Dick may be my favorite living hero. He certainly is that sailing hero. I have been blessed with the opportunity to ask Dick questions for over six decades. 
Let me simply say He is in no condition to sail a Laser this week. Whatever your method of offering support might be, please do. 

He has a Wikipedia  page!!! 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Tillman

6ADA7A90-9EC7-4CD5-B441-FAE2E0DF21A1.jpeg

C0D8BD30-2E83-4F5D-9081-26BC9075A66C.jpeg

• Like 3

Yep, met him a couple of times at regattas. Super sailor and a super guy.

Genuinely sending best wishes for him

FB- Doug

Never met the guy, but I do have this excellent book in my library:

51P75A2pe4L._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Wish him the best.

• Like 1

Best wishes to Dick and his family

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chuso007 said:

Never met the guy, but I do have this excellent book in my library:

51P75A2pe4L._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Wish him the best.

I've got an autographed copy of a different edition.  As I said in the other thread, he was one of the experts when I went to Rick White's sailing camp many moons ago.  Super nice guy, very adept at explaining his Olympian-level expertise to novice sailors looking to get better.

Wish everything well for him and his family.

• Like 1

Saw Dick last weekend and his spirit remains strong. He one of the truly great people in sailing. I wish him all the best.

• Like 1

This message is being sent on behalf of Dick Tillman from his 3 daughters:

So many of you have reached out to inquire about Dad’s health. As the summer progressed, Dad’s energy level and ability to live his active life has declined. Initially diagnosed with Prostate cancer in 2002, he has clearly continued to live a full and adventurous life. The cancer has now spread and has invaded his bladder. And with it, there are additional impacts to his general health. There are a couple of procedures scheduled in the coming week that we hope will provide him some relief, in the near term. Dad has expressed such gratitude for the love and prayers being extended by those who have heard about his health status.

We have established a CaringBridge site to best serve Dad and all of you through his health journey ahead, found at  https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/dicktillman

Please share this news with those who may want to know and follow how he is doing in case we may have missed anyone. It would be most helpful to direct any response you may have through the CaringBridge site vs replying to this email. Dad’s health updates will be shared through this site moving forward. Note: To access updates, you may need to create an account with CaringBridge.

With love, 
Laure, Libbie and Susan
  • Like 3

So sorry to read that.

I interacted with Dick a few times at high level Laser and Sunfish events. He was well known in those circles and I was an absolute nobody. Nevertheless, Dick was so kind towards me (and my spouse) once we were introduced to one another. A true gentleman (and champion) sailor.

• Like 3

Never met him but have read his book.  A name that is sailing!  RIP 

2 hours ago, George Hackett said:

Never met him but have read his book.  A name that is sailing!  RIP 

Not yet!!!!! 

if this works There will be PDF of an article by Judy Lawson which was printed in the November Soundings magazine. This should be a copy of the page where it was reprinted in the April 1972 Canadian Laser Association News

On my computer. I clicked on the file, SA asked permission to download, then it downloaded, and I opened the file . 

There is probably a better way to do it so I will wit for advice before posting more PDFs of 1970's articles I scanned tonight

JudyLawsonarticle.pdf

• Like 1

Dick is a member of our YC.

Last time we talked He wasn't feel well.

Hang in there dick, I know how tough you are.

18 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Thack you.  Cryeng licke a babey...........                       :)

Stop it!

"The ILCA (International Laser Class Association) Hall of Fame, which honors individuals who, over the course of their sailing careers, made an outstanding impact on the Laser Class and the sport of sailboat racing, has confirmed Dick Tillman (USA) as its latest inductee."

From another  site 

• Like 2

I had the joy of serving on the US Windsurfing Board of Directors with Dick.  He was one of the nicest guys around and highly respected.  He was pivotal in our dealings with US Sailing.  

Hang in there buddy.

On 9/17/2020 at 6:29 AM, torrid said:

I've got an autographed copy of a different edition.  As I said in the other thread, he was one of the experts when I went to Rick White's sailing camp many moons ago.  Super nice guy, very adept at explaining his Olympian-level expertise to novice sailors looking to get better.

Wish everything well for him and his family.

+1

Met him at Rick White Laser Clinic.   Bunch of us had dinner with him.  A good guy.   

As a '70s Laser racer and a prostate cancer survivor myself, I get a hollow feeling - best wishes!

• Like 1

Dick always tried to make it back, to Melbourne, for our Fall  Regatta.

Its this weekend.

He will be sorely missed,doing what he did so well.

Sucks to live and let live when you do it better than anyone else.

Fair winds, Dick...

Fair winds, following seas, and thanks for all the advice both in print and after racing.  You were one of my sailing idols growing up.  RIP

This sucks!  He was a legend and could not have been a nicer person.  I went to do a Lightning regatta years ago at Wawasee Yacht Club in Syracuse, IN.  We were told we were staying at a club members house and to head down the road about 5 houses and let yourself in.  They didnt mention whose home we were staying in.

So we wander down the road, walk in the door, and no one is home.  As I walk around the kitchen and living room I start to see the Laser, Snipe, and Sunfish awards on the walls.  There are North American and World Championship trophies and plaques all over the place.  It took me a few minutes of "What in the hell did I walk into in the middle of Amish Indiana" to finally figure out where I was.  Dick came home a few minutes later and could not have been kinder or more welcoming.

It is still one of my favorite brushes with sailing greatness.

MS

• Like 1

Such a loss. Dick was a wonderful person who encouraged everyone, even those of us in the back of the fleet. Fair winds Dick.

RIP Mr Tillman.  An absolute legendary figure in laser sailing and American sailing in general.

While this legend has fallen, Mr Tillman's legacy will live on for a very very long time through the sailors and their children and grandchildren that were inspired by his leadership, teaching and phenomenal sailing. 

• Like 3