Steve_sos

Light wind drifter sail

Would like a light wind sail. At the moment we have a large Genoa and a symmetrical spinnaker.

Watching the latest Atticus video they have fitted a removable synthetic Solent stay which they can use with a smaller headsail and a lightweight Drifter sail. This to me looks like a very good idea and was wondering if it would work on our cat. Another advantage is a spare emergency stay!

Another point that I liked was that the Drifter was fitted to the stay by a continuous luff zip which looked very easy to set.

Anyone used one of these or have any thoughts ?

If you have a LARGE genoa (>135% J for example) you might not gain much extra sail area. A lighter cloth will certainly set nicer in light winds.

Their drifter doesn't look like an upwind sail to me. Seems very full cut, closer to a C0

Yes it will work on a cat.  The sail they show here is more of a Code Zero than a drifter (back to that in a moment).  On a cat we would call it a screecher but the overall concept is similiar.  Its good for tight to broad (60-120 true) reaching in 5-13 knots.  On a cat I would highly recommend running a Code Zero material (DP CZ or better) because of the added loads.  If you are going to do another stay look into a furler with a proper torsion cable.  If that is too spendy for you just put a dyneema luff cable on it and bag launch it like a kite.  Both will be easier than a zipper.

And back to a drifter.  I generally refer to a drifter as a small (usually 100% LP or less) and light weight (DP CZ 5) sail that gets you moving in 0-5.  Think staysail.  We generally do not see them on cruising boats because they have the ultimate light air sail, the iron genoa.

voom-300x200.jpg

11 hours ago, Bad Andy said:

Yes it will work on a cat.  The sail they show here is more of a Code Zero than a drifter (back to that in a moment).  On a cat we would call it a screecher but the overall concept is similiar.  Its good for tight to broad (60-120 true) reaching in 5-13 knots.  On a cat I would highly recommend running a Code Zero material (DP CZ or better) because of the added loads.  If you are going to do another stay look into a furler with a proper torsion cable.  If that is too spendy for you just put a dyneema luff cable on it and bag launch it like a kite.  Both will be easier than a zipper.

And back to a drifter.  I generally refer to a drifter as a small (usually 100% LP or less) and light weight (DP CZ 5) sail that gets you moving in 0-5.  Think staysail.  We generally do not see them on cruising boats because they have the ultimate light air sail, the iron genoa.

voom-300x200.jpg

If I have a dyneema luff cable does that mean I don't need the sythetic solent stay? I would need a deck attachement point behind the roller furling

and just use the spinnaker halyard?

Trying to avoid using the iron genoa :D

4 hours ago, Steve_sos said:

If I have a dyneema luff cable does that mean I don't need the sythetic solent stay? I would need a deck attachement point behind the roller furling

and just use the spinnaker halyard?

Trying to avoid using the iron genoa :D

Exactly, and its way easier.  Where do you tack your spinnaker to?  I'd tack the screecher there as well.

• Like 2

I tack the spinnaker to a block on each bow which is why I guess another

block behind the roller furling would be needed.

I have only seen screechers set on a bowsprit on a cat?

On 9/16/2020 at 1:18 AM, Steve_sos said:

Would like a light wind sail. At the moment we have a large Genoa and a symmetrical spinnaker.

Watching the latest Atticus video they have fitted a removable synthetic Solent stay which they can use with a smaller headsail and a lightweight Drifter sail. This to me looks like a very good idea and was wondering if it would work on our cat. Another advantage is a spare emergency stay!

I used one on my trimaran (F242).  I made it as a sprit sail with a high clew, good torque rope in the luff set on a bottom up furler and made out of 3/4 oz nylon; I made it with 12 % camber and very little foot or leach round.  It was sheeted short of the jib clew but outboard so I could keep the jib out on a reach (about 15 degrees off CL).  Worked well to weather in 0-5 instead of the jib at 55 to 60 degrees off the wind..  Worked well on a reach along with jib (cutter style).   Worked very well as a storm spinnaker in 35 kts plus.  I used this sail in lieu of a screecher as it was more versatile and actually worked better upwind than a code zero or screacher in 0-5 and required a lot less luff/bowsprit tension.  When wind piped to 8 or more it couldn't be used upwind (apparent wind at that time about 13).  

• Like 1

You might want to enquire about UK's drifter that they advertise.  Sounds like it would work for you.  https://www.uksailmakers.com/encyclopedia/4-8-drifter

Luff tension is important for this sail to work so you probably will need to take the halyard to a winch.  Don't oversheet.  Hank it on over the furled jib like a cruising asymspin.  Simple and suits your boat.  Might consider having it made same size as your large genoa so you can use the same sheeting.  

• Like 1

We have a drifter 150% set flying with a snuffer sock- it works upwind and down by messing with luff tension.  (Not a racing sail) It’s kind of too much, and I think a 120%-130% might be better. (This is all on a mono cruising sled) You might be able to launch and retrieve using a snuffer lying on deck. Fly it inside your forestay , and you’ll use it all the time, in light airs overlap is not a big deal, especially if the sail is modern nylon and light- 

here’s an example, although on a smaller boat

2620917C-8C42-409B-AF16-2B223BD036F4.jpeg

• Like 1