LarryE

Velocitek Speed Puck

Recommended Posts

Anyone know of a dealer, in the US, that has one in stock.

I think I have called everyone and everyone is out of stock. Not getting any until maybe early Dec.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Minor thread hijack, but does anyone have any recommendations for iPhone or Apple Watch apps to get SOG? They both have GPS in them and there are apps that will give you driving, etc speed but not sure how well they'd work for sailing. Giving the speed to the nearest MPH or two every so often is good enough for a car, but in sailing we're interested in speed down to fractions of a knot up to several times a second. Yeah I know a speedpuck is better if you want to watch your speed over the course of a race, but a 99 cent app is a hell of a lot cheaper for occasional use, e.g., when you want to check a setting change or how you're doing vs target speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ordkhntr said:

WM shows 3 in stock online

Where did you see this ? I checked and what I see is, we no longer carry this product.

They have 2 Pro Starts in stock, not what I'm looking for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cashelmore said:

Minor thread hijack, but does anyone have any recommendations for iPhone or Apple Watch apps to get SOG? They both have GPS in them and there are apps that will give you driving, etc speed but not sure how well they'd work for sailing. Giving the speed to the nearest MPH or two every so often is good enough for a car, but in sailing we're interested in speed down to fractions of a knot up to several times a second. Yeah I know a speedpuck is better if you want to watch your speed over the course of a race, but a 99 cent app is a hell of a lot cheaper for occasional use, e.g., when you want to check a setting change or how you're doing vs target speed.

qtVlm has a field for SoG, but I haven't tested it in motion. Instead, I stow my iPhone when sailing and use a Garmin Foretrex 601. Fun device on small boats or beercaning with limited instruments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

Speed puck is yesterday. I have one and I wish I had the new Velocitek shit.

We agree that the new ProStart is pretty sweet. But the SpeedPuck is still a great device! It's undergoing a bit of a overhaul at the moment and SpeedPucks should be available again late 2020 or early 2021.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, velocitek said:

We agree that the new ProStart is pretty sweet. But the SpeedPuck is still a great device! It's undergoing a bit of a overhaul at the moment and SpeedPucks should be available again late 2020 or early 2021.

The Puck is a great device, but very simple. I use it on my boat and my Blokart. I've had it for quite some time. Probably the fastest a Puck has gone, short of a car.
Lots of Blokart sailors use the ProStart. When approaching the line at 25 to 40 mph speed and distance is pretty important.

Money is always an issue too. Some of these devices are pretty pricy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2020 at 2:17 AM, Cashelmore said:

Minor thread hijack, but does anyone have any recommendations for iPhone or Apple Watch apps to get SOG? They both have GPS in them and there are apps that will give you driving, etc speed but not sure how well they'd work for sailing. Giving the speed to the nearest MPH or two every so often is good enough for a car, but in sailing we're interested in speed down to fractions of a knot up to several times a second. Yeah I know a speedpuck is better if you want to watch your speed over the course of a race, but a 99 cent app is a hell of a lot cheaper for occasional use, e.g., when you want to check a setting change or how you're doing vs target speed.

I use Race Master - works well for me.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/race-master-sail-timer-speed/id995452178 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2020 at 1:17 PM, Cashelmore said:

Minor thread hijack, but does anyone have any recommendations for iPhone or Apple Watch apps to get SOG? They both have GPS in them and there are apps that will give you driving, etc speed but not sure how well they'd work for sailing. Giving the speed to the nearest MPH or two every so often is good enough for a car, but in sailing we're interested in speed down to fractions of a knot up to several times a second. Yeah I know a speedpuck is better if you want to watch your speed over the course of a race, but a 99 cent app is a hell of a lot cheaper for occasional use, e.g., when you want to check a setting change or how you're doing vs target speed.

iphone you can get  iregatta 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2020 at 11:44 AM, LarryE said:

Anyone know of a dealer, in the US, that has one in stock.

I think I have called everyone and everyone is out of stock. Not getting any until maybe early Dec.

at nearly any given time you can find one on eBay.

Pucks are nice, but they dont last forever and after a couple years velocitek won't service it but will sell you another one at a discount (not thru dealer)

Pro-Starts are way better but if simple is good enough then buy a Shift and be done with it.  No batteries, they hold a charge forever as the solar panel is amazing.   having owned a couple of each of the above models, the shift seems most reliable / not glitchy and the no-batteries thing to me has huge appeal as the speed puck EATS batteries super fast and AA's are always missing when ya need em

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 1sailor said:

at nearly any given time you can find one on eBay.

Pucks are nice, but they dont last forever and after a couple years velocitek won't service it but will sell you another one at a discount (not thru dealer)

Pro-Starts are way better but if simple is good enough then buy a Shift and be done with it.  No batteries, they hold a charge forever as the solar panel is amazing.   having owned a couple of each of the above models, the shift seems most reliable / not glitchy and the no-batteries thing to me has huge appeal as the speed puck EATS batteries super fast and AA's are always missing when ya need em

you can't, they were discontinued...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2020 at 8:39 AM, velocitek said:

We agree that the new ProStart is pretty sweet. But the SpeedPuck is still a great device! It's undergoing a bit of a overhaul at the moment and SpeedPucks should be available again late 2020 or early 2021.

have you discontinued the Shift?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Raked Aft\\ said:

have you discontinued the Shift?

 

 

Yes, the Shift has been discontinued. We were not able to produce the Shift in economical batch sizes so we had to end production. If you're looking for a Velocitek compass, check out the new ProStart and the Prism!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Raked Aft\\ said:

thx,

 does the new prostart have heel angle display?

Yes, the new ProStart has heel angle displayed in the bar graph. When COG is selected as the direction output, the heel angle feature is disabled.

Heel angle is also recorded in the ProStart’s data storage. Heel to starboard is shown as positive degrees. Heel to port is shown as negative degrees.

image.png.50dff1993f0fe7dbf0b3afe3c95628c6.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2020 at 11:44 AM, LarryE said:

Anyone know of a dealer, in the US, that has one in stock.

I think I have called everyone and everyone is out of stock. Not getting any until maybe early Dec.

I think we have two in stock. Shoot me an email - info@sail22.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, velocitek said:

Yes, the new ProStart has heel angle displayed in the bar graph. When COG is selected as the direction output, the heel angle feature is disabled.

Heel angle is also recorded in the ProStart’s data storage. Heel to starboard is shown as positive degrees. Heel to port is shown as negative degrees.

image.png.50dff1993f0fe7dbf0b3afe3c95628c6.png

Would be awesome to have like an "optimal heel" sticker that you can put on the display edge for a quick visual check. 

Boats like an IC37 like to settle out at a certain number so if you had a sticker that you can put on the heel angle that's an easy and quick way to judge your levels

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

can't yuo just tape a transparent labelmazer label on there? (easy fix)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, velocitek said:

Yes, the new ProStart has heel angle displayed in the bar graph. When COG is selected as the direction output, the heel angle feature is disabled.

Heel angle is also recorded in the ProStart’s data storage. Heel to starboard is shown as positive degrees. Heel to port is shown as negative degrees.

image.png.50dff1993f0fe7dbf0b3afe3c95628c6.png

   where did you move the header/lift bar that used to ride along that top edge?

   i use that all the time on my prostart 1.0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Raked Aft\\ said:

   where did you move the header/lift bar that used to ride along that top edge?

   i use that all the time on my prostart 1.0

from over in the Gear Forum

Quote

You can find the full manual for the new ProStart online here. Aside from satellites, the new ProStart does not connect wirelessly to other devices.

and according to it,  there is no longer a shift indicator..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now