Raptorsailor

Jules Verne Trophy 2020

Recommended Posts

Coville's plan

Quote

"They will set to starboard tack in a fairly unstable northwesterly wind of about twenty knots, manageable conditions for a crew of eight," replies Jean-Luc Nélias. They should then have strong northerly winds off Portugal before descending quickly to the equator, which they could cross in less than five days. Once in the southern hemisphere, the challenge is to negotiate the Saint Helena high in the best possible way to arrive in less than 12 days at Cap des Aiguilles, at the entrance to the Indian Ocean. This requires catching a depression at Cabo Frio, at Rio, which can "cut cheese" in the high, thus making it possible to make a shorter and higher-speed road. This is what we are looking for with this window, but it remains difficult to predict, because it is quite far away in time and the area is unstable. "

https://tropheejulesverne.sodebo.com/actualites/sodebo-ultim-3-sest-elance-a-lassaut-du-trophee-jules-verne/

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gitana smoking along at 35-40 knots. They'll probably kick the website on in a bit. Maybe Yann forgot to wake up the webmaster. :lol:

They just posted on Instagram that they went.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gitana up and running on the chart now.... and I found the english button...:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, stief said:

Already missing  Fralo's site. -_-

That was the best way to keep track of all the records. Wikipedia page looks decent, though.

Yeah, we need a Fralo tracker, come back please! Crazy to have two maps with going the same way, both showing Joyon but not the other boat on the water.  First world problems fer sure!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, tama_manu said:

First world problems fer sure!

Indeed. And keeping Marinetraffic timestamps sorted. Don't we have anything better to do?

The COVID dividend.

But man! Gitana @ 39.1kts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sodebo tracker says: Updated every 2 hours

Gitana. Every hour.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, nogetwe said:

Sodebo boat tour (in French). Note the wheel next to the 'pilot seat' controlling the main hull foil if I understood correctly:

 

You got it right. The hydraulic wheel controls the main daggerboard horizontal flap and the main hull rudder flap, to control the "flight".

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Calling Mr. forss to a white courtesy telephone.

Mr. forss to a white courtesy telephone please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes and speed around 18 19 knts at that time, but now back to 34.

I guess they had some form of issue, hope not serious, or maybe just a sail change ?

Note : too bad Sodebo does not have the "data" (curves) geovoile feature on its tracker, why not ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, t.rex said:

Calling Mr. forss to a white courtesy telephone.

Mr. forss to a white courtesy telephone please.

Yes please! Both boats and Idec's ghost on one tracker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Bebmoumoute said:

Rumour says Gitana has refused to be on a joint tracker.

They could put each otheron their trackers very easily

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bebmoumoute said:

Rumour says Gitana has refused to be on a joint tracker.

Volodia tried,

Quote

we did ask @GitanaTeam and @Sodebo_Voile if they would agree to lend us their data to appear on the map, but for the moment that will not be done, and therefore no @TransatJV_fr  on the map.

 

https://twitter.com/volodia/status/1331517587470086147?s=20

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm trying to sort out the full status of boats capable of running for Jules Verne...  Which I guess means Ultimes...  I'm not sure of the exact definition of an Ultime, nor how many exist.  My impression is that it's basically all of the foiling trimarans larger than MOD 70s...  Here's the list of what I can find...

Sodebo Ultim 3:  32 meters, launched 2019, skippered by Coville, racing JV now.

Maxi Edmond de Rothschild, aka Gitana 17: 32 meters, launched 2017, skippered by Cammas and Caudrelier, racing JV now.

Actual Leader: Previously Sodebo Ultim, 31 meters, launched, 2014, refit 2019, skippered by Yves le Blevec.  Status?

MACIF: 30 meters, launched 2015.  Not sure of its status or current skipper.

IDEC Sport, previously Groupama 3 and BPVII: 31.5 meters, launched 2006.  Current JV record holder.  Skippered by Joyon.  Status?

Spindrift 2: 40 meters, launched 2008, skippered by Bertareli and Guichard.  Doing a refit now for 2021.

 

So...  That's six, assuming the list shouldn't include the fleet of MOD 70s.  Are there more?  Of the six, two are racing, and one is known to be doing a refit.  Status on the other three?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best thing about your list is the oldest boat has the current record.. :)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MACIF sold to Actual Leader and in the shed now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I'm trying to sort out the full status of boats capable of running for Jules Verne...  Which I guess means Ultimes...  I'm not sure of the exact definition of an Ultime, nor how many exist.  My impression is that it's basically all of the foiling trimarans larger than MOD 70s...  Here's the list of what I can find...

Sodebo Ultim 3:  32 meters, launched 2019, skippered by Coville, racing JV now.

Maxi Edmond de Rothschild, aka Gitana 17: 32 meters, launched 2017, skippered by Cammas and Caudrelier, racing JV now.

Actual Leader: Previously Sodebo Ultim, 31 meters, launched, 2014, refit 2019, skippered by Yves le Blevec.  Status?

MACIF: 30 meters, launched 2015.  Not sure of its status or current skipper.

IDEC Sport, previously Groupama 3 and BPVII: 31.5 meters, launched 2006.  Current JV record holder.  Skippered by Joyon.  Status?

Spindrift 2: 40 meters, launched 2008, skippered by Bertareli and Guichard.  Doing a refit now for 2021.

 

So...  That's six, assuming the list shouldn't include the fleet of MOD 70s.  Are there more?  Of the six, two are racing, and one is known to be doing a refit.  Status on the other three?

 

Technically, the Ultim class limits entries to 32 m length and 23 m beam, but that is only for event with a class label.

 

Actual just purchased the old MACIF from 2015. I don't know what they will do with the old Actual / older Sodebo.

A new MACIF is due to be launched in the Spring 2021, but MACIF just pulled out, so Gabart is looking for a sponsor to carry on.

Spindrift seems to be in sleep mode, they have been really unlucky in their last 3 attemps.

A new Banque Populaire is also to be launched next year for Armel Le Cleac'h after they lost the previous one during the 2019 transat Jacques Vabre.

I believe there is a modified MOD70 with foils owned by Giovanni Soldini currently having a refit, not sure what they will do with it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BPXI should be done soon. Floats were moved to the fit out shed a week or two ago. Last target was December, but who knows with the latest lockdown if that's still the target.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ivansh said:

dumb question, but did Sodebo and Gitana come to the same start time independently, or did they coordinate it?

There was a bit of hiding between the teams. Sodebo was the first to decide to go, and Gitana kinda followed. They didn't think that the weather was great, but since Sodebo went; they thought why not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ivansh said:

dumb question, but did Sodebo and Gitana come to the same start time independently, or did they coordinate it?

Gitana started around 32 minutes later than Sodebo, clearly aiming at the same window (but yes, they choose their start time independently)

(and Gitana is ahead of Sodebo currently)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be great to see the JVT and the VG on Windy

Kevin Saliou is willing, but I'd be surprised if Gitana and Sodebo respond.

Quote

go go go @Sodebo_Voile and @GitanaTeam for this record! What if we made the plugin 
@regadata/@windyforecast to follow this @TJV_officiel vintage 2020?
@Sodebo_Voile@GitanaTeam Do not hesitate to contact me!#OpenData

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of the record, the dream scenario would be Sodebo finishes first with a new record, and then Gitana (who started ~30 mins later than Sodebo), finishes a few minutes behind, setting a new record too. 

#justdreaming

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chasm said:

Which is a bit funny since at least gitana used windy for planning.

They used windy for meetings around planning. They used Marcel for actual planning.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chasm said:

Which is a bit funny since at least gitana used windy for planning.

Planning or Publicising? Too funny, but don't think Triest agrees.

Waiting for Kevin to start looking at a Zezo plugin :lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, TPG said:

They used windy for meetings around planning. They used Marcel for actual planning.

Come on, windy or whatever are just nice or less nice displays, but they all use the output of the same models, basically GFS or ECMWF.

Btw, somebody told me that a lot of the input data for these models was coming from planes "regular flights", so that due to covid the current input data (and so the output as well) are currently less reliable, anybody knows if that is really the case ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But Marcel and Nélias apparently pay for better sat data. Wouldn't be surprised if they share the cost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, stief said:

But Marcel and Nélias apparently pay for better sat data. Wouldn't be surprised if they share the cost

Gitana said they share the cost of the better sat data with some Vendée Globe teams

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bebmoumoute said:

Gitana said they share the cost of the better sat data with some Vendée Globe teams

Thanks--thought that's what I read somewhere. Link?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bit of both.
Marcel scribbling on windy using it for an overview before jumping into Adrena and the detailed routing. (Probably also other routing software, not shown in the videos.)
It is an easy to use tool that visualizes the models very well. Skip though the forecast, change layers, switch models, and so on.

Yes, there are planes (and ships) equipped with additional sensors that are used to collect precise weather data. Like many other planes a lot of them are grounded at the moment. The weather services are trying to compensate by using other means like launching more balloons.
IIRC another aspect was to adjust the models a bit to reflect the loss of data from planes, weighting satellite data higher. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, stief said:

But Marcel and Nélias apparently pay for better sat data. Wouldn't be surprised if they share the cost

That is primarily for the ice limits; Gitana and Sodebo don't have any restrictions, they can draw their own ice lines based on the latest satellite image and sea surface temperature data available. Unfortunately, without launching your own satellite there are no real additional products available to help find a faster route, i.e extra ASCAT passes over the equator to find a clear lane through the doldrums etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, samc99us said:

That is primarily for the ice limits; Gitana and Sodebo don't have any restrictions, they can draw their own ice lines based on the latest satellite image and sea surface temperature data available. Unfortunately, without launching your own satellite there are no real additional products available to help find a faster route, i.e extra ASCAT passes over the equator to find a clear lane through the doldrums etc.

True (I'm recalling Great Circle's role in the VG here). Though, I thought GC also gets better than the public sat data over the equator. I keep watching the INMARSAT promos about their proprietary data, but don't know exactly what they provide race teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, stief said:

True (I'm recalling Great Circle's role in the VG here). Though, I thought GC also gets better than the public sat data over the equator. I keep watching the INMARSAT promos about their proprietary data, but don't know exactly what they provide race teams.

A faster way to get publicly available data. Last I checked, INMARSAT is a comms network, not a weather data provider.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a crib sheet somewhere comparing the two boats. Gitana is looking a bit faster at the moment. I think the midsea encounter video today the Sodebo crew mentioned something about Gitana being able to sail deeper in the prevailing conditions (if my French is any good) though it could have been the other way around. 

Only difference I can see at the moment is eight crew on Sodebo vs six on Gitana.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, winchfodder said:

Is there a crib sheet somewhere comparing the two boats. Gitana is looking a bit faster at the moment. I think the midsea encounter video today the Sodebo crew mentioned something about Gitana being able to sail deeper in the prevailing conditions (if my French is any good) though it could have been the other way around. 

Only difference I can see at the moment is eight crew on Sodebo vs six on Gitana.

It was the other way round indeed

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, yl75 said:

Better than nothing, both trackers on the same page here :

https://www.ouest-france.fr/sport/voile/trophee-jules-verne/record-trophee-jules-verne-positions-de-coville-sodebo-et-cammas-caudrelier-gitana-7061643

Gitana is now clearly in the lead (and have started  31 minutes later)

and https://www.tipandshaft.com/cartographie-du-trophee-jules-verne-sodebo-gitana/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gitana is the more powerful boat I believe, primarily designed with crewed racing in mind. Sodebo 3 was designed for Thomas Coville to break the single handed round the world record; they are taking it crewed first as I suspect they know the risk of breakage is high and its better to suffer a break with 6 onboard vs. 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, samc99us said:

Gitana is the more powerful boat I believe, primarily designed with crewed racing in mind. Sodebo 3 was designed for Thomas Coville to break the single handed round the world record; they are taking it crewed first as I suspect they know the risk of breakage is high and its better to suffer a break with 6 onboard vs. 1.

Both boats are designed for single handed AND crewed (but with small crew numbers)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gitana has shown several times that is the fastest ULTIM, Caudrelier and Cammas add to the fact and that they are the team to beat. Sodebo has made some changes and refinements to challenge them... but for now and by the first hours of this new JV trophy seems things go the same way.

Good luck for both teams, they will need a good dose of it to challenge Joyon's actual mindblowing record...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, samc99us said:

A faster way to get publicly available data. Last I checked, INMARSAT is a comms network, not a weather data provider.

(aside) Still comms primarily, but https://www.inmarsat.com/press-release/world-first-as-new-real-time-link-between-satellites-promises-quicker-delivery-of-data-and-imagery-across-the-globe/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome stuff.... sooo much going on, I need at least 3 screens.... I just hope all make it home safe as these things are beasts. They are somewhat untried and tested in huge swell down south as full foilers.....
Great that they are going together for so many reasons including safety...
Gitana is at a cracking pace already .......
WOW WOW WOW

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The America's Cup, the Vendée Globe and now a match race between two of the fastest ocean racing boats ! What a time to be alive !

Imho Gitana is the faster boat of the fleet and I wouldn't be supprised if we see a gap of performance with Sodebo.

- It has been foiling since its launch back in 2017 and the Gitana had team already experimented foiling with their old MOD70 (now Maserati), while Sodebo has only been foiling since it received its daggerboard foil 6 months ago.

- Gitana 17 also has an active flight control system which controls the roll and peach of the boat (in french we call it "enslavement", I don't know how to translate it without it sounding weird). Sodebo flight is manually controlled through a wheel in the cockpit.

- Gitana looks to me like the most developped boat, as the team has spend lots of time refining the boat in various areas like aerodynamic efficiency with things like the fairings, the cockpit and the closing of the gap between the boom and the roof, etc. Sodebo had far less time to be developped as it is 2 years younger in comparaison. The S team added many upgrades before summer which made the boat faster, but they still have a lot of room to improve the performance of Sodebo. A engineer of the Gitana team said in a recent video that they improved the speed of the boat by 10% since its launch.

In the end the two boats are two beasts and they are close in terms of performance, but Gitana exploits much more of its potential than Sodebo does. Sodebo has the potential to be faster than Gitana thanks to its design but it needs a bit more time. We have yet to see what Sodebo is capable of in two and that's great !

 

PS : Charles Caudrelier (co-skipper of Gitana 17) said in an interview that the team was working on a new pair of foils which would better deal with the cavitation happening +45kn. This pair of foils could allow them to reach average speeds closer to 50kn. They are planning of adding it after the Jules Verne trophy.

PS bis : Cyril Dardashti, the Gitana team principal, said in the live they made on youtube today that Gitana 17 broke its previous speed record and reached a speed of 49 knots ("49 noeuds et des poussières" = "49 knots and a little more").

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The new foils didn't make it onto the boat because of the rona.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Awesome stuff.... sooo much going on, I need at least 3 screens

Well, the VG kindly gives you 7 hours. :P

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, c_me said:

The America's Cup, the Vendée Globe and now a match race between two of the fastest ocean racing boats ! What a time to be alive !

Imho Gitana is the faster boat of the fleet and I wouldn't be supprised if we see a gap of performance with Sodebo.

- It has been foiling since its launch back in 2017 and the Gitana had team already experimented foiling with their old MOD70 (now Maserati), while Sodebo has only been foiling since it received its daggerboard foil 6 months ago.

- Gitana 17 also has an active flight control system which controls the roll and peach of the boat (in french we call it "enslavement", I don't know how to translate it without it sounding weird). Sodebo flight is manually controlled through a wheel in the cockpit.

- Gitana looks to me like the most developped boat, as the team has spend lots of time refining the boat in various areas like aerodynamic efficiency with things like the fairings, the cockpit and the closing of the gap between the boom and the roof, etc. Sodebo had far less time to be developped as it is 2 years younger in comparaison. The S team added many upgrades before summer which made the boat faster, but they still have a lot of room to improve the performance of Sodebo. A engineer of the Gitana team said in a recent video that they improved the speed of the boat by 10% since its launch.

In the end the two boats are two beasts and they are close in terms of performance, but Gitana exploits much more of its potential than Sodebo does. Sodebo has the potential to be faster than Gitana thanks to its design but it needs a bit more time. We have yet to see what Sodebo is capable of in two and that's great !

 

PS : Charles Caudrelier (co-skipper of Gitana 17) said in an interview that the team was working on a new pair of foils which would better deal with the cavitation happening +45kn. This pair of foils could allow them to reach average speeds closer to 50kn. They are planning of adding it after the Jules Verne trophy.

PS bis : Cyril Dardashti, the Gitana team principal, said in the live they made on youtube today that Gitana 17 broke its previous speed record and reached a speed of 49 knots ("49 noeuds et des poussières" = "49 knots and a little more").

Peach = pitch. I agree that the active flight control system is probably worth a 5-10% performance gain over Sodebo averaged over a 24h period in the same weather conditions.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, stief said:

Match race video

 

I tried the automatic English subtitles, but I think that the constant humming of the foils is messing up with the voice recognition algorithm.... Nothing special in the VHF discussion, Thomas Coville saying that it is great to have them nearby and wishing each other to take care...

What I found interesting is that at the end, Thomas Coville is not too sure who exactly he was talking to, on Gitana, so he asks his crew. And his crew anwers without hesitation, "Erwan". aka Erwan Israël. You can tell it is a small world; they know each other well enough to recognise a voice on the VHF...

I also liked the last comment from Thomas Rouxel: "and we are gone for 40 days of match-racing! You remember the Volvo race? Bah, it's the same thing... but at 45 knots..."

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Laurent said:

 

You can tell it is a small world; they know each other well enough to recognise a voice on the VHF...

 

 

Well given Sodebo, Gitana, and Spindrift are the only boats to really do crewed record attempts/races, yeah, its a REALLY small world. I'm sure they've all sailed on every ultim atleast once, or close to it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TPG said:

its a REALLY small world. I'm sure they've all sailed on every ultim atleast once, or close to it.

Small indeed. Easy to respect that kind of sailing club elitism over blazers. And their larger club: the round-the-world-in-monos qualifications.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I now see on both teams' website trackers that they are now reflecting each other.  Good on them!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

jules.png

Fields in the graph are speed, course, report age (mins)

Raw data:

gitana:

Quote

1789a5e01400a61a638595592b1872f1        34.47321        -21.55482       27.5    211     2020-11-26 17:02:00     4       8.0     2.6     205.6
722fde78f4d8d2abe3de9c7a1594a699        34.29683        -21.67464       27.3    219     2020-11-26 17:28:40     15      12.1    0.4     209.3
7c93f4be1e2f978bb0bacd8dd0d1dc73        34.09859        -21.80955       24.1    217     2020-11-26 17:56:58     4       13.6    2.4     209.4
4b8f2df6ced8ef4b342fac3605c50d98        34.06328        -21.83418       28.3    220     2020-11-26 18:02:30     2       2.4     0.4     210.0
b86de4f457e82914489032928eff4d04        34.00455        -21.87257       3.2     210     2020-11-26 18:09:08     2       4.0     1.1     208.5
4ae1f74bdac25b9305386471eb51fcbf        33.96667        -21.9   3.1     217     2020-11-26 18:15:46     2       2.6     2.3     211.0
40fa978b09debd136654bcc9cd9cb141        33.91667        -21.93333       3.8     210     2020-11-26 18:20:37     4       3.4     3.2     209.0
be48ddb6b4f25f1bd52f9bdc5c62f505        33.86412        -21.97395       3.3     209     2020-11-26 18:27:33     4       3.7     3.3     212.7
6a002c4ba4c14d19f1afd63f683c5af6        33.87              -21.96833       3.6     211     2020-11-26 18:28:35     10      0.5     0.5     38.4
93f7fac83691cebb1f3e46e4c4c49c7e        33.77667        -22.02833       3.1     208     2020-11-26 18:39:09     3       6.3     5.7     208.1
 

sodebo:

Quote

f34498c8778f96af2abb642cca6b19bc        35.05917        -19.83601       33.3    198     2020-11-26 15:35:33     7       64.4    65.0    0
44f990d93574c5d8fc5e9a7928fc9255        35.00045        -19.87602       31.5    211     2020-11-26 15:44:08     5       65.6    65.7    0
ffd9c4679d88448f497a7cdf49a99a4e        34.87007        -19.96475       32.2    204     2020-11-26 15:58:44     8       62.6    64.9    0
445131c822338fa8268c5a128d64090d        34.81017        -19.99783       33.3    199     2020-11-26 16:06:53     7       65.1    66.7    0
21aecc500ade7dd634053b680d743e97        34.36037        -20.27063       26.8    223     2020-11-26 17:03:00     3       61.8    62.7    0
0f32cdb07da8e1200c91b5ba2fe45c1d        34.31897        -20.31453       42.7    205     2020-11-26 17:10:52     2       62.3    64.0    0
389700ecd4a3eb36879801dc1d1eeb1f        34.17385        -20.38457       34.2    188     2020-11-26 17:25:49     11      60.9    64.4    0
68a604ffc9af270c821a858bbd456ec4        34.15333        -20.39177       31.1    200     2020-11-26 17:28:40     15      60.9    64.8    0
2f5dd339fcc25b3fb1d2bd5da24e98d4        33.99831        -20.46717       33.4    199     2020-11-26 17:44:58     16      62.7    66.0    0
da1b3b6c52c599f5d4c4c6c20f1c12b3        33.595            -20.64333       3.2     202     2020-11-26 18:32:09     10      68.3    68.4    06

What happened? Slowdown?

 

edit. Gitana back up to speed, reported 4 mins ago:

33.69406        -22.09714        37.7    216 

Sodebo report still missing, but will come soon I hope.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like that the Sodebo site turned on the media button. 49765346_ScreenShot2020-11-26at10_52_57AM.thumb.png.9b59ce9cedc3ddf8d0bc31b5ae07e596.png 

 too bad I can't understand the latest audio :P

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah. Great--subtitled version of the prep offered by Gitana

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Laurent said:

You can tell it is a small world; they know each other well enough to recognise a voice on the VHF...

Indeed it is, considering the fact the two teams headquarters and hangars are 50 meters apparts from each other and that the two boats are docked on the same pontoon. It shows how localized the Utlim class is at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching the latest Gitana video, Franck Cammas says that it's important if they forget about Sodebo and sail their own race.  If they focus on racing another yacht, it will cause them to take unnecessary risks, which could be costly.  I understand this, but how can you forget about Sodebo when they're so close?!  F*ck, but what a time to be alive!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TPG said:

Well given Sodebo, Gitana, and Spindrift are the only boats to really do crewed record attempts/races, yeah, its a REALLY small world. I'm sure they've all sailed on every ultim atleast once, or close to it.

Spindrift does not do attempts ..... they publish a lot of spin about it but to this point they don't follow through.....can anyone here explain this ...?

4 hours ago, Ripclaw said:

I now see on both teams' website trackers that they are now reflecting each other.  Good on them!

Best thing to wake up to this morning... both teams are doing it.... thankyou

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

sort of tried

????

They dismated once on the way to the start line, broke a rudder near Australia the second time, and broke the rudder system near Portugal the third time.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, stief said:

 too bad I can't understand the latest audio :P

 

Ask and you shall receive... with my comments in italic.

 

"François Duguet speaking, 2nd day on Jules Verne attempt, 8:30AM UTC.

We started with great sailing conditions, we are on the Southbound highway! (Southbound highway, or " l'autoroute du Sud ", in French, is a symbol of summer vacation, if you live in the Paris area, when you take the Southbound highway, it means that you are heading for the Mediterranean Sea, sunny beaches, pastis, pétanque and bikini girls.... :D)

It's going fast. We had a few maneuvers during the first night, 2 or 3 jibes; for the last 24 hrs, we are on the same tack, but with some sail changes.

There is a strong Northern wind flow, pushing us to the South West, and we are going full blast. The sailing conditions are good; we did not see much of the sun yesterday, but it is getting better with some blue sky and warmer; the sea state is good with a swell from the North, pushing us. It's moving fast...

I slept well the first day, but did not eat much... My shift is with François Morvan and Thomas Rouxel. We share the duties between tuning the sails and piloting; everything is great!"

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Laurent. Bonus was the comment about the South. No machine would explain that. :D

Speaking of 'going south '-- Happy Thanksgivng. (Never have so many of us been so thankful to so few voters).

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Laurent said:

Ask and you shall receive... with my comments in italic.

 

We are not worthy! Thank you for explaining!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ripclaw said:

Watching the latest Gitana video, Franck Cammas says that it's important if they forget about Sodebo and sail their own race.  If they focus on racing another yacht, it will cause them to take unnecessary risks, which could be costly.  I understand this, but how can you forget about Sodebo when they're so close?!  F*ck, but what a time to be alive!!!

This one, right? Looks like they only take an hour to get the EN version up.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, c_me said:

Indeed it is, considering the fact the two teams headquarters and hangars are 50 meters apparts from each other and that the two boats are docked on the same pontoon. It shows how localized the Utlim class is at the moment.

Well they're all west coast of France / Brittany based, and have been for some time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not smooth sailing on Sodebo. Seems like a party going on. Snowflake caution: the auto translate into EN gets confused by the noise ("fucking daddy behind")

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bebmoumoute said:

????

They dismated once on the way to the start line, broke a rudder near Australia the second time, and broke the rudder system near Portugal the third time.

Yeah fair call.... I was being a little facetious ... It just seems they have been on weather hold many times and just seems doomed to me... It can't be lack of funding as Donna has more money than god.... 
The boat would now be behind on tech if they can't fully foil... or have they build new foils....?
Now that I got my wish of both being on the tracker, can i ask for the IMOCA's to join that party...?

Loving this

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DtM said:

Your wish was their command mon capitaine.

Are you keen to try a Jules Verne with me....?
How far do reckon we'd get this time...???
 

IMG_5658.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Benchmarking this run to the equator: (Yann Guichard holds the record made in 2015 at 4 d 21 h 29 min)

Cool to see Nélias' routes and times from almost two weeks ago

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pil,  I'm keen to give it a go - why not ?

Not that i can recognise your boat upside down,  but I am guessing that is XL2 ?

Is that you sitting down,  with the other 3 looking around for rocks so they can throw them at you ?  :huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hahaha  no that's actually @DtM riding my center pod.... he looks relaxed...... Im the short guy in the middle trying to ponder what the f#ck it just cost....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, stief said:

Not smooth sailing on Sodebo. Seems like a party going on. Snowflake caution: the auto translate into EN gets confused by the noise ("fucking daddy behind")

 

Today was the birthday of Thomas Rouxel on Sodebo, so the crew is digging out a home made cake they took with them and set up a makeshift candle to blow... with the gastop lighter (I presume...).

François Duguet explains that they already knew that it was his birthday... because last year, it was already on the boat while they were coming back from South Africa...

As he is preparing the cake, he is saying " lukily, the cakes from Ma'am Moussard are holding together pretty well! It is not exactly as if we had smooth sailing conditions..."

Thomas Coville coming in the discussion from behind " you don't have to spend the whole day to prepare a cake for Tom Rouxel; move on! (tongue in cheek...). Spending the whole day in front of the oven!"

François Duguet replies: "listen, it means only that there are no technical issues on board; it's rather good news!"

 

You can tell there is a good mood on board and they would not want to be anywhere else than where they are right now...

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites