Mid

Pwned Passwords

Pwned Passwords

Pwned Passwords are 572,611,621 real world passwords previously exposed in data breaches. This exposure makes them unsuitable for ongoing use as they're at much greater risk of being used to take over other accounts. They're searchable online below as well as being downloadable for use in other online systems. Read more about how HIBP protects the privacy of searched passwords.

https://haveibeenpwned.com/Passwords

Seriously?  Go to an unknown site and type in your password to see if it has been compromised.  It certainly will be as soon as you type it in.

Surprised mine is on there.  I thought 1-2-3-4-5 was very unique.

14 hours ago, d'ranger said:

notapassword should be fine.

Only if you spell it N0t4P@5$word! so that you get around the Caps, number, special character, and minimum length restrictions ...

DETOUR:  Can someone explain why I need such a secure password for a magazine subscription as I do for my banking?  Seriously, I wonder why the interwebs don't scale the requirements. If I'm not leaving any personal info on the site, a 4-6 character password is fine (imo), whereas a >12 character password for my banking, etc makes sense to me.  What am I missing?

• Like 2

I like using old credit card numbers as passwords.

Kind of a Fuck You to the hackers.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Seriously?  Go to an unknown site and type in your password to see if it has been compromised.  It certainly will be as soon as you type it in.

it asks for an email id or  id you use to sign in... it scans the list to see if there is a hit...   it is a legit sight...

the funny thing about passwords,   uppercase, special characters, numbers   make no difference in degree of difficulty in getting exposed by a password hacking program..    length is the only factor necessary,   anything longer than 10 character is pretty much secure..

Nine-character passwords take five days to break, 10-character words take four months, and 11-character passwords take 10 years. Make it up to 12 characters, and you're looking at 200 years' worth of security – not bad for one little letter.

6 hours ago, Bowgirl said:

Only if you spell it N0t4P@5$word! so that you get around the Caps, number, special character, and minimum length restrictions ...

DETOUR:  Can someone explain why I need such a secure password for a magazine subscription as I do for my banking?  Seriously, I wonder why the interwebs don't scale the requirements. If I'm not leaving any personal info on the site, a 4-6 character password is fine (imo), whereas a >12 character password for my banking, etc makes sense to me.  What am I missing?

My guess is that, even though you don’t have anything useful on the magazine site, they don’t want to chance data being stolen. It would make them look bad.

Disclaimer: I’m not a lawyer or an IT expert. Some say I’m not even a sailor. 

4 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

Nine-character passwords take five days to break, 10-character words take four months, and 11-character passwords take 10 years. Make it up to 12 characters, and you're looking at 200 years' worth of security – not bad for one little letter.

permutations.

So using my SS# is bad?

perhaps I will add my birthday at the end.  To be safe. 

23 minutes ago, Windward said:

So using my SS# is bad?

perhaps I will add my birthday at the end.  To be safe. 

stick your mothers maiden name in between to be safe

1 hour ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

stick your mothers maiden name in between to be safe

on facebook i see people post the answers to 50 questions surveys..    holy cow talk about giving away information..

• Like 1

OK, so I have a zillion passwords for a zillion different websites.  'Cuz its best to use a different one for each website. 

I have them all written down in a book. 

Can someone tell my why this is good security?  I don't think it is.  No, I will not tell you where I keep that book.  

(Caveat - there is a code to everything written in the book.  It is not as it appears.  That is my security for the book.) 

3 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

on facebook i see people post the answers to 50 questions surveys..    holy cow talk about giving away information..

ayup.. people can be pretty stupid sometimes. Those facebook games and surveys were the source for a lot of Cambridge Analytica data. 

You can get a pretty good psych profile on someone in 20 questions.  A lot of the social media based ************ Briggs like survey thingies were feeds to CA

On 9/11/2020 at 5:32 AM, Mid said:

Pwned Passwords

Pwned Passwords are 572,611,621 real world passwords previously exposed in data breaches. This exposure makes them unsuitable for ongoing use as they're at much greater risk of being used to take over other accounts. They're searchable online below as well as being downloadable for use in other online systems. Read more about how HIBP protects the privacy of searched passwords.

https://haveibeenpwned.com/Passwords

A buddies boat model and name has worked for me......

SanJaun24Tenacity

Wouldn't work as well if it was spelled correctly.

One dated article, many similar out there:  https://www.smh.com.au/technology/the-trick-to-choosing-a-password-thats-easy-to-remember-but-hard-to-crack-20160812-gqr2oe.html

Cool site:  https://howsecureismypassword.net/

Those wearing tinfoil hats may consider the site to be building a very comprehensive database of passwords, sorted by originating IP address, including browser version, OS version and a brief audio/video clip of your living room.

I use a different password for every site and keep those in a database, which is encrypted and secured by a unique password.  Most of my passwords are now sentences/phrases and lines from books.

I'm pretty sure my SA password has something to do with entering the 4th mode.

Can you imagine what Snaggy's passwords must look like? Absolutely unhackable!

• Like 1

You would think that Cyber security would be one of the worlds top issues to solve.
We can survive a warming earth but with without Cyber Security, we are fucked.

On 9/14/2020 at 1:22 PM, On The Hard said:

Can you imagine what Snaggy's passwords must look like? Absolutely unhackable!

His are probably perfectly spelled dictionary words.  Who would expect that from Snags?  

• Like 1