ITA602

Harken INC has new owners

Good luck to the new owners!

everyone quickly, take a step back!.....ITA602 crossed the streams!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hobot said:

everyone quickly, take a step back!.....ITA602 crossed the streams!

“Human sacrifice! Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria!”

• Like 1

For some reason I thought Harken had been sold to a private equity company a few years ago....  guess I was wrong - must've been thinking of some other sailing company.

I wonder if there’s a PE company here behind the team. Would be normal. And a bit concerning.

• Like 1

This is how real people with the interests of their employees and community do things.  The Gougeon Brothers did something like this as well a few years back.  Employee owned.

• Like 1

Our local pulp mill was taken over by the employees after successive rounds of corporate buyouts followed by corporate bankruptcies - apparently bigger is better doesn't work when corporate debt service exceeds profits - who knew?  Now it is flourishing and the employee investors have made a lot of money - enough for many of them to retire early.  This type of thing is a good news story for Harken, and will certainly encourage customer support for the company.

• Like 2

Owned by all US employees I’m told 

58 minutes ago, ScowLover said:

The local business news indicated that a bank financed the deal. 

That’s very good news.

I think this move is great!

Was just on the phone the other day regarding a genoa car lead (that they do not make anymore) and, the tech was happy to walk me thru the process.

Hope they make a lot of money and that I can afford to buy their products (more than just the bearings & loader needed).

Sail Safe!

2 minutes ago, SailRacer said:

I think this move is great!

Was just on the phone the other day regarding a genoa car lead (that they do not make anymore) and, the tech was happy to walk me thru the process.

Hope they make a lot of money and that I can afford to buy their products (more than just the bearings & loader needed).

Sail Safe!

Same experience a couple of weeks ago.  Tech took a lot of time with me to find a replacement cam cleat for a very old, but still fully functional triple ratchet mainsheet block.  I was disappointed parts were not available for repair but now I have a new cleat with nice grippy surfaces.  I  am sure the cleat sale didn't go very far to pay for their time.  Wishing them continued success.

• Like 3

Glad to see this transition!  Billy Goggins will do a good job taking over the helm.  I first walked into Harken/North Sails in the late 60's as a kid going to hear a sail trimming seminar by Peter Barrett. My little bro rolled resin at Vanguard for Finns and 470's back in the day....beer in the soda machine and their in-house band "Big Stink and the Smell"....still remember a concert at the Waukesha Expo where the band entered the stage through a large toilet bowl.  Classic stuff and great people.  Here is a nice write up on Harken's history from their website:  https://www.harken.com/History/

I was blessed to have had breakfast 20yrs ago at Chicago Yacht Club with Peter Harken and Meade Gougeon.  I did say blessed.  I was mute just in awe of these giants but somehow got dragged into the conversation and mentioned what great support each of their firms had.  On Harken, I told Peter about how I had ordered some ball bearings to rebuild a traveler car that had blown past the end cap.  I think they were two bucks and don't even think they charged me postage.  So how do I load the bearings and keep them in place while I put the car on the track?  Flipping the boat 180 degrees would have made it easy, but not practical.  So I'm on the phone with the support guy explaining my dilemma and he utters two words, shaving cream.  Full face plant, such a simple solution.  

Not to be outdone, I explained to Meade how I had bought iceboat (DN) plans from his firm and couldn't read a few of the dimensions.  I called and his guy spent 20 minutes on my ten or fifteen dollar plans going through my issues and finally asked, why don't I just blow these up and fax them to you, sure, I was screwing off at work and no one cared about personal faxes.  So, I get these beautiful enlargements a few minutes later.  Then, yes, I get a call from Bay City confirming that I got the fax.  Shit, I think the guy wanted to drive to my home and help finish the build!

Both of them mentioned that they expected no less from their employees.  I am very pleased that Gougeon is still run well by family and that Harken will carry on. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

I was blessed to have had breakfast 20yrs ago at Chicago Yacht Club with Peter Harken and Meade Gougeon.  I did say blessed.  I was mute just in awe of these giants but somehow got dragged into the conversation and mentioned what great support each of their firms had.  On Harken, I told Peter about how I had ordered some ball bearings to rebuild a traveler car that had blown past the end cap.  I think they were two bucks and don't even think they charged me postage.  So how do I load the bearings and keep them in place while I put the car on the track?  Flipping the boat 180 degrees would have made it easy, but not practical.  So I'm on the phone with the support guy explaining my dilemma and he utters two words, shaving cream.  Full face plant, such a simple solution.  

Not to be outdone, I explained to Meade how I had bought iceboat (DN) plans from his firm and couldn't read a few of the dimensions.  I called and his guy spent 20 minutes on my ten or fifteen dollar plans going through my issues and finally asked, why don't I just blow these up and fax them to you, sure, I was screwing off at work and no one cared about personal faxes.  So, I get these beautiful enlargements a few minutes later.  Then, yes, I get a call from Bay City confirming that I got the fax.  Shit, I think the guy wanted to drive to my home and help finish the build!

Both of them mentioned that they expected no less from their employees.  I am very pleased that Gougeon is still run well by family and that Harken will carry on. 

And I remember you passing along both those stories to me at some point.  Great times, smiling faces!  And GREAT people!

• Like 1

Amazing what a business can do for everyone involved when it's run by good people.

Well done, everyone wins here.

10 hours ago, Geff said:

And I remember you passing along both those stories to me at some point.  Great times, smiling faces!  And GREAT people!

Thanks for being there and Jack Sr?  Guy is a,mazing.  

6 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Thanks for being there and Jack Sr?  Guy is a,mazing.  

Right on!  He's still going strong at 96!

• Like 1

Thank God they did not sell to some private equity idiots who want to save a few cents on each winch handle and will let the company go down if they don't milk it for all the cash they can get. Sounds like current management will keep it a leader in the i industry.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2020 at 1:13 PM, mgs said:

Owned by all US employees I’m told 

I have Harken products. In the future I will be 100% Harken. Nice to see this.

An excellent way to pass the torch. Well done!!