BaySailor65

FARR 727 INFO

Looking for Info on the FARR 727's that had their Transoms redesigned and any other work they had done.

Any info on these boats would be great, photos as well would be appreciated.

Thanks. 

Known as the Northstar 727 when built in Canada. https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/north-star-727-farr?units=metric

Descended from the Farr 727, i.e 45 Deg South that won the QT Cup in 1975.  Sistership Genie placed well too.

Article on the kiwi 727s in the RB Sailing blog-site: http://rbsailing.blogspot.com/2013/06/45-south-and-farr-727-farr-quarter.html

Likes some wind but a bit short on SA to be competitive in light air venues - i.e. 1976 QT Cup in Corpus Christi Texas where several showed up but did not fare very well against the likes of: Magic Bus, Business Machine, and Fun.

Thanks for the Info so far.

Does anyone know who owns the boats that had the Transoms re worked.

I remember seeing photos of them quite awhile ago on here but searches have brought up nothing.

A friend of mine has one in Toronto with a completely re done cockpit and open transom. I will try to get a picture of it Wednesday.

That would be great.

If you could get a few different pictures from different angles, it would be appreciated.

Could you also ask if he has any info on the Cockpit Update, if he did it or the previous owner.

Thanks 

14 hours ago, BaySailor65 said:

That would be great.

If you could get a few different pictures from different angles, it would be appreciated.

Could you also ask if he has any info on the Cockpit Update, if he did it or the previous owner.

Thanks 

A previous owner did the mods.

39 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

large.20200909_161320.jpg.9f045519736e64fd99db994a2ad5b6a5.jpglarge.20200909_161312.jpg.97313821868c0e53e8229cf3c8feb1cb.jpglarge.20200909_161305.jpg.f75d0b97707ff31649ccbd9e2f68f3f9.jpg

Gary Larson is a yachtie??

Waikikamukau.thumb.jpg.eac4add0a51ecf8cd931e09f377ed60b.jpg

One of the original 727's, Waikikamukau seen here back on the trailer after winning an Australian Quarter Ton Championship back in the day. Bill (red pants) Lawler, Hugh and Ian Treharne standing on the deck. Fourth crew member was now acclaimed author Rob Mundle. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Great Name ...my uncle had a farm out that way over the back of hutamanuka 

13 minutes ago, SPORTSCAR said:

One of the original 727's, Waikikamukau seen here back on the trailer after winning an Australian Quarter Ton Championship back in the day. Bill (red pants) Lawler, Hugh and Ian Treharne standing on the deck. Fourth crew member was now acclaimed author Rob Mundle. 

The old Laser gelcoat makes me smile every time

17 minutes ago, DickDastardly said:

The old Laser gelcoat makes me smile every time

Likewise, so does that F100. Did a few miles in that thing delivering Lasers around the country.

7 minutes ago, Phil said:

Likewise, so does that F100. Did a few miles in that thing delivering Lasers around the country.

Including this one? Note the careful colour matching. This photo was taken on November 11th 1975, a day that will live in infamy... 

1141944557_CFLaser111175.thumb.jpg.aa21bd5f94193bef1735bad9c714c87d.jpg

On 9/10/2020 at 10:52 AM, SPORTSCAR said:

Including this one? Note the careful colour matching. This photo was taken on November 11th 1975, a day that will live in infamy... 

Now there's a car.  I owned one too.  Mine had fat tyres and Aunger drag mags though.

9 minutes ago, DickDastardly said:

Now there's a car.  I owned one too.  Mine had fat tyres and Aunger drag mags though.

Thread drift - but seeing that word "Aunger" made me post this..1978 no boat on it sorry.

Also wasn't Waikikamukau the boat that was lost off The Heads with loss of life?

Datsun 180B SSS - 1.jpg

Just now, mccroc said:

Thread drift - but seeing that word "Aunger" made me post this..1978 no boat on it sorry.

Also wasn't Waikikamukau the boat that was lost off The Heads with loss of life?

Datsun 180B SSS - 1.jpg

You're always looking for excuses to post the SSS ...

On the second point, yes.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2020 at 5:52 PM, SPORTSCAR said:

Don't leave us hanging.

3 hours ago, DickDastardly said:

The mighty Datsun 1200 Coupe, tons of grunt in that little beast. Precursor to the insipid 120Y

The Laser went everywhere on the roof. Lots of fun at Drive In movies and I hardly ever need the wipers

6 hours ago, DickDastardly said:

In NZ Reg Cook produced a SSS version of the 1200 and 120Y sedans, twin side draught Delorto’s, cam, port & polish, upgrade suspension etc. All sold by the dealer, cool cars and what would they be worth today?

6 hours ago, mccroc said:

Datsun 180B SSS - 1.jpg

Had a white 180B SSS that we turbocharged in the late 80’s, then turbocharged a 1600 Datsun as well. Turbo lag was shocking but above 3,000rpm it was a weapon. 180B SSS had a draw through SU and the 1600 was blow through Weber. Fun times but probably rubbish to drive compared to vehicles of today. 

6 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

Had a white 180B SSS that we turbocharged in the late 80’s, then turbocharged a 1600 Datsun as well. Turbo lag was shocking but above 3,000rpm it was a weapon. 180B SSS had a draw through SU and the 1600 was blow through Weber. Fun times but probably rubbish to drive compared to vehicles of today. 

Ya think?

Those things came from probably the worst era of cars in history.

On 9/9/2020 at 8:11 AM, Ozzy said:

A previous owner did the mods.

Thanks for the photos....

That's it....

Could your friend get you the past owners info and if he can, could you pass it along to me ?

Thanks again.

20 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

The mighty Datsun 1200 Coupe, tons of grunt in that little beast. Precursor to the insipid 120Y

The Laser went everywhere on the roof. Lots of fun at Drive In movies and I hardly ever need the wipers

The 1200 was my first car, before that my Laser went everywhere on top of my mum's Mini Deluxe.  I think I trump you Sporty.  Don't think I have pix sadly. 

2 hours ago, DickDastardly said:

The 1200 was my first car, before that my Laser went everywhere on top of my mum's Mini Deluxe.  I think I trump you Sporty.  Don't think I have pix sadly. 

a 14' boat on top of a 10' car. :lol:

DD you know the rules around here; pics or it never happened.

• Like 1

Back on topic... Another of the originals; Supernova in Melbourne, late 70's.

627890908_Farr727Supernova(1).thumb.jpg.0beaa18bb8e308bcccecb43e645ea0e5.jpg 

5 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

DD you know the rules around here; pics or it never happened.

If you insist...circa 1978.  We still have the car.

Mini.jpg

Mini.jpg

Preparing my concession speech. Good find 

On 9/10/2020 at 10:52 AM, SPORTSCAR said:

My first car was a Datsun Sunny 1200 auto. Sadly I have no photos of it with my Mirror dinghy on the roof.

On 9/12/2020 at 11:14 PM, DickDastardly said:

Mini.jpg

I’m sure roofing it blunt end first did wonders for fuel economy :D

• Like 1

Paging Wal.... He's told a few 727 stories in the past. Interestingly no-one has done the cockpit job on the NZ boats. A few are chopping up the 930s to make them nicer to move around.

I got my license in a 120Y. No towbar. Then went to a Viva to tow around the dinghies. We were 3 in our family.

12 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

I’m sure roofing it blunt end first did wonders for fuel economy :D

There was a reason for that.  I think it had something to do with how the boat was hung in the garage.

On 9/9/2020 at 7:25 PM, Ozzy said:

large.20200909_161320.jpg.9f045519736e64fd99db994a2ad5b6a5.jpglarge.20200909_161312.jpg.97313821868c0e53e8229cf3c8feb1cb.jpglarge.20200909_161305.jpg.f75d0b97707ff31649ccbd9e2f68f3f9.jpg

This used to be my boat (Slapshot) from 1998 through 2006.  A friend of mine who was the previous owner did the modification and at the time of mods it was called "Cookies Monster".  Another friend had the molds made and did his 727 first.  That boat is called "Gonzo" and it is still in Port Stanley.

Attached is a picture of Gonzo docked beside another unmodified 727 from a month or so ago.

Great boats in especially in a breeze.  Sailed on Gonzo a couple times this summer while I was in between boats brought back good memories.

If your looking for the molds they were destroyed many years ago.   There was another open transom 727 out of Sarnia years ago called Lunatic Fringe.  It was done with different molds and had a modified keel as well.  No idea where it went.

Gonzo.jpg

While on the subject of Northstar 727s, I’m currently restoring one on Vancouver Island. Can any of you tell me if the keel studs are threaded into the keel or attached some other way. I’ve got to replace the furthest aft stud. Many thanks!

Here is Lunatic, still racing in Sarnia. This boat has a Glenn Henderson designed Keel and Rudder as well.

OK How the heck do I attached a couple pictures?

Love these boats. So nice to see the resto mods too.  Any pics of the Hendo keel?

3 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

Love these boats. So nice to see the resto mods too.  Any pics of the Hendo keel?

Give me a few weeks when it comes out and I will.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NoahfromVictoria said:

While on the subject of Northstar 727s, I’m currently restoring one on Vancouver Island. Can any of you tell me if the keel studs are threaded into the keel or attached some other way. I’ve got to replace the furthest aft stud. Many thanks!

This from Facebook NZ

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Farr727/posts/

992985_156296224558800_1628061876_n.png?

Hi Team, if anyone needs new keel bolts made up and info for the process of putting them in, you can PM me to find out more.

No photo description available.
No photo description available.

Comments
Oldest

• Jack Wells
    Jack Wells Who has the info on the removal of the 727 keel bolts 
    Cheers Jack Wells

1 hour ago, BBender said:

This from Facebook NZ

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Farr727/posts/

992985_156296224558800_1628061876_n.png?

Hi Team, if anyone needs new keel bolts made up and info for the process of putting them in, you can PM me to find out more.

Comments
Oldest

• Jack Wells
    Jack Wells Who has the info on the removal of the 727 keel bolts 
    Cheers Jack Wells

Looks like a very useful link for Farr 727 owners....

11 hours ago, NoahfromVictoria said:

...however maybe not so much for owners of Northstar 727s which according to Noah have an entirely different keel bolt arrangement (inline vs paired). 

There is another recent thread where he poses a similar question and has a photo of the in-line keel bolts.

1 hour ago, 12 metre said:

Looks like a very useful link for Farr 727 owners....

...however maybe not so much for owners of Northstar 727s which according to Noah have an entirely different keel bolt arrangement (inline vs paired). 

There is another recent thread where he poses a similar question and has a photo of the in-line keel bolts.

Didn’t know that . 

I never had to deal with the bolts personally, but recall another who did.  He could not find a bolt head like what yours had. He ended up renting a mag drill and drilling out the old bolt, then tapping for a slightly oversized new bolt.  I don’t remember if he ended up with a 9/16 or 5/8 when done. Was messy and time consuming but worked well. To hold the mag drill he Clamped a steel plate down using an adjacent keel bolts  

5 hours ago, Slap Shot said:

I never had to deal with the bolts personally, but recall another who did.  He could not find a bolt head like what yours had. He ended up renting a mag drill and drilling out the old bolt, then tapping for a slightly oversized new bolt.  I don’t remember if he ended up with a 9/16 or 5/8 when done. Was messy and time consuming but worked well. To hold the mag drill he Clamped a steel plate down using an adjacent keel bolts  

This is great info. Thanks.

Couple sailing shots from tonight. They need to work on sail trim :) spinnaker a little Betty Crokered :) 

E7AA110B-B8FD-4AA8-94C8-F04D99DABBA6.jpeg

93C4F246-B676-4673-B3B5-0ED6F47C6DC6.jpeg

00BD460D-CD96-4246-89ED-8694F11F202B.jpeg

3 hours ago, sailordude69 said:

Kite looks like they lifted it from a bunch 1 of  420 sailors!

FIFY.

On 9/15/2020 at 9:35 PM, Peacefrog said:

Give me a few weeks when it comes out and I will.

Thanks for the photos...giving me some good ideas on what I will do.

I'm definitely interested in seeing the Keel and Rudder photos.

Is Henderson still designing ?

Will look at reaching out to him regarding the Keel and Rudder Designs and what that cost would be, as I want to change them.

I also want to add a stationary Sprit about 2 / 3 feet off of the Bow.

11 hours ago, sailordude69 said:

Kite looks like they lifted it from a bunch of 420 sailors!

It's an old Soling reacher. I think he is doing a new one over the winter.

1 hour ago, Peacefrog said:

It's an old Soling reacher. I think he is doing a new one over the winter.

I thought that looked like a Billy kite.  Lots of those around.