Editor

melges to quantum

Melges Performance Sailboats , a longtime North Sails affiliate (North Sails Zenda) is making the switch to Quantum Sails. (Just like I did haha. - ed). This is not an insignificant move with a ton of implications, for example what of the Melges IC 37, wherein North Sails is the only class legal sails? We suspect a quick rewrite of the class rules to be forthcoming!

We don't know what precipitated the move, although there is something strange about this, from the North side we think. More to come, we are sure.

Care to discuss?

I thought Melges were only involved with the sales and promotion of the class and not the actual build. I’d imagine that would separate that one class from the rest of the Melges production line. I’ve been known to be wrong. Who could resist selling out to the deVos clan?!

So does North Sails, Zenda switch to North Sails, Lake Geneva?

Makes sense...two extremely rich white families from traditional upper midwest where dairy farmers know to keep on their side of the pond.  Why not join forces?  Simplifies ordering. Who needs sails built in the desert by Left Coast Liberals when you can get Chinese imports at 1/2 the cost and twice the profit?  It's the American way.

2 hours ago, Editor said:

Melges Performance Sailboats , a longtime North Sails affiliate (North Sails Zenda) is making the switch to Quantum Sails. (Just like I did haha. - ed). This is not an insignificant move with a ton of implications, for example what of the Melges IC 37, wherein North Sails is the only class legal sails? We suspect a quick rewrite of the class rules to be forthcoming!

We don't know what precipitated the move, although there is a rumor that the DeVos family has bought Melges Boatworks and if so, well then there is your answer! More to come, we are sure.

Care to discuss?

I’ll go with the simple answer, after Terry passed away, the local connection was gone. After that, the bidding war came into play. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sail4beer said:

I thought Melges were only involved with the sales and promotion of the class and not the actual build. I’d imagine that would separate that one class from the rest of the Melges production line. I’ve been known to be wrong. Who could resist selling out to the deVos clan?!

Don’t know about the current situation, but once upon a time they were building the 24, and the scows, in Zenda.  As Buddy was alleged to have said, Zenda wasn’t the end of the earth but you could see if from there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

I would think that because Melges manages the class they would want owners to be able to buy Q's now.

1 hour ago, jerseyguy said:

Don’t know about the current situation, but once upon a time they were building the 24, and the scows, in Zenda.  As Buddy was alleged to have said, Zenda wasn’t the end of the earth but you could see if from there.

They’re still building them. I was there last year. There is nothing but cows and cow farts out there. Nice place

2 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Anyone not focused on the almighty dollar and who doesn't want to taint their soul for all eternity.

If North does make that move, it would certainly be an upgrade for the employees.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Left Shift said:

Anyone not focused on the almighty dollar and who doesn't want to taint their soul for all eternity.

If North does make that move, it would certainly be an upgrade for the employees.

it sounds like just the Zenda loft and connection to Melges is going Q.  North Sails are still owned by Oakley Captial

We can confirm that Quantum did not buy Melges, but we do have a good idea that Oakley Capital is making decisions that care little about people, and more about money. Draw your own conclusions.

1 hour ago, Editor said:

We can confirm that Quantum did not buy Melges, but we do have a good idea that Oakley Capital is making decisions that care little about people, and more about money. Draw your own conclusions.

That’s not a shocker. Vulture capitalists run spreadsheets and talk about EBITDA.

thats it

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Editor said:

That's how the Devos clan operates too.  Can't wait to be a Founders Saphire Melges 24 pusher.  My Aunt definitely needs one.

• Like 5

Long story short........n this is the truth, melges/zenda had a golden goose agreement made back in the day (by v.b) that made it extremely beneficial for melges when they were doing what they were doing well. Now that Things have softened substantially, they were seen by n/s as being not worth the standing agreement, when it came time for negotiations n/s would absoluetely not budge. I love zenda and (old) n/s, have worked at both, was wondering when it wuld come up here as a wtf is happening at n/s thread, as many employees have a shit ton to say