nolatom

Sailmaker versus sailmaker, Quantum, court ruling

I know nothing about it, or the sailmaking  "trade secret" involved, but in case it's of interest to anyone here,  a Federal Appeals court has decided in Quantum's favor against South African company, here it is:

https://www.law360.com/transportation/articles/1309115/6th-circ-backs-sailmaker-s-2-5m-win-to-end-epic-saga-?nl_pk=e58a4e3b-bf49-420c-a07c-7bcc8411d411&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=transportation&read_more=1&attachments=true

I think these appellate judges all fancy themselves novelists:

This case is the swan song in an epic saga of unending war over trade secrets and the unlawful sales of sails. Unlike the model of the Iliad, it was ended not by men in a horse but by men in robes...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ryley said:

you would not believe how many judges rulings are just like that... They love the idea of being creative... in a fixed fashion.....

Fortunately it is far fewer than you make it sound, but it is a thing.  Judges come in all stripes, and many of them are susceptible to the same disease that inflicts TV personalities and other folks surrounded by 'yes men' all the time: They think they are far smarter than they are.

13 minutes ago, h20man said:

you would not believe how many judges rulings are just like that... They love the idea of being creative... in a fixed fashion.....

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Fortunately it is far fewer than you make it sound, but it is a thing.  Judges come in all stripes, and many of them are susceptible to the same disease that inflicts TV personalities and other folks surrounded by 'yes men' all the time: They think they are far smarter than they are.

it's worse here in texas where judges are elected, not even requiring a law degree or x number of years of practice..

33 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

it's worse here in texas where judges are elected, not even requiring a law degree or x number of years of practice..

Yup, that sh!t is friggin scary.. judges put in place by popularity contest and campaign funds acquired from vested interests.

1 hour ago, bgytr said:
1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

Yup, that sh!t is friggin scary.. judges put in place by popularity contest and campaign funds acquired from vested interests.

A judge who doesn't have a law degree? That's ludicrous.

Is it though? Only a few presidents have been elected with prior experience, and only one really if you don’t factor in the vices who took over and then were elected. 

besides last I checked, there were still two states that would let you be a lawyer without a law degree. 

2 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

Murica Fail

2 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

it's worse here in Texas where judges are elected, not even requiring a law degree or x number of years of practice..

Steers ad Queers???
Some judges are elected in Calif too. mostly queers here than steers though.

8 hours ago, ryley said:

Huh...I thought the Illiad ended with the funeral of Hektor. The horsey bit come in poems after the Illiad that are not part it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mgs said:

besides last I checked, there were still two states that would let you be a lawyer without a law degree. 

i thought it was you could take the bar exam without attending law school to become a lawyer..

6 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

i thought it was you could take the bar exam without attending law school to become a lawyer..

Well my research was quickly done 10 odd years ago, but what I remember is, most states require a law degree to take the bar. Vermont would let one take it after x years studying/working with a lawyer. 

I also seem to recall that you don’t need a law degree to be a Supreme Court judge. 

I’ll let someone correct me on both counts. 

The problem is not the major, counselor (mine was foreign language study/anthropology). It's the arrogance of folks surrounded by yes men for so long that they think their prose is so clever that the world needs it.

• Like 1

Ullman was dismissed from the suit if i remember my quick scan.  Whether it is collectible depends on the current state of judgment enforcement in SA (if defendants have any assets), and whether defendants have any US assets.

14 hours ago, Elegua said:

Huh...I thought the Illiad ended with the funeral of Hektor. The horsey bit come in poems after the Illiad that are not part it. 

true. a small mention in the Odyssey and mostly in Virgil's tales. but we digress ;)

And Jannie was Doyle before Quantum. I don't think Robbie bothered with any lawyers fees.

So Ulman Sails needed technology and decided to steal it instead of going to one of those OEM Sail Lofts that already have string sail production which the public would not be the wiser? Just like Quantum? Hmmmm 

2 hours ago, Jono said:

And Jannie was Doyle before Quantum. I don't think Robbie bothered with any lawyers fees.

Female lawyers, maybe?