Sign in to follow this  
jwlester

Crewing opportunities on Lake Norman NC

Nothing came up in the search but I'm assuming there are folks on here in the area.  Feel free to point me in the right direction.  I'm relatively inexperienced and looking for some racing opportunities locally.  I know racing is what makes a good technical sailor and looking to get better.  We sail our Typhoon from our home in the Lowcountry, but looking to get some experience closer to home.  I'm an engineer, general contractor, pilot, gear head, and generally pretty handy...even if its just serving beer.  My wife says I'm an asshole, but she's still around after 15 years and 3 kids.  I figure I can get along with most anyone and enjoy some good competition.

Either way, I look forward to meeting some local inmates.

Regards,

Josh Lester

The place you want to go is Lake Norman Yacht Club. Very down to earth and family friendly club with some great racing as well. You might also want to look at Lake Norman Community Sailing, its a small business offering sailing lessons, boat rentals, and regularly scheduled racing, but the competition isnt nearly at the level you'll see at LNYC.

http://lakenormanyc.org

http://lnsailing.org

Thank you Willy.  Kind of you to chime in.  I'll reach out to LNYC.  I had looked at their site when I was reading about the hospice regatta.  Have a great weekend.

JOsh

Bring your $$.

The NCSC has affordable options (that might be flex -spending worthy) .

Look at the outriggeryachtclub.org page and poke around. It is a combination of the lake's clubs and your best bet to getting a ride. We race about 11 months a year.

We are full up for this Sunday's race and it may be sporty which does not happen very much in 'these parts'.

DM me for more info after you look. 

Sail safe!