Sign in to follow this  
lakedude

Sailing tips for rusty sailor getting Topaz Taz?

Got a Topaz Taz coming in a few days (they say) but haven't sailed a boat in perhaps 30 years and never was all that good in the first place. I've been on a sailboard more recently but even then it has been years...

General tips are welcome and Taz specific advice will be most appriciated as well.

Drop a link if you know of a good tutorial.

Yay. It's a hoot. For the grownup, it's a small, tippy boat, so grownup must sit in the middle as much as possible, and you must compensate for any and all body movement with mainsheet. Everything else is same as on a laser or similar.

For the kids, it's a lot more forgiving though same principle applies. Are there shallows in your lake? Teach your kid to sail "solo" by standing with waist-high water, and holding the boat so it doesn't sail away. He can trim, steer, etc - let the boat as "free" as you can. Also create playful capsizes -- and laugh out loud. Capsizes should be a fun game. 

• Like 3

Thanks y'all!

Shallows could be hard to find when the lake is up. With the lake down like it is now, shallows should be pretty easy to find.

Some folks find them the hard way with their motorboats!

Storytime: One year when the lake was low I took a boat full of people over by the shallows so they would know not to drag me over there if they were driving. As I was pointing to the spot where you don't want to go another boat came zooming along and SPLAT right into the barely exposed sandbar almost as if to emphasize my point. One day later I took another group of people to the same spot and proceeded to tell them the story from the day before about the boat that got stuck and as I was pointing and telling them another boat drove full speed up on the same sandbar! 

It is going to be a huge change of pace to actually seek out the shallows, been avoiding em for years.

In 2004, 2005, and 2006 we took our family vacation at Sunsail's Club Colonna on Antigua.  Sadly, it is no longer in operation.   They had a full fleet of RS and Topaz sailboats.   The first photo is of my son Jack and I in 2004, when he was almost 4 years old.   He enjoyed going out int the Taz with me.   By the 3rd year we were there, i was able to begin to let him sail on his own in the Taz.   I stood in the shallows as Martin described above, holding the boat's hull while he 'practiced' steering and pulling in the sail.   Once he understood the mechanics, I tied a long line to the boat and let him sail away on his own.   This was in a protected basin and I could 'reel him in' if need be.   He learned the basics amazingly quickly.   The resort had a kids camp for half the day so the adults could sail or windsurf while the kids were entertained in a group.  It was awesome!   And the camp really helped socialize the kids to watersports  (see the last photo of 5-6 little kids on a Taz).

DJ_-_Taz.jpg

DSC01436.JPG

DSC01397.JPG

• Like 2

My advice. Don’t get taz. They are heavy, uncomfortable and sail badly. Loads of better/nicer boats out there. 
They are ok , just , as a sailing school boat but no one who actually likes sailing should ever buy one privately. :(

• Downvote 1

Xeon where have you been for the last weeks?

Please suggest a specific boat ASAP. Your budget is $3,325 (USD) for a new boat that fits on my dock including shipping to my door, GO!

Crap, it looks like I really don't know how to use the +1 system on the forum.

Okay got the +1 system figured out. Sorry for all the downvotes, they were all mistakes.

Admiral thanks for the link. I knew most of the stuff in the videos that I've watched so far but they have been a great refresher plus I've learned some new tips. For example I've never sailed with a jib before so there was some new information there. Also I never completely knew how to use the air flow tell tails. I knew about the front side tell tails but I never understood the roll of the ones on the backside, till now.

Thanks again!