Sign in to follow this  
Jules

But a T-Shirt, Get A Free Sail

So Doyle has this sale going on where if you buy a T-shirt, they will throw in a free sail.  Granted, the T-shirts are a bit pricey but getting free stuff is cool

sails_001.jpg.d1ae2b4486cdb5d82dcbfb2277f0db29.jpg

And they also tossed in a couple of Doyle COVID masks. 

• Like 1

follow up pics when hoisted please :)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mid said:

follow up pics when hoisted please :)

It may be a while.  We're still in the questionable hurricane time.  And I have to finish the sail pack. 

I'm kinda anxious to see how the sails perform.  I've never sailed a boat with new sails, let alone tri-radials.  Though I have looked upon with envy.  It's kinda of a sad story when you have to wait until you're almost 70 to experience that.  But who gives a fuck?  Right?

We did stop at Sharky's on the way back and they have some very good rum.  I brought some back... :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Might want to be very careful opening up those battens, keep a tight grip on the coil.

Which you should do before to long to let them lay out.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, See Level said:

second that 

9 hours ago, Jules said:

It may be a while.  We're still in the questionable hurricane time.  And I have to finish the sail pack. 

I'm kinda anxious to see how the sails perform.  I've never sailed a boat with new sails, let alone tri-radials.  Though I have looked upon with envy.  It's kinda of a sad story when you have to wait until you're almost 70 to experience that.  But who gives a fuck?  Right?

We did stop at Sharky's on the way back and they have some very good rum.  I brought some back... :rolleyes:

Mid 60's and just got first set of brand new sails last year.  Wear sunglasses!

• Like 1

I’m happy that you didn’t have to wait until your 80’s to get them! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, See Level said:

Might want to be very careful opening up those battens, keep a tight grip on the coil.

I did this badly once.. second time was better but I can’t remember the technique required.

I think it was hold coil with the exposed batten end at the bottom of the circle against the floor. Cut the first bit of tape then unroll, repeat as required. Don’t stand in the way when cutting the last bit of tape

.... of course I may be wrong

Thanks for the heads up on the batttens.  I clamped them, removed the tape and eased off on the clamp.  No surprises. 

But what did surprise me was the fiberglass splinters.  As soon as picked up the roll I immediately got hit.  And those things are a bitch to see and worse than wood splinters.

21 minutes ago, Jules said:

Thanks for the heads up on the batttens.  I clamped them, removed the tape and eased off on the clamp.  No surprises. 

But what did surprise me was the fiberglass splinters.  As soon as picked up the roll I immediately got hit.  And those things are a bitch to see and worse than wood splinters.

Yeah, your basic pultruded glass battens are notorious for being dry and splintery. They also are not very good as battens; too soft and no taper so they can't support much roach or a straight exit.

49 minutes ago, Jules said:

On my old sail, which was full battened also, with old, vert splintery FRP battens, I foam brush painted them with some yellow (that is what I had) rustoleum urethane enamel from the hardware store.  No more splinters and they still look good 3 years later, after 2 years of use, no cracking or flaking.  Don't know if using a thin epoxy would be better.  The new sail full battens don't seem to have that problem, yet.

I remember my free "Sail with a Hard On" tee shirt.

7 hours ago, Proneshooter said:

Always good advice, "when the dick goes hard the mind goes soft" as we used to say.

13 hours ago, Proneshooter said:

I remember the ad with the cute girl!