detroit / Windsor area.  They may be super swamped serving their larger / recurring customers with all the tariff going ons.  Should I look to a Marine Documentation agency for support on the paperwork?  I'll also check with Andrews Trucking.  

I’ll second the recommendation on Andrews Trucking. I used to sell sailboats.  We used Andrews for virtually all of our Canadian work.  
As for a documentation service, there is nothing they can do for you that you can’t do for yourself assuming the Canadian seller has the necessary paperwork.  But for peace of mind a documentation service potentially removes one burden from your shoulders.  But make sure you use one that has experience In getting Canadian boats registered/titled/documented (3 different things) in the US and the state where the boat is going to be.

• Like 1

Thanks for the assistance everyone.  Still working out details to know if I should pull the trigger or keep looking.  Have learned the boat is actually in Grand Bend.  The owner has suggested transiting the border in Sarina instead of Detroit.  Not sure if that opens up any new options for support in handling the documentation and making the physical exchange / border crossing.  Keep the suggestions coming.

Sarnia way is better than Detroit. Send a PM to Peacefrog. That is his area and he will have the best contacts.

Good luck.

On 9/4/2020 at 7:56 AM, JEA said:

How are you going to get it?  Border is still closed to USA.

Wait until  Nov 4, Covid will be gone and boarder will be open 

I need a TRAILERABLE boat trailered over the border. (Vancouver BC > WA)

As apparently Canadians can cross, but we can't... How crazy.

Who's up for it?

Otherwise I am waiting for my new boat until the damn border opens and I can drive up 100 miles to retrieve the damn thing :blink:

1 hour ago, Floating Duck said:

I need a TRAILERABLE boat trailered over the border. (Vancouver BC > WA)

As apparently Canadians can cross, but we can't... How crazy.

Who's up for it?

Otherwise I am waiting for my new boat until the damn border opens and I can drive up 100 miles to retrieve the damn thing :blink:

What boat? 

35 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

What boat? 

Diam 24 and I really would like to sail it... this year :lol:

Only weighs like 2k lbs on a trailer, most cars can pull that. I just need someone to get it across the damn border hahaha

Fingers crossed for the border opening on the 21st... mmmmmhm.

9 hours ago, Rum Runner said:

Just move to Canada. You will be happier there.

Yeah, have thought of that.  My SO was actually looking at a job with a Canadian outfit.  (remote work potential) 

Update, the Seller let me know he has accepted another offer.  Guess I am off the hook for figuring out the paperwork and logistics, at least for now.

Corresponded with StarBoatGuy.  Rick cannot cross the border at this time either.  He forwarded my message to John at Latis Yachting Solutions today.  

Reached out to Andrews Trucking as well but have yet to hear back.

1 hour ago, LakeBoy said:

Update, the Seller let me know he has accepted another offer.  Guess I am off the hook for figuring out the paperwork and logistics, at least for now.

Corresponded with StarBoatGuy.  Rick cannot cross the border at this time either.  He forwarded my message to John at Latis Yachting Solutions today.  

Reached out to Andrews Trucking as well but have yet to hear back.

Something to keep in mind the Canadian border is closed until probably January 1, 2021, maybe longer.  The US border should re-open on September 22, 2020.  What that means is Canadians will legally be allowed to enter the US on Sept 22, but may have to self-isolate for 14 days upon their return to Canada.  Americans will still not be able to enter Canada.

MS

On 9/4/2020 at 6:30 AM, kcolborne said:

A while back I sold my 2 2.4mR, trailer, assorted sails, parts and masts to a Canadian that was starting a disabled sailing thing on a lake.

He drove down, I signed the papers filed with the Calif DMV release of liability and he drove away. He did not even spend the night.

Paper work is for government bureaucrats. What would we do without them?