Sign in to follow this  
badlatitude

Smart politician claims he hits a deer, reports it, but actually killed a man

Recommended Posts

 
TJc8hWnu_reasonably_small.jpg
 
 
BREAKING: The South Dakota Attorney General reported hitting a deer Saturday night but had actually hit and killed a man whose body wasn’t discovered until the next morning, according to the Department of Public Safety. Story coming ASAP. Then will update with info from relatives
Shorter: Drunk driver with political connections gets away with fatal hit-and-run.
 
 
 
 
hjXOR4hj_reasonably_small.jpg
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Toast! ... hope the DA charges him !

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The attorney general had been driving home to Pierre after attending the Spink County Lincoln Day Dinner in Redfield, Bormann said. The event was hosted at Rooster’s Bar and Grill from 5 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., according to the website of the South Dakota GOP.

 

mmmmm South Dakota no masks crowded bar, is it possible the Covid catches him before the law?

Asking for a friend....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His cellphone data and locations will be interesting for him to explain 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

His cellphone data and locations will be interesting for him to explain 

What do you bet he suddenly has a new phone and the original was factory reset, so he could sell it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should always call the police to report a deer strike, and stay at the scene.

I know I did, and that's how I almost ended up with a criminal record when the state cop found my license has expired the week previously on my birthday, cuffed me, put me in the back of his car, and tried to have my car towed.  A 6 month fiasco later and 2 lawyers and the entire thing was thrown out.  No previous offenses, 100% clean driving record (record printed out at the secretary of state was literally a blank page of paper).  Just a dick of a cop.  Judge thought it was funny as fuck when the 'prosecuter' couldn't find the paperwork and admitted it in court.

So - always stop and call the police when you hit a deer.  Because.... reasons.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

You should always call the police to report a deer strike, and stay at the scene.

I know I did, and that's how I almost ended up with a criminal record when the state cop found my license has expired the week previously on my birthday, cuffed me, put me in the back of his car, and tried to have my car towed.  A 6 month fiasco later and 2 lawyers and the entire thing was thrown out.  No previous offenses, 100% clean driving record (record printed out at the secretary of state was literally a blank page of paper).  Just a dick of a cop.  Judge thought it was funny as fuck when the 'prosecuter' couldn't find the paperwork and admitted it in court.

So - always stop and call the police when you hit a deer.  Because.... reasons.

The man was intoxicated. Isn't that a bit different?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

You should always call the police to report a deer strike, and stay at the scene.

I know I did, and that's how I almost ended up with a criminal record when the state cop found my license has expired the week previously on my birthday, cuffed me, put me in the back of his car, and tried to have my car towed.  A 6 month fiasco later and 2 lawyers and the entire thing was thrown out.  No previous offenses, 100% clean driving record (record printed out at the secretary of state was literally a blank page of paper).  Just a dick of a cop.  Judge thought it was funny as fuck when the 'prosecuter' couldn't find the paperwork and admitted it in court.

So - always stop and call the police when you hit a deer.  Because.... reasons.

That's all true, but if he was trying to engineer a way out of trouble, leaving the scene and reporting it once you got home, he took a chance that the Mayberry sheriff wouldn't check it out in the middle of the night. He was the state Attorney General after all. Conveniently, there is no alcohol test, or any other evidence that can cost him very much.

The cops should have gone out to see if there was a road hazard at least.The discovery would have dictated a blood test or breathalyzer, and a more lengthy investigation.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

That's all true, but if he was trying to engineer a way out of trouble, leaving the scene and reporting it once you got home, he took a chance that the Mayberry sheriff wouldn't check it out in the middle of the night. He was the state Attorney General after all. Conveniently, there is no alcohol test, or any other evidence that can cost him very much.

The cops should have gone out to see if there was a road hazard at least.The discovery would have dictated a blood test or breathalyzer, and a more lengthy investigation.

 

Yep.. he is in a heap of trouble with no sympathetic ears... lame excuse... just a matter of how much trouble he is in. His “ public service “ career is over!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

Yep.. he is in a heap of trouble with no sympathetic ears... lame excuse... just a matter of how much trouble he is in. His “ public service “ career is over!

Maybe, it all hinges on how many people say he was drinking or drunk when he left. But remember, this is South Dakota, where Democrats are a rare specie. He may still get off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Maybe, it all hinges on how many people say he was drinking or drunk when he left. But remember, this is South Dakota, where Democrats are a rare specie. He may still get off.

CCTV Video from bar, credit card transactions and Server interactions all could put this away quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Maybe, it all hinges on how many people say he was drinking or drunk when he left. But remember, this is South Dakota, where Democrats are a rare specie. He may still get off.

The event was over at 8:30 and the “crash” was at 10:30... the explanation of what happened in the interim will be interesting 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Navig8tor said:

CCTV Video from bar, credit card transactions and Server interactions all could put this away quickly.

Maybe, at least it would force him to resign.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BravoBravo said:

The event was over at 8:30 and the report was at 10:30

That's interesting all by itself. A woman or drugs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Navig8tor said:

CCTV Video from bar, credit card transactions and Server interactions all could put this away quickly.

Doubt if the politician was paying anything so no CC time stamps .. the rest is pretty hazy about how much he may have been drinking as far as credible evidence 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

Doubt if the politician was paying anything so no CC time stamps .. the rest is pretty hazy about how much he may have been drinking as far as credible evidence 

If he was on camera, game over. The question then becomes how friendly was he with the bar owner?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, badlatitude said:

That's interesting all by itself. A woman or drugs?

What happens at Roosters ... stays at Roosters 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, badlatitude said:

What do you bet he suddenly has a new phone and the original was factory reset, so he could sell it.

Did he switch parties?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, badlatitude said:

Shorter: Drunk driver with political connections gets away with fatal hit-and-run.

"unprecedented"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, badlatitude said:
 
TJc8hWnu_reasonably_small.jpg
 
 
BREAKING: The South Dakota Attorney General reported hitting a deer Saturday night but had actually hit and killed a man whose body wasn’t discovered until the next morning, according to the Department of Public Safety. Story coming ASAP. Then will update with info from relatives
Shorter: Drunk driver with political connections gets away with fatal hit-and-run.
 
 
 
 
hjXOR4hj_reasonably_small.jpg
 

So if this guy was a democrat, would you have done the same knee jerk to post it here?  

Didn't think so

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

So if this guy was a democrat, would you have done the same knee jerk to post it here?  

Didn't think so

 

 

Let me understand you. Are you saying it is okay to do this because he's a Republican? Killing a man is okay? Is that what your angst is about?

I think there is the possibility of a very good crime here, and I would have posted it no matter what the political identity of the perp was. I don't like human beings who do this kind of abomination, then use their smarts and connections to evade justice.

 

091520-nws-crash 1

Victim                                                                                                                                         Perp

 

The Department of Public Safety is not disclosing some key details about the investigation into the attorney general who fatally hit a man while driving after attending a Republican Party event at a restaurant in eastern South Dakota.

<snip>

The DPS spokesman, however, is not disclosing which agency is handling what parts of the investigation, including whether the state's top law enforcement official will be interviewed by fellow South Dakota public safety officials or ones from North Dakota. 

"How duties are shared are internal decisions," Tony Mangan said.

Mangan also said he couldn't share the following information because it's part of an ongoing investigation:

  • When and how Ravnsborg contacted the Hyde County Sheriff's Office to report hitting the deer;
  • Whether Ravnsborg got out of the car after the crash to look for the deer and any damage to his car; 
  • If local law enforcement arrived to look for the deer on Saturday night;
  • Whether Ravnsborg was driving a personal or state-owned vehicle; 
  • If Ravnsborg made it home to Pierre on Saturday night or had to leave his car somewhere and get a ride;
  • Where and when on Sunday morning the victim was found, and by whom; 
  • Whether law enforcement found any parts of Ravnsborg's car on the road;
  • If Ravnsborg has already been tested for drugs and alcohol, and if so when.

<snip> 

Nick and Victor Nemec, who are brothers, said their cousin Boever was hit while walking to his disabled vehicle, which he'd crashed into a ditch and hay bale Saturday morning. 

"My cousin got run over by the attorney general,” said Nick, a former state lawmaker. 

“A deer doesn’t look like a human,” Victor added. 

Nick, 62, and Victor, 58, said they were called to identify Boever’s body around 7:30 p.m. Sunday.

The brothers, farmers who live near Holabird, say they’re upset about how long it took for officials to ask them to identify the body.

Victor is afraid officials won’t share the truth about the crash.

“I believe the state is going to try to cover this up as much as they can. I don’t trust this state government,” he said. “This state is known for covering up wrongdoing of elected officials all the time.”

“We will handle this as we would any other fatal crash,” DPS Secretary Craig Price said during the Sunday news conference.

The article appears to be non-partisan, there is more at the link: https://rapidcityjournal.com/news/local/update-dps-not-sharing-key-info-about-attorney-general-crash-investigation/article_d30c1f03-6e69-577d-9b0c-08106a963b60.html

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let me add that there is mention of a 'friend' of the two brothers who saw a red bumper under a tarp while the scene was being investigated. I imagine there will be a host of questions asked about that and whether the airbags went off or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's a Republican.

I'm shocked... SHOCKED.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, saxdog said:

The man was intoxicated. Isn't that a bit different?

Was that stated anywhere?  

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rocky must have pulled the reduced hours at the troll farm, life's short and you're dead a long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, badlatitude said:

Let me understand you. Are you saying it is okay to do this because he's a Republican? Killing a man is okay? Is that what your angst is about

 

No, just your daily knee jerk.  You scour the internet to find something negative against republican and/or conservatives and re-post it here..   Do you have anything else better to do with your life?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

No, just your daily knee jerk.  You scour the internet to find something negative against republican and/or conservatives and re-post it here..   Do you have anything else better to do with your life?

 

Do you have anything better to do than defend scurrilous and corrupt Republican politicians?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

No, just your daily knee jerk.  You scour the internet to find something negative against republican and/or conservatives and re-post it here..   Do you have anything else better to do with your life?

 

 it's on drudge and breitbart.  they scouring for negative news about republicans too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, BravoBravo said:

Yep.. he is in a heap of trouble with no sympathetic ears... lame excuse... just a matter of how much trouble he is in. His “ public service “ career is over!

Ever hear of Russel Perdock?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

Wow, I had never heard that story before. It sounds like the perfect place for Trump to retire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nacradriver said:

No, just your daily knee jerk.  You scour the internet to find something negative against republican and/or conservatives and re-post it here..   Do you have anything else better to do with your life?

Doesn't exactly require "scouring".

It's unavoidable if you pay any attention at all to the news.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really? It was covered extensively on Latitude 38 and here on SA where a lot of the funds to defend Bismarck Dinius were raised. 71 pages with a lot of cameos from the usual Dog-like trolls and silence from well known elk.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

Really? It was covered extensively on Latitude 38 and here on SA where a lot of the funds to defend Bismarck Dinius were raised. 71 pages with a lot of cameos from the usual Dog-like trolls and silence from well known elk.

 

Could have gone down when I was living abroad. Does anyone remember South Dakota Governor Bill Janklow? He got pretty special treatment for someone facing 10 years in jail, he ended up doing 100 days for killing a motorcyclist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:
3 hours ago, nacradriver said:

No, just your daily knee jerk.  You scour the internet to find something negative against republican and/or conservatives and re-post it here..   Do you have anything else better to do with your life?

Doesn't exactly require "scouring".

It's unavoidable if you pay any attention at all to the reality-based news.

FIFY

And I bet you can see the problem here

- DSK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, badlatitude said:

Do you have anything better to do than defend scurrilous and corrupt Republican politicians?

Do you think you're changing anything other than the Pavlovian response for the others here?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

Do you think you're changing anything other than the Pavlovian response for the others here?

 

Your ironic responses are pretty amusing, so he’s got that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

Do you think you're changing anything other than the Pavlovian response for the others here?

 

Now that sounds like a new thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nobody remembers Chappaquidick?  I hope they at least performed a rape kit on the deer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he really thought it was just a deer, why did he return the next day and somehow find the body in a ditch...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, Sodakotoh is located out in dummbfuckistan, right next to sturgisstan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Zonker said:

If he really thought it was just a deer, why did he return the next day and somehow find the body in a ditch...?

Because venison sausage

- DSK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Al Paca said:

After I’ve had a few white guys a deer look the same to me. 

Pro tip: Don't pick up the ones with antlers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update

 

Nemec Visits Scene Where Ravnsborg Killed His Cousin, Finds Skid Marks and Blood on Highway 14 Shoulder, Red Taurus Hauled Back to Highmore from Pierre

Nick Nemec is a cousin of Joe Boever, the man Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg struck and killed with his car Saturday night. Yesterday Nick Nemec went out to the scene of the fatal crash to see if he could make sense of what happened. Nemec told that story in the comment section here last night.

KELO Radio finds Nemec’s story worth promoting to headline news; so do I:

Having read through the comments I feel I must clear up some of the speculation. Today, 9-15-2020, I went to the accident scene to see it for myself and get a better handle on the events surrounding my cousin Joe’s death.

The accident happened just into a 65mph zone shortly after it had transitioned from 45mph, a little over 1/4 mile west of the junction of US14 and SD47.

At the time the brakes were applied (clearly visible due to tire skid marks) the right hand tires of the car were well onto the shoulder of the road. This stretch of US14 has wide paved shoulders with rumble strips at the white line.

I stepped off the tire skid marks and they went on for over 200 feet before there were two parallel blood skid marks on the paved shoulder. This first blood marks were about 6″ wide and 6′-8′ long. There was then a skip for about 20 feet before a wider blood skid mark closer to the edge of the shoulder that was about 1′ wide and 20′ long. There was then another skip of about 20′ until a dried pool of blood in the grass on the edge of the road.

The pool of blood was 2′ from the edge of the pavement (I measured with a tape measure) the grass here had been mowed late this summer and had regrown to 8″ tall (I measured it). This was the very edge of the grass and the ground was nearly level with the shoulder of the road at this point, the ditch slope had not really begun yet. Black flies were buzzing in the air just above the blood pool.

As I stood there a flatbed truck drove by carrying a red Ford Taurus with a huge hole in the passenger side of the windshield. The truck turned into the SD DOT yard near the speed limit sign and drove into the shop and the overhead door quickly closed. Highway patrolmen and other authority figures immediately surrounded my vehicle as I drove up to the building and parked. I requested permission to photograph the windshield of the vehicle and was denied. A photograph of the red Ford I saw being hauled into the DOT shed in Highmore that was taken when it was still in Pierre, is on the Keloland TV web site.

  • Crash-vehicle-at-shop.jpg uShareRead More »
  • Crash-car.jpg

The HP told me they were doing another accident investigation and needed the red Ford back in Highmore. I eventually asked permission to leave the DOT yard and permission was granted. I ran some errands in Highmore and left town less than an hour later, by that time US14 was reduced to one lane with a pilot car leading traffic through the accident area, the scene was being investigated for the second time in three days. I saw traffic cones marking stuff and new paint marks of a different color on the road. I don’t know how long the road was reduced to one lane but a friend told my brother Victor that FBI agents were seen on the scene later that afternoon [link added; Nick Nemec, comment, Dakota Free Press, 2020.09.15].

Skid marks starting in the shoulder, significant amounts of blood on and close to the road, law enforcement surrounding an innocent citizen, investigators painting new marks on an already investigated and cleared accident scene… even as he reels from grief at the loss of his cousin, Nemec provides a valuable piece of independent journalism on an investigation of keen public interest as we wait for the state’s top cop to take a leave of absence to make clear that he will exercise no influence in the investigation of the death he caused Saturday night in Hyde County.

http://dakotafreepress.com/2020/09/16/nemec-visits-scene-where-ravnsborg-killed-his-cousin-finds-skid-marks-and-blood-on-highway-14-shoulder-red-taurus-hauled-back-to-highmore-from-pierre/

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Ishmael said:
16 hours ago, Al Paca said:

After I’ve had a few white guys a deer look the same to me. 

Pro tip: Don't pick up the ones with antlers.

Ha! Some of us enjoy it more, the ones that fight back

- DSK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

That’s Wisconsin.

It's called Wississippi

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, MaxHeadroom said:

It's called Wississippi

Nobody 'sips' in Wisconsin, more like Wississgulpi.  

A lot of misinformation in this thread.  

1.  He did stop, called 911and a sheriff did arrive on the scene.  The car was so badly damaged that the sheriff let him drive his personal car home.  

2.  He is not a big drinker and had nothing at the event he attended.

3.  He did discover the body the next day as he passed the scene on his way to return the Sheriff's car.  

I do not understand the skid marks and being off the road but this is not a case of a drunk guy leaving the scene of an accident.  Tragic for all in any case.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, badlatitude said:

Update

 

Nemec Visits Scene Where Ravnsborg Killed His Cousin, Finds Skid Marks and Blood on Highway 14 Shoulder, Red Taurus Hauled Back to Highmore from Pierre

Nick Nemec is a cousin of Joe Boever, the man Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg struck and killed with his car Saturday night. Yesterday Nick Nemec went out to the scene of the fatal crash to see if he could make sense of what happened. Nemec told that story in the comment section here last night.

KELO Radio finds Nemec’s story worth promoting to headline news; so do I:

Having read through the comments I feel I must clear up some of the speculation. Today, 9-15-2020, I went to the accident scene to see it for myself and get a better handle on the events surrounding my cousin Joe’s death.

The accident happened just into a 65mph zone shortly after it had transitioned from 45mph, a little over 1/4 mile west of the junction of US14 and SD47.

At the time the brakes were applied (clearly visible due to tire skid marks) the right hand tires of the car were well onto the shoulder of the road. This stretch of US14 has wide paved shoulders with rumble strips at the white line.

I stepped off the tire skid marks and they went on for over 200 feet before there were two parallel blood skid marks on the paved shoulder. This first blood marks were about 6″ wide and 6′-8′ long. There was then a skip for about 20 feet before a wider blood skid mark closer to the edge of the shoulder that was about 1′ wide and 20′ long. There was then another skip of about 20′ until a dried pool of blood in the grass on the edge of the road.

The pool of blood was 2′ from the edge of the pavement (I measured with a tape measure) the grass here had been mowed late this summer and had regrown to 8″ tall (I measured it). This was the very edge of the grass and the ground was nearly level with the shoulder of the road at this point, the ditch slope had not really begun yet. Black flies were buzzing in the air just above the blood pool.

As I stood there a flatbed truck drove by carrying a red Ford Taurus with a huge hole in the passenger side of the windshield. The truck turned into the SD DOT yard near the speed limit sign and drove into the shop and the overhead door quickly closed. Highway patrolmen and other authority figures immediately surrounded my vehicle as I drove up to the building and parked. I requested permission to photograph the windshield of the vehicle and was denied. A photograph of the red Ford I saw being hauled into the DOT shed in Highmore that was taken when it was still in Pierre, is on the Keloland TV web site.

  • Crash-vehicle-at-shop.jpg uShareRead More »
  • Crash-car.jpg

The HP told me they were doing another accident investigation and needed the red Ford back in Highmore. I eventually asked permission to leave the DOT yard and permission was granted. I ran some errands in Highmore and left town less than an hour later, by that time US14 was reduced to one lane with a pilot car leading traffic through the accident area, the scene was being investigated for the second time in three days. I saw traffic cones marking stuff and new paint marks of a different color on the road. I don’t know how long the road was reduced to one lane but a friend told my brother Victor that FBI agents were seen on the scene later that afternoon [link added; Nick Nemec, comment, Dakota Free Press, 2020.09.15].

Skid marks starting in the shoulder, significant amounts of blood on and close to the road, law enforcement surrounding an innocent citizen, investigators painting new marks on an already investigated and cleared accident scene… even as he reels from grief at the loss of his cousin, Nemec provides a valuable piece of independent journalism on an investigation of keen public interest as we wait for the state’s top cop to take a leave of absence to make clear that he will exercise no influence in the investigation of the death he caused Saturday night in Hyde County.

http://dakotafreepress.com/2020/09/16/nemec-visits-scene-where-ravnsborg-killed-his-cousin-finds-skid-marks-and-blood-on-highway-14-shoulder-red-taurus-hauled-back-to-highmore-from-pierre/

 

 

Damning ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Nobody 'sips' in Wisconsin, more like Wississgulpi.  

A lot of misinformation in this thread.  

1.  He did stop, called 911and a sheriff did arrive on the scene.  The car was so badly damaged that the sheriff let him drive his personal car home.  

2.  He is not a big drinker and had nothing at the event he attended.

3.  He did discover the body the next day as he passed the scene on his way to return the Sheriff's car.  

I do not understand the skid marks and being off the road but this is not a case of a drunk guy leaving the scene of an accident.  Tragic for all in any case.  

A sheriff was on the scene and didn't look for whatever left the blood behind?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2020 at 3:01 PM, BravoBravo said:

Toast! ... hope the DA charges him !

You belong at 666, it gives me joy to like you to keep you on the spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MR.CLEAN said:

A sheriff was on the scene and didn't look for whatever left the blood behind?

From my link:

Mr. Ravnsborg’s new statement tracked with the account already released by Ms. Noem and the authorities on Sunday and Monday. After leaving a Republican dinner in Redfield at 9:15 p.m. Saturday, he wrote, he was driving home alone on U.S. Highway 14 near Highmore, S.D., around 10:30 p.m. when he struck “something that I believed to be a large animal (likely a deer). I didn’t see what I hit and stopped my vehicle immediately to investigate. I immediately called 911.”

 

Looking around in the darkness, Mr. Ravnsborg wrote, “All I could see were pieces of my vehicle laying on and around the roadway.” He shone his phone flashlight at the ditch but could not see anything, he said.

The Hyde County sheriff, Mike Volek, arrived, surveyed the damage and filled out the paperwork to report the accident, the attorney general wrote. “At no time did either of us suspect that I had been involved in an accident with a person,” he said. The sheriff could not be reached for comment Tuesday.

The car was too damaged to drive, he wrote, and the nearest tow service was more than an hour away, so Sheriff Volek “graciously offered to loan me his personal vehicle” to drive home to Pierre, S.D. He got there at midnight and made arrangements with his chief of staff to return the car the next morning, he said.

The next morning, as the men were driving to the sheriff’s house, they saw debris from the Taurus on the highway, so they “stopped to see if the animal that I thought I hit was in the ditch,” he wrote. After finding Mr. Boever in the grass, they went and told the sheriff, who sent the men back to Pierre, pending the investigation.

The attorney general also detailed in his statement the steps he had taken to cooperate: giving a face-to-face interview with investigators; agreeing to a blood draw and a search of both his cellphones; and providing a list of “anyone at the dinner who can confirm that I was not drinking alcohol at any time during the event.”

Adding that he was “deeply saddened by the tragic nature of these events,” he once again offered condolences to the dead man’s family.

Mr. Boever’s relatives could not be immediately reached Tuesday. His cousin, Nick Nemec, said Monday that he had worked stints as a nurse’s aide and at a grocery store, but was most recently employed helping a relative haul hay on his cattle farm. Mr. Nemec was not sure why his cousin was out walking by the highway on Saturday night, but he speculated that he may have decided to walk to his pickup, which was disabled after running into a ditch on the highway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

After leaving a Republican dinner in Redfield at 9:15 p.m. Saturday, he wrote, he was driving home alone on U.S. Highway 14 near Highmore, S.D., around 10:30 p.m.

Roosters to Highmore is 68.5 miles or 1hour 6 minutes of driving time. What was he doing for the 45 minutes after Roosters closed at 8:30 10:00. Who believes he was only doing 65, on country roads, when he has 6 traffic tickets for speeding over 65? (not all tickets were for speeding)

There is going to be a lot more questions, a lot more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I posted this earlier, but according to their FB page,  Roosters closes at 10pm on Saturday nights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Roosters to Highmore is 68.5 miles or 1hour 6 minutes of driving time. What was he doing for the 45 minutes after Roosters closed at 8:30? Who believes he was only doing 65, on country roads, when he has 6 traffic tickets for speeding over 65? 

There is going to be a lot more questions, a lot more.

Isn't that what a cellphone or two will tell the investigators?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cal20sailor said:

Isn't that what a cellphone or two will tell the investigators?

Sure, if he surrendered his cell phone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Sure, if he surrendered his cell phone.

Records can be subpoenaed and he claimed in the statement he made that he offered his phones to the investigators.  

If this is a cover up, it's going to involve a lot of people so the truth will come out.  

I'm surprised they haven't released his 911 call.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cal20sailor said:

Records can be subpoenaed and he claimed in the statement he made that he offered his phones to the investigators.  

If this is a cover up, it's going to involve a lot of people so the truth will come out.  

South Dakota has a history of good old boy treatment of politicians, see Bill Janklow.

Correction: the six traffic tickets were for speeding. 

The speeding tickets range from January 2014 to September 2018, just before he was elected to office.

Among the infractions:

  • Ravnsborg pleaded guilty and paid a $19 fine and $68 in court costs for speeding in Beadle County in September 2018. 
  • He pleaded guilty to and paid a $59 fine and a $66 court fee for speeding in Pennington County in April 2018. 
  • Ravnsborg was cited for speeding on a four-lane road in a rural area in Clay County in 2017. He pleaded guilty and paid a $19 fine and $66 in court costs in June 2017. 
  • He paid a $79 fine and $66 in court costs for speeding in May 2015 in Faulk County. 
  • Speeding in Douglas County in April 2015 resulted in a $39 fine and $66 in court costs.
  • The first infraction on record was in January 2014, speeding in Yankton County. Ravnsborg paid a $19 fine and $66 in court costs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this