MultiThom

Take boat off trailer without screw jack stands

I have a pretty light boat (1000 pounds).  I want to wax the bottom occasionally (sailboat-trimaran).  Don't want to spend 1000 dollars on the brunnell system which I'm sure would work.

I think I could do the following process pretty easily, but don't want to break the boat--so helpful tips welcome.

Step 

1. chock the wheels and lower the bow all the way with trailer wheel jack-the stern lifts 
  2. support the stern with stands, one on each side or a heavy duty sawhorse with a cradle built for the stern.
  3. Ensure nothing is holding the boat to the trailer except gravity 
  4. using trailer wheel jack, jack the trailer up (stern should lift off the bunk)
  5. Using tall jack stands on either side (or sawhorses) and a long bar, support the bow far enough apart so trailer is removeable
  6. lower the trailer wheel jack-boat should remain supported off the trailer.  

I am a little concerned at step 4 that the boat may try to slide and off the stern support or the support(s) themselves might topple.

If anyone has a simpler suggestion, I'd appreciate the thoughts.

52 minutes ago, MultiThom said:

I have a pretty light boat (1000 pounds).  I want to wax the bottom occasionally (sailboat-trimaran).  Don't want to spend 1000 dollars on the brunnell system which I'm sure would work.

I think I could do the following process pretty easily, but don't want to break the boat--so helpful tips welcome.

Step 

1. chock the wheels and lower the bow all the way with trailer wheel jack-the stern lifts 
  2. support the stern with stands, one on each side or a heavy duty sawhorse with a cradle built for the stern.
  4. using trailer wheel jack, jack the trailer up (stern should lift off the bunk)
  5. Using tall jack stands on either side (or sawhorses) and a long bar, support the bow far enough apart so trailer is removeable

I am a little concerned at step 4 that the boat may try to slide and off the stern support or the support(s) themselves might topple.

support it, let air out of the tires?

Tie boat to tree. Unstrap from trailer.

Gun it.

Just like removing a tablecloth with dishes on top.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zonker said:

Tie boat to tree. Unstrap from trailer.

Gun it.

Just like removing a tablecloth with dishes on top.

video it ...

Zonker's right,:lol:

But for a novice I'd say pulling out slower and land the hulls on saw horses as its pulled off of the trailer might also work.

The youtube views will pay for a new boat anyway.

1. Park the boat on the trailer where you can pull the trailer out from under the boat.

2. Anchor the rear of the boat - tie a rope through the drain holes etc.

3. Pull the winch out and attach to back of car or tree etc.

4. Wind trailer forward, with jockey wheel low so back is high

5. Put stuff under stern. I've used tree logs and old tyres.

6. When you get to the balance point support the gunnels, I used treated pine half logs.

7. Keep winding, when you can get another log or tyres under the area just after the balance point you're done. Wind trailer out of the way.

Did this several times on a 700kg Careel 18.

If you're fucking about under the boat polishing make damn sure it's well supported. A bit of polishing might be just enough to dislodge a stand.

Darwin award in the making.

Your idea will work fine.  I have done the same with a trailer sailor so we could paint all of the bottom.  And if you take the wheels off you will lower the trailer even further.  

The barrels look sturdy but I'm not so sure about the plastic bucket supporting the rudder. Might buckle...

My neighbour has a J22. To antifoul he has a wooden gantry fore and aft with a strap going under the boat. He tightens it all up then let's air out of tyres and removes the wheels. Trailer drops enough to antifoul the keel.

On 9/9/2020 at 3:25 PM, MultiThom said:

Step 

That’s a pretty typical practice for bottom painting trailerable powerboats. I’ve done it probably half a dozen times. I used stacked cinder blocks ( with 2X4’s stuffed down them to hold the stack together) and then some padded 2X10’s to support the boat. Easy and safe. 

Edit: an appropriately sized floor jack works much better than using the trailer wheel jack. Fold that thing out of the way. 

Well, I decided to get screw jacks anyway....but not the boat stands from brunnell--which I've owned in the past and are very good; but overkill for this small boat.  So I bought 3 motorcycle scissor stands each for lifting 1100 pounds.  All three only 150 bucks on ebay.