Sign in to follow this  
OPAL

Killer whale!

Recommended Posts

That's pretty crazy. There have been recorded instances of killer whales intentionally sinking yachts but a whole pod of them?  **shudder **

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Zonker said:

That's pretty crazy. There have been recorded instances of killer whales intentionally sinking yachts but a whole pod of them?  **shudder **

Learned behavior in the pod that will most definitely continue too... I wonder what happened. 

Given the number of individual sailing vessels out there - all it needed to happen was one jerk who did something to upset the orcas or fed them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're mostly peaceful protesters.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never heard of anything remotely like that here - and the way people pester them here would give them plenty of justification for it.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

One of the best sea survival stories written —by Douglas Robertson, “Survive the Savage Sea” - recounting their sinking in the 1970s by orcas in the Pacific of their 40 ft wooden sailboat, and subsequent survival of the entire family in a very small boat...

http://www.survivethesavagesea.com/

I read this book years ago and developed a complete loathing for Douglas Robertson mainly because they had the teenage son of a friend with them and treated him horribly once they were in the life raft and dinghy. DR actually punched the teenager for, I think, falling asleep and slumping onto DR's son. I heart broke for that boy who must have been terrified and without his family.

The story was riveting, but I have never got over my loathing.

Tricia

PS We were badly frightened by a whale in the Gulf of Aden. It circled us blowing, then swam at our beam, at speed, and about 15/20m from the boat sounded, swam under us and came up about 10m on the other side. The whale was at least 10m long and our boat is 7.4m. Really, really scary.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Never heard of anything remotely like that here - and the way people pester them here would give them plenty of justification for it.

Spot on. My first thought was one or more had been struck or harassed by boats & they had had enough. Just a guess.

Observing the behavior of the whale watchers up here pisses me off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was an Orcastrated attack!

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

It was an Orcastrated attack!

That sounds very painful.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, AnotherSailor said:

Was the whale white by any chance?

Just asking for a friend.

biracial

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I opened another thread a few days back on the same issue, at least five boats, IIRC, have lost their rudder to these  groups of orcas in the last week around here. Two of them last night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, chuso007 said:

I opened another thread a few days back on the same issue, at least five boats, IIRC, have lost their rudder to these  groups of orcas in the last week around here. Two of them last night.

black&white lives matter

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All lives matter the same to me...

Except those below me on the food chain, of course. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, chuso007 said:

All lives matter the same to me...

Except those below me on the food chain, of course. 

Are orcas above or below you on said chain?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Humans have drastically reduced Tuna stocks which are a primary part of the Orcas diet.

If someone took away my preferred tucker I would be rather pissed too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NYT article this morning interviews a marine biologist who believes all the damages and attacks on various boats are being made by the same pod of whales.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, PaulK said:

NYT article this morning interviews a marine biologist who believes all the damages and attacks on various boats are being made by the same pod of whales.

Hope they don’t come to the Home of the Cup.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Priscilla said:

 Tuna stocks

is tuna a proper noun now or did you fail out of school

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheDragon said:

Something tells me I would head to shore in either of those circumstances!

That video would be way better if the Orca sent that paddler 80 feet in the air

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Priscilla said:

Hope they don’t come to the Home of the Cup.

 

Oh I love these!

Tricia xxx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A long time ago, I had an orca encounter while diving in the kelp at Lime Kiln Lighthouse.  A couple of them were sweeping the shallows, herding seals out to where the rest of the pod were waiting...  Seals kept shouldering past me, in a hurry, and giving me funny looks.  I didn't see the orcas until I hauled out onto a rock ledge - they were about ten feet behind me.  Prolly thought I was just a particularly slow and stupid seal.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably thought you are a particularly slow and stupid human.

Give the whales credit, their brains are bigger than yours...

Was told a story by an old Italian gentleman who survived a killer whale ramming, and sinking the yacht he, and crew were sailing in mid Atlantic. 

The whales stove in the hull below the waterline. As the boat was sinking they all thought they would be eaten, so were reluctant, to say the least, to get into the dinghy. He described feeling like candy in a cup when the yacht was gone, and they had no choice but to use the ships boat.

The killer whales then surrounded the small boat, and spyglassed, for some time. Never showed any aggression, and eventually swam off. 

They lived to tell the tale!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jhc said:

Probably thought you are a particularly slow and stupid human.

Give the whales credit, their brains are bigger than yours...

Was told a story by an old Italian gentleman who survived a killer whale ramming, and sinking the yacht he, and crew were sailing in mid Atlantic. 

The whales stove in the hull below the waterline. As the boat was sinking they all thought they would be eaten, so were reluctant, to say the least, to get into the dinghy. He described feeling like candy in a cup when the yacht was gone, and they had no choice but to use the ships boat.

The killer whales then surrounded the small boat, and spyglassed, for some time. Never showed any aggression, and eventually swam off. 

They lived to tell the tale!

image.png.847da04b3309cb880e3ea6910ef0dbb7.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Priscilla said:

Not really surprised considering how we treat their whanau.

CTeuCriW4AAKVD4.thumb.jpeg.469a95a77331c8f7e3cfc6b628b5ac63.jpeg

 

 

Must have had to get one fuckload of hoops over a bottle to get those, all I ever got off those carnie bastards was a goldfish with a lump on its head.

 

 

 

(for the record, I abhor keeping these intelligent majestic creatures in captivity)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Are orcas above or below you on said chain?

I'd say, definitely above  :P

BTW, there was a third attack yesterday. "Experts" say that there are two small groups of  orcas that came from the Strait of Gibraltar and it's probably just one of the whales that has some fixation with rudders. They just brake the rudder, play with it a little while and then go away.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, European Bloke said:

That would be reassuring if you were on the yacht being attacked. Nobody panic, it's only one of the massive mad fuckers trying to sink us, the others are cool.

Our British friend would say that one Orca has decided to break the boat in a specific and limited way.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had some fear that a whale would some day discover that my rudder makes an excellent back-scratcher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

That video would be way better if the Orca sent that paddler 80 feet in the air 

Reckon you know it, but put it up any way.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, OPAL said:

Reckon you know it, but put it up any way.

 

Thanks. At my age I have trouble remembering what link was pasted 26 posts back...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People must taste pretty awful to them, seems like we would be easy prey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, OPAL said:

Spanish Government Introduces a No-Sailing-Zone following 29 Incidents Between Sailboats and Killer Whales since Aug 10.

https://www.noonsite.com/news/nw-spain-government-introduces-a-no-sailing-zone-following-29-incidents-between-sailboats-and-killer-whales/

 

Thank you for posting this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2020 at 2:16 PM, TheDragon said:

Something tells me I would head to shore in either of those circumstances!

Total Darwin candidates - those things can play you to death like they did to that handler some years ago. I doubt they understand that we have to breathe more than they do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In one of the attacks, the orcas stopped when the crew turned the engine off and let sails loose. It seems that a boat that is not moving does not interest them.

Today, they disabled a boat close to the coast OUTSIDE the no-sail zone. The weather was rough, so the rescue was a difficult one.

Sooner or later, someone is going to take his shotgun to his sailboat...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shooting fish from a boat with a shotgun? You might as well tickle them with a feather duster. More likely to shoot one of the crew when you fall over.

You get back to making America great.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, European Bloke said:

Shooting fish from a boat with a shotgun? You might as well tickle them with a feather duster. More likely to shoot one of the crew when you fall over.

You get back to making America great.

You need depth charges to make them go deeper.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I like to support the underdog (underwhale?). Its going to take a lot more broken rudders for the cetaceans to even the score. When you consider accidental deaths from interactions with man and outright slaughter through whaling, these Orca dudes are heros IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this